Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

lor:

it's a mini van not an SUV

Good point. It may have AWD but it's off road capability is probably on par with the Model S.

It will have better ground clearance, some sort of pneumatic suspension... Some pretty cool tech but the car is not ready for prime time as the non folding seat fiasco shows.

lor:

it's a mini van not an SUV

+ 1. It has a strange shape, not appealing at all to my eyes, still, this is a great achievement from Tesla, they are putting the bar very high for all other mass productions car manufactors which is great for us consumers. I´ll take my hat to them Smiley

--

J.Seven

koko:
    WAY:

Am I the only one who thinks it's damn ugly? I would even take the Bentayga over this. angry

+1 this is super ugly!! Can't believe prices starts at 130k ?!

I agree. The Tesla X is probably the most ugly car on the market and this includes the Prius and others.

However, the technology is a different story, also the performance.

If Tesla gets the design right and the price down, this could be a bestseller, especially in the US.

Around 130k for the Signature Edition? Ouch. However, if you are looking at a fully optioned Cayenne Hybrid (125k), maybe things look a bit differently.

Tesla may be on the right path though, an electric SUV, even at the 2.4 t weight, could be a breakthrough for them.

Now if they could get the Tesla X to charge to 100% in five minutes, this would be the breakthrough. 80% in 30 minutes? Still not good enough, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Found a new Model X pic, not sure about the colour though.

palenimbus:

Found a new Model X pic, not sure about the colour though.

I really wonder why Tesla messed up the X design because the model S looks actually quite good, almost timeless. If Tesla thinks that customers want this kind of design, they must have very weird customers. I doubt that the typical Prius buyer would also get a Tesla X but maybe I'm wrong? Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I would reserve judgment until you can see the X in real. These type of cars just photograph badly and most people like the new nose...

SciFrog:

I would reserve judgment until you can see the X in real. These type of cars just photograph badly and most people like the new nose...

I am pretty sure that I won't like the back of this car, it looks hideous.

--

I'm pretty sure it won't be on top of list of cars I buy because of the looks. Don't get me wrong, I may end up buying one of these in the next few years as my needs for 7 seats grow (parents, kids friends etc). But it is only because it's the best of the 6-7 seaters out within a reasonably price range. 

WAY:

I'm pretty sure it won't be on top of list of cars I buy because of the looks. Don't get me wrong, I may end up buying one of these in the next few years as my needs for 7 seats grow (parents, kids friends etc). But it is only because it's the best of the 6-7 seaters out within a reasonably price range. 

The Tesla X would be interesting for me if:

1. Range would exceed 400 km (250 mls) under all driving conditions (cold, warm, fast, slow, etc.)

2. Charging (100%) would last five, maybe ten minutes or less

3. Price tag would be under 100k EUR (with the same performance as the Signature model though)

I'm afraid that with my driving style (full throttle whenever possible and legal), the Tesla X range would be under 100 mls. Smiley Also, I cannot wait half an hour to charge this thing to 80% only, this is just plain stupid. Just imagine you're on a trip with kids...

--

These cars are not for long trips with the current technology. Period. The ones who have tried said never again.

Musk has implied that range could be up by as much as 50% in the next couple of years. Personally to consider an EV it would need 320 miles (500km) of real range so I can comfortably do two round trips to a particular location.

Charging time is still too long. 40 minutes for 80% is not good enough. 15 minutes would work however.

Model X will start at $80k after the founder and signature series are out.

The 2nd row seats need to fold or be removable. That is the biggest disappointment so far.

Bottom line: the X is almost there and could be there in about two years.

How long does it take to charge a mobile phone?

Can't see <15 minute full charge time for EV in the short term....

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Porsche already announced 20 mins for 80% in the E... The technology is moving really fast...

...which is not a product

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

SciFrog:

Porsche already announced 20 mins for 80% in the E... The technology is moving really fast...

They can announce what they want with a car which doesn't exist yet. Smiley

--

You think their prototype is not capable of that? That would be unPorsche like to announce something like that for 2017 if it wasn't possible.

SciFrog:

You think their prototype is not capable of that? That would be unPorsche like to announce something like that for 2017 if it wasn't possible.

I doubt that the show-car is even a prototype.  I suspect that that announcement was based on lab tests, not on-the-road experience.

--

fritz

I read somewhere that the issue with Mission E is that it uses 800w instead of the ubiquitous 400w and the infrastructure for that isn't available yet. I don't really understand what that all means though. 

I just watched the launch night video of the Model X. Have to admit I like many things about the car very much. Even the tow hitch bike rack is perfect for me. As someone who lives in the city centre, electric cars are perfect. The speed limits here also mean that range will never be a huge issue. If only this car isn't so ugly...

WAY:

I read somewhere that the issue with Mission E is that it uses 800w instead of the ubiquitous 400w and the infrastructure for that isn't available yet. I don't really understand what that all means though. 

Make that 800 Volts, not Watts. That is the voltage required to achieve the fast-charging cycle which is predicted to be made available for specially-equipped charging stations, as opposed to the 400 Volt systems more conventionally used and more widely in available.  

--

fritz

RC:
    SciFrog:

They can announce what they want with a car which doesn't exist yet. Smiley

When is the last time Porsche announced something that they didn't match or beat? Unlike a certain English firm.............

--

They have everything on their hands to make a good looking car, with a recognizable and generally accepted frontal. Instead of it they redesign Bryan Cranston's car in Breaking Bad, one of the ugliest cars after Fiat Multipla.

Putting this failure on a side, the car is awesome and perfect for city live and short trips where leg room or distance range isn't that important.

Tesla new liquid cooled superchargers are outputing 200kw already.

alexalex88:

They have everything on their hands to make a good looking car, with a recognizable and generally accepted frontal. Instead of it they redesign Bryan Cranston's car in Breaking Bad, one of the ugliest cars after Fiat Multipla.

Putting this failure on a side, the car is awesome and perfect for city live and short trips where leg room or distance range isn't that important.

Lol the Pontiac Aztec was the worst looking car ever lol

By level of technology, the Tesla Model X isn't even a small, incremental increase over the Model S.  However, many in the Tesla fan base will state that lack of technological advancement is by design, since the Model S is allegedly upgradable as new technology emerges; the only upgrades made by Tesla to the Model S, once again, are incremental with little made to increase range and decrease charging times.  

Aesthetically, the Model X is a disaster, and I do realize that this statement is a personal opinion, but the design is heavy-handed and bloated.  Most SUV and minivan designs are a bit challenged when it comes to elegant proportions; however, the Model S' design grammar, while aping the language of the Model X, lacks even cohesiveness and balance.  It's almost as if Musk and his group have a vision of the future that will rapidly age and look even more comical  with each passing year.  Is there really a need for the falcon doors?  Those doors are nothing but the typical Musk marketing hype, with added weight and complexity.  Additionally, that panoramic windscreen too adds weight and solar loading to an already stressed power supply system.   This vehicle is too cartoonish to really consider seriously, but the Musk fanbase will buy every unit produced with impunity. 

Finally, I noted with interest that someone above mentioned that Teslas are not long distance touring vehicles, but instead high status city cars.  That, in part, probably explains why a Supercharger looked near my weekend home is often empty of cars.  It was much busier when it opened as it is near a major Interstate.

This black model X looks good to me!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/2016_tesla_model_x_15_things_you_need_to_know_about_the_ev_crossover/viewall.html

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

I don't get all the criticism concerning the styling of the Model X. The only 2 issues I see are:

1. The location of the B pillar: it seems too far forward, resulting in odd proportions between the relatively smaller front side window and the much larger rear one; unavoidable due to packaging and door design
    2. The gullwing doors: perhaps a good idea on a low slung sports car, but in the case of this high riding SUV, how does one judge whether there is enough clearance (especially in underground parking garages) before opening the doors? And how do you sneak out of a partially open one?

The price is a different matter...

The doors have sensors and a extra hinge on top, they sense the surrounding when being opened and can open in the tightest spots if needed.

fritz:
    SciFrog:

I doubt that the show-car is even a prototype.  I suspect that that announcement was based on lab tests, not on-the-road experience.

Smiley Smiley

--

EnglishManInNY:

This black model X looks good to me!

http://www.motortrend.com/features/mt_hot_list/2016_tesla_model_x_15_things_you_need_to_know_about_the_ev_crossover/viewall.html

It looks better but not good (the back). The completely white seats look weird, some black seats with white applications/stitching would look better.

--

Actually the Tesla design was never that good. The Roadster, the S, the X... all lack a fascinating Design.

Out of the history we know that Fisker only gave them a second class design to keep the stunner concept for himself. It is weird that they still stick with the simple plastic design on their cars - so much more would be possible. A mix of Fisker design and Tesla drive train could have been even more successful. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689891 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409410 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235060 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65577 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858159 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM