Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Walker's daughter sues Porsche over the CGT crash

I suppose it was to be expected. Smiley

"The bottom line is that the Porsche Carrera GT is a dangerous car,” Meadow’s lawyer, Jeff Milam, told TMZ. “It doesn't belong on the street. And we shouldn't be without Paul Walker or his friend, Roger Rodas."

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/paul-walkers-daughter-meadow-sues-porsche-over-actors-wrongful-death-2015289#ixzz3n5RBG7On 

Re: Walker's daughter sues Porsche over the CGT crash

If you sell fast expensive cars rich and important people will be hurt - they have lawyers and huge losses of income.  To be expected. 

All cars are dangerous. Hell do you know how amazing it is that hundreds of people can move down the same stretch of road, at the same time, in a metal box that weights thousands of pounds, and controlling it's speed with your feet...And not have every day end in an apocalyptic fiery mess. Some cars are designed to be enjoyed above the parameters of what most drivers would consider prudent,  but if you choose to be one of those drivers, and drive one of those cars then you accept the risk and consequences it entails. 

This is like suing Tiffany's if someone is stabbed to death with one of their silver forks, and saying silverware doesn't belong in peoples dining tables. 

If I were Porsche I would counter sue to 10x the amount claiming brand slandering and stupidity. 

"The bottom line is that the people who don't maintain their car make it a deadly car,”Darwin 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

If I were Porsche I would counter sue to 10x the amount claiming brand slandering and stupidity. 

"The bottom line is that the people who don't maintain their car make it a deadly car,”Darwin 

Well said! At the end it is all about money! Smiley

JoeRockhead:

"The bottom line is that the Porsche Carrera GT is a dangerous car,” Meadow’s lawyer, Jeff Milam, told TMZ. “It doesn't belong on the street. And we shouldn't be without Paul Walker or his friend, Roger Rodas."

"The lawsuit also claims that Rodas, who was also killed, was driving between 63 and 71 MPH, not 80 to 93 MPH like the police report noted, when it careened out of control, and that Porsche was aware that the Carrera GTs had a “history of instability and control issues. “The suit argues that Porsche could have prevented the defect had the car been fitted with a Porsche Stability Management System (PSM), which prevents swerving and is standard in many other models."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT7Qsg2tLDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL6Xoc-nZtY

Next thing we know, Porsche set the CGT on auto pilot to crash and kill Smiley

This reminds me a lot of the aftermath of Ben's crash. I don't know what the final outcome on that was, but if I recall correctly, they literally used the same allegation.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

JoeRockhead:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/paul-walkers-daughter-meadow-sues-porsche-over-actors-wrongful-death-2015289#ixzz3n5RBG7On 

Every car is dangerous if the driver lacks skills. The Carrera GT is not a dangerous car, it is just a car which needs an experienced driver at the wheel and one which isn't driven by emotions but his brain. Roger Rodas was way too fast (I think the police had already established this) and apparently he lost control of the car. According to my information, the car was technically in a good shape. I do not know why Rodas was that fast but as a professional driver, he should have known better.

I guess the lawyer tries to use the fact that the Carrera GT has no ESP system to get money from Porsche. No ESP can replace a brain. Smiley He may also present other accidents with the Carrera GT as proof and very likely even comments made on the internet in car forums and of course what Carrera GT customers may say about this car. In the end, the Carrera GT will still remain a very nice sports car for experienced drivers but of course there will be some idiots who will claim that they sold the Carrera GT because they couldn't handle it. Smiley

I love cars. When I was young, I was doing many stupid things in cars, up to a level, where people would think I am insane. I was lucky that I survived this period of time. At age 30 and older, I started to be more focused on my driving per se and not my driving skills. I also tried to be more focused on traffic and the car itself, rather than just relying on myself and my driving skills. Drivers evolve over time and yes, at a certain age (I am 50 right now), fear adds to the mix, it is a natural process which evolves out of experience.

That said, I have a lot of respect towards the Carrera GT but I would always enjoy driving one or even owning one. It is a fantastic car and fun to drive. Dangerous? A gun can be fun on the shooting range but in the hands of a killer, it can kill people and destroy things. Same goes to the Carrera GT or in fact any car out there.

Remember Ben and his deadly accident? We all know what stupid things he did with that car but nobody wanted to say anything out of respect to his family and his memory. I will never forget the video he once posted, showing him drifting one handed(!) through a curve in an urban area and talking on the phone on the other hand. He already had a small kid at that time, why would people do that? Smiley

The lawyer is just trying to do his job, I get it and I feel sorry for Meadow Walker because I know how important I am as a father to my daughter and how horrible it must be to loose a parent. However, the only one to be blamed here is Roger Rodas, the driver of the car. He did act irresponsible because you do not drive that way he did with a friend (or any other person) in a car.

I get it, the Walker family doesn't seem to want to go after Rodas' estate, there are his kids involved but going after Porsche, just because it is a company and wouldn't "hurt" anyone getting some money from them, is ridiculous. I do not see even the slightest blame with Porsche.

Unfortunately we have a saying in Germany: On trial and on the high seas, you're on your own and only god knows what happens. Smiley I feel sorry for Porsche because they do not deserve this. This is only about money.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Unfortunately we have a saying in Germany: On trial and on the high seas, you're on your own and only god knows what happens. Smiley I feel sorry for Porsche because they do not deserve this. This is only about money.

Aren't Porsche insured against these liability risks, provided that blame is found? I presume they are. So in the end insurance will pay.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    RC:

Aren't Porsche insured against these liability risks, provided that blame is found? I presume they are. So in the end insurance will pay.

I wouldn't be too sure about it in this particular case. The insurance could argue that the car is in perfect technical condition and that they are not responsible (as per insurance coverage agreement with Porsche). Truth to be told, I have no clue.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

To any person with common sense the Walker lawsuit is a load of bullshit and an effort to get lots of money out of someone else on a pretext.

With this logic anyone could claim that any vehicle was to blame for a loss for a variety of imaginary reasons. More so if the vehicle in question was a motorcycle on which it is easier to lose control and get injured/killed than in a fast car.

The United States of America the land of Apple Pie, Baseball..........and (costly and excessive) Litigation smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

To any person with common sense the Walker lawsuit is a load of bullshit and an effort to get lots of money out of someone else.

Agreed, but history has shown that this scam can work.  

--

fritz

only in America

The lawyer may think he has a case but I wouldn't be so sure. Also, maybe he is thinking that with he current anti-VW atmosphere in the US and the fact that Porsche is a member of the VW Group family, he can win this.

In my opinion, he has no case. Zilch. Nada. The Carrera GT is a perfectly good car, there is no design flaw. I wish I had one. CR has a Carrera GT and he never crashed it. He has skills but I doubt he has the skills of a professional race car driver like Rodas. There are many Carrera GT owners who love their cars and who never had a crash. They know their limit, they know the car, they know how to drive responsible.

Sorry but if I were Porsche, I would fight this as much as possible. I feel sorry for Meadow Walker, I said it before but you just cannot sue a company because it has money and it wouldn't hurt them to pay (this is the mentality behind it). Paul Walker left behind enough money, so making this about money is sad and actually hurts his memory. Porsche has nothing to do with this accident.

It is also my understanding that Rodas had modified the Carrera GT (aftermarket exhaust), the car wasn't properly maintained at a specialized facility and had 9 year old tires (which certainly played a role in the accident).

--

Its was just another case of  %%%%  happens...

And it surely wasn't Porsche's fault

I bet neither Paul nor Roger would sue if they survived

People as ususal will do anything for money

RC:

The lawyer may think he has a case but I wouldn't be so sure. Also, maybe he is thinking that with he current anti-VW atmosphere in the US and the fact that Porsche is a member of the VW Group family, he can win this.

In my opinion, he has no case. Zilch. Nada. The Carrera GT is a perfectly good car, there is no design flaw. I wish I had one. CR has a Carrera GT and he never crashed it. He has skills but I doubt he has the skills of a professional race car driver like Rodas. There are many Carrera GT owners who love their cars and who never had a crash. They know their limit, they know the car, they know how to drive responsible.

Sorry but if I were Porsche, I would fight this as much as possible. I feel sorry for Meadow Walker, I said it before but you just cannot sue a company because it has money and it wouldn't hurt them to pay (this is the mentality behind it). Paul Walker left behind enough money, so making this about money is sad and actually hurts his memory. Porsche has nothing to do with this accident.

It is also my understanding that Rodas had modified the Carrera GT (aftermarket exhaust), the car wasn't properly maintained at a specialized facility and had 9 year old tires (which certainly played a role in the accident).

The girl is 16 years old. I can hardly imagine it is her idea to sue Porsche. At least I know that the last thing I was considering when I was 16, was to sue anyone. Perhaps because I did not grow up in the US.

I do not blame Meadow Walker, god forbid. She is a kid who lost her beloved father. This is the work of lawyers who probably think they have a case now and they can win this.

I also do not believe in co-incidences, I think that suing now has something to do with the VW scandal. It is a favorable moment to "attack" Porsche, which is part of the VW Group.

--

tso:
    RC:

The girl is 16 years old. I can hardly imagine it is her idea to sue Porsche. At least I know that the last thing I was considering when I was 16, was to sue anyone. Perhaps because I did not grow up in the US.

She will have been put up to this by some ambulance-chasing no-win, no-fee lawyer rubbing his hands at the prospect of a good out-of-court settlement from a victim with deep pockets who, in spite of not having been involved in the crash, might not have the stomach for bad publicity.  

--

fritz

RC, sorry if it looked as if I blamed you for "her" actions, that was far from the intention. I was merely after the conclusion you draw yourself, that this has to be actioned by someone else - likely a lawyer or someone pushing her. I feel sorry for her and would imagine that she has already gone through enough pain loosing her dad.

Better call Saul!!

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

tso:

RC, sorry if it looked as if I blamed you for "her" actions, that was far from the intention. I was merely after the conclusion you draw yourself, that this has to be actioned by someone else - likely a lawyer or someone pushing her. I feel sorry for her and would imagine that she has already gone through enough pain loosing her dad.

Don't worry, I did not misunderstand you. Smiley Smiley

--

fritz:
    tso:
    RC:

She will have been put up to this by some ambulance-chasing no-win, no-fee lawyer rubbing his hands at the prospect of a good out-of-court settlement from a victim with deep pockets who, in spite of not having been involved in the crash, might not have the stomach for bad publicity.  

x100

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Generally, large car manufacturers are self insured though they usually have excess coverage with a private carrier.

More than likely the driver's insurance company has already paid its limits to the Walker estate.

There is a different twist to this litigation. They are claiming defective seat belt design. Also, in today's climate most people are aware that stability systems are available and have been for years especially for high performance cars. That said, I believe this claim would be defensible.

Finally there is what is known in the litigation field "nuisance value". Start suit, put several Porsche executives through depositions, hint at the falsifying of parent company VW emission test and let the jury decide. Porsche more than likely would want to settle for a substantially reduced amount and not face that.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

There is a saying: "The way to get the best out of a deal is by compromise"

This might be OK in one-off situations. But in the case of a car manufacturer a compromise might create a serious precedent, even if not from the legal point of view (depending on the wording of the settllement) but still in real life people would sue on every opportunity expecting similar outcome.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Generally, large car manufacturers are self insured though they usually have excess coverage with a private carrier.

More than likely the driver's insurance company has already paid its limits to the Walker estate.

There is a different twist to this litigation. They are claiming defective seat belt design. Also, in today's climate most people are aware that stability systems are available and have been for years especially for high performance cars. That said, I believe this claim would be defensible.

Finally there is what is known in the litigation field "nuisance value". Start suit, put several Porsche executives through depositions, hint at the falsifying of parent company VW emission test and let the jury decide. Porsche more than likely would want to settle for a substantially reduced amount and not face that.

Good to know, thanks Nick. Smiley

A jury could always mean trouble but maybe Porsche should beat the lawyers with their own weapons, by calling in Carrera GT owners and actually proving to the jury that the car is safe (in the right hands with the right brains).

Defective seat belt design? Seriously? Have the seat belts failed in the accident?

Yes, I know the "industry standard" issues (ESP, many sports cars had it before the Carrera GT showed up). This is also the reason Porsche and other car companies do not facilitate the launch control start process.

--

nberry:

Exactly what I thought. Smiley

The car,including its seat belts, will have been subjected to  -  and fulfilled  -  the crash tests required in the markets where it was sold. 

Again, exactly what I thought.

--

fritz

A comparable (to the Carrera GT) supercar that was sold in about the same years was the Ferrari Enzo. It did not have the  ESP either.  It was a feature rather than an omission. Furthermore the CGT had a manual gearbox ;  hopefully the lawyers will not attack Porsche for providing that one too.

m4ever:

A comparable (to the Carrera GT) supercar that was sold in about the same years was the Ferrari Enzo. It did not have the  ESP either.  It was a feature rather than an omission. Furthermore the CGT had a manual gearbox ;  hopefully the lawyers will not attack Porsche for providing that one too.

The CGT was developed at a time when early ESP systems were gradually being adopted in some cars, but it should not be forgotten that those early systems were not very sophisticated and came in for some criticism, and they were far from being ubiquitous.
    Nor should it be forgotten that cars fitted with ESP systems still crash when drivers overdo things. 

--

fritz

I think that's probably the key point in the case. The plaintiff's lawyers will be trying to have the jury view this in terms of current day technology, rather than the standard of technology at the time the cars were built.

I also don't think it's coincidental, at least not entirely, that this suit is being filed right now when VW has become the Great Satan in US media.

fritz:
    nberry:

Exactly what I thought. Smiley

The car,including its seat belts, will have been subjected to  -  and fulfilled  -  the crash tests required in the markets where it was sold. 

Again, exactly what I thought.

Fritz, this is a day to remember. You agree with me without reservation. I must be slipping.Smiley

BTW, it is rumored that Porsche did pay something (very small amount compared to the total settlement) in Ben's case even though Porsche has a reputation as being very hardnose when it comes to litigation.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM