Slalom 18m: 73,7 km/h

Braking 100-0 (Cold / Warm): 36,0m / 31,3m

Weight: 1,461 kg

Tire(s): Michelin PS Cup2
    F/R: 265/35/20 - 325/30/21

Power Output: 495 PS / 444 Nm

Re: Supertest 991 GT3 RS

7:28 with speed limit is pretty good.

Hockenheim may be a tiny bit disappointing though. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I wanted to post this pretty shocking results as well. This Supertest rised more questions about latest GT models and their true merits. 

Hockenheim time is bad. Car is not any faster then 991 Turbo S. Acceleration times are almosr the same as on 991 GT3. 

I was like a parrot talking that 991 GT3 is the best deal from Porsche. Many here claimed that RS will wipe out the floor with 991 GT3. Well... 991 GT3 RS is not worth its price, especially in comparison with 991 GT3.

Do they mention why there was a "speed limit" Smiley Hopefully not due to reliability issues of the engine...

I won't write anything because I could pissed out somebody... 

991 GT3 RS achieved 7.32min time and 7.28min is actually a "projected" time never achieved.

Car was in some kind of safety mode due to... angry

I heard first hand about some issues but, my lips are sealed.

KresoF1:

991 GT3 RS achieved 7.32min time and 7.28min is actually a "projected" time never achieved.

They should have delayed the Supertest then. That does not sound good Smiley

RC:

7:28 with speed limit is pretty good.

Hockenheim may be a tiny bit disappointing though.

Hockenheim time doesn't seem so bad.  It's 1.0s faster than GT3 which is almost double the gap from GT3 to the GT4 (0.6s).  Small time differences are the norm on such a short course.  I'm not sure HHR is fast enough to let the downforce work to its best advantage on the RS.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/hockenheim_short.html

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

In Hockenheim is not so slow...is 0.10 behind the GT2RS,one second flat less to 997 4.0.Smiley

speed limit at the Ring is not due to the accident of last month?if i'm not wrong they deleted the SL last week,And the SuperTest is not of last week.

To me seems not too shocking...broken heart but you know i can't see bad thing in this car.wink

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

As usually we have here some self declared experts. Regarding the speed limit, it is due to a new regulation of the management of Nuerburgring, some parts are limited to 200 km/h and Doettinger to 250 km/h.

--

AM
    www.aldo-yachting.de

MKSGR:

Do they mention why there was a "speed limit" Smiley Hopefully not due to reliability issues of the engine...

There is a speed limit at the Ring imposed due to the accident that occurred during a VLN race and killed a spectator.

Apparently they will flatten some crests and insert a chicane in order to eventually remove the speed limits.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/fatal-accident-in-nurburgring-vln-race.html

Spyderidol:
    MKSGR:

There is a speed limit at the Ring imposed due to the accident that occurred during a VLN race and killed a spectator.

Apparently they will flatten some crests and insert a chicane in order to eventually remove the speed limits.

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/fatal-accident-in-nurburgring-vln-race.html

Many thanks for the info Smiley

For a car that was in safety mode with track Speed Limit Sounds GREAT to me indecision - if they really had Problems with the car I don't get the published results...yes

KresoF1:

lol, brilliant time for a car in safety mode and with speed limits I'd say! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

ALDO:

As usually we have here some self declared experts. Regarding the speed limit, it is due to a new regulation of the management of Nuerburgring, some parts are limited to 200 km/h and Doettinger to 250 km/h.

Smiley We have discussed this even in a separate thread, I thought this is common knowledge.

So yes, the Nordschleife time for the GT3 RS looks OK but the Hockenheim time, not so much I'm afraid. 

However, would that really be a problem for the GT3 RS? I doubt it. It is a very very fast car, period.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

At first sight these times are a bit disappointing , but .....

1 s faster on Hockenheim then 997 4.0 is pretty good and on that short track it is very difficult to improve times .

The N'Ring time would need to be redone . The speed limit does change the way one drives, even if they ' calculated'  4 s for that + I don't know exactly what the safe mode was doing to the car ... and why it was on ??

The test looks like it should of been canceled , but then why did they publish it ?  Needed something to put in their paper ? 

The 495 HP are more worrying . AP had hinted it was around 510 HP 

I am not worried. The RS is much more then then just a '' better time or not '' . Of course the GT3 is the better deal, we all know that , so is the Turbo vs the TurboS  , but one buys the RS also for the ' object ' it is , for the carbon front wings and hood, the magnesium roof , the look , etc....  And end price will always be determined once the car is sold again .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

There is no reason whatsoever to be worried with the GT3 RS. It is a wonderful car and I would get one in a heartbeat, I said it many times before. I just wish my bank account would agree with me. angry yes

--

Gnil:

[...] The RS is much more then then just a '' better time or not '' . Of course the GT3 is the better deal, we all know that , so is the Turbo vs the TurboS  , but one buys the RS also for the ' object ' it is , for the carbon front wings and hood, the magnesium roof , the look , etc....  And end price will always be determined once the car is sold again .

--

Exactly. I don't get the number comparison and the talk about its higher price over the GT3. Even if the car is only marginally quicker than the GT3, it is still quicker, and it's an RS, which means Better material, a tighter link to motorsport and better resale value.  

There are other cheaper cars than a GT3 that are just as quick on a race track...and yet, to most of us here, the GT3 is the superior car...which it clearly is of course Smiley... same thinking applies to the RS vs the GT3.

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Porker:
    KresoF1:

lol, brilliant time for a car in safety mode and with speed limits I'd say! Smiley

Ok, some members apparently missunderstud my post.

I will piss somebody since I think that SL on the Ring is kind of a stupid thing.

Car was in some kind of safety mode due to the stupid SL. 

CG had some issues with SL and 991 GT3 RS is a brilliant sportscar clearly capable of 7.28min lap or even marginally faster then that. All members here that were able to order 991 GT3 RS will get most probably the best drivers sportscar currently on the market.

Sport Auto Supertest Ring times will have little significane with SL since we will have "projected" times. Sport Auto stuff is well aware of this issues.

All clear know? Or not...?

KresoF1:
    Porker:
    KresoF1:

Ok, some members apparently missunderstud my post.

I will piss somebody since I think that SL on the Ring is kind of a stupid thing.

Car was in some kind of safety mode due to the stupid SL. 

CG had some issues with SL and 991 GT3 RS is a brilliant sportscar clearly capable of 7.28min lap or even marginally faster then that. All members here that were able to order 991 GT3 RS will get most probably the best drivers sportscar currently on the market.

Sport Auto Supertest Ring times will have little significane with SL since we will have "projected" times. Sport Auto stuff is well aware of this issues.

All clear know? Or not...?

now it runs Kreso,i understand totally different things beforeSmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

KresoF1:

I fully agree . They need to change track for the tests or re-do all the tests with the older cars . But having the speed limit  makes a lap difficult . Do you suddenly brake at the point of the limit, do you slowly bring your speed down , and then you need to concentrate on not braking the speed limit ....... Does not make much sense Smiley

--

Since SA have a lot of data of cars with similar power, they can calculate the delta by overlapping the acceleration/speeds in the analyzing software of their dataloggers. 

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Does it really matter? People (and especially owners but also fans) usually believe what they want, so...  

--

RC:

Does it really matter? People (and especially owners but also fans) usually believe what they want, so...  

this is so true.....Smiley 21

peter

All these RS pictures with silver wheels make me wish I had ordered the no-cost silver wheels for my GT4.  Getting kind of tired of black / grey wheels.  

vantagesc:

All these RS pictures with silver wheels make me wish I had ordered the no-cost silver wheels for my GT4.  Getting kind of tired of black / grey wheels.  

Don't worry about it - you can always change the finish later and use something more durable than the factory finish as well.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

SA Super test 2013 showed GT3 (RS in brackets)

0-100 = 3.6 (3.6)

0-200 = 11.9 (11.6)

Ring = 7.32 (7.28 extrapolated)

Porsche can flash the ECU for SA so teh car is limited to 250 kmph. Means no need to anticipate just drive till it stops accelerating. I think this is only one particular area of the ring.

Looking at the SA traces around Hock for both cars (2013 & 2015) I was suprised to see the GT3 carrys more exit speed in a number of places than teh RS but the RS carrys more G than the GT3 in the majority of corners and of course it reachesa higher vMax down the  straights before braking again. This would tend to suggest only half of the improved performance over the GT3 is coming from the engine and the other half from the larger contact patch and aero. The Aero does not seem to give as much advantahe at the Ring or Hock as I would imagine. I personally believe the geometry and tyre sizes are making more difference than teh engine and the aro from the data that SA have presented...

One other point. I do not read German, but Ive been told there is mention of differences in temperature having possible effect. The GT3 was tested on the Ring and Hock at 15 & 17 Celcius and the RS at 17 and 22 Celcius. Mind you in reality every SA test has different temps and barametric pressure....

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 991 GT3, 1994 993C2 6spd RS spec, 2016 Cayman GT4 (on order)

macca993:

SA Super test 2013 showed GT3 (RS in brackets)

0-100 = 3.6 (3.6)

0-200 = 11.9 (11.6)

Ring = 7.32 (7.28 extrapolated)

Porsche can flash the ECU for SA so teh car is limited to 250 kmph. Means no need to anticipate just drive till it stops accelerating. I think this is only one particular area of the ring.

Looking at the SA traces around Hock for both cars (2013 & 2015) I was suprised to see the GT3 carrys more exit speed in a number of places than teh RS but the RS carrys more G than the GT3 in the majority of corners and of course it reachesa higher vMax down the  straights before braking again. This would tend to suggest only half of the improved performance over the GT3 is coming from the engine and the other half from the larger contact patch and aero. The Aero does not seem to give as much advantahe at the Ring or Hock as I would imagine. I personally believe the geometry and tyre sizes are making more difference than teh engine and the aro from the data that SA have presented...

One other point. I do not read German, but Ive been told there is mention of differences in temperature having possible effect. The GT3 was tested on the Ring and Hock at 15 & 17 Celcius and the RS at 17 and 22 Celcius. Mind you in reality every SA test has different temps and barametric pressure....

the numbers have no real-world significance for 99% of the buyers. isn't it all about how a car makes you feel?

peter

Totally agree Peter. However the GT series cars have always been numbers cars even if most of us can never come close to replicating the numbers.

The changes to the RS over the GT3 are significant (larger discplacement engine, 3 x the downforce, exotic materials, wider/larger hweels/tyres etc). I have not driven the new RS to determine how the car makes me feel. I can only go on extensive seat time in GT3, cosmetics, and the numbers that have been presented. 

Whereas the number for the GT4 have beaten my expectations the numbers for the RS have not. Cosmetically neither looks as good as a GT3 IMO. However until I get my GT4 I cant answer which makes me feel better.

All of this is academic and hyperbole at this point. 

On a different subject, what did you decide in the end? F488, F458 Speciale or 991 GT3 or 991 GT3RS?

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 991 GT3, 1994 993C2 6spd RS spec, 2016 Cayman GT4 (on order)

macca993:

Totally agree Peter. However the GT series cars have always been numbers cars even if most of us can never come close to replicating the numbers.

I agree - also, one can expect some additional performance for the extra 50k the GT3RS is over the GT3...

I am disappointed Smiley

macca993:

The changes to the RS over the GT3 are significant (larger discplacement engine, 3 x the downforce, exotic materials, wider/larger hweels/tyres etc). I have not driven the new RS to determine how the car makes me feel. I can only go on extensive seat time in GT3, cosmetics, and the numbers that have been presented. 

Whereas the number for the GT4 have beaten my expectations the numbers for the RS have not. Cosmetically neither looks as good as a GT3 IMO. However until I get my GT4 I cant answer which makes me feel better.

All of this is academic and hyperbole at this point. 

On a different subject, what did you decide in the end? F488, F458 Speciale or 991 GT3 or 991 GT3RS?

hi mark,

i agree with you, it is fun to talk numbers but once in a while we have to take a reality check, don't we? in the end all those cars make one feel good....

on my side: i have turned down the GT3 since in less than two years there will be a 991.2 GT3 NA anyway....so it feels a  bit late to jump on the bandwagon. same holds for the 458 speciale. here is my list of preferences with comments:

1)ferrari F12 GTO (or VS): clearly on top of my list but only 25% chance that ferrari sells it to me. but working on it from all sides...

2)GT3 RS: very debatable but at least no great depreciation. (991.2 GT3 RS NA in about three years). anyway, also unlikely since i can't round up a car at list price (so far, maybe PAG will do the same as with the GT3, i.e. topping up the numbers at the end of the cycle)

3) most likely option Ferrari 488 GTB: leaves me rather cold despite of it all but the dealer promises a great part exchange deal when the 488 special version comes in 2-3 years.

the GT4 will make you feel great, i have no doubts.

peter

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM