Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 911 R Thread Closed

m4ever:

From what I understood the local dealer does not have much weight in the allocation process. A friend of mine who has CGT, GT1 and other amazing and significant Porsches will get one despite he last bought a new Porsche many years ago. He is a real enthusiast and I guess deserves one.

Smiley Also, I think that dealers are very happy about this "decision process" because they don't make much money on this special model anyway and they do not want to offend customers by telling them "sorry, you're not the one getting it". The dealers can now tell customers that Porsche makes the decision, so customers aren't mad at the dealers. I still heard however that dealers can make recommendations but if a dealer has several "good" customers, this is going to be difficult. Porsche will very likely choose based on how good the customer is and how his "record" is and that he isn't on that black (actually I think it is called red) list (speculators, etc.).

So if someone bought a 918 or a 991 GT3 RS and sold it after a few weeks, I doubt that he is going to get the R. No matter how good of a customer he is/was. Of course it is Porsche who decides...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

This 991 R is something like God recently – everyone has heard about it, but no one has seen it… indecision

Good hype and exciting times ahead…

This is how you create a Halo car  - being quiet 

Kobalt:

This is how you create a Halo car  - being quiet 

Smiley I actually know a bit more about this product but I said it before, I heard it only from one single source and it is too dangerous to post details because it could be a trick to unveil the source (has happened before, believe it or not).

The product is real, this is all I can say and it will be very special (for a 911 special edition model).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    m4ever:

From what I understood the local dealer does not have much weight in the allocation process. A friend of mine who has CGT, GT1 and other amazing and significant Porsches will get one despite he last bought a new Porsche many years ago. He is a real enthusiast and I guess deserves one.

Smiley Also, I think that dealers are very happy about this "decision process" because they don't make much money on this special model anyway and they do not want to offend customers by telling them "sorry, you're not the one getting it". The dealers can now tell customers that Porsche makes the decision, so customers aren't mad at the dealers. I still heard however that dealers can make recommendations but if a dealer has several "good" customers, this is going to be difficult. Porsche will very likely choose based on how good the customer is and how his "record" is and that he isn't on that black (actually I think it is called red) list (speculators, etc.).

So if someone bought a 918 or a 991 GT3 RS and sold it after a few weeks, I doubt that he is going to get the R. No matter how good of a customer he is/was. Of course it is Porsche who decides...

Fully  Agree - that makes a lot of sense to off load the selection process responsibility from dealers to Porsche in order not to "ruin" local customer relationships. I am very much looking forward to seeing the final specs of the car that will be shown in Geneva in March.  

RC:
     I actually know a bit more about this product

RC:  You tease, you!    Smiley

Kobalt:
    RC:
     I actually know a bit more about this product

RC:  You tease, you!    Smiley

Sorry, I should have kept my mouth shut. Smiley 

Only thing I do not know for sure is the precise price tag and if the car really has manual only (so far it seems that way which is odd for various reasons).

--

RC:
    Only thing I do not know for sure is the precise price tag and if the car really has manual only (so far it seems that way which is odd for various reasons).

Smiley    Smiley

This unicorn is real. I will see it next month on the 28th, couple days before it is officially unveiled at Geneva.

Until then, just about every single source is tight lipped. Can't pry anything from them. yes

--

Whatever it is in the end, Porsche will sell all of them and create a halo car. Great marketing as usual.

The sad part is that what people want is a GT3 without wing, with 4 seats and PDK and that this car, even if it has those specs, will not fill that void since it is limited.Smiley

SciFrog:

Whatever it is in the end, Porsche will sell all of them and create a halo car. Great marketing as usual.

The sad part is that what people want is a GT3 without wing, with 4 seats and PDK and that this car, even if it has those specs, will not fill that void since it is limited.Smiley

Porsche called that the Panamera GTS Smiley

--

@RC - it doesnt make sense to me at all, but I heard it from someone sitting in the center sales Team Germany. So it somehow should be true.

Yes - another Halo car. We are seeing more and more of them from Porsche. Very smart move actually. Since the "normal" 911 are flooding the market they needed to make it more sexy. What is more sexy than a limited car. Nice effect - customers are coming for the limited cars back to the dealers and as they can't get the sexy car, they buy the normal one. Just check how many limited cars we did see in 2015 - 918, Cayment GT4, Boxster Spyder, GT3 RS, various country specific limitations.... - this all make sense out of marketing reasons. Current market developements around the 911 are spectacular anyway. yes

Sad truth is that Porsche is capacity limited in making the GT3/GT3RS engines, there aren't enough to go around to satisfy all demands.

--

Whoopsy:

Sad truth is that Porsche is capacity limited in making the GT3/GT3RS engines, there aren't enough to go around to satisfy all demands.

True - they might be limited today. But if demand goes up it shouldn't be to difficult to increase that capacity. But - they want to keep that car special, so they will keep the production limited anyway. 

The GT3 engine could have made it to the Carrera models as well but with the new emissions laws/etc., it is very unlikely. So far, it seems that the upcoming R will be the only wing-less GT3 from Porsche with a n/a engine. Everything seems to move towards turbo charged engines, incl. the GT models at some point. angry The beauty of it is that once the GT models get turbo charged engines as well, they can finally make it into the Carrera models.  angry

Just today, I tried to get more information about the R, the price tag is the most interesting part for me but nothing. Zilch. The rumors go from 180-240k EUR but my last information was around 230k EUR, which is quite a lot.

--

RC:

The GT3 engine could have made it to the Carrera models as well but with the new emissions laws/etc., it is very unlikely. So far, it seems that the upcoming R will be the only wing-less GT3 from Porsche with a n/a engine. Everything seems to move towards turbo charged engines, incl. the GT models at some point. angry The beauty of it is that once the GT models get turbo charged engines as well, they can finally make it into the Carrera models.  angry

Just today, I tried to get more information about the R, the price tag is the most interesting part for me but nothing. Zilch. The rumors go from 180-240k EUR but my last information was around 230k EUR, which is quite a lot.

Can you tell us, whether this car will have any design differentiations, or mainly wingless GT3?

Thanks Smiley 

All I know is that it will use some light weight parts from the GT3 RS, incl. the front hood. No side inlets though and the duck tail is also not there, unless Porsche would make it an option (which so far, it isn't). The front bumper is almost basically GT3 but the rear bumper has some sort of new rear diffuser, not seen until now on a Porsche 911. The aerodynamical balance/downforce is rumored to be very close to the winged GT3, so good work here.

Also, the car will be lighter than GT3 or GT3 RS, probably by aprox. 30-50 kg.

Yes, people will "recognize" the R, no doubt about it.

--

RC:

All I know is that it will use some light weight parts from the GT3 RS, incl. the front hood. No side inlets though and the duck tail is also not there, unless Porsche would make it an option (which so far, it isn't). The front bumper is almost basically GT3 but the rear bumper has some sort of new rear diffuser, not seen until now on a Porsche 911. The aerodynamical balance/downforce is rumored to be very close to the winged GT3, so good work here.

--

Thanks for this info RC kiss the interior is very light? panel door light etc.. thanks indecision

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

RC:

--

the weight reduction resp. GT3 mainly comes from the manual gearbox instead of PDK, correct?

peter

I wonder whether the rear wheel steering is also deleted

sfo:

I dont think so, this would make an huge impact in its performance numbers. Smiley

Lars997:
    sfo:

I dont think so, this would make an huge impact in its performance numbers. Smiley

isn't RWS intimately linked to PDK-S?

sfo:
    Lars997:
    sfo:

isn't RWS intimately linked to PDK-S?

fair point Smiley

The 911 R is not supposed to be a track car like the GT3 or GT3 RS models. Good point with AWS but I don't have a clue if it has AWS or not. Even on the PDK car I saw, I couldn't tell but true, without AWS, it would probably lose a bit on the track. Unless of course Porsche would compromise ride comfort but I doubt it.

I know the engine specs, performance specs and how the car looks but everything else is a mystery to me. PDK or manual and the price tag are still unknown factors to me.

--

I reckon manual box, and no RWS for the "pure, back to basics" experience; like the GT4 and Spyder 

RC:

The 911 R is not supposed to be a track car like the GT3 or GT3 RS models. Good point with AWS but I don't have a clue if it has AWS or not. Even on the PDK car I saw, I couldn't tell but true, without AWS, it would probably lose a bit on the track. Unless of course Porsche would compromise ride comfort but I doubt it.

I know the engine specs, performance specs and how the car looks but everything else is a mystery to me. PDK or manual and the price tag are still unknown factors to me.

Will the car have a cage?

4.0 RS motor?

--

RC show a picture of the car

--

Lars997:
    RC:

Will the car have a cage?

The car I saw had no cage (but PDK Smiley) but I saw the photos on the internet too and the car had a cage. Maybe optional or just a cage to protect the test drivers when driving on the track? The car I saw also had rear seats, so...

Like I said, I know only three things for sure: Engine, performance (0-100 and 0-200 times, Vmax) and design. Everything else is  mystery to me (I have some rumors but they are partially contradictory). 

--

LP997:

RC show a picture of the car

Gladly. In March. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775783 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440937 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262354 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260536 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879971 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814919 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM