Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

Drove another 100km in the afternoon. Yes, without a doubt this is a car I do not want to get out of. 

Well done Porsche, you guys out did your 918.

Either I am much more in tune with the rear engine layout of a 911, or I am just more brave in a 250k car instead of a 2mil car, but I am taking corners faster in the RS than the 918. Shit, I was throwing the RS into corners at speed I don't dare doing in the 918, and I have been driving  the roads I drove for 20 years now. 

For you guys waiting for the RS, it is ONE HELL OF A CAR!!! The best 911 yet, no doubt. 

Seriously, the RS is night and day above the Speciale even with a lot less HP, and I LIKED the Speciale. 

--

Amazing feedback Whoopsy.

Congrats on your new addition. Looks like you have a hell of a garage. Should be getting my RS in November. Any idea how it compares to the RS4.0 if you had/have one by any chance?

My RS4.0 has been turned into a garage queen and I so look forward to be able to drive again :)

Patrick

I never had a 997 4.0, only had a brief drive before.

The 991 RS is way above the old 4.0 in capability. Only thing the 4.0 has going is the manual transmission if you are into that sort of things. Some here are old school and like rowing their own gears and gets enjoyments out of it, not me. I prefer to keep my hands and 9 and 3 and focus on speed and the line I take. The 991 RS is seriously fast that one wants to keep both hands on the wheel for control.

--

Whoopsy:

For you guys waiting for the RS, it is ONE HELL OF A CAR!!! The best 911 yet, no doubt. 

Seriously, the RS is night and day above the Speciale even with a lot less HP, and I LIKED the Speciale. 

Now I am even more impatient !!! I CAN'T WAIT !!!!!!

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

:-(

Second engine caught fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8-x9Jxh-4

Whoopsy:

i have not driven the RS yet but i believe you and others who say that it is a great drive, on road and track. but there were quite a few who told me that already the GT3 (non-RS) matches the speciale. i could neither confirm this from my own driving experience nor from independent tests (all which had the speciale in front of the GT3) in lap time and all other parametes. unless there are data supporting the claim i have my doubts about the RS matching the speciale. there was one test featuring lap times for both cars on a circuit which i do not remember (posted somewhere on this forum) but the speciale was significantly faster than the RS. or do you have supporting evidence?

peter

Peter, I think Whoopsy means the experience, not so much hard performance figures...
    --

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    Peter, I think Whoopsy means the experience, not so much hard performance figures...

....and that is highly subjective::::)))) i am also not much interested in numbers and lap times but would like to know more about the GT3 RS driving feeling, say compared to the GT3 and the speciale. grip? dry and wet roads? twisties? highways?

peter

It is subjective. To me the RS drives like any other 911, but has better turn in, it just bites and turn. Brake, turn-in, right back on the gas to load up the rear and power out, highly 'chunk-able'. It doesn't mind being manhandled, no need to be gentle with it. I call it the punching bag, it will silently absorb everything I throw at it without protest.

Can't do that with my Speciale, the Ferrari prefer gentle movements, smoothness. it doesn't like being throw around. It will tell me if I am out of line by stepping the tail out a bit on turn-ins. Mid engine cars. They like to rotate. Very enjoyable too with it flowing from one corner to the next, very rewarding also to catch the little tail waggles. 

In the end, 2 different layout demands 2 different driving styles. 

Actually, I had to adapt to 3 different driving style between my cars. I am used to 911s, so that's my standard. In the Speciale, 12C, and in a way the 918, I am sitting closer to the front wheels than in a 911, so from my eyes perspective, I need to remind myself to turn-in a little bit later than 'normal' in order to have the front wheels where I want, in my F12 it's the opposite, I am sitting so far behind the front wheels that I need to remind myself to turn-in a lot earlier than I normally do in a 911.

--

Whoopsy:

Drove another 100km in the afternoon. Yes, without a doubt this is a car I do not want to get out of. 

Either I am much more in tune with the rear engine layout of a 911, or I am just more brave in a 250k car instead of a 2mil car, but I am taking corners faster in the RS than the 918. Shit, I was throwing the RS into corners at speed I don't dare doing in the 918, and I have been driving  the roads I drove for 20 years now. 

I can not make comparison with other "current" cars,but this car let you whant to drive it.

I make 1100kms in three days and half,and i don't whant to stop it.Today and tomorrow it will rains,and i took a pause,but from tuesday in this last week of "vacation" i will put again kms on it,also it burns a few fuel(i'm again under 7000rpm).

As i find an empty twisty road and i push down the throttle i think how i'm lucky to have this car...really,thanks Porsche!

About the engines failure....well,maybe i'm wrong,but i think the run-in is important on a 9000rpm engine,yes sometimes on the back i hear strange sounds,but is a racecar...or at least it seemsSmiley

yesterday lake Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Whoopsy:

It is subjective. To me the RS drives like any other 911, but has better turn in, it just bites and turn. Brake, turn-in, right back on the gas to load up the rear and power out, highly 'chunk-able'. It doesn't mind being manhandled, no need to be gentle with it. I call it the punching bag, it will silently absorb everything I throw at it without protest.

Can't do that with my Speciale, the Ferrari prefer gentle movements, smoothness. it doesn't like being throw around. It will tell me if I am out of line by stepping the tail out a bit on turn-ins. Mid engine cars. They like to rotate. Very enjoyable too with it flowing from one corner to the next, very rewarding also to catch the little tail waggles. 

In the end, 2 different layout demands 2 different driving styles. 

Actually, I had to adapt to 3 different driving style between my cars. I am used to 911s, so that's my standard. In the Speciale, 12C, and in a way the 918, I am sitting closer to the front wheels than in a 911, so from my eyes perspective, I need to remind myself to turn-in a little bit later than 'normal' in order to have the front wheels where I want, in my F12 it's the opposite, I am sitting so far behind the front wheels that I need to remind myself to turn-in a lot earlier than I normally do in a 911.

this is a very good description of how engine layout impacts driving styles.

enjoy the car,

peter

ps: to be honest, i'd get an RS now in a heartbeat if the let me have one....but it seems they don't:::((((

Super Darius:
    Whoopsy:

I can not make comparison with other "current" cars,but this car let you whant to drive it.

I make 1100kms in three days and half,and i don't whant to stop it.Today and tomorrow it will rains,and i took a pause,but from tuesday in this last week of "vacation" i will put again kms on it,also it burns a few fuel(i'm again under 7000rpm).

As i find an empty twisty road and i push down the throttle i think how i'm lucky to have this car...really,thanks Porsche!

About the engines failure....well,maybe i'm wrong,but i think the run-in is important on a 9000rpm engine,yes sometimes on the back i hear strange sounds,but is a racecar...or at least it seemsSmiley

yesterday lake Smiley

pity you did not drive it in the rain, i'd like to know how it does...

peter

pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    Whoopsy:

yesterday lake Smiley

peter

Semislicks + rain + whant to drive Fast = *¥!%#^*Smiley

Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:
    pmarkow:
    Super Darius:
    Whoopsy:

yesterday lake Smiley

peter

Smiley

:::))))

p

Super Darius:

Smiley

I have Dunlops instead of Cup2s, a little bit better in the rain Smiley

--

About the only complaint about the RS right now is the horrible dash reflection mail

IMG_4562.JPG

--

I hear this is a big complaint in all 981 and 991 that was not an issue in the previous generation - maybe some sort of blackout mat on the dash would help?  I spent money on full leather on my GT4 - shame to cover it up to be able to see properly...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Whoopsy:

About the only complaint about the RS right now is the horrible dash reflection mail

IMG_4562.JPG

In our part of the world we use extensively tinted films such as 3M or V-kool and this seems to help with the reflection problems. Obviously we use them mainly for heat reduction purpose.

--

I have learned through experience that having controllable hp is far more fun than having uncontrollable hp. I have not driven the Speciale but I have had considerable driving time in the CGT which has "only" 612 hp. Miss use the throttle and your in the weeds. Granted it does not have any nanny aids but even in street driving the slightest misstep and it could mean death (think Paul Walker).

Porsche provides their GT3 cars with enough HP to truly enjoy the car without fear that the slightest mistake could lead to lost control or worse a collision. I love the 918 but having close to 900hp (55%) more power than the RS and weighing slightly more screams to me uncontrollable hp. I would take the car with less but more than adequate HP which I can control. That is what fun is all about in a high performance sports car.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Nick, In over 10 yrs I have covered more than 45,000 km in my cgt and I've found it to be one of the safest supercars ever.. The main issue with the cgt is not the power nor the  handling but rather the extremely sensitive steering at very high speed. That's in my opinion (besides being in the hands of inexperienced drivers) is the main cause of most crashes that occurred on this particular car.

--

Grant:

I hear this is a big complaint in all 981 and 991 that was not an issue in the previous generation - maybe some sort of blackout mat on the dash would help?  I spent money on full leather on my GT4 - shame to cover it up to be able to see properly...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant, I have full leather and I don't have the problem with the glare.

BTW, good move on the full leather dash. It looks so much better.kiss

Ha, I agree regarding the sensitive steering wheel at speed. Nevertheless, a professional was driving the CGT on the street when he crashed killing both he and Paul Walker. Speed was estimated at around 100 mph and he lost control of the car.

Would you want or need more hp in your CGT?

--

nberry:
    Grant, I have full leather and I don't have the problem with the glare.

Good!  Whoopsy - did you spec full leather?

--

As you can see from the picture, nope haha. That option wasn't on the official option list. Didn't do the Exclusive option either

EDIT: I stand corrected. Just checked, my dash is all leather, well except the air vents and the big Sports Chrono piece which are plastic.

--

A few GT3 RS now on eBay in the U.S.  $295k and $325k. That's a nice profit!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

Actually, PCNA and us 918 owners are at war right now.

They just sent out a letter saying we are not suppose to re-sale the GT3RS so quickly, accusing us of abusing the 'privilege'. But they should have know we as a group are serial car buyers, most of them don't keep a car for more than a few months. And we collectively paid Porsche over a billion in revenue on their 918 program.

We believed PCA made a big noise to PCNA about their members not getting GT3RS allocations while some 918 owners are already selling theirs at a handsome profit.

We made a equally big noise back to them about dealers charging gigantic 'market adjustments' on the GT3RS and even the GT4, it's not us that's being unfair to other customers, it's their dealer network that's gouging people, playing favourites to their allocations. Champion in Florida is the biggest offender. They better clean up their own house first before accusing us. Stop letting dealers selling new cars above MSRP.

The dealers are also crying foul against the 918 owners, saying most of their allocations are being tied up by us. Seriously, instead of charging 30k-50k over each for 10 allocations to their 'loyal' customers, now they have to sell 6 at MSRP to 918 owners and can only overcharge people with 4 allocations. 

in Canada we have no such problem, dealers are forbidden to sell new cars above MSRP.

--

Did 918 owners promise, formally or informally, not to flip cars obtained through the VIP program?  There was a rumor about having to hold the car for six months, but I was never able to confirm.  Being a serial car buyer is one thing, but there are 918 owners taking cars with no intention of ever driving the car.  In fact, I know of several GT4s that were "sold" to the new owner before the 918 owner even took delivery.  If 918 owners made no such promise, then Porsche should not have been so overzealous in offering this perk to move 918s.  

Regarding Champion,  I feel bad for people who tried to get a GT4 from them...getting on a "list" there is completely and totally meaningless.

Whoopsy:

Actually, PCNA and us 918 owners are at war right now.

They just sent out a letter saying we are not suppose to re-sale the GT3RS so quickly, accusing us of abusing the 'privilege'. But they should have know we as a group are serial car buyers, most of them don't keep a car for more than a few months. And we collectively paid Porsche over a billion in revenue on their 918 program.

We believed PCA made a big noise to PCNA about their members not getting GT3RS allocations while some 918 owners are already selling theirs at a handsome profit.

We made a equally big noise back to them about dealers charging gigantic 'market adjustments' on the GT3RS and even the GT4, it's not us that's being unfair to other customers, it's their dealer network that's gouging people, playing favourites to their allocations. Champion in Florida is the biggest offender. They better clean up their own house first before accusing us. Stop letting dealers selling new cars above MSRP.

The dealers are also crying foul against the 918 owners, saying most of their allocations are being tied up by us. Seriously, instead of charging 30k-50k over each for 10 allocations to their 'loyal' customers, now they have to sell 6 at MSRP to 918 owners and can only overcharge people with 4 allocations. 

in Canada we have no such problem, dealers are forbidden to sell new cars above MSRP.

Nick, Champion in Florida is like God to PCNA and PCA. I believe their biggest dealer.Smiley

--

vantagesc:

Did 918 owners promise, formally or informally, not to flip cars obtained through the VIP program?  There was a rumor about having to hold the car for six months, but I was never able to confirm.  Being a serial car buyer is one thing, but there are 918 owners taking cars with no intention of ever driving the car.  In fact, I know of several GT4s that were "sold" to the new owner before the 918 owner even took delivery.  If 918 owners made no such promise, then Porsche should not have been so overzealous in offering this perk to move 918s.  

Regarding Champion,  I feel bad for people who tried to get a GT4 from them...getting on a "list" there is completely and totally meaningless.

The original agreement never said anything about subsequent car orders. It only specified that the 918 needs to be kept for at least 6 months in order to secure 3 years of VIP privileges, and if owned past 3 years then 10 years.

Owners taking full advantages of the perks is no worse than dealers adding market adjustments. It's just that the profit was transferred from the dealers to 918 owners. For obvious reason the dealers doesn't like that either. Which is why the offer was there to promise to keep any cars ordered for a set amount of time in exchange for them banning dealers from selling new cars above MSRP.

--

nberry:

Nick, Champion in Florida is like God to PCNA and PCA. I believe their biggest dealer.Smiley

From my limited samples the average 918 owners bought at least 5 Porsches before the 918, and everyone took the RS and perhaps the GT4. Kept at least 3 Porsches in the garage right now, one has over 30 Porsche in his warehouse, name a Porsche and he has it.

I am the odd duck with only 2 counting the RS and didn't order the GT4.

--

The VIP programme is very badly handled and will create more problems . I have always said that . It can not work .  There will be abuses on both ends, and angry people on all ends .

I can not say much, as I do not want to create problems to some people .

918 owners have ordered the car without even thinking in advance if they want it or not . As it is not a real limited production, lots of them do not want the car anymore , and sell it without even having driven the car.

But if it would of been a limited production , only 918 buyers would of been able to buy it  . 

Porsche can not make this program work . They are now in the impossibility to make any real limited production, as they would only go to 918 buyers .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM