Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Dammit...the itching started again (Audi R8 V10 Plus)

RC:
    J.Seven:

RC how do you compare the R8 vs GTS after the test drive? This is one of best engine sounds out there.

Two completely different cars, this is why they would complement each other pretty well. 

The V10 Plus sound is amazing, very Lamborghini like (apparently you can also "tweak" the exhaust flap control... Smiley). The GTS sounds like a 911 should sound, this is a very throaty sawing sound, I just love it too.

The R8 feels like a supersportscar, the GTS feels like a go-kart, I love both.

Also, the R8 is fully loaded (LED headlights, ceramics, carbon stuff, red stitching, B&O sound system, etc.) and it is a 2014 car with the latest tech and updates (facelift is of course newer). I still think it is a very good offer, especially since the dealer is local and the 4 years warranty is an icing on the cake but maybe I'll wait until winter time, in the hope that I could get the car for under 100k (new price tag 181k).

Unbelieveble price compared to new! Basicaly this is almost like buying a brand new car for almost 80k less Smiley!what a deal! Hard to belive you resist to buy it after the drive test! Still I would prefer the Gallardo but I know it's not the proper car for you.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

Was it Ladbrokes who took bets on almost anything?

"RC to buy R10 before end of September"

Kimi:

Was it Ladbrokes who took bets on almost anything?

"RC to buy R10 before end of September"

The odds are bigger he does not Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

OK, R8 then :)

Sorry, guys. I am passing on that R8. Doesn't make sense for me, it would be just another weekend toy I cannot drive because I don't have the time. Well, it was nice dreaming of it though. laugh yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The never ending sequel...... next up 991.2 TT/S smiley

Welll decided.... you will soon come across another toy indecision

BiTurbo:

Smiley Smiley I was thinking about getting a used weekend toy in a certain price range. I think you are confusing a couple of things here. 

Since the 991.2 TT/S won't have anything interesting for me, besides the additional power, why would I want to get one? Smiley

Guys, I know it is difficult to follow my car "escapades" but some of you clearly haven't paid attention. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lars997:

I am still focused on the R8 V10 Plus but I am hoping for a better deal (around 90k or so) next year. Smiley

Real exotics like Ferrari or Lamborghini are out of the question for me, so the R8 would be perfect.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I am still focused on the R8 V10 Plus but I am hoping for a better deal (around 90k or so) next year. Smiley

Real exotics like Ferrari or Lamborghini are out of the question for me, so the R8 would be perfect.

Anyway... interesting to read that you call the R8 an excotic. I 100% agree - compared to an 911 the car is much more radical sports car. The whole setup is 20century sportscar, while the 911 basically still is a design out of the fifties. Nevertheless - old story, sportscar vs alld-day-multi-purpose-sports-coupe!

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

Anyway... interesting to read that you call the R8 an excotic. I 100% agree - compared to an 911 the car is much more radical sports car. The whole setup is 20century sportscar, while the 911 basically still is a design out of the fifties. Nevertheless - old story, sportscar vs alld-day-multi-purpose-sports-coupe!

Well, the R8 is kind of an exotic if you compare it to the 911, the 6 series, the SL and so on. This is why I never understood why Audi is keeping the R8, this should actually be a Porsche. Smiley

I can't help it, I really like the R8 but only the V10 Plus with the new gearbox and the many carbon applications and ceramic brake (I would never get the V8). Yes, this car may not become a classic because the "new" one also has a V10 but I think that for under 90k EUR, the R8 V10 Plus would be a bargain.

Right now, it doesn't make sense to spend such money on a weekend toy, especially since autumn and winter are coming to Germany. I will check on the R8 V10 Plus prices again around December/January, maybe I'm lucky. who knows. Smiley This car would be an interesting addition to my (one car Smiley) car collection. Smiley

--

I would wait as you say. And as the new one has a V10 you might get a deal in a year from now of the new model. You are not the guy driving around in a last generation super car. You never did at least indecision (not talking about a classic car where an adequate successor is in place aka the Shelby Smiley)

Lars997:

I would wait as you say. And as the new one has a V10 you might get a deal in a year from now of the new model. You are not the guy driving around in a last generation super car. You never did at least indecision (not talking about a classic car where an adequate successor is in place aka the Shelby Smiley)

I don't think that new R8 V10 Plus will drop that much since I actually know that this is going to be the last V10 in a R8. The next generation (maybe even the facelift) will have new biturbo charged V8 engines and maybe even a biturbo V6 (R8 base model).

Also found a red R8 V10 Plus for the same money with even less kms and the same warranty offer , the red car looks amazing but I'm more of a black car type of guy. Smiley Still...I am going to wait until winter time, I am pretty sure I can snatch a better deal in winter time, when dealers want to get rid of their stock and actually need the money because business slows down (around December should be OK).

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I don't think that new R8 V10 Plus will drop that much since I actually know that this is going to be the last V10 in a R8. The next generation (maybe even the facelift) will have new biturbo charged V8 engines and maybe even a biturbo V6 (R8 base model).

Also found a red R8 V10 Plus for the same money with even less kms and the same warranty offer , the red car looks amazing but I'm more of a black car type of guy. Smiley Still...I am going to wait until winter time, I am pretty sure I can snatch a better deal in winter time, when dealers want to get rid of their stock and actually need the money because business slows down (around December should be OK).

Good idea.... winter is always better. Don't wait to long... if I would have listened to so many voices, I probably would have never bought my SLS. Smiley

If money wouldn't be an issue, the R8 would already be in my garage. 

--

RC:

in that case.... the itch really is huge Smiley ... you are a medicine man.... nothing to swallow in your shop what could help? Smiley

Lars997:
    RC:

in that case.... the itch really is huge Smiley ... you are a medicine man.... nothing to swallow in your shop what could help? Smiley

Smiley Lately, I do not like cars the way I liked them before. In the past, I looked up technical specs, checked performance figures and how fast they were and I based my decisions mainly on specs and performance. Now, surprisingly, I started to look for a different way of evaluation...my guts and my mood. Seems to work better because I really love my GTS (still and I already have almost 6000 km in it), I still love my Shelby but I would love to add an exotic. The first thought (exotic) would have been a Ferrari 458 but since these cars cost a fortune (and no, I won't pay 150k for a used 458 Spider with 70k km, this is ridiculous), the R8 V10 Plus is a very good alternative in my opinion. Once I saw this car and drove it, I was hooked. Can't help it.

I guess here were are: I am getting older. Smiley Smiley

--

You might be able to save some good money like that RC. Getting the latest most powerful thing around is big $$$...

SciFrog:

You might be able to save some good money like that RC. Getting the latest most powerful thing around is big $$$...

This is another bonus as well, you're right. Smiley

--

RC:

Also found a red R8 V10 Plus for the same money with even less kms and the same warranty offer

Ladies and gents, there are still hope Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

J.Seven:
    RC:

Also found a red R8 V10 Plus for the same money with even less kms and the same warranty offer

Of course there is always hope but not for now. Maybe in winter time or next spring. Smiley

--

J.Seven:
    RC:

Oh dear, that was a surprise turnaround... Not! Smiley 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Why not get a late Gallardo, they are priced reasonable and they look so much more special than an R8. Get it in a dark grey color and it doesn't look to flashy or aggressive. I don't see the added value of an R8 next to a 991 GTS? yes

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

Why not get a late Gallardo, they are priced reasonable and they look so much more special than an R8. Get it in a dark grey color and it doesn't look to flashy or aggressive. I don't see the added value of an R8 next to a 991 GTS? yes

The Gallardo gear box is a killer Smiley

RC:
    BiTurbo:

Smiley Smiley I was thinking about getting a used weekend toy in a certain price range. I think you are confusing a couple of things here. 

Since the 991.2 TT/S won't have anything interesting for me, besides the additional power, why would I want to get one? Smiley

Guys, I know it is difficult to follow my car "escapades" but some of you clearly haven't paid attention. Smiley Smiley

Only time will tell Smiley

Italo:
    993Targa:

The Gallardo gear box is a killer Smiley

Manual = Yes

DCT = Yes

E-gear = Frequent visits to the hospital (back pain) whether you have one or not and service for clutch replacement Smiley

RC:
    Lars997:
    RC:

Smiley Lately, I do not like cars the way I liked them before. In the past, I looked up technical specs, checked performance figures and how fast they were and I based my decisions mainly on specs and performance. Now, surprisingly, I started to look for a different way of evaluation...my guts and my mood. Seems to work better because I really love my GTS (still and I already have almost 6000 km in it), I still love my Shelby but I would love to add an exotic. The first thought (exotic) would have been a Ferrari 458 but since these cars cost a fortune (and no, I won't pay 150k for a used 458 Spider with 70k km, this is ridiculous), the R8 V10 Plus is a very good alternative in my opinion. Once I saw this car and drove it, I was hooked. Can't help it.

I guess here were are: I am getting olderSmiley Smiley

Once you say this about an Mercedes SL.... you will be right there and we will not accept any excuse Smiley

993Targa:

Gallardo

1. "Good" cars with little mileage and not too old barely available for around 100k EUR (actually, there are none).

2. Warranty usually limited to the typical used car warranty.

3. Too exotic for my neighborhood.

4. I have three Audi dealers within a 10 km radius who can service/repair the R8 V10 Plus. The next Lamborghini dealership is 70 km away.

The added value of the R8 over my 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cab?

1. Exotic look

2. Different drive feel (mid engine, different setup)

3. Better performance (0-200 kph around 4 seconds faster, the difference in the over 200 kph speed range is even bigger)

4. Amazing sound but different (V10 vs flat six)

I could continue... Smiley

--

My neighbor keeps driving by with his V10 R8 convertible.  Best sounding car in the area.  On the other hand, I also have an itch to get another car.  I have been quietly looking for a New Shelby GT-350R and found a few with the help of Ford marketing Nationwide.  Seems they are interested in a trade for my Turbo (as though it is a trophy trade).  Seriously thinking about it but most likely I will keep the Turbo AND get the Shelby.  That would be car #5 but who is counting (two motorcycles and a speed boat - NO planes).  Life in Kansas is cheap - even without a fairtax.  :-)

Bluelines !!! where's the popcorn ?! he started making pros and cons list and dropped the "Once I saw this car and drove it, I was hooked." line !!

Right on time for me to dust off my "I told you so" banner.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764027 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436323 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260959 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257895 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82600 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876695 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808705 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM