Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 and future models Thread Closed

EnglishManInNY:

Looks a little hot wheels toy like to me....should be much more aggressive looking.

I agree! Contrary to others, I have no issue with the rear of this car. I like the dual exhausts more in the center. I like the new grill (with the blades running in the direction the car is heading). I like the lights, etc. I am really not impressed with the front. It looks (to my eye) very tame. Not at all aggressive. To me, the front spoils the car.

Agree, the front looks too friendly. The 991.1 face was not perfect, but at least looked more aggressive.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

4trac:
    pmarkow:
    KresoF1:

Btw, heard some pretty strange rumor that we will get almost all info next week (new issue of AMS maybe?) and that only CS models will be introduced at IAA. C4 and Turbo at the end of the year. If so, this is beyond stupid from Porsche.

i hear turbos will be presented in december with march/april deliveries starting.

peter

Which turbos, since they all are turbo now?  And if .2 rollout is advanced, any idea when they will cut off 991.1 orders? 

i mean the equivalent 991.1. turbo and turbo S.

peter

I think the front looks good. More balanced and "finished". The tear looks okay, although I'm not a huge fan of the new grill.

No 911 has ever looked aggressive in my opinion, regardless of how many wings, spoilers or airvents you throw at it. It remains a "friendly", non-offensive design, which I always thought was the reason why it appeals to so many people all over the world, male and female. 

--

Suzy

To me this is not too tame:

This for me is too tame:

I also don't agree with the "more balanced" comment.  The 911 is a rear heavy car (both in design and weight) For me it needs a more pronounced front end (or deeper spoiler) to balance out the overall design. I can still remember how the front of the 2.7 RS (with its spoiler) revolutionized the look of the standard 911. Perhaps it is because I was influenced by that experience, that I now take a dislike to dainty and fragile looking front ends.

Well, that's all subjective of course, but I certainly get your point. But none of those 911s in your pictures look aggressive in my opinion.

I think the understated look is one of the 911's strongest points, especially in the more conservative markets. And this "new" facelifted 991 looks more understated than ever (which is probably why I like it). Porsche knows their markets very well, so I guess this is also what most people want. 

--

Suzy

I completely agree. It's all subjective.

I don't really need aggressive. I just don't like tame....after all the 911 is supposed to be a proper "sportscar". I don't want it looking tamer than a  Miata. Just my view.

I think part of the issue that I have with this front is the visual effect the plastic spoiler has in "reducing" the size of the front end. I suspect that if it was part of the car, I would not have such a strong reaction to this front end.

Spyderidol:

I think part of the issue that I have with this front is the visual effect the plastic spoiler has in "reducing" the size of the front end. I suspect that if it was part of the car, I would not have such a strong reaction to this front end.

I'm pretty sure that will be optional. Both as a stand-alone option or as part of the painted exterior package. After all, it's Porsche. How else can they get a 10 page option list!? Smiley

--

Suzy

Indeed!wink

There is always the  choice of the Sports Front Bumper which gives the front a more aggressive and sporty appearance. Compare the front of the normal 991.1 and the GTS model (that has the sports apron as standard) to see the difference.

I wonder if the pronounced front lower lip in the picture is standard or part of the Sport Chassis or some type of active aerodymanics like on the Turbo

--

"Form follows function"

I'm not sure it is "active" but it will certainly be very influential on the aerodynamics. I have no doubt this front end has been "worked" on  in the new wind tunnel. It will no doubt be very effective.

whats with the wannabe F1 style front ? Porsche is jumping on that bandwagon after others have been doing it for years.

Looks stupid imo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

F1 as in Formula One racing? I don't see it

--

"Form follows function"

What about the intercooler ? front mount style ? or upfront where the side radiators are ?

Leawood911:

What RC needs to do is bolt a backseat into a GT3. What is that, a one hour job?  But seriously. Do it. I know it's certainly going to be highly illegal  in an imaginary German way  

It is highly illegal, you basically lose insurance coverage. Not a clever thing to do... Smiley

Porsche is basically calling bullshit saying that if you want a backseat you don't need something as sporty as a GT3. And if you think about it a high speed crash for a 911 backseat passenger would be horrific regardless of who installed the backseat. 

True, Porsche could easily offer a GT3-type car with backseats but they don't. Well, I haven't given up my hope yet. Smiley

The fact is all engines should be gt3 engines in various tunes and displacement. Spend some money where it matters. Making them all the same is bound to save some money. In the air cooled days this was the case and everyone got a dry sump Mezger motor that could race on any track.  Engines could be rebuild and modified. Now they are now even visible. Ashamed is my guess. 

With the new turbo engines, the times for high revving n/a engines are over...until Porsche finds a solution to bring back n/a engines and satisfying new emissions/noise regulations at the same time. Tough one.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wonderbar:

RC, I can understand your frustration with Porsche not offering the car you desire.  But I look at your frustration not as an indictment of Porsche or of you wanting the "perfect car" , but as a compliment to you always seeking improvement.  Being dissatisfied and looking for improvements are characteristics of an entrepreneur.  To exaggerate a bit, what if space engineers were satisfied with photos of the moon?  We less talented and less adventuresome folk would never be able to marvel at the wonder of outer space, at photos of Pluto.  

And what if you and others had been satisfied with reading car magazine reviews?  There would have been no Rennteam.

I admire your entrepreneurial restlessness…  

Sydney, I always admired your (very) positive thinking but at some point, my disappointment will be so strong that I actually risk the cut. I am very (more than I though) happy with my 991 C4 GTS Cab but I also have the Shelby for some Autobahn runs. It would be perfect to have both in one package, great fun and great Autobahn performance. I am not asking for 500 hp in the C4 GTS but a nice detuned 460 hp GT3 engine wouldn't have hurt. Smiley You get my point.

Today, I am driving a Macan Diesel S. Feels more powerful and fast than it actually is, very nice car for the city, especially as a daily commuter (8.5 l / 100 km average consumption, which is good). However, this car is boring as hell, it actually feels (almost) like my wife's Macan Turbo but luckily, my wife's car has the air suspension which apparently makes the Macan feel lighter and more nimble. The biggest problem of the Macan is the engine in my opinion. Just imagine a Macan GTS with that V8 engine from the Cayenne.1 GTS. I get a huge smile on my face just thinking about it.

Porsche needs to be aware that they are not selling ordinary high volume cars, they are selling a reputation and sometimes even dreams. I understand that they cannot take care of the three percenters all the time but if they can make cars like the GT3/GT3 RS, the GT4 and the Boxster Spyder, they can also do something else. Time to rethink the strategy, Porsche.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC, life is full of surprises.  And though I have no "inside" information, over the years I have always placed my bets on Porsche.

I seriously fell out of love with Porsche in the 1980's.  But now I am really impressed again.  If only I could buy at least three more--a GT3 RS, a Turbo S and a Boxster Spyder.  Then I would wave to everyone from Heaven...

Wonderbar:

RC, life is full of surprises.  And though I have no "inside" information, over the years I have always placed my bets on Porsche.

I seriously fell out of love with Porsche in the 1980's.  But now I am really impressed again.  If only I could buy at least three more--a GT3 RS, a Turbo S and a Boxster Spyder.  Then I would wave to everyone from Heaven...

These two would be on my shopping list as well, maybe Porsche should offer some sort of discount for buyers of more Porsche or some sort of subscription model? Smiley

Btw: I did receive an offer from my McLaren dealer for a 650S Spider (price around 255k EUR). 1600 EUR per month (36 months, 10k km per year) and 50k EUR initial payment. If I had the possibility right now, I would try the 650S Spider for three years. Tempting (all prices incl. 19% VAT).

--

Like some guys said here, Porsche management knows what people want from them. Also, I am sure they wont offer car that RC wants (cabriolet with de-tuned GT3 engine) because they want to attract insanely wide group of people with cars for masses, and than from that wide group they know some people will be interested with time to buy something more hardcore and damn Porsche have very nice hardcore models to offer (GT3, GT3RS, GT4, 918). 

Porsche`s business model works as candy store. They attract you with nice little things that are sweet, but be sure they have sweeter things if you want them too smiley

P.S. Here is 991.2 with painted front spoiler 

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Saw a silver 991 turbo S cab yesterday and a woman was driving it. I never even heard the engine. It was a very boring sight. That's why Porsche looks are understated. Their audience is broad and want comfort. They don't cater to us 3% because we are a niche market. The only 911 I would vaguely consider would be a 911 AWD GTS with at least 440hp and close in driving fell to a GT3. Basically something as good as my California. But to be worth it it would have to come below $140k because of the current 911 huge depreciation else the California is still cheaper to own. And yet at the end of the day, the ownership experience of the California is in another league.

So basically Porsche has lost me as a 911 buyer. They lost me as a Cayenne buyer because the turbo versions are ridiculously priced for a car no better than the competition. The Panamera is even more ridiculously priced, has only 4 seats and is boring to drive. The Cayman is a joke pricewise vs the Boxster and the Boxster doesn't appeal to me anymore (I owned one 15 years ago and moved on). The only car left is the Macan turbo which I already own. It could use a little more hp and maybe PDCC. But at least it is priced correctly.

Milanno:

Like some guys said here, Porsche management knows what people want from them. Also, I am sure they wont offer car that RC wants (cabriolet with de-tuned GT3 engine) because they want to attract insanely wide group of people with cars for masses, and than from that wide group they know some people will be interested with time to buy something more hardcore and damn Porsche have very nice hardcore models to offer (GT3, GT3RS, GT4, 918). 

Porsche`s business model works as candy store. They attract you with nice little things that are sweet, but be sure they have sweeter things if you want them too smiley

P.S. Here is 991.2 with painted front spoiler 

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Much,much better. Thank you.

RC:
    Wonderbar:

These two would be on my shopping list as well, maybe Porsche should offer some sort of discount for buyers of more Porsche or some sort of subscription model? Smiley

Btw: I did receive an offer from my McLaren dealer for a 650S Spider (price around 255k EUR). 1600 EUR per month (36 months, 10k km per year) and 50k EUR initial payment. If I had the possibility right now, I would try the 650S Spider for three years. Tempting (all prices incl. 19% VAT).
    --

So 100EUR a day to have a 650S Spyder for 3 years. Not too bad when  you think of it that way but I would be interested in seeing what the balloon is at the end (even though you wouldn't do it).

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I agree that taste regarding the "face" of the car is very subjective.  I like it, but I'm not thrilled with the new style like I was when the .2 997 came out.  I've seen the center grill in "vee" style many time recently (feels especially cayman to me) and I'm not so fond of it.  The overall design is okay as a whole though I think.  At least they have resolved the overhang in the outside edge of the turn signals, which added to the aggressiveness of the .1, but looked a little unfinished to me.

Perhaps the .2 turbo/GT models will be more aggressive, and the whole line will make a lot of sense that way...?

So what's the price hike going to be since the only change I can notice is a new bumperSmiley

Italo:

So what's the price hike going to be since the only change I can notice is a new bumperSmiley

Just a couple percent, afaik.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1507-deep-dive-the-2016-porsche-911-enters-the-all-turbo-era/

hope it's not a repost angry

sounds very, very promising... if true.

cheers

RS 991:

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1507-deep-dive-the-2016-porsche-911-enters-the-all-turbo-era/

cheers

what precisely sound promising to you in this?

peter

Mithras:
    RC:
    Wonderbar:

--

So 100EUR a day to have a 650S Spyder for 3 years. Not too bad when  you think of it that way but I would be interested in seeing what the balloon is at the end (even though you wouldn't do it).

Not sure I understand what you mean. This is a mileage lease, meaning there is no risk with residual value or whatever. You drive 10k km per year and after 36 months, you leave the car and the keys at the dealer and you're done. No hidden cost. So could you please explain what you mean? Smiley

--

pmarkow:
    RS 991:

cheers

what precisely sound promising to you in this?

peter

I think he is referring to that 8-cyl. 5.0 l Boxer(?) engine and to the hybrid versions of the next 911.

This weekend, I was on a short trip to Austria and there was a nice M4 Cab in our hotel. He drove off slowly and the car sounded very much like my wife's Macan Turbo without(!) PSE and when he fully accelerated, my son said that it clearly sounds worse than the Macan Turbo with PSE turned on. I couldn't agree more, what a disappointment. Funny enough, the M4 Cab sounded OK (deep growl) at very low rpm but when he fully accelerated, it sounded like a sound proof fart. Smiley Smiley The new 991.2 Carrera won't be much different. There is a growl in the lower rpm range, there is a louder noise in the mid and higher rev range and there is that vacuum cleaner sound in the higher rev range. Very generic, if you close your eyes, you could actually suspect any other car.

I heard the new M3/M4 on many occasions before, even from the inside with that loudspeaker amplification of engine sound but it disappoints over and over again. Why should the 991.2 facelift be much different?

I am a huge 911 Turbo fan but with the latest generation, Porsche kind of wrecked my opinion about this car. Maybe I want a different Turbo than others but for me, the 911 Turbo just isn't attractive anymore and with almost all 911 actually becoming Turbos, I doubt that this will help the 911 Turbo further. Yes, Porsche will make the next gen 911 Turbo more flashy and more special but in the end, the engines are basically the same. Smiley Huge disappointment.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776005 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441055 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262407 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260595 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84977 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880090 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815093 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM