Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Giulia laps the ring in 7.39

RC:

Prices for 4C in Germany have kind of dropped lately, even official dealers sell new cars for up to under 8k EUR under the new car price tag, which is surprising. In the past, they sold the cars over MSRP.

It's not surprising really as the market for 2 seat sports cars is tiny despite what forum enthusiasts like to think Smiley  Even with the low production numbers Alfa are making there are still more cars than buyers at present on the used market.

Car companies simply cannot survive producing this type of product alone unless they have a parent group with deeps pockets and a lot of technology they can access off the shelf. It is almost amusing reading Alfa enthusiast forums as they are horrified by the price of the Giulia QV (even though it is apparently offering performance to rival or beat the M3/4) and the prospect of Alfa making SUV's yet few of them buy the cars new and prefer to wait until they have taken a sizeable depreciation hit before picking them up for a much reduced price. The irony that this is a model for the failure of the brand seems lost on many of them Smiley

sfo:

Just spoke to Thames .. very helpful

4C Spider "demo" (manager's car, not demo) due in about 4 weeks,they have agreed to let me drive it.

It appears there is no waiting list of any kind.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Dynamic mode is not available during the run in period so it is best to ask Thames to let you know when their car has passed this point or you won't get the full experience on a test drive.

I think early coupe buyers might have switched to a new spider had there been greater demand on the used market for the coupe but as it stands the cost to change will put most off I should imagine. You'll be glad to hear that it is possible to order more of the leather options for the interior of the spider such as the leather dash, door cards etc Smiley

ISUK:
    RC:

Prices for 4C in Germany have kind of dropped lately, even official dealers sell new cars for up to under 8k EUR under the new car price tag, which is surprising. In the past, they sold the cars over MSRP.

It's not surprising really as the market for 2 seat sports cars is tiny despite what forum enthusiasts like to think Smiley  Even with the low production numbers Alfa are making there are still more cars than buyers at present on the used market.

Car companies simply cannot survive producing this type of product alone unless they have a parent group with deeps pockets and a lot of technology they can access off the shelf. It is almost amusing reading Alfa enthusiast forums as they are horrified by the price of the Giulia QV (even though it is apparently offering performance to rival or beat the M3/4) and the prospect of Alfa making SUV's yet few of them buy the cars new and prefer to wait until they have taken a sizeable depreciation hit before picking them up for a much reduced price. The irony that this is a model for the failure of the brand seems lost on many of them Smiley

Many cars seem to be dealer show room cars, I get the feeling that the dealers tried to sell them at a premium this summer but didn't succeed. Also, now that the 4C Spider is available, this could be a another reason.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

ISUK:
    sfo:

Just spoke to Thames .. very helpful

4C Spider "demo" (manager's car, not demo) due in about 4 weeks,they have agreed to let me drive it.

It appears there is no waiting list of any kind.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Dynamic mode is not available during the run in period so it is best to ask Thames to let you know when their car has passed this point or you won't get the full experience on a test drive.

I think early coupe buyers might have switched to a new spider had there been greater demand on the used market for the coupe but as it stands the cost to change will put most off I should imagine. You'll be glad to hear that it is possible to order more of the leather options for the interior of the spider such as the leather dash, door cards etc Smiley

thanks for the info on dynamic mode

the configurator has leather dash option at £700. yes, I like leather :)

even in London, I have only seen a 4C once on the road.

sfo:

even in London, I have only seen a 4C once on the road.

Same in Germany. Saw two cars in one year. Smiley Smiley

Alfa Romeo's reputation seems to be a serious issue, maybe time to do something about it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Many cars seem to be dealer show room cars, I get the feeling that the dealers tried to sell them at a premium this summer but didn't succeed. Also, now that the 4C Spider is available, this could be a another reason.

The order system for the coupe was frankly chaotic so many of these dealer cars may well be customer spec'ed orders where the original customer gave up on all hope of the car ever appearing. The car on display in my dealer's showroom for example was ordered by a customer in January 2014 with an anticipated delivery of December 2014. The car finally arrived at the dealer in July this year by which time the original buyer had understandably lost patience and bought another car. The communication from Italy over this period of 18 months was almost non existent I believe. It seems Alfa simply were not geared up to launch this car across the number of markets they did and in the process have managed to disappoint a whole raft of buyers eager to get their hands on a car. This has not helped build brand image by any stretch but those owners who do persevere generally love the car.

Production seems to have settled down much better now at the Maserati factory in Modena where they are assembled and cars are being built in batches by destination market and model type it appears - a lot of US market spiders have just been produced for example.

Sorry to keep the thread off topic but here are some photo's of the limited edition special built for Club Italia which featured additional carbon fibre items such as the roof and front canards plus the Akrapovič exhaust (which is not available until next year on any other 4C models I believe). It really does look like a junior Ferrari in this spec.

14425739533721.JPG

14425739676212.JPG

14425739864293.JPG

14425739978225.JPG

like the central twin exhausts

Thames dealer tried very hard and a number of times to get me interested in the Coupe he had in the showroom ..

Wouldn't you in his shoes? Smiley Smiley  Looks like a good spec so make him a cheeky bid if it is of any interest once you've seen/driven the car. You never know you he might just accept it as these are expensive cars to stock for dealers used to selling much cheaper Alfa's and Fiat's. For the same cash he has tied up in the 4C he could have 4 or 5 new Fiat 500's which he would shift on quite quickly producing a better return.

don't want a Coupe unfortunately, and worse, hate black cars.

I didn't let him tell me anything about spec.

I probably imagined him telling me it was black ..

I switched off after he said Coupe.

ISUK is that red car above with the black roof a coupe or Spider?

It's a coupe.

I had the pleasure to knew Bijan in person. I also know his son. Great characters!

The thing I love most - it shows America! Cool enough that he can paint that park-meter yellow and park his sports car every single day in front of his store without putting any coin into that park-meter. indecision

Also - it shows the humanization of the American Dream! 

And regarding that Veyron... he actually owned another one, too: 

Lars997:

I had the pleasure to knew Bijan in person. I also know his son. Great characters!

The thing I love most - it shows America! Cool enough that he can paint that park-meter yellow and park his sports car every single day in front of his store without putting any coin into that park-meter. indecision

Also - it shows the humanization of the American Dream! 

And regarding that Veyron... he actually owned another one, too: 

I agree. With the right product, passion and friendliness, you can achieve a lot in the US. Apparently Bijan did everything right and his customers loved him. 

--

The normal giulia with 2 litre turbo 330hp says has been clocked at 8min at the ring, they are really pushing hard with the performance marketing for this car.

--

993 c2

In the class where Giulia aspires to be successful Ring times are not a prime criterion. Many can boost a car to go round circles but this is not what is required to sell a compact executive car.

It will compete against D class cars and it should outdo the 3 series and similar through other more difficult to achieve attributes.

--

"Form follows function"

but if they manage to be considered the most sportier or fastest in their segment , it is a come back with a strong caracter and something different i guess. 

They can't compete in quality, and the things the germans are best on, so maybe the prestanda and road feeling and handling is the key??!!

we will see.

--

993 c2

The is what Nissan did and it worked for them...

We'll see. Alfa Romeo tried to do more comebacks since the 80's than any old rock band.

As a past Alfa aficionado I wish them good luck this time.

--

"Form follows function"

I lke their new aproach, sports cars focus on driver but this time I believe reliablity is on pair with performance, something that never happened on the passed.

--

J.Seven

SciFrog:

Not really, unless you are taking in account the US market only.

In Germany, Nissan sells mostly some low priced hatchbacks, Crossover SUVs and such cars. The GT-R is not selling well over here (if you see one once a year on the road, you're lucky) and the Infinity brand is basically dead over here.

--

reginos:

...........As a past Alfa aficionado I wish them good luck this time.

It would be nice if they could regain some of their past successes....I had a 1750 Spider in 1971 and loved the car!

RC:
    SciFrog:

In Germany, Nissan sells mostly some low priced hatchbacks, Crossover SUVs and such cars. The GT-R is not selling well over here (if you see one once a year on the road, you're lucky) and the Infinity brand is basically dead over here.

Over here I see the  GT-R nearly every day . But Switzerland, not having it s own national brands to favour  have always been open to japanese cars

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    RC:
    SciFrog:

Over here I see the  GT-R nearly every day . But Switzerland, not having it s own national brands to favour  have always been open to japanese cars

I just wanted to say the same thing. The GT-R seems to be quite popular in Switzerland, you can see many of them there.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

In Switzerland, the GT-R is very likely popular because it also has AWD. I also saw lots of US cars in Switzerland, mostly Cadillacs, something I barely saw in Germany at that time.

Also, there is a huge Shelby GT500 community in Switzerland, very interesting.

--

Yes, AWD makes it popular and the price makes the rest . 

French are  into french cars, Germans are into german cars . Normal . They have been drilled to  support their local manufacturers + are naturally drawn towards their own brands .

We do not build any cars . So we do not have this . We then go for what ever is interesting . Yes, the Shelby/ Mustang/Challenger community is important here , and you see these cars as often as the GT-R

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689450 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409153 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255710 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857925 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773967 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM