Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

Prototypes are supposed to come out the line in March...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/06/battery-tech-suitable-for-future-iphone-promises-3x-the-power-density-full-charge-in-m...

Read the above for the EV naysayers. As said many times before, we are only a couple of breakthroughs away from making combustion engines obsolete in a field where billions of R&D is now spent.

SciFrog:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/03/06/battery-tech-suitable-for-future-iphone-promises-3x-the-power-density-full-charge-in-m...

Read the above for the EV naysayers. As said many times before, we are only a couple of breakthroughs away from making combustion engines obsolete in a field where billions of R&D is now spent.

Fascinating!

--

Mike

918 Spyder + 991 GT3 RS +Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Big changes coming our ways.. very exciting kiss

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

SciFrog:

You know how many of similar announcements I read over the past couple of years? At least a dozen. Smiley

The fact that John Goodenough is part of the team could mean that this is different now but we still don't know because there are no prototypes yet and they just have registered a patent. 

It could take years, even if this tech is real. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

True. But at some point, someone will have a breakthrough...

SciFrog:

True. But at some point, someone will have a breakthrough...

Of course. I rather think that it is going to be one of the major players on the battery market, development costs tons of money because a lot of testing is required but you never know.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Model X lap of goodwood - he seemed to like it

https://youtu.be/Rg4yD2SMpco

--

Tesla Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab & 2014 BMW X5 & 2014 BMW i3 2017 - Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/model-x/

Elon Musk's analysis is certainly right but the main problem of the Tesla X is, in my opinion, the design.

The Tesla X looks like a Minivan, not like a SUV. For this particular reason alone, I wouldn't get one.

--

RC:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/model-x/

Elon Musk's analysis is certainly right but the main problem of the Tesla X is, in my opinion, the design.

The Tesla X looks like a Minivan, not like a SUV. For this particular reason alone, I wouldn't get one.

I'm fine with the design. I like it. Yes - doesnt looke like a SUV, but not like a Mini Van either. The car is practical but not sexy - thats ok. It is a Urban-Family-Transporter, look is not so important. I would even say, its understatement is a pro!

This thing costs over 150k EUR...so I guess it shouldn't look ugly. yes angry

--

Tesla, IMO, messed up by starting with a sedan. SUVs and trucks are where all the profit is and they are they things that benefit most from an EV powertrain since they weigh far more than cars and are much less efficient.

Never understood why he started with a sedan.

Only two rows and no AWD to deal with... Sedan made sense. The X was too complicated and although unique the facts that the seats don't fold flat and that the middle seat doesn't lean forward enough was a miss. Design wise the X is not bad and very recognizable, but it could be better...

No worries though, the model Y is supposed to be right behind.

Yes, the Tesla Y looks more promising...

--

Model 3 interior shots floating around and it still looks crappy.

noone1:

Model 3 interior shots floating around and it still looks crappy.

How do you want to keep the price down? Smiley

--

And how do you want keeping on selling S models?

He started with the roadster. Model s and then x.  He admits he screwed up with the x. Got to give Elon a lot of credit.  

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

So he's 1 for 3. Seen better. I predict Model 3 sales tank after 1 year when he realizes all the demand was just in pre-orders and there is none left by the time the competition rolls in and eats their profits in the premium segment.

What competition? When?

I think noone1 was trying to be constructive like only he can be....

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

SciFrog:

What competition? When?

There are going to be tons of good range, luxury SUVs and sedans in the next few years. Hell, 300 mile range Audi e-tron and Jag iPace SUVs will be in 2018. 

Contrary to what Tesla fans think, Tesla isn't years ahead of the competition. Not having a product out does not mean the product doesn't exist. For most of the major manufacturers, the only thing holding back EVs is a roadmap that was decided before EVs were factored in. So what they've done is followed the product release plan while perfecting the EVs until the business plan accommodates them.

noone1:
    SciFrog:

What competition? When?

There are going to be tons of good range, luxury SUVs and sedans in the next few years. Hell, 300 mile range Audi e-tron and Jag iPace SUVs will be in 2018. 

Contrary to what Tesla fans think, Tesla isn't years ahead of the competition. Not having a product out does not mean the product doesn't exist. For most of the major manufacturers, the only thing holding back EVs is a roadmap that was decided before EVs were factored in. So what they've done is followed the product release plan while perfecting the EVs until the business plan accommodates them.

I'm afraid this is very true... 

I bet that at some point, the major car manufacturers will come up with something spectacular...when they consider the time to be ripe for it. 

I still hope that Elon Musk is holding back and that he has some aces up his sleeves but looking at his history of how he became the successful man he is, I have to say that luck is on his side... Smiley

--

Competition is good. Hence why Elon opened up all the patents tesla has. Tesla needs to innovate but they will stay competitive by giving away free charging, cheaper batteries with the Giga factory and probably being the fastest cars out there. They could do so much more to keep ahead. Hell he could even give away free rides to mars indecision

--

Not sure why it's always black and white as soon as Tesla is discussed? Why do anyone wish them bad luck and hope that they will be out of business? Don't forget that they have put a lot of stress on the old hat manufacturers with aging business models and a lot of legacy and investments in products that in due course will only be part of history.

Tesla will progress very good and they will for sure be a player in the market along with the other manufacturers when they have catched up in a couple of years. Great for us customers just like today. Many great choices and each and everyone can for sure find a product to like either if it's from Tesla or from any other brand.

But right now Tesla is way ahead of the game speaking of BEV. The charging infrastructure is really an asset that the other manufacturers will struggle with initially. Teslas Superchargers are just so convenient and I bet that that will not be the case when Audi roll out their cars in 2019/2020 and the Jaguars i-Pace hit the market in very low volumes end of next year. I also find it quite interesting that spec wise there are nothing that the traditional car manufacturers announce for 2020 that Tesla doesn't already offer today when it comes to drivetrain, batteries, range and charging. In my book that is pretty weak and just show clearly that Tesla already today got something that the others can't beat in 3 years.

Also the business model with Tesla selling directly to consumers, simplified production line, know-how and inhouse production of batteries, EV drivetrain knowledge and the software aproach with OTA updates is something that the traditional manufacturers will have a lot of time to play catch up. The legacy will be an issue for them and like for all big companies a real hazzle to overcome if not played out right.

Interesting btw that the new Panamera 4 E-hybrid is world wide delayed by at least 2 months due to issues with the EV-drivetrain and software....

Similar stories for EV/Tesla can much likely be seen on youtube in 5-10 years smiley

Classic when Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone and bashing it for not having a physical keyboard....

And then 7 years later....

lukestern:

Similar stories for EV/Tesla can much likely be seen on youtube in 5-10 years smiley

Classic when Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone and bashing it for not having a physical keyboard....

And then 7 years later....

I was never wrong about tech...and I never agreed with Ballmer. Smiley

I predicted the downfall of Blackberry and Nokia from day one, especially after MS got involved (Nokia).

Also predicting the downfall of HTC and LG at some point, they cannot compete with Samsung and the Chinese competition.

Tesla? I may have been wrong about the stock value but not about the company itself. In the end, Tesla sells cars and there are companies which do that much better and efficient than Tesla. It is just a matter of time.

Fastest cars? Are you kidding me? If Porsche, Ferrari and Co. would be serious about fast ELVs, they would destroy Tesla. The time hasn't come yet but it will.

--

Apparently they have now can fold the rear-seats. BUT - again they messed it up. The second row you only can foldable with a 5-seater option. If you have the 6 or 7 seater configuration, you can't fold the second row but the third. What a joke - why is that not possible to have 2nd and 3rd row foldable? 

lukestern:

Not sure why it's always black and white as soon as Tesla is discussed? Why do anyone wish them bad luck and hope that they will be out of business?

Maybe because no one really has? Everytime someone criticises Tesla or is not on board on the hype train they are branded as a hater by Tesla "fans" yes  

personallyI think that the only reason Tesla is selling is because they were the ones to first give a try at the EV market, it's not a great product at all, it's just that it's the only one, I but as a "car" they have much to be desired, their only selling point is that they are EV, not because of their quality, engineering or how they drive, if Teslas were gasoline powered they would of gone bankrupt in the first year. When big manufacturers with much more know how and resources consider that the market is ready for true level of sales and penetration (EV is not there yet at all), ie mainstream, then they will go in it and it's game over for Tesla. Same story happened in many other products.

I wouldnt buy a Tesla but doesn't mean I hate them and wish them bad luck, I'm only being realistic, and competition is good, just like I'm not a fan of McLaren but it's great that they are there, make Ferraris, Lambos and Porsche better. 991 GT2RS buyers have a lot to thank McLaren, their 720s is forcing Porsche to give them more for their money. It's all good for everybody.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:

Tesla? I may have been wrong about the stock value but not about the company itself. In the end, Tesla sells cars and there are companies which do that much better and efficient than Tesla. It is just a matter of time.

Fastest cars? Are you kidding me? If Porsche, Ferrari and Co. would be serious about fast ELVs, they would destroy Tesla. The time hasn't come yet but it will.

Just curious, why do you say that there are companies that sell cars better than Tesla? In what way? In my book they got a very smart, modern and cost efficient business model and the Fremont factory is very efficient. Yes, it's still a small company in the big scheme of things, but it can't be denied that they're making some impressive progress.

Why do you think Porsche, Ferrari etc will "destroy" Tesla for BEV? At least I haven't seen any such indications seeing the specs of the concept cars that are supposed to enter production in small volumes by the end of the decade.

Carlos from Spain:

personallyI think that the only reason Tesla is selling is because they were the ones to first give a try at the EV market, it's not a great product at all, it's just that it's the only one, I but as a "car" they have much to be desired, their only selling point is that they are EV, not because of their quality, engineering or how they drive, if Teslas were gasoline powered they would of gone bankrupt in the first year. When big manufacturers with much more know how and resources consider that the market is ready for true level of sales and penetration (EV is not there yet at all), ie mainstream, then they will go in it and it's game over for Tesla. Same story happened in many other products.

Thing is that (if using your definition) the only selling point is a very very strong one. And I tend to disagree that it is the only selling point. There are many more, but let's leave that out for now.

Not sure why you think it will be game over for Tesla? Do you see any such indications? I mean they've hired a lot of people from other car manufacturers and we will probably see a lot of improvements coming years. It's not that Tesla will stand still now the coming five years and offer the same product in 2022. They will for sure improve on many things and compete up there.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781484 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263423 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261790 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5959 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881546 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819313 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM