Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Macan vs. Jaguar F-Pace

Battles, Part II: now featuring the imminent Jaguar F-Pace.

We all know [and some of us love] the Macan and how solid of a product it is, but as someone with an affinity for the Jaguar brand [an unending love affair of and with the E-Type will do that to you], I've had a close eye on the forthcoming F-Pace SUV ever since Jaguar showed their C-X17 concept off in Frankfurt in 2013. Let's face it, when Jaguar shows a concept, it's indirectly ready for production and needs a few tiny tweaks [hello F-Tpye/C-X16].

As you may know, the F-Pace is being pitched as a direct competitor to the Macan. Jaguar's press blasts have liberally used terms like "driving engagement", "feel" and "performance" to really get their point across and seeing that they'll be breaking into a market populated with Macans, X3s and Q5s, they've got their work cut out for them especially since this is their first crack at it.

In my opinion, signs are looking good for the F-Pace. It's based on a lightweight new platform [iQAl aluminum intensive architecture with double wishbones and integral link suspensions as well as confirmation that F-Type-tested innovations will be going into the chassis] used by the new XE/XF in the same way the Macan is based on the MLB car platform, will offer a range of new engines [Ingenium diesels from the get go, all-new petrols due in 2016], the lovely supercharged V6 is confirmed and brand directors have already said that the JLR V8 can fit into the car's nose and is definitely coming in R/SVR trim soon. I've scrutinized every spy shot and can tell the car will have the option of full-LED headlights, JLR's usual spate of driver technologies like a head-up display and collision avoidance systems as well as an 8-inch InControl Touch interface [possibly even the 10.2 InControl Touch Pro... which might blow the competition away. Tested it in the new XF, lovely system] and 12.3-inch TFT instrument cluster... You get the idea. Top it off with what I think is an incredibly sharp design inspired by the gorgeous F-Type and it looks like Jaguar might be onto a winner.

I hate to say it, but I think the Macan might be stuffed. Old technologies [soon-to-be antiquated touchscreen when the 991.2/981.2/next Panamera launch within the next 12-18 months], not enough innovations [no LED headlights yet, no PDCC], a limited range [where the Hell are the Macan GTS and Turbo S models?] a dull soundtrack [come on guys... turbocharging doesn't have to be a death sentence for engine noise and even with the PSE the Macan sounds very drone-y] and not enough practicality in an overweight-for-its-size package? The Porsche name may have cachet and draw but if Porsche wants to remain on top of the white-hot compact SUV pile, they need to step their game up pronto.

Thoughts?

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Re: Porsche Macan vs. Jaguar F-Pace

I always hoped the F-Pace should be pitched against the Cayenne, as it is based on the Range Rover Sport afaik? I still have a problem to call those micro SUVs - "SUV". A SUV needs in my eyes to be sturdy, high seat position, lots of space, etc. Non of these attributes I can find in those cars. This are compact cars on a higher wheelbase. Impressive enough to charge for a higher wheelbased Audi A3 almost tripple the price or if you are evel you would not call it A3 you would call it VW Golf!

Impressive that the pure numbers are not that far apart from each other. I never would have thought that a Range Rover Sport is almost equal to the Macan dimensions - the Macan has the appearance of a compact car to me. The Macan has much less space inside and the complete drive feel and seat position is more like a street car than a SUV.

Here I put the numbers to compare:

• Range Rover Sport dimensions: Length: 4,855mm, width 1,939mm, height 1,705mm
    • Range Rover Sport dimensions: Length: 4,850mm, width 2,073mm, height 1,780mm
    • Jaguar C-X17 dimensions: Length: 4,718mm, width 1,959mm, height 1,649mm
    • Macan dimensions:  Lenght: 4,681mm, width 1.923mm, height 1.624mm
    • Range Rover Evoque dimensions: 4,355mm, width 1,965mm, height 1,635mm

The Cayenne is meant to be eye-to-eye with the RRS in the mid-size category while the Macan is an Evoque competitor in the compact SUV segment. The Evoque is indeed a little thing but I think Jaguar chose to go after the lucrative compact market because of how well it's currently doing... And also, don't forget that Europe has a preference for cars in smaller categories for ease of maneuverability.

Also, the F-Pace isn't based on the RRS or any Land Rover platform but on Jaguar's iQAl platform used on the XE and XF. It's flexible, scalable and will underpin almost all Jaguar products including the next XJ and the [rumored] future SUV family. I believe only the F-Type will use a bespoke platform.

rulesdontapply

--

Jaguar has a history of making aluminium cars heavy ..

sfo:

Jaguar has a history of making aluminium cars heavy ..

True - the F-Type is surprisingly porky for an aluminum-based car but the XE - which is roughly 75 percent aluminum and 25 percent steel - uses steel in key bits like the doors and trunk lid to even out weight distribution.

While I don't think the F-Pace will be a featherweight by any stretch, I hope it'll undercut the Macan and other competitors by a fair margin to give it an edge. We shall see - an official reveal is rumored between September 4 [Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons' 114th birthday celebrations] and the start of the show. Getting tired of all this dead time; just unveil all your damn cars already!

rulesdontapply

--

I think this F-Type may be very promising. 

The right engine and why not? I'm sick of the X5s, MLs and Cayennes of the world - they all look the same. Range Rover is a bit more diverse, but if there is a Jaguar - indeed, it might have a chance to be a successor of our SRT.

The Macan is much lighter than a Cayenne or even a Panamera... I doubt the Jaguar will be much lighter...

Lars997:

I think this F-Type may be very promising. 

The right engine and why not? I'm sick of the X5s, MLs and Cayennes of the world - they all look the same. Range Rover is a bit more diverse, but if there is a Jaguar - indeed, it might have a chance to be a successor of our SRT.

I agree, Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes SUV´s are all so boring nowadays to look at that a model from Jaguar, Maserati or A.Martin will pop my interest much more even if they are technical behind those mass productions brands.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

Car design in general from the mainstream premium brands are mostly all dull or over fussy these days.

Lars997:

This are compact cars on a higher wheelbase. Impressive enough to charge for a higher wheelbased Audi A3 almost tripple the price or if you are evel you would not call it A3 you would call it VW Golf!

What kind of similarity do you see between VW Golf / Audi A3 and the Macan? Those are two entirely different platforms, one with transversal, one with longitudinal engine layout.

The F-Pace is a very interesting product. Also curious how close the production model will be to the concept.

Jag really needs to upgrade their flimsy plastic shift paddles, bus sized nonconcentrically mounted steering wheels and their naff looking seat cover designs. They have very good engineers but all of the primary interior touch points are below par.

And Porsche has stepped up their game in that department. My Macan has much nicer interior than the 09 CTTS...

SciFrog:

And Porsche has stepped up their game in that department. My Macan has much nicer interior than the 09 CTTS...

I agree on this 100 Million times. I think Porsche interior are superior - but you have to pay for the full leather upgrade. Only the Brits might be able to come close, Bentley, Rolls, etc. Jag is not really Brit anymore in this discipline - and again, those Luxury cars from the Island are tagged on a different price!

Lars997:
    SciFrog:

I agree on this 100 Million times. I think Porsche interior are superior - but you have to pay for the full leather upgrade. Only the Brits might be able to come close, Bentley, Rolls, etc. Jag is not really Brit anymore in this discipline - and again, those Luxury cars from the Island are tagged on a different price!

I've always loved Porsche's interiors for their logical layouts, ease of use, excellent material quality and their near faultless fit and finish. Granted, both of my cars have the full leather interiors so the spaces are much richer and visually/tangibly pleasing.

Jaguar has the cheeky tendency to craft a clean interior but use downmarket materials in places; the F-Type, for example, has some frankly horrid plastics where the cupholders are which are unusually scratchy and hard. I've also never been a fan of grained leather - I find it to look cheap and vinyl-like and always enjoyed the supple smoothness of the smooth-finish kind. I hope they step their game up in the F-Pace and use higher-quality materials in the interior [and please - no nets for the seatback storage, I find that a hilariously cheap cop-out in a premium car. I'm looking at you, Range Rover Sport.]

rulesdontapply

--

Similar launch color to the Macan's sapphire blue - Jag's really going after the tiger of Stuttgart.

That being said, Jaguar just dropped the first official photo of the undisguised profile and it is STUNNING. The Macan might be screwed.

rulesdontapply

--

Certainly a better looking car in this profile than the Porsche - and for most folks, that might just be the clincher! (note the success of the pretty Evoke)

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Jaguar build quality not any where near Porsche

Well, given after 7 attempts in fixing a window, I'd suggest Porsche build quality isn't what it used to be!

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

build quality better on Macan as it's Audi based !

sfo:

Jaguar build quality not any where near Porsche

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Had an 911 which was 11 times within 5 months back at workshop to do some rework... finally they exchanged the car.

My friend had last year a Cayenne S..... it was more at the dealer than in his own garage - finally they took the car back and returned his money. Today he is driving a Range Rover.

Today all the manufacturers are pretty much on one level. Quality Control systems are on a industry standard and results are very comparable - even if you take a German, Korean or US car. 

Talking about materials used - yes, that might be a huge difference, but normally you get what you pay for. And if you take a standard equipped Porsche, materials are ok, but nothing special. You have to opt for the all leather package to make it feel and look pretty!

i guess it also depends on what engines jag will put in the f-pace

so far it seems only smaller engines

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

i guess it also depends on what engines jag will put in the f-pace

so far it seems only smaller engines

It's launching with JLR's new range of Ingenium diesels, so expect two four-cylinder engines displacing two liters with 163 and 180 horsepower. Unless they bump the power figures up to match the F-Pace's sporting intent, the 180hp version probably won't hustle the car to 100 km/h in less than 7.5 seconds with the 163 horsepower version poking around 8 seconds.

As for the petrols, I hope the company uses the F-Pace to launch their new Ingenium four-cylinder petrols. JLR still uses the old Ford EcoBoost block for the Evoque, Discovery Sport, XE, XF and XJ and will continue to do so until the Ingenium petrols come online in 2016. Seeing as 2016 is the on-sale date for the F-Pace, this could be their chance to start their range with new engines for the base models.

Other than that, the range will launch with an F-Pace S which will be powered by the lovely supercharged V6 found in the F-Type/XF/XJ/Range Rover/Range Rover Sport. The XJ and XE S use this engine with an output of 340hp, which is the entry-level engine in the F-Type... But the XF S uses the 380hp version of it, also found on the F-Type S. Given the added bulk of the F-Pace, I hope they use the 380hp version to give the car that extra bit of oomph and to really stick it to the Macan S.

I remember reading an interview a few months ago where the F-Pace's development team confirmed that the JLR 5.0-liter V8 is capable of fitting in the car's engine bay and it WILL be coming further along the development cycle as an F-Pace R or F-Pace SVR. Exciting times!

Jag has a launch scheduled for 19:15 GMT at the IAA in Frankfurt on September 15th with a full unveiling with specifications and pricing due the following morning around 10/10:30 GMT.

rulesdontapply

--

Hmm, I keep seeing the name as F-Face instead of F-Pace. 

The car keep asking me to call it Fxxk Face!

--

rulesdontapply:

Similar launch color to the Macan's sapphire blue - Jag's really going after the tiger of Stuttgart.

That being said, Jaguar just dropped the first official photo of the undisguised profile and it is STUNNING. The Macan might be screwed.

rulesdontapply

That looks very good.

Official images and info leaked ahead of the 7:15 PM GMT launch tonight.

Quick stats: 80 percent aluminum construction, fifty percent stiffer up front than the Macan and 30 percent stiffer at the rear, very advanced chassis and torque vectoring technology, rear seats are 125 mm wider than on a Q5 and are electrically reclinable, 12.3-inch instrument cluster is on offer in addition to an eight-inch infotainment screen as standard with the 10.2-inch screen being optional, LED headlights optional and an engine range consisting of a 2.0-liter four cylinder Ingenium diesel pushing out 180hp, a 3.0-liter V6 diesel with 300hp and 700 Nm of torque and two 3.0-liter supercharged petrol V6 engines with 340hp in the base version and 380hp for the S. 0-60 on the S is 5.1 seconds, beating the Macan S by 0.1 seconds.

More info here:  http://auto.ndtv.com/news/jaguar-f-pace-debuts-at-frankfurt-1217540. Official details tonight and tomorrow.

Looks like the Macan better be reaching for the lube.

rulesdontapply

--

How so? Madan turbo 0-60 4.4s vs 5.1...

Bigger screen size? It's nice but I only use my iPhone anyway for music and navigation.

Stiffer and bigger, great, but how about the weight?

No PDK right? And more importantly how does it drive?

Same way the AMG GT or Jag type F are called 911 killers, it just doesn't happen. I'll still take the Macan for now. Thank you.

Saw real pics from presentation and downloaded German brochure.

It will sell nicely on domestic UK market. It will be epic failure on continental EU.

Need 4 cyl diesel? I would get GLC250d or X4 2.0d.

Need 6 cyl diesel? Here 300ps/700Nm F-Pace could be an interesting offer. Still, rather X4 3.5d for me.

Need 6 cyl petrol? Macan S or Turbo any time over F-Pace.

Btw, my wife comment (she is big SUV fan) after she saw F-Pace pics tonight were:"Is this new Volvo XC60?"SmileySmiley 

KresoF1:

Btw, my wife comment (she is big SUV fan) after she saw F-Pace pics tonight were:"Is this new Volvo XC60?"SmileySmiley 

Hah! That was my thought too! Smiley The profile is sooo Volvo XC.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Interior is boring as hell, as in every recent Jaguar. Shame.

spudgun:

Interior is boring as hell, as in every recent Jaguar. Shame.

agree 200% ! and it's a shame cause the exterior is quite nice. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM