Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

At the same time euro goes from 1.40 to 1.10... Crazy

SciFrog:

At the same time euro goes from 1.40 to 1.10... Crazy

So how were the prices in the US when it was the other way around, for example when one EUR was 1.50 USD? Smiley

Thought so. Smiley

Yes, the Porsche prices have become ridiculous, especially in Europe but as long as people pay them... Smiley

Saw a Macan Turbo lately with a price sticker of 120k EUR. SmileySmileySmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Hey Rc!!! I know this has been questioned but i dont remeber the awnser!!! The 991.2 GTS will stick with natural aspirated or turbocharged???

Regards!!!

--
    This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Hey Rc!!! I know this has been questioned but i dont remeber the awnser!!! The 991.2 GTS will stick with natural aspirated or turbocharged???

Regards!!!

No more n/a 991.2 Carrera models as far as I heard. Sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Dont know if this is the right place to post but anyway...992 Mule Spy Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11wMWGzuF6o

--
    This is the way this post ends, not with a bang but with a wisper, WOSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

You RT guys  are going to have to identify any differences. Looks virtually the same to me. 

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

C'mon, who told you its 992?? Its obviously a 991.2 mule
    --

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Can be anything but I doubt it is a 992 mule. Currently, Porsche seems to test 992 tech under 991 disguise, so no need for the camouflage yet. I suspect this was an "old" 991.2 mule which may have been moved from point A to point B. There is nothing special about the car in the video and I looked carefully.

The YouTube user who posted this probably only wanted to generate clicks. Smiley

--

Hey RC, you talked about the problems retrofitting the MK2 lights on the MK1!!! How about putting the mk2 front bumper or the new steering wheel on the MK1???

Regards.

Woshhhhhhhhhhhh

--

Paulo_Rangel_Melo:

Hey RC, you talked about the problems retrofitting the MK2 lights on the MK1!!! How about putting the mk2 front bumper or the new steering wheel on the MK1???

Regards.

Woshhhhhhhhhhhh

I am working on the steering wheel thing, still have no answer. I would love to get the new PDK pedals but I'm not sure they are compatible and so far, our sources couldn't figure this out.

I couldn't care less about the 991.2 front bumper, never asked, never cared. Too much money for...what? Smiley

--

The most important retrofit from 911.2 is the properly oriented PDK lever in the center console.  Forward for downshift, backward for upshift.  

Maybe not as good sounding as the prior car but much better than expected in this video:

http://youtu.be/khRFKFs4Ebo

Hi 911 lovers,

I am excited to write my very first post after years of lurking around here and into my second Porsche ownership.

I just bought a 991 GTS coupe and got lucky to try the new 991.2 S and the old 991.1 S before making my final decision. In summary these are my observations during the comparison tests and after 1000 km with my 991 GTS:

> Esthetics : very close no winner here it's a matter of taste. I believe the old 991.1 is "classier" and more posh, kind of British touch especially on the rear and profile views. Personally, I think the 991 GTS is the most beautiful car in the current 911 offering. However, the new proposed Vintage colors are really sexy.

> Interior : almost no difference. I like the new smaller steering wheel in the 991.2 unfortunately the plastic feels a bit cheap in the driver hands (reminds me of my Golf R-line steering wheel ;). I think Porsche should have made some effort to make the interior of the new car more high end to justify the price increase and keep up with competition. They will probably do so for the next generation...

> Chassis and handling : (all cars had pdcc) if you really push them in mountain roads the 991.2 S is the winner vs the 991.1 S.  Not a major difference but you get a slightly better steering feel and the car is more "planted" with less body roll. However the 991 GTS with pdcc and sport chassis is even better than the new 991.2 ( I guess rear steering could make a huge difference here but couldn't try it).

> Engine : it depends on how you drive ; if you like low end torque, no hesitation go for the new Porsche 991.2 S it will be much more fun and easier to drive. Yes I did feel a slight turbo lag even if it's one of the best Turbo cars I have ever driven. If you like engines with a "soul", engines that make you work a little harder, engines that you can connect with, again no hesitation keep your old 991.1 or get yourself a 991 GTS before it's too late (Trust me this is a future classic). Above 5000 rpms the old engine is just fantastic and you will never get that with the new 991.2.

> Sound : exhaust and engine sounds in the new 991.2 S with PSE are very good...for a Turbo car. I did enjoy it, but still very civilized and "polite". So if sound is not your most important criteria you will be very happy with the new 991.2S with PSE (a must have). The old 991.1 S with PSE has a fantastic engine and exhaust sounds even below 4000 rpms. I would pick It over the 991.2 S only for the sound. The 991 GTS sound is in another league (in my opinion event better than GT3 sound below 8000 rpms ;). 50% of my decision to buy the GTS is due to its fantastic sound. If you add an aftermarket Xpipe with valves to the GTS you'll be in heaven each time you're above 5000 rpms, pass through a tunnel or downshift (my benchmark is the Ferrari 430 and 458, and I can tell you confidently that it sounds almost as good but with 4 seats;)

> Speed : if that's the most important criteria  for you get a Nissan GTR ;). More seriously the 991.2S is clearly above the 991.1.S. and at par with the 991 GTS.

I can summarize my drivIng tests in one sentence: "the new 991.2S feels faster and the old 991.1S or the GTS feel more special". No right or wrong choice it's just a matter of what you're looking for. Personally my 991 GTS is a keeper especially with its new "bestial" sound as my mechanic would describe it. 

Cheers from Geneva.

Great review kiss Thanks for sharing. Congrats to the 991.1 GTS wink Excellent choice!

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Thank yoy DocMo for sharing your experiences, comparisons like these are the most usefull.

And congrats of that GTS! wink I think I'm getting close to 15,000Km on mine already and I'm absolutely in love with the car, it's the absolute perfect balance between a 911's sportiveness and everyday usability... and that GTS sound, it will put a grin on your face everytime!

...The only bad thing I keep thinking is  that when it comes time to replace it for a new 911 (not any time soon), will the next GTS evolutions ever be like this again?surprise

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Dear Carlos, I read your GTS excellent review the evening before signing the check for my new car ;)

let me ask you one question : why would you ever change your GTS, the last and most powerful NA Carrera engine and probably one of the best sounding Carreras ever made? 

I decided to use mine only for weekends, evenings and holidays to keep mileage below 15000 km a year and keep the car as long as possible. Instead of changing it in 5 years (I usually change my cars every 2 years), I will add sport cats (200 cells), and give It a full detailing treatment and it will look like new. The only car right now that would make me change my mind is the Ferrari 458...But I have the wife's veto ;)

There's the rumour that the next GTS will still be NA.

i've tried to find where I read this rumour but couldn't find it.

DocMo:

Dear Carlos, I read your GTS excellent review the evening before signing the check for my new car ;)

let me ask you one question : why would you ever change your GTS, the last and most powerful NA Carrera engine and probably one of the best sounding Carreras ever made? 

I decided to use mine only for weekends, evenings and holidays to keep mileage below 15000 km a year and keep the car as long as possible. Instead of changing it in 5 years (I usually change my cars every 2 years), I will add sport cats (200 cells), and give It a full detailing treatment and it will look like new. The only car right now that would make me change my mind is the Ferrari 458...But I have the wife's veto ;)

So happy you liked the review Smiley I'm thinking of doing an update long-term review since I'm putting so many miles on it Smiley

Anyway, I will try to keep this car for as long as I can, the reason is I don't see a 911 coming out soon that will plain and simple exite me as this one does without having to go for a GT-class model which do not make a good high mileage daily driver, and would not be an upgrade for me.

In my experience 911's can do a lot of miles without any problems if you treat them right and don't get a lemon, so I will drive it as much as I can and just enjoy it. I bought the car so I don't have a Km limit like when you have a lease and don't mind the depreciation of high milage on resale. In the end its not worth it, life is too short. But I have the same problem, this car I want to keep. I will be forced to change eventually it since I can't have two 911's in the garage, and that will be a great loss since it will be hard to replace thanks to pencil pusher legislators...

I remember in the past decade how the big thing was safety and legislators would make strickter stricter regulations about safety and that had an impact on the sportiveness of the cars making them heavier, and more docile, etc but that was a trade off for safety, so I could live with that and even apprecieated it a lot, but now its for milage and C02 and ecofriendliness treehuging political correctness in sportcars?? that trade off I don't apreciate at all, fix the pollution created by industries in countries like China and then talk about the impact of a fraction of the car population called high-end sportscars of C02 and what not... anyway, enough of the rant, sorry.

--

Gauss:

There's the rumour that the next GTS will still be NA.

i've tried to find where I read this rumour but couldn't find it.

Yeah, that was from an Autocar article with other rumors were the writter doesn't have much credibility and RC already said that no more N/A for 911, save for  GT3, and even that will like end next gen. 

I could only hope that they will keep n/a in the future GTS, even if its just on the GTS versions, but to at least have one model we can get N/A. However, I don't think Porsche will allow it, it doesn't make sense for them to do it. For one, they have to market the 3.0l turbo engine and an advancement, a a normal stage in evloution and development, so that its accepted as best as possible after having to remove N/A's, and if they come out with a 991.2 GTS with an N/A engine that will contradict all of their work. Thats saying that for their GTS they want an N/A engine, meaning that the 3.0l turbo is not good enough, not sporty enough. And even if that would make the 991.2 GTS sell better because of a N/A engine, GTS are not that big, a few thousand only because of the small timeframe they are sold, and for that they damage the image of their 3.0l turbo. 

Some say thats god for resale value of the 991.1GTS, who cares?? personally I could not care less for resale value of the 991.1 GTS, I'm going to keep it for a long time given the situation and put a whole tons on miles on it and enjoy it every second I can, I don't care what its worth after that. What I care for is that when I have to replace it, to be able to replace it with something similar, and if it has the n/a engine I will be the hapiest man and will gladly extra pay for that.

--

DocMo:

Hi 911 lovers,

I am excited to write my very first post after years of lurking around here and into my second Porsche ownership.

I just bought a 991 GTS coupe and got lucky to try the new 991.2 S and the old 991.1 S before making my final decision. In summary these are my observations during the comparison tests and after 1000 km with my 991 GTS:

> Esthetics : very close no winner here it's a matter of taste. I believe the old 991.1 is "classier" and more posh, kind of British touch especially on the rear and profile views. Personally, I think the 991 GTS is the most beautiful car in the current 911 offering. However, the new proposed Vintage colors are really sexy.

> Interior : almost no difference. I like the new smaller steering wheel in the 991.2 unfortunately the plastic feels a bit cheap in the driver hands (reminds me of my Golf R-line steering wheel ;). I think Porsche should have made some effort to make the interior of the new car more high end to justify the price increase and keep up with competition. They will probably do so for the next generation...

> Chassis and handling : (all cars had pdcc) if you really push them in mountain roads the 991.2 S is the winner vs the 991.1 S.  Not a major difference but you get a slightly better steering feel and the car is more "planted" with less body roll. However the 991 GTS with pdcc and sport chassis is even better than the new 991.2 ( I guess rear steering could make a huge difference here but couldn't try it).

> Engine : it depends on how you drive ; if you like low end torque, no hesitation go for the new Porsche 991.2 S it will be much more fun and easier to drive. Yes I did feel a slight turbo lag even if it's one of the best Turbo cars I have ever driven. If you like engines with a "soul", engines that make you work a little harder, engines that you can connect with, again no hesitation keep your old 991.1 or get yourself a 991 GTS before it's too late (Trust me this is a future classic). Above 5000 rpms the old engine is just fantastic and you will never get that with the new 991.2.

> Sound : exhaust and engine sounds in the new 991.2 S with PSE are very good...for a Turbo car. I did enjoy it, but still very civilized and "polite". So if sound is not your most important criteria you will be very happy with the new 991.2S with PSE (a must have). The old 991.1 S with PSE has a fantastic engine and exhaust sounds even below 4000 rpms. I would pick It over the 991.2 S only for the sound. The 991 GTS sound is in another league (in my opinion event better than GT3 sound below 8000 rpms ;). 50% of my decision to buy the GTS is due to its fantastic sound. If you add an aftermarket Xpipe with valves to the GTS you'll be in heaven each time you're above 5000 rpms, pass through a tunnel or downshift (my benchmark is the Ferrari 430 and 458, and I can tell you confidently that it sounds almost as good but with 4 seats;)

> Speed : if that's the most important criteria  for you get a Nissan GTR ;). More seriously the 991.2S is clearly above the 991.1.S. and at par with the 991 GTS.

I can summarize my drivIng tests in one sentence: "the new 991.2S feels faster and the old 991.1S or the GTS feel more special". No right or wrong choice it's just a matter of what you're looking for. Personally my 991 GTS is a keeper especially with its new "bestial" sound as my mechanic would describe it. 

Cheers from Geneva.

Thanks for the review . Nothing beats first hand non professional impressions , and yours gives a good view of the cars . 

I am pretty tempted by a GTS , but I can't have it all Smiley Ideally, I would like it with a 6 speed manual ..... but that ain't going to happen .  I also need to test that 991.2 one of these days to get my own impressions .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Carlos from Spain:
     I'm thinking of doing an update long-term review since I'm putting so many miles on it Smiley

That would be great Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain:
     I'm thinking of doing an update long-term review since I'm putting so many miles on it Smiley

That would be great Smiley

+1 Yes please, Carlos. Such a review would be highly appreciated.

Gnil:

I am pretty tempted by a GTS , but I can't have it all Smiley Ideally, I would like it with a 6 speed manual ..... but that ain't going to happen .  I also need to test that 991.2 one of these days to get my own impressions .

Me too indecision

--

A very short sample of my 991 GTS inside cabin sound (in first and 2nd gear from standstill and shifting at 6500rpms in Sport mode manual). Recorded with an I-phone 5. I will make a better quality video if I get a GoPro.

I'd like to hear your feedback.

http://youtu.be/V7wTd4V1eM0

DocMo:

A very short sample of my 991 GTS inside cabin sound (in first and 2nd gear from standstill and shifting at 6500rpms in Sport mode manual). Recorded with an I-phone 5. I will make a better quality video if I get a GoPro.

I'd like to hear your feedback.

http://youtu.be/V7wTd4V1eM0

Sounds good :) But it's the 991.2 thread Smiley

--

Point taken I'll remove it. My goal is to give potential Porsche 991.2 buyers a reference point with regards to sound. 

Keep it. At least one thing which sounds well in this thread indecision wink

--

bluelines:

Keep it. At least one thing which sounds well in this thread indecision wink

Speaking of the sounds. Today had a chance to hear 991.2 with PSE and I must say it was surprisingly good. Not as good as 991.1 GTS, but much better than I expected.
    --

So funny. How can the range of first hand sound experience be so wide? From "surprisingly good" or better than 991.1S to worse than a Subaru...

Sadly, none of them are "quite as good as the GT4" indecision

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689577 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409236 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234993 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774041 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM