Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:

Arrived at Stuttgart. The 911R really has surprisingly good fuel economy!

Finally back in Germany, omg, heaven, well mostly. On the unrestricted we were up past 250-260km/hr at times, but the car is not stable at all above 200km/hr, cross wind affects it very much. Maybe it was the winters tires that was only rated to 240km/hr.  But we ended up cursing at 180-200km/hr even during the unrestricted portions. And getting passed by 2.0TDI Jetta! I swear to god, those little things, all drives at 200+

Overall, after 2200km, the 911R is a very enjoyable car to drive, but only at slow to medium speed, and also for someone not looking to be fast. It's for someone looking for the enjoyment of shifting. it also made great sound when we rip it in the tunnels. 

Wasn´t expecting to hear that from a modern 911 Smiley

--

J.Seven

Whoopsy
    It is living up toe the initial hype? Nah, I don't think so. Those journalists are just full of shit. If they are seriously about a driver's 911, get a old 911, be it 911, 930, 964, 993. Those things will provide much more enjoyment than a 911R.

Maybe some will think I am cocky, saying what I say because I have an R. They can think like that all they want, but I did drive the shit out if it. The rear diffuser has been scratched already by bottoming out in those WONDERFUL Italian back roads. The front is also scratched quite bit. This car definitely is not going to be garage queen.

Thanks for the report  Smiley- very informative. My guess is you are going to sell it Smiley.

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

So if you had to do the same road again which car of your stable would you take?

The GT4, obviously Smiley

Nice writeup SmileySmiley

Yeah well my GT4 is too fast for the street hence not street legal Smiley

--

martini964:

Nice write up Nick, wondering if you wanna use FF. Im seriously thinking of it now., also how was clutch?

My FF is gone now, the Cayenne Turbo S replaced it completely. I needed to get rid of something with the unexpected purchase of the SVR. And  now when the R goes back to Canada it will also it have a spot with another unexpected purchase in the Turbo 3.6. I figured that with 4 Porsches there will be bound to have at least one in the dealership for service or recalls so it should be fine.

It was very nice as a 911 Turbo replacement, the much bigger back seat works wonders. But my oldest son hit his growth period now and gained about 8 inches during last year, he is taller than me now and doesn't quite fit in he back anymore. 

The current price of the FF is certainly attractive enough, the car is a gem if one can accept it's styling. Quite reliable too. 

--

J.Seven:
    Whoopsy:

Arrived at Stuttgart. The 911R really has surprisingly good fuel economy!

Finally back in Germany, omg, heaven, well mostly. On the unrestricted we were up past 250-260km/hr at times, but the car is not stable at all above 200km/hr, cross wind affects it very much. Maybe it was the winters tires that was only rated to 240km/hr.  But we ended up cursing at 180-200km/hr even during the unrestricted portions. And getting passed by 2.0TDI Jetta! I swear to god, those little things, all drives at 200+

Overall, after 2200km, the 911R is a very enjoyable car to drive, but only at slow to medium speed, and also for someone not looking to be fast. It's for someone looking for the enjoyment of shifting. it also made great sound when we rip it in the tunnels. 

Wasn´t expecting to hear that from a modern 911 Smiley

The R wasn't designed to be the fastest. It was designed to be a car that engages the senses. That it does quite well. The engine noise, the road noise, the manual shifting. But it has a cheat mode, the auto blip. I drove the first few with it off, and doing the manual heel and toe, but then I switched on Sport and the auto blip is just PERFECT! It makes driving a manual effortless, and takes away the challenge and satosfaction of doing a perfect heel and toe. Yes I could have turn it back off and do it manually, but he sensation is not the same anymore, No matter how good a human can do it, the car simply does it better. 

At the end of year day, if one really value the human machine interaction, an old 911 is the way to go. When I was driving the R on the autobahn, in the passes, being the fastest car went out the window. I was just trying to enjoy the car. And with that, I realized any old 911s will do the job, perhaps even better and cheaper. And that actually throws the whole 911R idea out the window.

--

crayphile:
    Whoopsy
    It is living up toe the initial hype? Nah, I don't think so. Those journalists are just full of shit. If they are seriously about a driver's 911, get a old 911, be it 911, 930, 964, 993. Those things will provide much more enjoyment than a 911R.

Maybe some will think I am cocky, saying what I say because I have an R. They can think like that all they want, but I did drive the shit out if it. The rear diffuser has been scratched already by bottoming out in those WONDERFUL Italian back roads. The front is also scratched quite bit. This car definitely is not going to be garage queen.

Thanks for the report  Smiley- very informative. My guess is you are going to sell it Smiley.

Well no. I would still keep it, it has matching limitation number with my 918. I know I will spend a lot of time with the Turbo 3.6, but this car is I guess my back up if I had enough of botched heel and toe in the 3.6Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Maybe some will think I am cocky, saying what I say because I have an R. They can think like that all they want, but I did drive the shit out if it. 

Not cocky Nick but rather more free from bias than most IMO. Since you have several such cars and change them frequently, you are not as tied to a certain car which makes you more bias or have much more post-purchase rationalization, if you don't objectively like it you simply move on to another one without it having big consequences... not even going to mention reporters which simply need to sell reviews/articles and "move" readers with their stories. So I while there is still the subjectiveness of each one's individual preferences and tastes, I would place heavier weight on your criticisms and praises on the 991R than most others I would read, and in the context of your personal tastes and preferences that you have shown in general on cars Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

This. Smiley

@Nick, great write-up, thanks again for sharing!

Carlos from Spain:

He is probably a nice guy and I'm for him happy that he is making a living out of selfie car videos and wish him the best, but personally I can't listen to his videos for more than a minute without getting bored and moving on, it just seems to be all insubstantial superficial talk about sportscars to me yes

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Not a fan either, however to be fair I liked his extensive GTC4 Lusso review, since he is an FF owner so he could compare the two.

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

On the unrestricted we were up past 250-260km/hr at times, but the car is not stable at all above 200km/hr, cross wind affects it very much. Maybe it was the winters tires that was only rated to 240km/hr.  

It was probably just the unusual weather - was quite windy the last days in Germany Smiley 

+ the winter tires with our spring like temperatures at the moment.

A basic 991 is stable at 250 Km/h, why should a 991 R be unstable?

Blueflame

blueflame:
    MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

On the unrestricted we were up past 250-260km/hr at times, but the car is not stable at all above 200km/hr, cross wind affects it very much. Maybe it was the winters tires that was only rated to 240km/hr.  

It was probably just the unusual weather - was quite windy the last days in Germany Smiley 

Blueflame

Snow tires a big factor, I think...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Nick, your candor is refreshing.kiss

So much so, I would buy a used car from you.indecision

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Thank you Nick

Grant:
    blueflame:
    MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

Blueflame

Snow tires a big factor, I think...

The Sottozeros (also installed on this 991R) are fine - no problems with high speed abilities (they are only allowed up to 240kph though). I really assume the strong winds over the last days caused the problem Smiley

Whoopsy:
    J But it has a cheat mode, the auto blip. I drove the first few with it off, and doing the manual heel and toe, but then I switched on Sport and the auto blip is just PERFECT! It makes driving a manual effortless, and takes away the challenge and satosfaction of doing a perfect heel and toe. Yes I could have turn it back off and do it manually, but he sensation is not the same anymore, No matter how good a human can do it, the car simply does it better. 

That auto blip also bothers me in the GT4 . It is a cheat and , as you say, the whole idea about involvement is thrown out of the window as you can not do anything wrong .  The even worse part is , that as you have it , you end up using it as it is better and more efficient then doing it yourself . I am all for manual, or all for PDK , but against this half/half .

Your description of the R is so much more objective then the one from car journalist Smiley

They praise the uniqueness of the R and that no other 911 is like it . There is one video where the journalist analyzes every little noise in the R and make it sound like it is unique . I compared these '' special' noises with my RS . And I have exactly the same ones Smiley No difference !!!!  Car journalist have to earn a living and make special articles . Often all of BS !

As to the instability of the R , I find your writing surprising . To me it is either due to extra strong wind ( we also had it these last days ) or to the fact that you are not used to drive on the Autobahn at higher speeds .  When I take my 997 Carrera S to 260 or 280 km/h , it feels less planted then my RS , but I would not call it unstable . It does provide a certain ' light feel ' , but that' s normal . I can't believe the 991 would be less stable then a 997 , specially that the 991 has a bigger back wing .

I have seen now my far neighbor drive around with his two R . The GT silver one and the Gulf blue one . I wonder how he decides which one to take Smiley
    --

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:
    J But it has a cheat mode, the auto blip. I drove the first few with it off, and doing the manual heel and toe, but then I switched on Sport and the auto blip is just PERFECT! It makes driving a manual effortless, and takes away the challenge and satosfaction of doing a perfect heel and toe. Yes I could have turn it back off and do it manually, but he sensation is not the same anymore, No matter how good a human can do it, the car simply does it better. 

That auto blip also bothers me in the GT4 . It is a cheat and , as you say, the whole idea about involvement is thrown out of the window as you can not do anything wrong .  The even worse part is , that as you have it , you end up using it as it is better and more efficient then doing it yourself . I am all for manual, or all for PDK , but against this half/half .

Your description of the R is so much more objective then the one from car journalist Smiley

They praise the uniqueness of the R and that no other 911 is like it . There is one video where the journalist analyzes every little noise in the R and make it sound like it is unique . I compared these '' special' noises with my RS . And I have exactly the same ones Smiley No difference !!!!  Car journalist have to earn a living and make special articles . Often all of BS !

As to the instability of the R , I find your writing surprising . To me it is either due to extra strong wind ( we also had it these last days ) or to the fact that you are not used to drive on the Autobahn at higher speeds .  When I take my 997 Carrera S to 260 or 280 km/h , it feels less planted then my RS , but I would not call it unstable . It does provide a certain ' light feel ' , but that' s normal . I can't believe the 991 would be less stable then a 997 , specially that the 991 has a bigger back wing .

I have seen now my far neighbor drive around with his two R . The GT silver one and the Gulf blue one . I wonder how he decides which one to take Smiley
    --

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Yes , at those speed on the 997.2 you have to have both hands on the steering and point exactly where you want to go and be firm with the steering, but I wouldn´t call it unstable too. Of course at 250Kph on the Panamera or Cayenne you can go with one hand on the steering and listen to music while talking with your wife Smiley 

--

J.Seven

I too suspect it's just the winter tires and strong cross wind. But we drove from Leipzig to Munich down to Italy and back up across to Stuttgart, it can't be just all cross wind at half of Germany. 

Last sept I drove a 911 Turbo S from Munich to Italy so it's not like I haven't experienced high speed with a 911 on he autobahn before. Granted that car was on summer tires but it doesn't feel nervous at all even at 280

--

Whoopsy:

actually that is a very viable perspective to have.....and from that point of view I fully agree with you...

kind of like if you want retro, just get the real thing instead of emulating it.

very good point and I fully agree with that.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Nick. We all knew that the 911 R is a fantastic Porsche but it is basically a GT3 RS with manual,  without the rear wing and a more comfortable chassis setup. A car many of us wanted with PDK and rear seats but something Porsche never wanted (or couldn't) give to us 911 fans. Smiley

Car journalists can never be trusted because they usually privately drive different cars and almost always are happy when they get an invite to test and review a nice car like the 911 R. Some of them probably feel obligated to write a nice review but in their defense, they usually don't have much of a comparison.

Austria Autobahn driving sucks but once you drive on some of those fantastic pass roads, you can have a lot of fun even at lower speeds. I am in Austria right now and discovered some nice pass roads (some of them are unfortunately closed in winter) and I definitely plan to come back here in summer to enjoy my R8. The Cayenne S Diesel isn't exactly the right car for that and I just discovered that it really sucks on fast changing curves because of too much side roll. I really missed my former Cayenne GTS (958.1) with PDCC.

If you are in Italy in 2018 with your 918, maybe we should do that Rennteam meet in Italy (as planned) right after you finish your event there, so you can join and we all can admire your 918. Just a thought though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

I too suspect it's just the winter tires and strong cross wind. But we drove from Leipzig to Munich down to Italy and back up across to Stuttgart, it can't be just all cross wind at half of Germany. 

Last sept I drove a 911 Turbo S from Munich to Italy so it's not like I haven't experienced high speed with a 911 on he autobahn before. Granted that car was on summer tires but it doesn't feel nervous at all even at 280

It's also possible that the alignment is not quite right - this is not unheard of with a new Porsche...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

It's also possible that the alignment is not quite right - this is not unheard of with a new Porsche...

True...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Porker:

Nick, watch 16'48", you'll spot a familiar face. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I9dWAkkAS8

I´m surprised no Pagani lovers (we have many here) comment on this Huayra BC specs and deliver Smiley maybe nobody has the patience to see Shmee videos  Smiley

How much this beast cost?

--

J.Seven

So, my 911R returned to the place it was born today...........

IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG

--

@whoopsy

If you are still at Stuttgart, try to visit this:

http://www.retro-classics.de/

Great show including Porsche Classic.

Blueflame

Yeah I am going there tomorrow before flying out :)

--

Nice cameo on Shmee150s video of a Huayra BC delivery, perfect timing driving in front of the Pagani factory.

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 5.50.05 PM.png

Juicy gossip let loose by my factory tour guide today.

As most people know, the engine factory in Zuffenhausen builds the flat 6 and flat 4. Plus the 3.0L V6 for the Panamera.

They just finished up a new engine shop on the other side of the rail road for the V8s only. That's 4.0L TT V8 goes into the Panamera (as we all know), to Audi (which is expected), Bentley (also expected), and Lamborghiniangel (So I guess we know what engine will go into the Urus)

They are making great progress on the factory of the Mission E. The body plant for it is basically finished, it is behind the  dealership. The main assembly hall will be at the back side of the factory side, and they are building a 700m long 'elevated corridor' to bring the body into the assembly area. Like how they do it with the paint shop and assembly hall right now.

The current Exclusive office and delivery center will be demolished soon to make way for more new stuff.

--

Whoopsy:

As most people know, the engine factory in Zuffenhausen builds the flat 6 and flat 4. Plus the 3.0L V6 for the Panamera.

They just finished up a new engine shop on the other side of the rail road for the V8s only. That's 4.0L TT V8 goes into the Panamera (as we all know), to Audi (which is expected), Bentley (also expected), and Lamborghiniangel (So I guess we know what engine will go into the Urus)

We already knew... Smiley We talked about it in the two Urus threads we have. Interesting enough, this engine could be the basis for the next gen R8 and Huracan engine. Smiley Smiley

They are making great progress on the factory of the Mission E. The body plant for it is basically finished, it is behind the  dealership. The main assembly hall will be at the back side of the factory side, and they are building a 700m long 'elevated corridor' to bring the body into the assembly area. Like how they do it with the paint shop and assembly hall right now.

The current Exclusive office and delivery center will be demolished soon to make way for more new stuff.

Good to hear that. I just hope they keep the Mission E design because it is gorgeous. Unfortunately I think it will fall victim to cost considerations. Smiley

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

We already knew... Smiley We talked about it in the two Urus threads we have. Interesting enough, this engine could be the basis for the next gen R8 and Huracan engine. Smiley Smiley

Good to hear that. I just hope they keep the Mission E design because it is gorgeous. Unfortunately I think it will fall victim to cost considerations. Smiley

Hmm we have a Urus thread?

Was it the one within the Volvo sub thread that was inside the R8 one that was inside the Obama failed thread that got deleted?

Or was it inside the one that talks about bluelines hairy chest?

--

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Hmm we have a Urus thread?

Was it the one within the Volvo sub thread that was inside the R8 one that was inside the Obama failed thread that got deleted?

Or was it inside the one that talks about bluelines hairy chest?

Smiley Smiley Seriously...we have one and it is quite focused on the Urus. Smiley

Obama is to blame that you didn't find it. Smiley (oh boy, I just hope I don't get banned now by my own guys... Smiley).

You should have come visit us in Austria at our ski resort, we met some interesting people here around the mountains...from the US. ODA 9521...apparently they are training here and in the Italian Alps. Smiley Also, very nice pass roads here and not all of them are closed.

--

Austria. Hmm, no. Hell no.

I think Germany should just invade and seize the bit of Austria between Germany and Italy. I know the Austrian won't miss it, it's all mountains anyway.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM