Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

SciFrog:

A few more incidents like this then counts the days until Porsche forfeits warranty for tracked cars... It is too much of a hassle for them.

Let's hope Porsche are not that stupid. They might as well stop building GT cars altogether then and exit all motorsport activities.

I rather think a few more related incidents like this could cause heads to roll and that the R&D and QA procedures are overlooked to ensure the incidents are not repeated.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

spudgun:

You really should, it is a fantastic track kiss Spa is the best but BB comes close.

I saw you lap GoHard, very nice GT4. I would have said hi if I knew you were a RT member...

Thanks, spudgun. Yep, a pity we did not realize we are both RT members... What car did you drive yesterday?

My ranking for my personal favorite tracks: 1. Nordschleife, 2. Spa, 3. Bilster Berg, 4. Assen, 5. Zandvoort

--

Cayman GT4 / Awaiting 991 GT3 RS / Gone: 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

I drove my 997.2 4S, aka The Not So Widow Maker. indecision

Really great to read all the driving impressions and comparison points to your other cars. Please continue to entertain us

SciFrog:

A few more incidents like this then counts the days until Porsche forfeits warranty for tracked cars... It is too much of a hassle for them.

Then they could better stop selling sports cars. If they don't get quality right (including warranty) most former Porsche buyers will buy somewhere else Smiley

GoHardGT3RS:

I achieved the same lap time I had with my 997 GT3 MK2 (3.8) two years ago. The GT4 is the perfect car for this twisty and hilly track.

So, which one do you enjoy driving the most ? 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Then they could better stop selling sports cars. If they don't get quality right (including warranty) most former Porsche buyers will buy somewhere else Smiley

buy from where?

many manufacturers exclude track use from warranty coverage, don't they?

sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

i'd rather say a few more incidents like this and there will be a total recall of the GT3 RS, just like for the GT3.
    peter

pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

i'd rather say a few more incidents like this and there will be a total recall of the GT3 RS, just like for the GT3.
    peter

What do you know about this incident to suggest that a total recall is called for?    Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

peter

What do you know about this incident to suggest that a total recall is called for?    Smiley

i said 'a few more .....' . btw, people report new engine damage on some GT3s in the PFF forum, even after replacement.

peter

pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

peter

i said 'a few more .....' . btw, people report new engine damage on some GT3s in the PFF forum, even after replacement.

peter

OK. I'll put it another way: What do you know about this incident to suggest that a few more like it would suggest that a total recall is called for?  

--

fritz

fritz:
    pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

peter

peter

OK. I'll put it another way: What do you know about this incident to suggest that a few more like it would suggest that a total recall is called for?  

if the car was not properly run in - it seems that people speculate about this as the culprit - it could influence longevity but would not cause disaster like this in an almost new car. 

I think that some people are over exaggerating situation with UV car. 

Btw, I heard also about some new engine related problems with 991 GT3. But, I amnot convinced at all that REAL problem really exist. 

Few days ago I saw 991 GT3 with german plates in Slovenia. Owner started that car from cold and rev the shit out of it. Good recept for short engine life. Do it every day with 458 Speciale and see what will happened...

I am still wondering why are some sportscar owners so stupid after all?

KresoF1:

Btw, I heard also about some new engine related problems with 991 GT3. But, I amnot convinced at all that REAL problem really exist. 

Few days ago I saw 991 GT3 with german plates in Slovenia. Owner started that car from cold and rev the shit out of it. Good recept for short engine life. Do it every day with 458 Speciale and see what will happened...

that is a longevity argument but does not explain why an almost new car fails like that one.

pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

that is a longevity argument but does not explain why an almost new car fails like that one.

That UV had how many km's on clock? Engine failure happened where? 

Tell me one other thing who is so clever to track drive brand new sportscar with below 500 km's on clock?

pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

peter

peter

if the car was not properly run in - it seems that people speculate about this as the culprit - it could influence longevity but would not cause disaster like this in an almost new car. 

I agree. I don't think for one moment that the lack of a proper break-in is the cause of two alleged faults in this car. 

After having seen the video initially shown on YouTube and read the accompanying text written by the guy who posted it (who was not the car's owner), I found the whole story to be a little odd, or "fishy" as I wrote above.

The video has been pulled in the meantime, presumably at the request of the car's owner, so I haven't read any more information on the background to the story. 

--

fritz

To put things in perspective:

• There are on average 17 car fires per hour in the US (>150'000 per year)
    • 2/3 of these were due to electrical or mechanical failures
    • Only 4% were due to highway collisions or overturns

(Source:  http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/vehicles)

One RS burns and everyone goes bananas smiley

--

bluelines:

To put things in perspective:

• There are on average 17 car fires per hour in the US (>150'000 per year)
    • 2/3 of these were due to electrical or mechanical failures
    • Only 4% were due to highway collisions or overturns

(Source:  http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/vehicles)

One RS burns and everyone goes bananas smiley

There's nothing wrong with taking the matter seriously even if "just one" car burns.
    But taking something seriously involves knowing some facts about the background to a situation, instead of jumping to unfounded conclusions as a knee-jerk reaction. 

--

fritz

pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

It could simply be a case of picking up rubber residue from the track which got caught on the hot exhaust and lit up. Shit happens all the time. Freak accidents too. The last Concorde flight springs to mind.

The wheel-arch adhesive fires in the 458 were a different story. Not freak accidents. Which is why Ferrari decided to recall all 1'248 cars after ten 458s burnt. I am pretty sure Porsche will take action too, if needed.

--

KresoF1:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Tell me one other thing who is so clever to track drive brand new sportscar with below 500 km's on clock?

Absolutely agree 100% ,,,, and starting from cold revving the bollocks off it is a joke too. You at least do your best, well, you should be.

Common sense you would have thought should come in to play. Sorry guys, but rushing off to the ring in a brand new RS is a bit immature in my book, surely it can wait a bit..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

fritz:
    pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    fritz:
    pmarkow:
    sfo:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

buy from where?

peter

peter

I agree. I don't think for one moment that the lack of a proper break-in is the cause of two alleged faults in this car. 

After having seen the video initially shown on YouTube and read the accompanying text written by the guy who posted it (who was not the car's owner), I found the whole story to be a little odd, or "fishy" as I wrote above.

The video has been pulled in the meantime, presumably at the request of the car's owner, so I haven't read any more information on the background to the story. 

Maybe the owner of this car is a heavy smoker Smiley

GoHardGT3RS:

I achieved the same lap time I had with my 997 GT3 MK2 (3.8) two years ago. The GT4 is the perfect car for this twisty and hilly track.

So, which one do you enjoy driving the most ?

Both in different ways!

The GT4 feels like a big go-kart with its middle-engine balance, you can throw it into the nice S turns of Bilster Berg and the balance is very neutral. The gearbox is far better on the GT4, short and a precise shifts, probably the best manual in the world. The exhaust noise is also better on the GT4!

The GT3 had 20 km/H more at the end of the long straight (230 vs. 210 for the GT4), typical 911 balance where you need to stay on the brakes on the turn-in to get the car turning

All in all, the GT4 is the best fun for the price IMO.

--

Cayman GT4 / Awaiting 991 GT3 RS / Gone: 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

I have friends that took delivery of a sportscar, drove a couple of days non-stop for the right break in procedure and joined a track day the next weekend. Don't assume that a new delivered car on the track isn't broken in like it should.

About the UV car: too little info to really conclude anything intelligent. Shit happens and will happen again.

I posted this elsewhere. This was the white car damaged at the track two weeks ago. If you look closely at the car is also shows evidence of fire below the LHS rear tail light. It seems coincidental? 

I understand there is also a LO car that has been affected the same way at the track. That is three cars. Small sample.

My thoughts are that this is an issue with some internal rubbing of the rear tyre. A number of owners have already stated that there is already rubbing here on small compressions. The factory themselves conceed that the liners are now a "wear item". I wonder if repeated compressions at the track have caused the tyre to rub through an oil line and create a fire. If so this should be easily remedied.

I do not believe this has anything to do with the engine internals. They have already reduced the redline to 8600 (auto), 8800 (manual) on this car and beefed up the crankshaft etc. The engine has the benefit of the GT3 engine learning. Those were run to their death during the stop sale for testing. I have ZERO doubts that the GT3RS engine is not race ready strong. I think what we are looking at here is some issue with squeezing those tyres so tight under those rear arches...

Capture.PNG

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 991 GT3, 1994 993C2 6spd RS spec, 2016 Cayman GT4 (on order)

Here is a close up shot of the rear tires of my 918 and RS, the Cup2s put a lot more rubber on the road

_DSC0285.JPG

_DSC0283.JPG

--

_DSC0278.JPG

_DSC0280.JPG
    --

Oh, here are some of atomic80's pics:

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0174-editedorange.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

and a bonus one

1440566156366_DSC8711.jpg

--

I really should put this in the 918 thread but oh well

1440566338855image.jpg

--

The RS really doesn't have a bad angle to look at:

1440567356912image.jpg

--

Magnificent!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM