Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

RC:
    Congratulations, Mike. We finally got you too, right? Smiley Looks amazing. Smiley 

Thanks, RC.

Yup, y'all finally got me back into the fold.  We can all thank the US Federal Reserve's Zero-Interest-Rate-Policy for pushing old Porsche prices up to a point where I can do a cash-free exchange of older cars with newer cars.  Ain't it great?  SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Carrera GT #0911 + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

You do realized I 'helped' your purchase with a few V1s? Like 3 of them indecision

--

Embedded image permalink

Rendering of an imaginary RS version. I love it!

Whoopsy:

You do realized I 'helped' your purchase with a few V1s? Like 3 of them indecision

Still wondering why he isn't offer some sort of customized stealth install kit for the V1, not only for the 918 but also the 911 for example. He could make a fortune. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Are detectors illegal in Germany? They are prohibited where I live, and there aren't many options for units that are not picked up by the spectre "detector detectors" unfortunately, which is what the police use to locate them.

Mike, I know this sounds like a stupid question but how will you use the 918? You have most of Porsche's top performance cars which you use at the track. Driving the 918 around town doesn't seem worthy of the car. yes

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

Driving the 918 around town doesn't seem worthy of the car. yes

If I was in position to buy 918 I would plan to use it as often as possible Smiley It has all technical propositions to serve you flawlessly in narrow city streets (RWS), garages (front lifter), residential areas (e-mode), rain and even harsher conditions (4wd), sunny days (detachable roof). From visual point of view its elegant car so you will not be considered as silly guy with his flashy toy if you meet up with clients driving 918 (especially in Mike`s case because he picked very subtle color). 

From Whoopsy`s posts, maintenance intervals seems pretty much similar with other Porsche cars, so beating crap out of 918 on daily basis shouldnt make problems like you would have with Carrera GT if you decide to use that kind of car every day.

Correct me if I am wrong, but 918 seems perfect daily driver for business people that dont need to carry big stuff in trunk during their day.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

JoeRockhead:

Are detectors illegal in Germany? They are prohibited where I live, and there aren't many options for units that are not picked up by the spectre "detector detectors" unfortunately, which is what the police use to locate them.

Highly illegal. If the police finds a (working) detector in your car, they usually confiscate it. In a worse case scenario, when the detector has a fixed install, they can confiscate the car (temporary). You get a fine of 75 € and, I think, one point on your license (at over 8 points, the license gets suspended).

Stealth installs are still best because the police over here is not trained to detect them. I know a guy who has been stopped a couple of times and one time, the police was even suspicious (they used a laser but the laser didn't "measure", so they suspected foul play) and checked the car but didn't find anything. The trick? The laser "blinders" were integrated into the black bumper and they didn't realize it. They actually thought they were parking sensors but the owner replaced the parking sensors with the blinders and even added two more. Smiley

On the other hand, I once saw a Cayenne with UK license plates who had his laser blinders installed in the front grill. Even a not so experienced police officer would have spotted them immediately, not very clever. Smiley

Usually however, the German police does not look for radar detectors. Also, they aren't always useful because German police uses stealth video surveillance cars (they follow you and "catch" you) or they are using section control (distance between two points, no radar or laser) or a light sensor. On the other hand, we do not have police cars with integrated laser guns who can track us while driving from the opposite direction. So basically, if you pay attention very very well and keep your eyes open, the German police has a hard time to catch you.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Highly illegal. If the police finds a (working) detector in your car, they usually confiscate it. In a worse case scenario, when the detector has a fixed install, they can confiscate the car (temporary). You get a fine of 75 € and, I think, one point on your license (at over 8 points, the license gets suspended).

Stealth installs are still best because the police over here is not trained to detect them. I know a guy who has been stopped a couple of times and one time, the police was even suspicious (they used a laser but the laser didn't "measure", so they suspected foul play) and checked the car but didn't find anything. The trick? The laser "blinders" were integrated into the black bumper and they didn't realize it. They actually thought they were parking sensors but the owner replaced the parking sensors with the blinders and even added two more. Smiley

On the other hand, I once saw a Cayenne with UK license plates who had his laser blinders installed in the front grill. Even a not so experienced police officer would have spotted them immediately, not very clever. Smiley

They will take them away from you here, too. I think it's a few points and $175. You can get stealth installs done (there are local electronics installers who will do it for you if you supply the unit,which is relatively easy to get as they are legal in other parts of the country, and over the border as well. 

I do not trust installers here, so I never had one installed. They rat you out, especially if you drive an expensive car. At least this is what I heard from a couple of people. The guy I mentioned with those laser blinders had his stuff installed in the Czech Republic (not far away from his home in Bavaria) but his cousin does business with the installer, so he trusts him. I feel better off using my eyes and brains but especially outside Germany (Austria, Italy), such a stealth system could be very useful.

--

nberry:

Mike, I know this sounds like a stupid question but how will you use the 918? You have most of Porsche's top performance cars which you use at the track. Driving the 918 around town doesn't seem worthy of the car. yes

Nick,

Just like the Carrera GT, the 918 has three modes:

1)  Track mode.

2)  Rodeo Drive mode (tooling around in conspicuous consumption).

3)  Rural road, twisty turn, leisure cruising mode.

The 918 is actually better at all three modes than the CGT.

1)  In track mode, the rear wheel steering, Cup 2 tires and AWD make the car much more forgiving than the CGT, let alone blindingly fast.

2)  In Rodeo Drive mode, nothing says conspicuous consumption better than a nearly 7-digit MSRP.  Tennis ladies (cougars?) driving Panameras (I live across the street from a tennis club) go absolutely weak in the knees when they see it.

3)  For tooling around, the E-drive and the lower interior noise plus Burmester combine to a much more civilized experience than the road-noisy CGT with a poor excuse for an old-time car radio.

So, I see no problems enjoying it at least as much as the CGT right here in Cincinnati.  The "Tesla-like" experience is an additional dimension and quite attractive.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Carrera GT #0911 + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Whoopsy:

Nick,

Thanks so much for your patronage Smiley.

The 918 is the product of spading over the collection in the garage, theoretically cash neutral.

You are helping put my youngest through medical school Smiley

Thanks again!

--

Mike

W8MM:
    For tooling around, the E-drive and the lower interior noise plus Burmester combine to a much more civilized experience than the road-noisy CGT with a poor excuse for an old-time car radio.

Burmester must be great without engine noise (tried it in a parked 991 once).  For an electronics guy like yourself, I can imagine that'd be fun.  I thought it was by far best OEM car audio system I ever heard Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Way to Go Mike!  I am a proud sponsor of your 918 - and much like your investment in cars it has paid for itself over and over again!  Win for me and you!

Cheers -

Now everyone - if you don't have a V1 yet - get one and help Mike make his insurance payments.Smiley

Congrats Mike... the car looks adorable.

Just beautiful to look and, I guess to drive broken heart. Congrats.

--

918 acceleration+alcohol=bad consiquences... 

http://thesupercarkids.com/porsche-918-spyder-crashed-at-nikki-beach-in-st-tropez/

I would say it was something more intense than alcohol smiley 

I am not surprised they are smiling after incident & very costly repair since that Russian guy is probably keeping his $50mil yacht in local marina too blush

--

The car has a German number plate as far as I can see. 

This douche bag with his lobster kind of skin color and obvious first level skin cancer should be arrested. He almost hit that other guest - and at the end he is standing there, smiling and having another drink. Insane

Definition of an IDIOT 😡😡

Lars997:

... should be arrested. He almost hit that other guest - and at the end he is standing there, smiling and having another drink. Insane

Agree, totally insane.  There is another clip of a security guard talking to him, but I wonder if management even tried to reprimand him...probably not point.

Close up

Daddy probably bought him the car!!!

Lars997:

This douche bag with his lobster kind of skin color and obvious first level skin cancer should be arrested. He almost hit that other guest - and at the end he is standing there, smiling and having another drink. Insane

I fully agree. what a douche bag. This car is not for people like him. Smiley Actually, this is the first time ever in my life I think someone doesn't deserve such a car. I wonder how someone that dumb can actually afford such a car. Smiley Smiley

Btw: Rumors indicate that this is a rental car and the guy driving it is a Russian national.

--

RC:
    Lars997:

I fully agree. what a douche bag. This car is not for people like him. Smiley Actually, this is the first time ever in my life I think someone doesn't deserve such a car. I wonder how someone that dumb can actually afford such a car. Smiley Smiley

Btw: Rumors indicate that this is a rental car and the guy driving it is a Russian national.

You can rent a 918?

Wow, Hertz has really upped their game. Smiley

That's what I was thinking too Joe! On a different note, his passenger sure was easy on the eyes. 😜

WAY:

That's what I was thinking too Joe! On a different note, his passenger sure was easy on the eyes. 😜

She was a dime a dozen - trouble is that with that car you can't fit all the girls like her at once. - Perhaps a good use for a seven passenger Porsche SUV bringing up the rear.Smiley (picture the SUV like the F1 Medical car chasing the field for the first lap...but loaded with blonds and drinks)

Cayenne LWB sounds like very good idea Smiley

--

Perfect - Forever to be known as Easy Red now Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM