Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Gnil:

I like it ...... and much more then the 488 !

McLaren will be hoping many more say the same, and act on it with their wallets.  I actually think that Ferrari moving to turbos will be a significant boost for McLaren, simply one big reason to buy a Ferrari has gone, and many new supercar buyers are not brand loyalists like perhaps in past days.

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Full technical details are released: http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/release/324/

Main points:

Key weight saving features include:

• Body panels: 35 percent
    • Chassis:30 percent
    • Powertrain: 10 percent
    • Interior: 20 percent
    • Electrical: 5 percent

Powertrain:

• More than 50 percent new components Power of 675PS (666bhp) at 7,100rpm and maximum torque of 700Nm (516lb ft) at 5,500-6,500rpm.
    • Lightweight materials and enhancements within the powertrain save 6kg, while a bespoke crossover titanium exhaust saves a further 1.1kg.
    • New turbochargers with a machined-from-solid compressor wheel – rather than cast – maximising airflow into the combustion chambers.
    • The turbochargers now have electronic rather than pneumatic recirculation wastegates.
    • Fuel flow is increased due to a new fuel pump.
    • A new exhaust manifold channels air out of the combustion chambers faster, improving power and throttle response.

Drivetrain:

• Optimised throttle response and gearshifts up to twice as fast as previously offered.
    • The newly developed Ignition Cut technology is a technique adopted from Formula 1™ which sees a momentary cut of the fuel spark on gearshift.

Dynamics:

• A new steering rack is the fastest fitted to a McLaren model to date.
    • Bespoke suspension tuning, including the use of the uprights and wishbones from the McLaren P1.

Performance figures:

0-97 km/h (0-60 mph)                    2.8 seconds
    0-100 km/h (0-62 mph)                  2.9 seconds
    0-161 km/h (0-100 mph)                5.5 seconds              
    0-200 km/h (0-124 mph)                7.9 seconds
    0-300 km/h (0-186 mph)                22.5 seconds
    0-400m / ¼ mile                            10.45 seconds @ 228 km/h (142 mph)
    Top speed                                     330 km/h (205 mph)  
    Power-to-weight                            549PS per tonne

Chris Harris on the 675LT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QtMaV7kMjc

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

amazing!!!  

It appears McLaren has done a stunning job with the LT.  Though production is so low, it provides the benefit of boosting the reputation of the brand. 

McLaren (MP4-12C) accident on a German Autobahn recently. Apparently one of the rear wheels blocked(!) at 240 kph. Driver (71 years old) survived almost without a scratch (amazing). The whole thing is under investigation now but to be honest, as a McLaren MP4-12C owner, I would be a little bit worried.

Look at the photos... 

2,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

2,w=985,c=0.bild.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

WOW.... lucky guy!

But how can they say the wheel blocked? This is hardly to understand. Even if it blocked - what was the reason, crank-shaft, bearing, tyre, differential, ...... many things could be the reason for a blocking wheel. 

Wow! That's been a big one! Good to hear the driver is okay. Really lucky guy. A locking wheel is not something you'd easily expect to happen.

On a positive note... He improved the looks of the car angry (Just kidding)

--

Suzy

That carbon tub is a thing of beauty!

Lars997:

WOW.... lucky guy!

But how can they say the wheel blocked? This is hardly to understand. Even if it blocked - what was the reason, crank-shaft, bearing, tyre, differential, ...... many things could be the reason for a blocking wheel. 

Apparently there were witnesses (lucky him, otherwise it would be just another "he was way too fast..." story.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

carbon monocell!!!  This should be applied in all super cars.... these weapons!!!  they are going to go wrong if u don't managed correctly, and if it did go wrong, then this is something to save life!!  I am glad I am sitting in monocell knowing I have less risk of severe injuries if things does go wrong.....   

wheel blocked....  and one of the rear wheels??  differential?  but how can a differential to have blocked the wheels?  that does not happen?? 

huangester:

carbon monocell!!!  This should be applied in all super cars.... these weapons!!!  they are going to go wrong if u don't managed correctly, and if it did go wrong, then this is something to save life!!  I am glad I am sitting in monocell knowing I have less risk of severe injuries if things does go wrong.....   

wheel blocked....  and one of the rear wheels??  differential?  but how can a differential to have blocked the wheels?  that does not happen?? 

Good question. Maybe some sort of technical issue or just a material defect? 

--

Open differentials 

Autocar review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJy9ZrVp8zc

What a brilliant car, my favorite in that price bracket.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

The Macca has come of age. I test drove a 650S last week and was truly blown away. Another reason not to listen to media BS. I ordered my LT in heritage orange and the car will be delivered in November. I expect it to be a better car than my upcoming GT3RS. Will post a nice comparison from silverstone. 

Coming from you François and after you trashed the speciale a bit it is a BIG statement... Said it before, I might consider an FF equivalent from them if they ever make one...

SciFrog:

Coming from you François and after you trashed the speciale a bit it is a BIG statement... Said it before, I might consider an FF equivalent from them if they ever make one...

I've liked everything about that brand ever since I met them. There's a boutique approach that Ferrari can only dream of, let alone Porsche. The 650 was truly brilliant. Most impressive was its steering feel and handling. It reminded me of my Carrera GT but better. Engine not as charismatic nor musical but it goes nonetheless . Anyway all 600hp + cars now all feel very fast at the limit. My test was only about 50km but to me it's a much better car than the floaty 458. I begged for an LT and I've just had a slot confirmed for later this year. I sat in an LT at the factory and the bucket is sublime. Narrow, enclined and extremely supportive. The interior is amazing. Very cocooning and the centre console reminds me of my CGT but with a proper infotainment system. The styling is still a bit much at the front but at least the brand now has it's own identity and the rear of the car is very nice on the LT. I was with my mate Paul Lanzante who looks after my F1 so we were well received. He bought the batch of P1 XP cars so we had a close look at that car too. I never looked at it in details and its a fine machine. 570S looks great too. It'll be interesting to see how it does but the interior is great!

1438527851493image.jpg
    1438527851502image.jpg
    1438527851510image.jpg
    1438527851481image.jpgPics of the LT I sat on in Woking. And 650S I tested in France. 

Futch - which colour did you opt for? I have delayed mine till March and have gone for an MSO colour this time.

crayphile:

Futch - which colour did you opt for? I have delayed mine till March and have gone for an MSO colour this time.

I have gone for one of the five predetermined specs. Heritage orange. I didn't take any MSO option as I have also been told it will delay the car. I have a few winter trackdays lined up at silverstone and I want to use the car. 

I have the impression the LT even sounds half-decent compared to a 650S, looking forward to both your impressions!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Great review on PH

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/mclaren-675lt-review-part-two/32561

--

All McLarens, including the 12C, haven't gotten the credit they deserve. The depreciation was really what gave the car a bad image more than anything. 12C, 650S, 675LT -- some of the best cars you can even buy today, not to mention back in 2011/2012.

The cars weren't without problems, but those who have owned them usually agree that they are fantastic. No cars is prefect for everyone, but it's usually the ones that don't actually own and use them regularly which think they are meh.

Porker:

Great review on PH

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-driven/mclaren-675lt-review-part-two/32561

The article notes Elise like involvement at normal speeds which is really huge.  Not only is the car apparently totally engaging on the street while not blowing away the speed limit, but it's fast as hell on the track.

Futch:
    SciFrog:

I've liked everything about that brand ever since I met them. There's a boutique approach that Ferrari can only dream of, let alone Porsche. The 650 was truly brilliant. Most impressive was its steering feel and handling. It reminded me of my Carrera GT but better. Engine not as charismatic nor musical but it goes nonetheless . Anyway all 600hp + cars now all feel very fast at the limit. My test was only about 50km but to me it's a much better car than the floaty 458. I begged for an LT and I've just had a slot confirmed for later this year. I sat in an LT at the factory and the bucket is sublime. Narrow, enclined and extremely supportive. The interior is amazing. Very cocooning and the centre console reminds me of my CGT but with a proper infotainment system. The styling is still a bit much at the front but at least the brand now has it's own identity and the rear of the car is very nice on the LT. I was with my mate Paul Lanzante who looks after my F1 so we were well received. He bought the batch of P1 XP cars so we had a close look at that car too. I never looked at it in details and its a fine machine. 570S looks great too. It'll be interesting to see how it does but the interior is great!

Congratulations, Futch! Smiley Smiley

I enjoyed the read and yes, McLaren may not get the credit they deserve but maybe there is one little thing to think about: How can such a small company offer actually the same or better performance/quality than the "major" players in the business like Ferrari, Porsche or Lamborghini? Do they have some sort of secret ingredient or do they have the better engineers with the better understanding of sports cars? Or aren't they as profitable as Ferrari or Porsche for example? I understand your enthusiasm and I haven't driven the "new" 650 yet but the only McLaren I drove was the MP4-12C and I was underwhelmed (OK, amazing acceleration and fantastic ESP setup, no doubt about it).

So why would McLaren do it better than Ferrari or Porsche with less resources and experience? Smiley Or have Porsche and Ferrari lost their touch? Please forgive my bluntness but I honestly think that McLaren could be onto something Ferrari and especially Porsche could have "missed".

I also know that Porsche tests and compares "competitor" products to their own cars, so when it comes to raw straight line performance (0-200 kph performance would be an example), they can clearly see the difference. Why is Porsche lagging behind? 

--

Dont forget that (not only) modern cars and their performance depend a lot on tires.

Ive started on my 12C with standard P Zeros and it made the car look bad performance and traction wise. After 2500km i switched to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and boy what a difference. Driven the tire through 6 trackdays and 14000km and i was very happy with the overall feel. Now i switched to Pirelli Trofeo R (standard on 675LT) and they are even (not by much) better.

So many journalists and also testdrives compare the feeling between a 12C on P Zero a 650S on P Zero Corsa and a 675LT on Trofeo R. And after extensive time in the 650S its mainly the tire where all the magic comes from.

The Aventador SV time on NBR for example was done with development tires for future Trofeo R. No wonder it was that fast. Flugplatz corner with 200 kn/h. The Cayman GT4 on Cup2 has done the corner with 180 km/h. Thats nearly 20km/h more and that difference comes mainly from the tire. The SV with Cup2 or regular Trofeo R is imho good for 7:20-7:25 not more.

hunterone:

Dont forget that (not only) modern cars and their performance depend a lot on tires.

True but most drivers drive their cars on normal roads and to be honest, I wouldn't buy an Aventador for track use. Futch is a different story, he has so many cars to choose from, I wouldn't compare to the standard sports car buyer.

Ive started on my 12C with standard P Zeros and it made the car look bad performance and traction wise. After 2500km i switched to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and boy what a difference. Driven the tire through 6 trackdays and 14000km and i was very happy with the overall feel. Now i switched to Pirelli Trofeo R (standard on 675LT) and they are even (not by much) better.

Well, the PZero is a very good road tire but not really made for serious track use. On the other hand, I wouldn't really want to drive a semi-slick on normal roads. Did that twice (Michelin Cup and Goodyear F1 Supercar G:2) and I wouldn't recommend it at all. Very nice if you live in a region with hot road surfaces and warm temperatures but if the road surface is below 25°C and if the outside temperature drops below 20°C, the semi slicks are even dangerous for normal road use. These tires need temperature and it is almost impossible to get them to the right temperature during normal road use, even at higher temperatures. No thanks.

So many journalists and also testdrives compare the feeling between a 12C on P Zero a 650S on P Zero Corsa and a 675LT on Trofeo R. And after extensive time in the 650S its mainly the tire where all the magic comes from.

I am pretty sure that McLaren also did some chassis/steering tweaking, not only tires.

--

RC:
    So why would McLaren do it better than Ferrari or Porsche with less resources and experience? Smiley Or have Porsche and Ferrari lost their touch? Please forgive my bluntness but I honestly think that McLaren could be onto something Ferrari and especially Porsche could have "missed". 

The short answer is that McLaren  is "leaner and meaner" than a long-established car manufacturer. 
    In the time and with the resources that a traditional manufacturer would need just to get management approval for the budget for a feasibility study on a new model, McLaren could be well advanced with designing it and building the first prototype. The resources and experience it does have as a result of its Formula 1 involvement are just what the company needs in the context of its small-scale production set-up. 

--

fritz

With only 1 platform, McLaren doesn't need to do much to push out new products, the major research has already been done. They just have to put some different skin on the outside, tweak the engine and boom another product.

--

Whoopsy:

With only 1 platform, McLaren doesn't need to do much to push out new products, the major research has already been done. They just have to put some different skin on the outside, tweak the engine and boom another product.

Doesn't actually Porsche do the same with the 911? I just wish the 991 Turbo S had the performance of the 675 or even the 650S. Smiley Yes, the facelifted Turbo S will get closer but... Smiley

Meaner and Leaner ("fritz")...this sounds interesting but why would Porsche not use the same strategy? Wouldn't it be the smart way? I thought that VW Group left the responsibility of the sports cars to Weissach and the others (Cayenne, Panamera, etc.) were "outsourced"? Right now, I cannot see any advantage of that in Porsche sports cars. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688941 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408901 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255615 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234875 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65453 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857722 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773673 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM