Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Walker's daughter sues Porsche over the CGT crash

I surely hope PAG wins and hope the judge dismisses the case outright.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

PAG won't lose this one. If they do, than I hope that they pull out all future super cars in NA.. and make a public fuzz about it. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Let see it like that... this are just peanuts in a lawcase compared to what VWAG is facing right now  angry

Those lawyers are c*cksuckers... sorry to say. They find always a reason for personal profit. They should be sentenced and not anyone else. mail

BTW... Porsche response seems fatal enough... 9 year old tyres Smiley ... this is what I call suizide!

Porsche responded to the lawsuit by stating that the company’s engineers had conducted a thorough investigation after the crash and found out that the vehicle had been altered from its original design state and had not been maintained properly.

The company also stated that the 2005 Porsche Carrera GT had nine-year-old tyres, while the police investigation concluded that Roger Rodas was driving approximately at 150 kmph in a 72kmph area

I hope Porsche win and make a counter claim against the deceased actor's estate for attempted defamation.

There should be a law whereby if someone makes unfounded  or frivolous claims for damages this person should be heavily penalized. Because if a lawsuit starts against someone or against a company the moral damage is already done. Often what counts is the initial impact. Very few will follow the lawsuit until the end to find out the final outcome.

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Those lawyers are c*cksuckers... sorry to say. They find always a reason for personal profit. They should be sentenced and not anyone else. mail

I get your outrage but these lawyers are just doing their jobs based on the current legislation in the US. They are trying to do their best work and to feed their family, also maybe to buy a Porsche or Ferrari here and there but I think this is human. I really don't think you should blame the lawyers here, they are just doing their job. You should blame the system which allows lawyers to act like they do.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

I get your outrage but these lawyers are just doing their jobs based on the current legislation in the US. They are trying to do their best work and to feed their family, also maybe to buy a Porsche or Ferrari here and there but I think this is human. I really don't think you should blame the lawyers here, they are just doing their job. You should blame the system which allows lawyers to act like they do.

Here's what could happen, if the legal system wasn't corrupt in the first place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TlAXXDYK4k

RC:
    Lars997:

Disagree RC! In any job you should have some ethics. Suing just out of purpose of receiving high penalty payments and lawyer charges is the wrong reason. Yes - they want to feed their family, but other family loose their food because of that. The problem I have with those Lawyers is, that the business model is not to help others finding justice, the business model is to make the most money with the least work on the edge of legality and even if it is without any ethical value. And yes - if the system allows this, it is insane too. That's way all nations make fun about the US law, especiall when you hear about high payments because that poor dog was killed in that Microwave and so on. 

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

Disagree RC! In any job you should have some ethics. Suing just out of purpose of receiving high penalty payments and lawyer charges is the wrong reason. Yes - they want to feed their family, but other family loose their food because of that. The problem I have with those Lawyers is, that the business model is not to help others finding justice, the business model is to make the most money with the least work on the edge of legality and even if it is without any ethical value. And yes - if the system allows this, it is insane too. That's way all nations make fun about the US law, especiall when you hear about high payments because that poor dog was killed in that Microwave and so on. 

Smiley

--

fritz

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

Hold on! The US legal system has been on the forefront of many safety advances involving consumer products. But for the litigation, auto manufacturers and other product manufacturers would not concern themselves with user safety. Citizens outside the US benefit from our tort system. Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Lars997:

... And yes - if the system allows this, it is insane too. That's way all nations make fun about the US law, especiall when you hear about high payments because that poor dog was killed in that Microwave and so on. 

This dog?

http://www.out-law.com/page-3396

apias:
    Lars997:

... And yes - if the system allows this, it is insane too. That's way all nations make fun about the US law, especiall when you hear about high payments because that poor dog was killed in that Microwave and so on. 

This dog?

http://www.out-law.com/page-3396

This is what I am talking about. Too many urban legends about the US legal system in Europe, same as the urban legends (or exaggerated real laws) about kids and guns or laws about certain sexual practices. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

... or laws about certain sexual practices. Smiley

http://observationdeck.kinja.com/the-complete-list-of-weird-sex-laws-in-the-u-s-a-1485048155

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/advice/a5030/weird-american-sex-laws/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/smartertravel/10-strangest-sex-laws-in_b_5079145.html

http://www.babble.com/mom/20-seriously-strange-us-sex-laws/

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/fun23.htm

I could continue, the list of such websites is endless.

Europeans seem to be obsessed with sex in the USA, so many magazines and news publications publish this stuff over and over again, just to prove how "primitive" Americans are. The fun part is: Americans don't seem to have a clue about this, they think Europeans appreciate them. angry It is kind of sad what is going on nowadays in Europe, where the US is portrayed as the big bad evil and Russia and China as friends. 

When there is a shooting in the US or a war incident like the collateral damage in Kundus/Afghanistan, the press over here in Europe has a feast. Smiley

--

Quote:
    "Europeans seem to be obsessed with sex in the USA, so many magazines and news publications publish this stuff over and over again, just to prove how "primitive" Americans are."

Why Europeans? The dot-com websites you link to above appear to be USA-based?  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

Quote:
    "Europeans seem to be obsessed with sex in the USA, so many magazines and news publications publish this stuff over and over again, just to prove how "primitive" Americans are."

Why Europeans? The dot-com websites you link to above appear to be USA-based?  Smiley

I chose the English ones...there are as many as you want in German...or other languages. Smiley

Btw: Most of these "laws" are either taken out of context or plain lies/exaggerations. If it is on the internet, it has to be true, right? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:

... I could continue, the list of such websites is endless.

Europeans seem to be obsessed with sex in the USA, so many magazines and news publications publish this stuff over and over again, just to prove how "primitive" Americans are. The fun part is: Americans don't seem to have a clue about this, they think Europeans appreciate them. angry ...

It was certainly enlightening to discover that Texas is more "prosthesis" friendly than Arizona. But, no, not all of them may actually be laws, since many of these sites are probably just copying from each other or older articles in the same vein, and it's unlikely anyone is actually doing any research to confirm that they are or ever were as reported.

But, the way laws are made in the US does lend itself to some unusual or downright weird local and state laws. So some of them may be, and these have probably been on the books for decades or even longer, and most of them are likely never enforced nor would be, at least any time recently, and would be found to be unconstitutional if they were attempted to be enforced.

However, we do remain primitive in many ways.

We have many sorts of primitivism in Germany as well but we usually call it tradition. 

Funny story: Just yesterday, a friend of ours was talking about the church in the US and how extremely connected (in a weird way...) many Americans are to Jesus, god and the church. Then we asked him if he wants to go watch a movie with us but he told us that he has to go to the church to prepare a special mess with the priest for next week. angel

We didn't even know this guy goes to church, let alone that he would help out at the church.  

I'm an atheist, actually I believe in something but I wouldn't call it god, rather a greater good or something but I respect religious people as long as they do not force me to share their views and beliefs. However, the way people over here are connected to the catholic church sometimes reminds me of a sect. Btw: My son almost failed class because he had bad marks in...religion. No wonder kids hate religion if they force them to learn from books and even grade them for that.

So yes, every country has some weirdness in their culture but I always travel to the US and have never seen anything disrespectful towards Germans (well, other than the "Kraut" stuff in war movies ). I have however seem many many disrespectful comments and articles about the US and Americans in German media, including prime time media. This stuff usually refers to education, knowledge, religion and...of course...gun laws.

Speaking of education: Whenever I'm in the US with my family, no matter where I go, people keep the door open for my wife and sometimes even for me. Ordinary people, sometimes even with tons of tattoos and a grim face, people you wouldn't want to meet in a dark corner at night. They keep the door open and say please and thanks. In Germany, good luck with that. Have you ever been at Disneyland Paris? There you can learn what survival means, just join a waiting line to an attraction. 

--

Americans on an individual basis are very nice and friendly, some of the nicest people you can meet actually.

However, Non-Americans are averse to the US foreign policy and they dislike the USA trying to have an influence on or even control what is going in the rest of the world on a very wide variety of issues, often with negative consequences to other countries ranging from unpleasant to unfair and often dire. The USA try to have a finger in everything and regulate the whole world as if everything on their works in absolute perfection.

IMO on this evaluation a vast majority of non-Americans around the world agree. It might not be fully justified but that is how it is.

And the fact that some people are sympathetic towards Russia or China  is not for Russia or China per se but as potential balancing factors against what is perceived as American arrogance and global domination tactics.

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

Hold on! The US legal system has been on the forefront of many safety advances involving consumer products. But for the litigation, auto manufacturers and other product manufacturers would not concern themselves with user safety. Citizens outside the US benefit from our tort system. Smiley

Hmm, I could name a few useless, pointless 'benefits'.

The stupid airbag stickers on the visors, the extra 'agree' screen on infotainment systems, the endless 'dings' 'chimes' overtime you start car car to remind the Americans to wear their seatbelt, etc.

Most of the people on Earth have common sense, they know about safety stuff and do it without the American style reminders, those stuff are developed FOR the American people, but we the rest of the world has to out up with them Smiley

--

Don't forget the warning on coffee cups that lets you know it's hot. Smiley

She got close to $3 million for dumping hot coffee into her lap. Smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

I already posted a link debunking this earlier, but, from the article you linked to [emphasis mine]:

.. The jury damages included $160,000 to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. The trial judge reduced the final verdict to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount before an appeal was decided. ...

BTW, in case you ever wondered why McDonald's coffee is so bad, the answer can be found in that same article:

... McDonald's required franchisees to hold coffee at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C). At 190 °F (88 °C), the coffee would cause a third-degree burn in two to seven seconds. ...

And, don't forget,

... Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for $20,000 to cover her actual and anticipated expenses. Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her daughter's loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000. Instead, the company offered only $800. ...

Even though,

... from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000. McDonald's quality control manager, Christopher Appleton ... conceded that McDonald's coffee would burn the mouth and throat if consumed when served. ...

This case is the poster boy for false and misleading assertions in support of so-called "tort reform".

Whoopsy:

... The stupid airbag stickers on the visors, ...

Ok, you may have a point there.

JoeRockhead:

Don't forget the warning on coffee cups that lets you know it's hot. Smiley

She got close to $3 million for dumping hot coffee into her lap. Smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

No, she didn't, at least not that much.  Smiley

--

reginos:

Americans on an individual basis are very nice and friendly, some of the nicest people you can meet actually.

However, Non-Americans are averse to the US foreign policy and they dislike the USA trying to have an influence on or even control what is going in the rest of the world on a very wide variety of issues, often with negative consequences to other countries ranging from unpleasant to unfair and often dire. The USA try to have a finger in everything and regulate the whole world as if everything on their works in absolute perfection.

IMO on this evaluation a vast majority of non-Americans around the world agree. It might not be fully justified but that is how it is.

And the fact that some people are sympathetic towards Russia or China  is not for Russia or China per se but as potential balancing factors against what is perceived as American arrogance and global domination tactics.

Maybe we should go back to topic but honestly, I do not think that Americans are arrogant or have any global domination tactics but they actually believe in democracy and freedom and they are trying to pursue this path no matter what, even using not so democratic methods, which in some regions may be a huge mistake and even worse, when it comes to friends and trust. Kind of a religion of freedom and democracy or as someone called it, a crusade for democracy, which may not be that wrong but probably not a good idea in countries where people first need to fight for their freedom themselves before they can accept it from others. Also, not a good idea to spy on friends, which you actually need along the way. Many Germans were deeply disappointed, maybe also because their own government never told them the truth (that the BND always worked hand in hand with US intelligence), something Merkel avoided because she didn't want to offend people. In the end, this was a bad decision because it caused a deep anti-US sentiment in the population. Her public outrage about the NSA listening in to her private phone conversations was also pretty dumb in my opinion because she didn't use her government phone and it was actually against regulations. I think she realized that later on but then, it was too late, her outrage was already public knowledge and people are still wondering why she didn't request an apology or more. The whole situation is tricky because the German government avoids telling its own people the truth and with the media coverage and public outrage, it is too late for that.

--

Since Liebeck, McDonald's has not reduced the service temperature of its coffee. McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F),[32] relying on more sternly worded warnings on cups made of rigid foam to avoid future liability, though it continues to face lawsuits over hot coffee.[32][33] The Specialty Coffee Association supports improved packaging methods rather than lowering the temperature at which coffee is served. The association has successfully aided the defense of subsequent coffee burn cases.[34] Similarly, as of 2004, Starbucks sells coffee at 175–185 °F (79–85 °C), and the executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America reported that the standard serving temperature is 160–185 °F (71–85 °C).

You shouldn't need to be told that coffee is hot. The suit was frivolous and the fact that McDonald's still serves coffee at the same temps is proof of that. I wonder how many people have sued for "pizza mouth". Smiley

Of course this is idiotic but hey, how many stupid people have you met in your life? Be honest! Sometimes it is unbelievable how stupid people behave and even people who have a degree or actually usually act intelligent. I guess some people have some sort of selective intelligence, where they act highly intelligent in certain intellectual situations but fail with the most simple tasks, up to a point where you doubt their sanity. I am married to such a person. angry

No, seriously: You should see my wife, she is amazing in her job and everything she is truly interested in (she learned to speak Spanish fluently in a year...in Germany) but when I try to teach her simple things, she fails. Up to a point where I really get upset and start yelling.

Some people just don't get it and need a proper warning or instruction, as ridiculous this may sound to us.

--

JoeRockhead:

Since Liebeck, McDonald's has not reduced the service temperature of its coffee. McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F),[32] relying on more sternly worded warnings on cups made of rigid foam to avoid future liability, though it continues to face lawsuits over hot coffee.[32][33] The Specialty Coffee Association supports improved packaging methods rather than lowering the temperature at which coffee is served. The association has successfully aided the defense of subsequent coffee burn cases.[34] Similarly, as of 2004, Starbucks sells coffee at 175–185 °F (79–85 °C), and the executive director of the Specialty Coffee Association of America reported that the standard serving temperature is 160–185 °F (71–85 °C).

You shouldn't need to be told that coffee is hot. The suit was frivolous and the fact that McDonald's still serves coffee at the same temps is proof of that. I wonder how many people have sued for "pizza mouth". Smiley

All it is proof of is that McDonald's has made a calculated business decision that they will make more money selling dangerously hot coffee and injuring some number of people a year than if they sell it at a safe, and more appropriate temperature. The only failure of the tort system here is that it is failing to dissuade them from knowingly causing injuries to people, because damage awards have not been high enough to exceed their calculated profits that result.

The SCAA are idiots. Coffee held for any length of time after brewing above 165°F suffers serious and rapid flavor degradation.

I'm sure they turn over their coffee quickly enough that the flavour doesn't degrade. You can order your coffee "extra hot" at Starbucks too, and not have to sign a waiver to get it that way. The majority of lawsuits are legitimate, but there are many more that aren't. 

RC:

Of course this is idiotic but hey, how many stupid people have you met in your life? Be honest! Sometimes it is unbelievable how stupid people behave and even people who have a degree or actually usually act intelligent. I guess some people have some sort of selective intelligence, where they act highly intelligent in certain intellectual situations but fail with the most simple tasks, up to a point where you doubt their sanity. I am married to such a person. angry

No, seriously: You should see my wife, she is amazing in her job and everything she is truly interested in (she learned to speak Spanish fluently in a year...in Germany) but when I try to teach her simple things, she fails. Up to a point where I really get upset and start yelling.

Some people just don't get it and need a proper warning or instruction, as ridiculous this may sound to us.

Accidents happen, but that doesn't mean that adults shouldn't take responsibility for their own actions. I know what you mean though. Smiley

JoeRockhead:

I'm sure they turn over their coffee quickly enough that the flavour doesn't degrade. ...

When was the last time you tried McDonald's coffee?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688849 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408839 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234840 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65434 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773600 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM