Crown

Forum - Thread

Michelin Tire Outage

Hi All,

I just learned that Michelin USA is out of their PS2 tires until maybe December! Since I can't wait until then, what is the next best tire? Pirelli P0 or Bridgestone (which?) or ??

P.S. I drive all year on summer tires. 

Best regards,

Gordie

Austin, TX

--

Best regards, Gordie Austin, TX ---------- Previous '04 986 550 SE, Present  '09 C2S Cab

Re: Michelin Tire Outage

Have you tried to source the PS2 tires from elsewhere? Tirerack for example?

THANKS for your prompt response! Tire Rack doesn't have them. Nobody in US has inventory of 295/30-19!

Michelin US says backordered until at least December!

--

Best regards, Gordie Austin, TX ---------- Previous '04 986 550 SE, Present  '09 C2S Cab

Did Tirerack make any recommendations?  They are really good at testing the tires and coming up with alternative choices, some that may be better than the current fitment.

grease:

THANKS for your prompt response! Tire Rack doesn't have them. Nobody in US has inventory of 295/30-19!

Michelin US says backordered until at least December!

Well, Pilot Super Sports are probably the better tire anyway, and that size is pretty common on M5s.

Tire rack recommended mounting a 305mm -19 PS2 instead of the 295 -19. I am concerned about wheel well clearance. The 305's were mounted on the wide rear fender "{wide body" style used on the turbo and 4S versions. I believe they were mounted on wider wheels also.

--

I agree with the recommendation for Michelin Pilot Super Sports - cheaper and better than PS2

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:

I agree with the recommendation for Michelin Pilot Super Sports - cheaper and better than PS2

Could not agree more on the Michelin PSS.  That tire is superior to the PS2.

CGX car nut:
    Grant:

Could not agree more on the Michelin PSS.  That tire is superior to the PS2.

+ 1 . I have the PSS and have never been happier with a tyre on my Carrera . Had the PS2 before and the Bridgestone .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery ...soon !

According to Tire Rack, Pilot Super Sports are also out of stock in the US, at least for the 295/30-19 tire size! Same supply problem!

--

Isn't there still a problem with an OPC warranty if non N-Rated PSS tyres are fitted??

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Try ordering from a Porsche dealer.  They can usually get N-spec tires when tire stores can't get them.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Or a BMW store if you don't care about the N-spec rating. 

John H:

Isn't there still a problem with an OPC warranty if non N-Rated PSS tyres are fitted??

How can a tyre affect warranty . That makes no sense and how could that be justified . It has no correlation . 

Anyway, over here OPC mount the PSS , so go figure ........

--

Yup. Not N- Rated.

--

As I said no US supply of many Michelin ultra high performance tires in 295/30-19 sizing. Michelin did a manufacturing consolidation and didn't produce enough tires prior to shutting down a manufacturing line. No tires in this size prior to Dec. 2015 at the earliest. I confirmed with Michelin USA customer service, Tire Rack, and PCNA. 

--

I you need grip get the Pirelli . If you need more longevity , get the Bridgestone .

Both are good anyway .
    --

The newer Pirelli PZero is a pretty good tire in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Gnil:
    John H:

How can a tyre affect warranty . That makes no sense and how could that be justified . It has no correlation . 

Here is a response from Michelin UK...

The "N" rated options are the OE tyre Pilot Sport PS2 which is a great road tyre, and if you were using the car on track we do have a Pilot Sport Cup2 in "N" rated as well

Currently (and it's been well discussed many's an hour..) we don't have the Pilot Super Sport available in N rated for 911 models. If fits, it works, but it's not "N" marked. So it's really only a decision you can make
    It depends on where you are with warranty and Porsche..

So, if you're not affected in your area - then good for you!!  Do a bit more homework before you ask me to "go figure"!!! Smiley

--

John H:
    Gnil:
    John H:

The "N" rated options are the OE tyre Pilot Sport PS2 which is a great road tyre, and if you were using the car on track we do have a Pilot Sport Cup2 in "N" rated as well

Currently (and it's been well discussed many's an hour..) we don't have the Pilot Super Sport available in N rated for 911 models. If fits, it works, but it's not "N" marked. So it's really only a decision you can make

So, if you're not affected in your area - then good for you!!  Do a bit more homework before you ask me to "go figure"!!! Smiley

The problem with the warranty is due to the fact that Porsche centres have to run through a check-list on an used car before awarding an extended warranty, and one point on that list is that the car has to be fitted with N-rated tyres of the correct dimensions. 

--

fritz

^ That's not to say you can't put whatever you want on it after the fact. Realistically, the difference between an N-rated PSS vs. a non-N-rated PSS would be a lot less than the difference between an N-rated PSS vs. an N-rated PZero. yes

JoeRockhead:

^ That's not to say you can't put whatever you want on it after the fact. Realistically, the difference between an N-rated PSS vs. a non-N-rated PSS would be a lot less than the difference between an N-rated PSS vs. an N-rated PZero. yes

Difficult to say. I do not understand why people do not "respect" the N-rating, unless of course they have difficulties getting the N-rated version in their region.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

John H:
    Gnil:

Maybe I do not realy understand what '' go figure'' means Smiley English is not my language . No offense meant at all Smiley

What I want to say, is that here the Official Porsche dealers mont them .. and there is no warranty issue . I often think Porsche UK is being ' anal' just for the sake to make it difficult to it's customers .

Again, how can a tyre have anything to do with a warranty ...... unless the tyre is responsible for an accident . 

So, if your engine has a problem, or your door does not close, warranty is not going to work because of your non N rated tyre Smiley It does not make any sense .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Official dealers in certain countries have to deal with certain guidelines, especially when it comes to warranty. Even worse is "Approved" because if the car doesn't "meet" a single point of the over 100 points guideline, the warranty cannot be granted. It is impossible to get "Approved" for a car with non-OEM rims, tires or exhaust system. Just an example, there are many more. It also seems that every country has different rules and regulations.

--

RC:

Official dealers in certain countries have to deal with certain guidelines, especially when it comes to warranty. Even worse is "Approved" because if the car doesn't "meet" a single point of the over 100 points guideline, the warranty cannot be granted. It is impossible to get "Approved" for a car with non-OEM rims, tires or exhaust system. Just an example, there are many more. It also seems that every country has different rules and regulations.

If I'm not mistaken, the same 100-point check-list applies for "Approved" used cars sold through the Porsche network as for cars submitted for the "voluntary" extended warranty offered by Porsche through its dealers.
    Porsche's warranty, Porsche's rules.  Smiley

It makes sense to Porsche, because "approving" non-recommended tyre types or sizes on an approved used car or on a car submitted for pre-warranty inspection would be interpreted as meaning that the "wrong" tyres are also officially approved for fitting. 
    --

fritz

So as I posted earlier, there are NO 295-19 PS2s available in the US. By the way, there are also no 295-19 PSS's. Michelin screwed up big time.

So I have ordered 305-19 PS2s which are in inventory in US to complement the PS2s that I purchased for the front several months back. Tire Rack swears the 305s will fit on my C2S rims and in the wheel wells of my car.

--

Firstly, my apologies to 'grease' - I really didn't mean to go off-topic..

Also to Gnil - I was a bit offended by the "so go figure..." remark as, in English, it's a somewhat derogatory statement meaning, in essence, "I know better than you, so why don't you try to work it out!" 

In retrospect, we've been communicating amicably, here on R/T, for over a decade and I should have realised that it was a language thing!  So, apologies for my reaction...wink

I just wish I could speak your language as fluently as you speak mine...

--

grease:

So as I posted earlier, there are NO 295-19 PS2s available in the US. By the way, there are also no 295-19 PSS's. Michelin screwed up big time.

So I have ordered 305-19 PS2s which are in inventory in US to complement the PS2s that I purchased for the front several months back. Tire Rack swears the 305s will fit on my C2S rims and in the wheel wells of my car.

Tire Rack's advisors have much experience and would not make a suggestion that wouldn't work well.  I've been a steady customer for the past thirty or so years.

John H:

Also to Gnil - I was a bit offended by the "so go figure..." remark as, in English, it's a somewhat derogatory statement meaning, in essence, "I know better than you, so why don't you try to work it out!" 

In retrospect, we've been communicating amicably, here on R/T, for over a decade and I should have realised that it was a language thing!  So, apologies for my reaction...wink

No problems. Now I understand what it means exactly .

I just thought it was an expression saying something like :  I don't get it / what  a strange thing  etc..... 

Language - language . my wife is South African , so we speak 60 % of the time in English , but as it is not my language, we had often misunderstandings because of what I say does not mean what I think because  I use the wrong words .

For example : She's asks me how a find her new hair cut : I say '' fine'' , she gets crossed as she says '' fine'' means not good. To me fine is good Smiley 

Or is that just a women thing anyway Smiley

I asked my wife what ' go figure ' means ....... she did not know either and said she never heard of it  Smiley

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

John H:

Firstly, my apologies to 'grease' - I really didn't mean to go off-topic..

We all are friends here and while I know that my bluntness and language sometimes offends others, same goes for other users, may it be a language issue or not, I think that 99% of us longtime users and moderators mean no harm or insults. We are like a big family talking to each other, sometimes forgetting that in real life, we aren't actually that close, so there is a lot of room for misunderstanding.

Long story short: I haven't really encountered any ill meant insults from longtime users, just accidental ones or ones which may be related to the fact that English isn't always the mother language or that we consider each other to be friends or family and I doubt that we treat our friends and family always as "distant" and "respecful" as we do with complete strangers. Just saying...

Smiley

P.S.: @Gnil. Fine is never good enough for a woman. Never ever. You need to use the words "amazing", "breathtaking" or "beautiful". I learned that the hard way in a marriage of over 22 years. Smiley Sometimes I ask my wife if she wants my honest opinion or not and in 99% of the cases, she says "not". Smiley Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766953 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437880 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261596 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258552 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83103 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877951 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810607 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM