Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Whoopsy:
    WAY:

What colour is that Nick? Stunning. 

Standard basic Basalt Black. But photographers seems to like to put a weird tint on every picture.

Yes  - it looks brown in these pics

the whole pictures are pushed into brown. makes it "warm and retro" :)

Nothing beats Atomics pics IMHO

Enmanuel:

Nothing beats Atomics pics IMHO

+1 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I have breaking news on the 918.

Porsche is taking back 40 918s destined for the China market and is going to re-config them for other markets, likely European. 

The Chinese buyers are forfeiting their deposits and not taking delivery. Not surprised when one considered their current political climate. 

Remember that China had around 100 cars initially, so that's a gigantic chunk of their allocated cars gone.

--

And the game continues... Well that will put a lid on the used car prices for a while...

They are forfeiting their deposits? Why?

JoeRockhead:

So they can save their life smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:
    JoeRockhead:

So they can save their life smiley

They have probably already left the country. Smiley

Right now there is a crackdown on corrupt officials and also with the downturn of the economic situation people don't want to be seen driving a 918 around...

JoeRockhead:

They have probably already left the country. Smiley

I am not sure about that Smiley China is not third-world country so you can escape if they want to ask you few nice questions Smiley

--

If you have money you will have a way. This is not the 1st purge, and not the last, the smart ones survived for a few times now.

--

many have the money tied up in china (real estate, factories etc) and cannot escape...uuuuppps, meant to say 'leave':::)))

Seems Whoopsy knows better than us smiley

--

Milanno:

The smartest trader is the one you have never heard about, the smartest drug lord is the one no one knows. Why attract unwanted attention which gets in the way of making money?

Attention is to feed ego, nothing more. Some people can control their ego better than others. Others get consumed by their uncontrollable ego and be destroyed.

The traditional Chinese culture is to stay in the dark dark background manipulating stuff, but the western culture is more about staying in the foreground and gather attention. The newly rich in China is more influenced by the western culture hence we keep seeing the news about them. They wanted to be known as a 'rich' person and all the attention that comes with it, they enjoyed the moment in the spotlight. The old guards might get a foot note in an obscured article somewhere and that's about it.

--

Whoopsy:
    Milanno:

The smartest trader is the one you have never heard about, the smartest drug lord is the one no one knows. Why attract unwanted attention which gets in the way of making money?

Attention is to feed ego, nothing more. Some people can control their ego better than others. Others get consumed by their uncontrollable ego and be destroyed.

The traditional Chinese culture is to stay in the dark dark background manipulating stuff, but the western culture is more about staying in the foreground and gather attention. The newly rich in China is more influenced by the western culture hence we keep seeing the news about them. They wanted to be known as a 'rich' person and all the attention that comes with it, they enjoyed the moment in the spotlight. The old guards might get a foot note in an obscured article somewhere and that's about it.

even in china there is more transparency now than there used to be. people are getting sick and tired of corruption, cheating and the likes. the government needs to 'sacrifice' some of the corrupt leading class in order to stay in power and many are afraid to be chosen as next 'easter lamb'. the climate there is getting more and more poisoned. nowadays in china you need to be very sure of your connections such that you can let yourself be seen driving around in a porsche 918. even in the very benign circles that i deal with there are quintuple checks and counterchecks now which make the US revenue service look like amateurs. 

peter

So this came on yesterday:

IMG_4650.JPG

My car has 2400km on the clock, it had it's birthday last week on the 4th and I rewarded it with a giant plug of electricity from the car charger. The RS was just too tempting to NOT drive it.

Anyway, with that message, I checked the oil level a second time with the prescribed procedure, it's is STUPID!!!!!!!

First I need to get the oil temp up to 70 degree, then I need to put the car in park, and in neutral, then I pressed the brake and THEN I blip the throttle to get the rpm up past 3000. 1st tried I failed. I stepped on the gas too hard to get it to 3k, so the car won't measure. I had to really 'blip' the throttle to get it to start the measurement. Got it on the second try and it confirmed I am low.

Manual says between the low and high mark it takes slightly over 1 quart, 1.2L to be exact. I figured since I am low and don't want to over fill it, I fill 1/2 the bottle then measure again and see where I am, I think everyone would do the same. 

Well, the car says since I just refilled the oil tank, it WON'T, WIL NOT, REFUSED TO, take a oil measurement for a while. The 'official' explanation is that the whatever amount of oil I added to the tank is below operating temperature, so I will need to warm those tiny amount up first before the car will measure. 

Waited 5 mins before the car says it will measure the oil level. 

SURPRISED. The measurement stays the same. Yellow bar showing. 

I was getting pissed. Shut off the car and opened the fill cap, and poured in the rest of the bottle.

Starts the car again and AGAIN it refused to measure. 

Waited another 5 minutes with the car running to get 'the oil up to operating temperature'. 

Did the measurement again, and failed again as I didn't 'blip' the freaking throttle. Re-do the damn thing twice just to get it to measure. 

Finally it splits out 4 green bars, oil level at max.

I was cursing the whole time.

Just for kicks, I started the engine on the RS at the same time and did a measurement after it was at operating temperature, took both of them around the same time to get there. The RS is down 1 bar from max after 700km on the clock.

After that, I proceed to shut the 918 down, plug the charger back in and jumped into the RS for a drive. My 918 can have it's attitude, so can I. 

I missed the old days when an oil check and refill takes all of 30 seconds with a simple dip stick.

--

But I have to admit, the 918 gets the girls, they ASKED for it, the RS doesn't have that kind of an authority.

IMG_4651.JPG

--

Whoopsy:

I missed the old days when an oil check and refill takes all of 30 seconds with a simple dip stick.

Yep. The M5 oil level procedure is to get the car to operating temp, park on level ground, put the car in neutral and wait 90 seconds for it to do it's electronic measurement. I too, miss the good ol' dipstick.

Whoopsy:

But I have to admit, the 918 gets the girls, they ASKED for it, the RS doesn't have that kind of an authority.

IMG_4651.JPG

That is hot ! 

Beautiful women are always hard work. Your 918 would not be the same without these annoying , time consuming whims !

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Took you longer to write that then doing the oil check though. 😁😂😂😂

Oh and your car is so damn hot. With all the designs and colours of 918 Spyders out there, I'm surprised that a plain black one is one of my all time favourite! You have also inspired me to order a metallic black Boxster Spyder instead of some fancy PTS colour. 

WAY:

Oh and your car is so damn hot. With all the designs and colours of 918 Spyders out there, I'm surprised that a plain black one is one of my all time favourite! You have also inspired me to order a metallic black Boxster Spyder instead of some fancy PTS colour. 

a CLEAN black car, any car, will always looks hot. Black has that mirror like reflections when clean that no other colours can match. 

But are you prepared to spend more time cleaning the car than with your wife?

--

Some journalists have test driven the new Carrera and they say it sounds like a NA flat 6....

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2014 Mercedes A45 AMG - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Whoopsy:
    WAY:

a CLEAN black car, any car, will always looks hot. Black has that mirror like reflections when clean that no other colours can match. 

What makes you think she won't be happy about that? 😂

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

IMG_4651.JPG

That is hot ! 

Beautiful women are always hard work. Your 918 would not be the same without these annoying , time consuming whims !

To say the least !  Awesome shot !  kiss

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

WAY:
    Whoopsy:
    WAY:

Smiley

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Pilot:
    WAY:
    Whoopsy:
    WAY:

Smiley

Man, you guys are killing me Smiley

--

Hahha Nick, great shot. Did you get her number for me? ;-)
    Thanjs for letting us participate in these horrible everyday troubles that come with being a 918 owner mate! Here's to much more trouble! *insert beer drinking icon here*
    --

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Lol, I shall introduce you 2 next time you are in town, she is a good friend of mine. Would you believe she is a Motorcross bike racer?

Talking about beer, that reminds me to mention that yesterday afternoon I was detailing the cars, just finished up the 918 and I used the rear wing as my table, I proceed to knock over my can of Heineken and spilled all over the 918. Had to redo everything. But at least it got a proper alcohol shower now for christening. 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM