Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

Initial reports seems good for the 991.2. Sound isn't as bad as feared and the target audience of 911 these days will love the extra torque and CarPlay. Unknown also is the impact of AWS on driving feel but potentially a big plus. But in the end the biggest impact will be the high production numbers.

Thanks Spyderidol. I guess we will have to wait until next year to see car testing in preparation for Sept 2016 BOP testing in France. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

Today in Stuttgart a new 991.2 was passing by while I was waiting at the traffic light. It was a Carrera (no S) - no Sport Exhaust. had to say the car sounded really good. It was accelerating from the traffic light and was speeding up strongly. Was sounding close to the 991.1 - not much different - and this car didn't even had a sport exhaust! kiss

Other than sound - front looks much improved - those day lights are slim and neat. The rear lights are looking a bit the way that I have to get used to. It doesn't show it on pictures, but in flesh It was a bit awkward - and I always thought that those lights are the biggest improvement.... funny! And yes the rear bumper with those air flow holes in on the side - looks amazing!

The car was slate grey - looked really great!

Miami blue real world pics.

RC:
    dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

Besides the NA engine I don't see anything desirable on the 991.1 - unlike what I've heard from some Dealers that demand of 997 - even Turbo - has increased as the Cockpit feel is much more 911 than the GT like 991. I believe that Prices will only be rather stable on GT3/RS models when it Comes to the 991 range.

I'd agree 100%. I had several drives in the 991 whilst we owned our 997/2 and came away very underwhelmed. We were loaned a 991/S for a few days and I was bored with it before we returned it. Exactly as you say the 991 is more GT than sports car in feel, 997/2 was more sporty, more mechanical in feel.

Have you tried the GTS? My C4 GTS Cab with PDCC feels worlds sportier than my 997 C2 GTS Cab and the 997 GTS was already a notch sportier than the 997 CS (had the 997.1 CS with PCCB, actually a pre-production car Smiley). PDCC makes a huge difference in drive feel, so does not choosing power steering plus (many have it and aren't even aware of it Smiley).

There is only a single thing I do not like on my C4 GTS Cab: Power. For the Autobahn, this car is certainly the wrong toy (a M5 or E63 would make me cry...) but luckily, I mainly use it in the city and a lot on country roads. There is no more fun than driving the C4 GTS Cab on a sunny day through those curvy country roads over here, amazing feel.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

No, I've not driven the latest 991 GTS, largely because it is (was) well beyond my budget, (even used ones are) but I am sure it is an improvement on the "standard" 991 S. My comparison was with our own 997/2 Carrera S PDK and the 991 Carrera S PDK. High performance on Autobahn is not relevant in the UK with a max 70 mph (112 km/h) limit. Even the 997/2 Carrera S was overkill here. Smiley For us the Boxster GTS works much better, get open top thrills without risking driving bans through excessive speed. Performance is more than adequate, and that amazing sound is a real bonus, dreading the killing off this amazing engine in 981/2 for a miserable flat 4. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I prefer the 997.2 to the 991.1 at "normal" speeds and twisty roads where the old car is more interactive and more rewarding to get it right i.e. more fun

The 991 is more composed at very high speeds (starting from near 200km/h), in a range where the 997 starts feeling risky. But such speeds are relevant only in Germany and even there for a minority.

It is better to drive a slower car relatively fast than a faster car relatively slow.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I prefer the 997.2 to the 991.1 at "normal" speeds and twisty roads where the old car is more interactive and more rewarding to get it right i.e. more fun

I disagree. Had a 997 C2 GTS Cab, drove a 997 C4S Cab recently (the car of my wife's friend), the 991 C4 GTS Cab with PDCC is miles ahead in drive feel and agility. 

The 991 is more composed at very high speeds (starting from near 200km/h), in a range where the 997 starts feeling risky. But such speeds are relevant only in Germany and even there for a minority.

It is better to drive a slower car relatively fast than a faster car relatively slow.

Yes, the 991 feels more stable at higher speeds but like I said before, there is a pretty obvious difference at lower speeds as well. I do not know why people have that impression of the 991 but it may have to do with the first model year cars with that flawed electric steering setup. Even Chris Harris noticed that. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

True, the 991 I drove was a test drive car after the model introduction.

I know that Porsche have a policy of continuous improvement.

So this might the reason.

The AWD made the 997 feel very stodgy and the 991 system is very improved. But I cannot fault the 997.2 PDK with LSD for agility.

--

"Form follows function"

KresoF1:

Usually Germans never buy these colors (only black, white, grey) but this looks like it is a US model. What's up with these LB plates? Is this a factory test car?

wantone:
    KresoF1:

Usually Germans never buy these colors (only black, white, grey) but this looks like it is a US model. What's up with these LB plates? Is this a factory test car?

Seeing how badly that colour fits in on a dull autumn day in Germany you can understand that it doesn't sell well there.
    It is a factory car. "LB" stands for Ludwigsburg (near Stuttgart), where Porsche has its distribution and services division. 

--

fritz

What will be the future of this car? Will they test it in Germany and then ship it to the US and sell it as a used car?

fritz:
    eeing how badly that colour fits in on a dull autumn day in Germany you can understand that it doesn't sell well there.

Yes, grey cars "fit" the ugly grey autumn / winter over here better, but then I think a nice "pop" colour now and then may help to overcome the winter blues....BTW in the pics Miami looks much closer to Riviera than what I would have thought...

--

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

wantone:

What will be the future of this car? Will they test it in Germany and then ship it to the US and sell it as a used car?

Unlikely, I would have thought. A car previously registered in another country, as is obviously the case here, would have too "tainted" a history to sell normally through the official dealership network. It is also likely to be a "pre-production" car, built as part of a dummy run to optimise assembly processes and train workers. These cars are usually then used internally (company cars), as press introduction cars, or dealer demo cars.
    I suspect that a USA-spec car used for a while as an internal factory car would have a relatively short life before it gets an early appointment with a crusher.   Smiley

--

fritz

Do you think that they destroy these cars even it they are preproduction models? The car in the pics looks like a complete car.

fritz:
    wantone:
    KresoF1:

Seeing how badly that colour fits in on a dull autumn day in Germany you can understand that it doesn't sell well there.
    It is a factory car. "LB" stands for Ludwigsburg (near Stuttgart), where Porsche has its distribution and services division. 

OTOH when the weather is dark and overcast like in central Europe and above, such colours contribute to safety due to their high visibility.

Remember when in the 80s VW introduced what they advertised as "safety colours" for the Golf II, orange. bright green, etc.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    fritz:
    wantone:
    KresoF1:

OTOH when the weather is dark and overcast like in central Europe and above, such colours contribute to safety due to their high visibility.

Remember when in the 80s VW introduced what they advertised as "safety colours" for the Golf II, orange. bright green, etc.

And where are they now?  Smiley

I agree that brighter colours contribute to the visibility of cars, but the "market" tends to forget that when it comes to choosing a new car's spec. That's one reason why cars are now fitted with daylight driving lights instead. 

--

fritz

wantone:

Do you think that they destroy these cars even it they are preproduction models? The car in the pics looks like a complete car.

I suspect that it would depend on the individual circumstances. Smiley  
    All preproduction cars would normally be complete cars, but one circumstance working against this particular car is, as I mentioned above, the fact that its first registration for road use took place in the "wrong" country. It could only be sold in its intended market with a lot of individual "handling" which consumes more resources than it might be worth for organisations geared to streamlined automated mass-processing procedures.
    Whist we as drivers see a highly desirable complete car, car manufacturers see pre-production cars as a means to an end, an unavoidable prerequisite to arriving at a stage where cars are produced which can then be sold with a clear conscience to customers paying full prices for them. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    reginos:
    fritz:
    wantone:
    KresoF1:

And where are they now?  Smiley

I agree that brighter colours contribute to the visibility of cars, but the "market" tends to forget that when it comes to choosing a new car's spec. That's one reason why cars are now fitted with daylight driving lights instead. 

We have Lava Orange, Racing Yellow etc. now which are fashionable and "safe".

DDLs help visibility from the front but not from the side.

However, other road users must be alert whatever one does to be visible. Two weeks ago I was going through traffic lights on my motorbike in broad daylight summer weather and someone doing a right turn (we drive on the left) threw me down. He was too late to notice me he said in spite of my motorbike being of substantial size, white and with a strong headlight Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

DRLs are not really an effective method of increasing visibility. Initially, they were, because they were new, but now that nearly every car on the road has DRLs, people's brains just filter them out as noise, because 99.9% of the time that's exactly what they are. And, actually, it probably means they are now also filtering out the DRL on motorcycles as well.

Hah, love it. Everyone have been moaning for years about the all the grey and brown colors and now finally Porsche opens up with orange and blue... and then people start moaning about the colors not fitting in indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Hah, love it. Everyone have been moaning for years about the all the grey and brown colors and now finally Porsche opens up with orange and blue... and then people start moaning about the colors not fitting in indecision

Every time the same thing,everything you do is not right.Smiley

you made yellow,they whant silver,you made silver,they whant yellow...you whant a rear wing they don't make it,they make a wing...mmh,no is too big.SmileySmiley

hHAAHHAHAAHSmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

bluelines:

Well, I'm certainly not moaning, just commenting on my perception of why brighter colours don't sell so well in some markets.
    Personally, I've driven a signal green Porsche, several guards red ones, a couple of "exotic" PTS colours , and would order speedgelb in a heartbeat when available.
    But I also know that you have to listen to people saying "Oh, it will be difficult to sell that when the time comes". Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Personally, I've driven a signal green Porsche, several guards red ones, a couple of "exotic" PTS colours , and would order speedgelb in a heartbeat when available.

You are my hero! Smiley Smiley

--

metal inserts a la aston martin in body colour in those rear lights would look really great (i  the part with the indent)

Aston_Martin_DB9_coupé_rear.jpgporsche-991-carrera-s-mkii-c582316092015203747_8.jpg

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

metal inserts a la aston martin in body colour in those rear lights would look really great (i  the part with the indent)

Hm, I think you are on to something. This could look great.

image.png.jpeg

--

bluelines:
    fritz:

+1 Smiley

bluelines:
    intouch1:

image.png.jpeg

+ 1 well done

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

m4ever:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

+1 Smiley

Well, I have to burst that bubble by adding that I've also had black (metallic and flat), silver and white cars.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    m4ever:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

+1 Smiley

Well, I have to burst that bubble by adding that I've also had black (metallic and flat), silver and white cars.  Smiley

Nooooo... Smiley Why, oh why...

Smiley Smiley

--

intouch1:
    bluelines:
    intouch1:

image.png.jpeg

+ 1 well done

Great idea Intouch - this really loos superb! Nice add on!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690435 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409719 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255942 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235247 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65641 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858378 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774646 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM