Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Ferrari Generation.

Dino V6 and FF gullwing star in new Ferrari generation.

► New Ferrari generation
    ► A redesigned Dino V6 will star 
    ► Radical gullwing FF plans  

A new wave of Ferrari sports cars are coming, with new chairman Sergio Marchionne having sanctioned a compact, mid-engined ‘Dino’ powered by an all-new V6 engine. The Dino will be the newcomer to the re-energised prancing horse stable, which will be built on an all-new components set and share a revamped engine line-up. 

Having bent Fiat and Chrysler to his will, Marchionne will lose no time streamlining the complex and in places inefficient Maranello operation. Critical to this will be the new modular vehicle architecture, which will cater for all future models bar LaFerrari-style carbonfibre hypercars. This flexible architecture will continue Ferrari’s aluminium spaceframe approach, and will likely be introduced with the second-gen California in 2017.

Thanks to advanced bonding techniques and a cleverly re-engineered body in white, weight will come down by up to 200kg. The parts kit can accommodate six, eight and 12-cylinder engines, in a front- or mid-engined position; the electronic platform and suspension are pooled too. This so-called AFM kit not only helps cut development and purchasing costs, it also introduces a new level of production flexibility, and makes limited run specials easier to implement.

Meaner, more dynamic, radical cars planned

FXXK and 488 point the brand in an even sportier design direction – more radical and with track-focused aero. The 2017 California MkII will be significantly lower, meaner and more dynamic in appearance and character too. The best-selling Ferrari will retain its folding hardtop, which loses weight and stacks more efficiently. In addition to the turbocharged 3.9-litre V8, Marchionne may grow Ferrari’s reach with a less expensive California powered by the new 2.9-litre twin-turbo V6.

The comeback of a six-cylinder Ferrari engine is the cornerstone of project Dino. In the wake of Lampredi’s straight-six, Jano’s first-generation V6 and Rocchi’s 2.0- and 2.4-litre V6 units, this will be the brand’s fourth six-pot effort and the first since 1974.

It might seem logical to arrange the cylinder banks of the V6 and V8 engines at a common 90deg angle, but research is also looking at an F1-style wide-angle 120deg V6 which would push down the centre of gravity. While Alfa has pegged its top-of-the-line V6 at 503bhp, Ferrari says that 600 horses are perfectly feasible – and that’s before adding the kick of electric assistance, or E-chargers to provide lag-free electric turbo boost.

The V6 Dino: performance

The V6 is made to measure for the Dino which, at around €185,000 (£131,000), will be anything but a cheap Ferrari. Pooled with the completely redesigned 488 replacement, the reborn Dino is a compact mid-engined two-seater which sits on a shortened and slightly narrower platform. It’s 120mm shorter, sports slimmer overhangs, a low roofline and various drag-cutting elements. Different lights, bumpers, wheels and doors further differentiate it from its V8 sibling. Those in the know claim that the V6 model, which may be badged 486, looks butch and aggressive rather than sleek and elegant like the original launched in 1965.

A Dino was blocked by ousted CEO Luca di Montezemolo, but Marchionne has said the baby Ferrari is not a matter of if but when. The new chief is looking for ways to expand the prancing horse range, while staying true to the brand’s sports cars ethos; an SUV is currently off limits.

According to suppliers, the Dino’s V6 will be available with 450 and 600bhp. The modified V8 would be rated at 680bhp, and at 720bhp for the 488 Challenge/Speciale. V8-engined cars may also get a 150bhp boost from an electric power pack. While E-chargers may well be standard on future turbo engines, plug-in hybrid variants also get a recuperation system, a high-performance battery pack and zero emissions running. A third, lighter option could be 35bhp mild hybrid assistance.

W

Plans for the next flagship Ferrari are fluid

A lesser version of LaFerrari without E-pack has been discussed but not approved. Instead, the engineers are said to be preparing a secret model for the brand’s 70th anniversary in 2017. This project, referred to by some as LaFerrarina, is loosely based on the platform of its $1m-plus stablemate. It is allegedly less extreme in design and concept, with a greater production run of perhaps 1947 units. No word on whether this car would run the V12 or combine a turbocharged V8 with the next-generation E-power unit.

As for the front-engined V12 flagship, the Maranello decision-makers contemplated replacing it with a mid-engined V12 coupe/spyder, or adding such a two-seater as a fifth model line. A smaller frontal area and a mid-mounted engine’s superior dynamics would help directly compete with Lambo’s Aventador SV. But customer feedback told Ferrari to stick with the engine up front. Although turbocharging the V12 would easily yield 1000bhp and more, an eco-conscious faction favours a plug-in hybrid fusing a V8 with a boost battery, for prodigious grunt and 30-miles of electric-only range. Like its sister models, the next F12 is going to be an even more dramatic looking piece of kit – narrower, lower, shorter, a mix of muscle car and high-end GT.

Radical plans for FF

The 4wd FF wagon will evolve sooner rather than later. Next year’s facelift brings an entry level V8 edition and a redesigned rear end with a less upright tailgate, a sleeker roofline, new lights, and bumpers with sharper contours. 2020’s completely new Mk2 FF, which also uses the AFM matrix, breaks with tradition in more ways than one.

It’s again front-engined and four-wheel drive, but rumour has it that the V12 will be replaced by a more economical twin-turbo V8. There is talk of a stunning, revolutionary body design with full-length gullwing doors and no B-pillars: think Maurizio Gandini’s Bertone Marzal. Some kind of avantgarde door concept is a cert.

Again shaped by design maestro Flavio Manzoni, the silhouette should encompass a shorter-nose, longer-roof coupe with a mildly extended shortback rear. No, this is not the first four-door Ferrari – the 1980 Pinin concept takes that trophy. But it is the first four-seater from Maranello which treats all occupants with equal courtesy.

Ferrari: the new wave

• 2016 F12 GTO 800bhp F12 GTO (650 units only) already being privately showcased to customers

In 2017, the Ferrari California is set to gain a new flexible aluminium platform

• 2017 California Mk2 Mk2 cabrio introduces new flexible aluminium platform
    • 2018/19 Dino Compact two-seater with all-new V6 mounted amidships
    • 2021 F12 replacement Still front-engined, but could adopt V8 hybrid power
    • 2016 FF facelift Big changes include new rear end and V8 option

• 2017 LaFerrarina Less extreme and exclusive LaFerrari to mark brand’s 70th birthday
    • 2020 FF Mk2 Still four seats and 4wd, but with stunning looks and innovative doors
    • 2021/22 488 replacement Twinned with Dino, but running 680bhp V8

Re: New Ferrari Generation.

Don't like the sound of any of this. Makes me want to look at F12's...

Regarding design, I wish Ferrari can go back to the four round tail lights, they use to look so much better with those!

--

J.Seven

They're waiting till everyone stops associating that with Corvette. 

Lights, however, appear to be the most fad driven area of automotive design (except at Lexus). I don't know why manufacturers are so afraid of particularly classic design elements (pun intended) other than that they are afraid of looking old or "dated". Particularly this whole "3D" fad, lately, has gotten out of hand, and produced some of the ugliest lights in the history of automotive design.

I hope to see roofline like this on facelifted FF kiss

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

I like this future , as opposed to  tired, predictable , sorta boring " new improved " 1) lithe midV8 2 seater 2) porker  front V12 2 seater 3) " what were they thinking " ugly front V12 four seater 4) once a decade supercar bone for the loyal frequent buyer of all the above that has been the MO for the past 20-25 yrs 

time to stir things up ! 

Flavio Manzoni is an extremely talented designer and I am sure he will stir things up - the FXXK being a great example.. The date for the 488 replacement seems a little late to me.

Way too late. 2020 max.

Funny enough I really like the roof line of the FF. My issue are the recessed panels at the rear headlights...

SciFrog:

Funny enough I really like the roof line of the FF.

20 years ago, this was thought by most folks to be quite ugly when new ...now it is collectible and therefore worth more than the much more popular at the time Z3 M cabriolet on which it was based ..... partly , I believe due to folks now conditioned to the " two box "  look and utility of smaller sedan chassis - based " cute utes " vs the traditional " three box " vehicles they are derived from 

koko:

Way too late. 2020 max.

The 488 is not considered a facelift but an entirely new car, at least from Ferrari's perspective. There are no reasons to think that it will not run for 5 years. Given that deliveries have just started, 2021 sounds like the earliest date for a replacement. Plus I don't see much serious competition for the 488 in the next 4-5 years so Ferrari is covered.

The 488 is considered an evolution car from the 458 (like the 430 was to the 360).  I'd say at least 5 years.

keithos27:

The 488 is considered an evolution car from the 458 (like the 430 was to the 360).  I'd say at least 5 years.

The problem with Ferraris always have been - they age very badly. Once the new one is out, the old one looks very very old. This time I guess they made a smart move. The 458 will keep its glory and the 488 will just become another sister. 

True but i just saw an F430 Scudria and it didn't look as dated as I thought it would.

Lars997:
    keithos27:

The problem with Ferraris always have been - they age very badly. Once the new one is out, the old one looks very very old. This time I guess they made a smart move. The 458 will keep its glory and the 488 will just become another sister. 

Totally disagree here. Considering the V8-models, I think nearly all off them aged very, very well, perhaps except the 348. But 328, 355, 360 and even 430 are all great looking cars, even today. We are not talking about Mercedes here. Smiley
    If you spot a 360 for example, the last thought that crosses your mind is "wow, this car looks really dated". Sometimes the facelifted car was better than the original design (355>348), sometimes it was worse (360>430), but to me most of them still look great, even if there are many generations between them and the current model.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

If you spot a 360 for example, the last thought that crosses your mind is "wow, this car looks really dated".

I agree - just saw a 360 Spider at lunch today with Manual gated 6spd and racing-style seats - looked great (and sounded good with Challenge grille and some aftermarket exhaust too).

And I think the really old Ferraris (1950's and 1960's) still look stunning and only improve every year Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Rossi:
    Lars997:
    keithos27:

Totally disagree here. Considering the V8-models, I think nearly all off them aged very, very well, perhaps except the 348. But 328, 355, 360 and even 430 are all great looking cars, even today. We are not talking about Mercedes here. Smiley
    If you spot a 360 for example, the last thought that crosses your mind is "wow, this car looks really dated". Sometimes the facelifted car was better than the original design (355>348), sometimes it was worse (360>430), but to me most of them still look great, even if there are many generations between them and the current model.

I agree. I think old F-Cars start looking better as they age like a red vine; and not only mid-engine V8s. I think 550 Maranello, 456 GT and even 612 look very nice today. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I agree on the 550 but definitely not the 456.

I desagree on the 360, for me 360 and 348 are the least desireble Ferraris. 308, 328, 355 and 430 are so much more appealing. I also think Ferrari age very well.

--

J.Seven

Lars997:
    keithos27:

I don't know about this. Saw a Testarossa last weekend, what a beauty. Also, the F430 looks quite "up-to-date" if you ask me (well, maybe not the interior).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

pride355:
    I agree. I think old F-Cars start looking better as they age like a red vine; and not only mid-engine V8s. I think 550 Maranello, 456 GT and even 612 look very nice today. 

Does this mean that everyone will start loving the FF in years to come  Smiley Smiley

crayphile:
    pride355:

Does this mean that everyone will start loving the FF in years to come  Smiley Smiley

I'm loving it from the very beginning. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I already love the FF but it is too expensive for me. For under 200k, this car would have been a no-brainer.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Rossi

I think we are in the minority ! Smiley

Early FF are under $200k already even with reasonable miles... Actually 3 year old FF sell for same nominal $$ than 4 year old early 612 were at the time, and FF have 25% higher MSRP. FF depreciation is brutal showing that demand is very low even in the used market. Surely the controversial design has a lot to do with it. Personally I like the roof line but not the recessed panels around the rear lights. For most apparently the issue is the roof line.

The problem with the 456 is the interior. It ages badly and has a lot of cheap plastics. The 612 is much much better and has trajectory control...

SciFrog:

Early FF are under $200k already even with reasonable miles... Actually 3 year old FF sell for same nominal $$ than 4 year old early 612 were at the time, and FF have 25% higher MSRP. FF depreciation is brutal showing that demand is very low even in the used market. Surely the controversial design has a lot to do with it. Personally I like the roof line but not the recessed panels around the rear lights. For most apparently the issue is the roof line.

The problem with the 456 is the interior. It ages badly and has a lot of cheap plastics. The 612 is much much better and has trajectory control...

It will be interesting to see what happens to used V12 FF prices if next year it moves to V8 Turbo only  - though I suspect the V12 will still be available.

crayphile:
    Rossi

I think we are in the minority ! Smiley

I love the FF too specially in subtle colors .

crayphile:
    SciFrog:

It will be interesting to see what happens to used V12 FF prices if next year it moves to V8 Turbo only  - though I suspect the V12 will still be available.

Based on Ferrari pre-IPO filling document, apparently less than 2000 FF have been built so far making it quite a rare car (by modern Ferrari production standards) and I wonder whether it will depreciate further, specially in light of a possible V8 replacement?

m4ever:

Based on Ferrari pre-IPO filling document, apparently less than 2000 FF have been built so far making it quite a rare car

Scarcity ought to  make it more valuable overtime Smiley  I've certainly done my bit to help the IPO Smiley

2000 or 3000 for the V12 4 seater is not rare. 612 production was 3000 and look at the prices... The manual (199 produced) or Sessanta (80 or so) and OTO (200 or so) are rare...

The rumor is V8 TT maybe only for China. It would be a mistake to offer both V8TT and V12 in the rest of the world, especially for such a low production car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690160 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409542 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65615 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858287 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774480 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM