Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Carrera GTS - Extensive RoadTest Review

Thanks. Yes, that seem to be a one-to-one match with the original 991 X51 Carrera S power kit:

• Flow-optimised cylinder heads with polished channels
    • Dual-position resonance intake system with six coordinated intake ducts
    • Inlet camshafts with larger valve lift 
    • Sports exhaust
    • Additional water cooler
    • Redesigned engine control mapping

I looked at this for my C4S and hence my interest and curiosity in this tiny detail indecision It would have surprised me if Porsche had developed a new power kit specifically for the GTS.

Enjoy your new baby! wink

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Re: RoadTest Review - 991 Carrera GTS

Truly great review Carlos, very many thanks for taking the time and trouble to write and post it. The latest Carrera GTS truly is a great car, you've specified yours tastefully, Carmine red suits the car better than any other colour. SmileySmiley

Like you with your Carrera GTS we are well pleased, even amazed with our own Boxster GTS, my initial collection thread got "lost" in the IT debacle earlier on and I haven't bothered to re-write it, partially because there is nothing like the interest on RT with the Boxster / Cayman (other than Spyder and GT4) so the motivation isn't there. In any event you've shamed me with the effort you have taken with this review, especially as English isn't your "mother" language. Smiley  Maybe 3,000 miles on I should reconsider and construct a review of our car? Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Congratulations Carlos! Beautiful GTS, in one of the best colors out there. Read your review twice and enjoyed it thoroughly . Thank you for taking the time and effort for writing such a great report.

@nberry - FWIW you can have the dealership disable the stop-start function (rather have it switched off by default when you start the car)

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

dreamcar:

Maybe 3,000 miles on I should reconsider and construct a review of our car? Smiley

YES PLEASE! 
    It is so valuable to have an evaluation/ownership review, especially since after a while the "high" of getting a new car has worn off a bit and one can assess the car a bit more objectively. I'd love to read your review DC!

Carlos, what a wonderful review, truly amazing write-up. Thanks so much for taking us by the hand and making us part of the walkaround, the insights and details... thanks so much buddy!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

bluelines:

Thanks. Yes, that seem to be a one-to-one match with the original 991 X51 Carrera S power kit:

• Flow-optimised cylinder heads with polished channels
    • Dual-position resonance intake system with six coordinated intake ducts
    • Inlet camshafts with larger valve lift 
    • Sports exhaust
    • Additional water cooler
    • Redesigned engine control mapping

I looked at this for my C4S and hence my interest and curiosity in this tiny detail indecision It would have surprised me if Porsche had developed a new power kit specifically for the GTS.

Enjoy your new baby! wink

Seems you can't even trust official press releases Smiley Thanks for the clarification though, going to correct it on the review Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Thanks everyone and glad you  liked it!winkwinkwink

--

bridggar:

@nberry - FWIW you can have the dealership disable the stop-start function (rather have it switched off by default when you start the car)

Hi bridggar! can you confirm this? the dealer can disable the start/stop by hooking it up to the computer? I was told otherwise so if it is indeed possible I'll be paying them a visit...

--

Thank you Carlos for giving us your concise account of GTS initial ownership.

I would suggest reports every 5.000 km until everything is tried and tested.

The GTS seems to be the definitive 2+2 seat 911 and a successful farewell to the atmospheric engines.

--

"Form follows function"

A few words (and yes, Carlos did a great job, the photos are also stunning) from a 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet owner who has already done over 4500 km in this wonderful car:

1. I chose PDCC for my car because PDCC really changes the chassis feel of the car, similar to a go-kart. It is like driving the 20 mm chassis without the lowering and without some possible comfort issues. Those who criticize PDCC may have driven an earlier version but right now, I can say that PDCC is amazing. The heavier the car, the better (so if one chooses the Cab, Targa or even C4, I think that PDCC is a must). 

2. The BOSE system sounds OK when driving with the top up or in a Coupe but once you open the top, it sucks. Porsche clearly should have made some adaptations to the Cab, especially the bass is too thin when the top is open and yes, I have it at max (Line In setup though, otherwise the system sounds crappy and the bass is too strong and crappy as well).

3. PDK is great but I have an issue I cannot really get over with. I have a request at Porsche for a software update (Porsche apparently has different software versions but the latest unfortunately is about comfort only and this is the least I need for my GTS) because from standstill, the car doesn't really accelerate instantly and yes, PDK is the reason for it. It sounds as if you let the clutch slide for too long and this is actually exactly what happens, it kind of "simulates" an automatic tranny torque converter to improve comfort. I hate this setup! Lets see if Porsche can come up with a solution because so far, this is actually the only thing bothering me on my car.

4. The GTS engine and the Powerkit engine are, to my knowledge, identical. What seems to be different for the GTS is the mapping for the exhaust flap control software setup and for the sound symposer software setup. Hardware is the same, including the sport exhaust (minus the black exhaust pipes).

5. I do not understand why Carlos, who lives in sunny Spain, didn't choose a Cab or at least a sun roof but I am pretty sure he had his own personal reasons for that. All I can say is that driving with an open top is just the most amazing experience in my 991 C4 GTS Cab. When it is sunny and warm outside, I just love it and wouldn't miss it for the world. Of course we had superb weather in Bavaria since early May, when I picked up my car but honestly, I think that a Cab is almost a must if you don't mind the extra weight or cost. The 991 Cab roof is not your typical cabriolet cloth top from the past, it is really very very good.

6. I agree with Carlos, you do not need AWD on the GTS. The only reason I chose AWD is because I live in Bavaria and I will surely drive this car on snow on a daily basis. Traction isn't really an issue with the 991 2WD but AWD provides this little plus of traction which may be needed under extreme weather conditions. If someone is living in a sunny region and without much of rain, forget about AWD, you don't really need it. The 991 has no traction issues.

Is there something I regret not ordering or something I would have changed on my car if I could order it again?

- I regret not ordering the sport seat shells. The sport seats plus I ordered are great but the seat shells look amazing on a cabriolet, I recently saw a factory car equipped with them. I chose the sport seats plus because I sometimes take my older mother with me to work but this may have been a mistake because no matter what kind of seat she sits in, she doesn't feel OK anyway. yes

- I regret not ordering Burmester because the BOSE sucks with an open top. Not sure if Burmester would have been better with an open top but I am pretty sure the bass would have been stronger and this is actually what the BOSE lacks with an open top and the Line In setup in the sound setup.

- I regret not ordering the Alcantara or leather sun visors, the plastic ones look really bad, especially with the top open (not sure though that anyone else than me actually notices that). 

So far, almost three months have passed and I still love my 991 C4 GTS Cabriolet. Only that PDK thingie kind of annoys me a little bit but I hope it is taken care of.

Btw: I was told to try to reset the PDK fuzzy logic and see how this works for me.
    How you do that? Well, it is quite simple:

1. turn on the engine, turn off A/C (and any other consumer like PCM, etc.) and let the engine run for 3 minutes.

2.  turn on A/C and wait another 3 minutes.

3. turn off engine, remove the key, close the car and wait one minute.

This should do the trick (I hope).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Carlos from Spain:
    bridggar:

Hi bridggar! can you confirm this? the dealer can disable the start/stop by hooking it up to the computer? I was told otherwise so if it is indeed possible I'll be paying them a visit...

My dealer told me this is not possible anymore, at least not in Germany (PiWiS doesn't offer the software "switch" anymore).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I had this done at OPC after 6 weeks of ownership in the UK - I also wanted it set to sport mode by default but I was told this wasn't possible. (I've no idea why)

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

I had this done at OPC after 6 weeks of ownership in the UK - I also wanted it set to sport mode by default but I was told this wasn't possible. (I've no idea why)

Sport mode by default was never possible, for safety reasons and this is actually OK. Only start/stop could be deactivated and now, this isn't possible either (in Germany, don't know about other countries) because of taxation reasons. The start/stop automatic is part of the emissions certification of the car and disabling the start/stop would be a direct violation of that law, incl. the connected taxation to it. Or short: You would commit tax fraud if you deactivate it in Germany. Smiley

--

Fantastic review Carlos! kiss. You've put so much effort into thisangel. Congratulations.

RC, very informative write-up as well kiss

The problem with the newer Porsches is that many dynamic features which make a difference, like PDCC, PTV, PSE, Powerkit and from the next generation AWSteering are super expensive optional extras. This is unacceptable on an iconic sportscar that should perform at 100% out of the box. And I am sure these extras don't really cost a lot to Porsche. It is just an unscrupulous exercise in profit maximization. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The problem with the newer Porsches is that many dynamic features which make a difference, like PDCC, PTV, PSE, Powerkit and from the next generation AWSteering are super expensive optional extras. This is unacceptable on an iconic sportscar that should perform at 100% out of the box. And I am sure these extras don't really cost a lot to Porsche. It is just an unscrupulous exercise in profit maximization. 

It's hard to argue in a free market economy that profit maximisation is unscrupulous, unless product manufacturers or suppliers have formed an illegal cartel artificially maintain prices at a high level.  Smiley

It should be up to the competitors in a market to keep each other "honest" by offering equally good or better products at lower prices. Companies like Apple and Porsche only get away with their pricing policies if the market is prepared to acknowledge that their products still offer acceptable value for money in comparison with the others on offer.

Whenever attempts have been made to regulate prices to protect consumers, it has generally resulted in a lack of supply or poor choice of goods, or even in black markets which only benefit the illegal profiteers.  

--

fritz

Indeed. There is a supply because of the demand. If the demand for high price options drop the prices will drop too. Simple economics indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I test drove a targa GTS PDK yesterday and a couple of things standout: the noise with S+ active and the open top open... amazing! Went through a tunnel at full throtlle and the experience was comparable to my old GT3 RS.

Second, as RC pointed out, the launch with PDK is very annoying. There is a feel of not having a direct connection between the engine and the gearbox, kind of a slip...

Overal, very exciting car.

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

fritz:
    reginos:

It's hard to argue in a free market economy that profit maximisation is unscrupulous, unless product manufacturers or suppliers have formed an illegal cartel artificially maintain prices at a high level.  Smiley

It should be up to the competitors in a market to keep each other "honest" by offering equally good or better products at lower prices. Companies like Apple and Porsche only get away with their pricing policies if the market is prepared to acknowledge that their products still offer acceptable value for money in comparison with the others on offer.

Whenever attempts have been made to regulate prices to protect consumers, it has generally resulted in a lack of supply or poor choice of goods, or even in black markets which only benefit the illegal profiteers.  

Fritz, to make your Porsche as it should be as a top sportscar you must add a number of expensive performance extras. I am not talking about expensive cosmetic extras which are a matter of personal taste.

It would have been more honest of Porsche, as one of the top sportscar manufacturers, if these items were included in the spec and in a reasonably elevated standard spec price rather than having a low official starting price which no one has ever paid in order for the cars to appear price competitive on paper. In the end some crucial items are not ordered and thus left out (either through ignorance or to facilitate the sale by PZ)  and the customer ends up with an inferior car compared to the magazine figures and what is promoted by Porsche marketing and to what competitors offer in their all-inclusive packages.

See how the cars given to Sport Auto and other magazines include the whole lot of extras without which the 911 is not the same.

For example how many 911s are ordered with PDCC at 3.000 EUR? If it was made affordable and preferably standard in a slightly higher starting price, more Porsche fans would enjoy this Porsche innovation. The same applies to the Sport   Chrono Pack a 1.600 EUR extra which if ommited reduces the performance of what is advertised as a top sportscar.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

5. I do not understand why Carlos, who lives in sunny Spain, didn't choose a Cab or at least a sun roof but I am pretty sure he had his own personal reasons for that. All I can say is that driving with an open top is just the most amazing experience in my 991 C4 GTS Cab. When it is sunny and warm outside, I just love it and wouldn't miss it for the world. Of course we had superb weather in Bavaria since early May, when I picked up my car but honestly, I think that a Cab is almost a must if you don't mind the extra weight or cost. The 991 Cab roof is not your typical cabriolet cloth top from the past, it is really very very good.

In my case, I have had cabrios before and end up not driving open in the end. The sun and heat get very uncomfortable, at higher speeds the wind noise is also uncomfortable and the increased drag is also very noticeable in the acceleration, and at slow speeds were its more enjoyable, I don't like the lack of privacy, I don't like to be "seen" when driving around enjoying the car and already the GTS calls to much attention, more than I like. I do understand the joy of open top driving but its not for me. I just would not take advantage of the open top enough for it to merit the extra weight, etc. A few weeks ago I had a Boxster for a day and it reminded me of all of this. But I do understand why other really like cabrios though; those moments with the open top contact with the exterior, exhaust sound, etc... are great, just too few in my case were that would happen.

--

Carlos - Thank you so much for such an exceptional and comprehensive write-up and review of your GTS.. kiss

An amazing job which gave me great pleasure to read and absorb... wink

Also, what a great number-plate you have - did that come standard or did you have to buy it?

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:

Fritz, to make your Porsche as it should be as a top sportscar you must add a number of expensive performance extras. I am not talking about expensive cosmetic extras which are a matter of personal taste.

It would have been more honest of Porsche, as one of the top sportscar manufacturers, if these items were included in the spec and in a reasonably elevated standard spec price rather than having a low official starting price which no one has ever paid in order for the cars to appear price competitive on paper. In the end some crucial items are not ordered and thus left out (either through ignorance or to facilitate the sale by PZ)  and the customer ends up with an inferior car compared to the magazine figures and what is promoted by Porsche marketing and to what competitors offer in their all-inclusive packages.

See how the cars given to Sport Auto and other magazines include the whole lot of extras without which the 911 is not the same.

For example how many 911s are ordered with PDCC at 3.000 EUR? If it was made affordable and preferably standard in a slightly higher starting price, more Porsche fans would enjoy this Porsche innovation. The same applies to the Sport   Chrono Pack a 1.600 EUR extra which if ommited reduces the performance of what is advertised as a top sportscar.

I was just picking up on your use of the term "unscrupulous".

Thinking about it, though, unscrupulous might after all not be so wide of the mark when describing the work of a marketing department.   Smiley

--

fritz

John H:

Also, what a great number-plate you have - did that come standard or did you have to buy it?

Thanks John! Smiley

Re the number-plate: I wish! it's actually a photoshop job so as not to show my real plates Smiley

--

Carlos from Spain:

Re the number-plate: I wish! it's actually a photoshop job so as not to show my real plates Smiley

Wow, what attention to detail, stunning! Makes me believe if I ever needed surgery, I would want you to be my surgeon! Smiley

--

fritz:
    reginos:
    fritz:
    reginos:

I was just picking up on your use of the term "unscrupulous".

Thinking about it, though, unscrupulous might after all not be so wide of the mark when describing the work of a marketing department.   Smiley

Unscrupulous in the sense of misleading the uninitiated buyer into buying something which lacks in performance/dynamic features on a top of the line sportscar.

You can get all the features on BMW, Jaguar, AMG etc. on their out of the box versions.

--

"Form follows function"

Joost:
    dreamcar:

Maybe 3,000 miles on I should reconsider and construct a review of our car? Smiley

YES PLEASE! 
    It is so valuable to have an evaluation/ownership review, especially since after a while the "high" of getting a new car has worn off a bit and one can assess the car a bit more objectively. I'd love to read your review DC!

OK Joost, will do! Smiley Carlos has set a very high standard with his review, but also a kind of template, so I will construct a 3,000 mile review of our Boxster GTS. Please be patient and give me a bit of time though. Might make an interesting comparison to Carlos's views of his fabulous car.

No good whingeing about the lack of Boxster content here on Rennteam if I don't contribute much myself anymore Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Cool, looking forward to it DC!

--

Amazing review.... love it! So tempted to hunt for such a car.... this review makes my mouth watering!

Enjoy that beast!!!

Highly enjoyable review. Thank you Carlos wink

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Carlos you are invited to visit me here in south of Germany in October. Bring enough time to write a looooong review of my GT3 RS wink

And once again great car and great report

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765493 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437332 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258236 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82780 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5334 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877570 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809863 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM