Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster - 987 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 1.6l 4 cilinder Boxster

Sorry RC - deleted my post to reword it but you beat me to it! Smiley

My spec would have been reasonably basic, white, PDK, no sunroof or PCCB, black leather (so SWMBO gets her electrically adjustable non-sport plus seats, not available with alcantara sadly), Bose and a few bits of trim. Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

RC:
    bluelines:

Ahahaha! Can we please rename this forum to Grumpyteam

I listened to that in my headphones and I heard a great sound. Not unlike a Subaru but with a Porsche character to it.

No Gnil, I am not selling my GT4 indecision

You will be disappointed, same goes to the 991.2 facelift.

It sounds loud in the video and the car is revving very high, something you usually don't do on normal roads.

So the normal rev range on the street is around 2000-5000 rpm and in this range, you barely hear anything from these engines, just wait and see. Highly disappointing but as someone said...it is the future. Smiley

No way near as disappointed as you will be once the first 991.2 or maybe even 981.2 pulls away from your GTS on autobahn smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

I listened to that in my headphones and I heard a great sound. Not unlike a Subaru but with a Porsche character to it.

It sounds loud in the video and the car is revving very high, something you usually don't do on normal roads.

So the normal rev range on the street is around 2000-5000 rpm and in this range, you barely hear anything from these engines, just wait and see. Highly disappointing but as someone said...it is the future. Smiley

No way near as disappointed as you will be once the first 991.2 or maybe even 981.2 pulls away from your GTS on autobahn smiley

RC will use his "Yank-Tank" for boy-racer routines on the autobahn Smiley

--

dreamcar:

LOL. That's a new one! Smiley

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

Would you believe me if I say I don't care? I didn't care when that RS5 Cab was breathing down my neck, even if I was slightly faster. I barely drive on the Autobahn (maybe once per month maybe) and my Autobahn car is the Shelby. Still enjoying that look on the M5's drivers face when I pulled away like nothing from 160 kph. Up to 290 kph, my Shelby is almost unbeatable, 6 seconds flat from 100 to 200 kph and due to some serious cooling system improvements, there is basically no heat soak at very high temperatures, making the performance difference vs. normal cars even more extreme.

How do you feel when I pull away in my US Ford from your GT4 on the Autobahn? Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

JoeRockhead:
    dreamcar:

LOL. That's a new one! Smiley

Yank-Tank...good one. Smiley

I call the Shelby the SnakeSmiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

I call the Shelby the SnakeSmiley

Sidewinder? Smiley

--

KresoF1:
    bluelines:

Don't bother listening to it unless you use high quality headphones. Smartphone and computer speakers cannot reproduce the low frequency rumble. Yes, otherwise you only hear high frequency tire and wind noise  

Absolutely agree. In fact not sounding that bad after all.

European sports cars  are sounding more and more like " cruder " American OHV muscle car motors of the past 50 yrs:  " low frequency rumbles " vs " refined " NA OHC sharply metallic  high pitched screaming as the rpms rise ...now going away due to firstly increasing displacements as they have gotten heavier over the years and now the unavoidable physics of turbo attenuation 

the hopeful comments like  " just needs an aftermarket exhaust " on the F boards regarding the 488 turbo are futile ...hasn't helped the 911 Turbo ...where aftermarket cans just make it  throatier and mainly  louder but no where near racer sounding like a GT3 .......nor has F1 racing ,  the most technical cars in the world with unlimited resources been able to " engineer " an audience pleasing sound to address one of the main reasons TV viewing of it races  is down the past 2 seasons 

Aftermarket exhausts cannot really deliver lately, especially with turbo charged cars. I haven't heard any good sounding Turbo S aftermarket exhaust yet but one (I won't say which one because it actually delivered over 20 hp less on the dyno according to someone who should know it ), so it seems that the VTG chargers aren't easy to deal with when it comes to a good exhaust sound.

I have the best of both worlds...a V8 (ok, maybe a bit muted by the supercharger but not really) in my Shelby and that screaming 6-cyl. Boxer in my 991 GTS. Now I would love to add the Audi R8 V10 Plus and maybe a 458 Speciale to the mix and it would be perfect. The crown would probably be an Aventador or the F12. 

Adding a G63 AMG as a family car would be the icing on the cake.

Without the proper sound, a sports car (or even a family SUV) is boring. I realized this way too late, it could have saved me tons of money.

--

Supercharged cars can sound wonderful if you can hear the amazing compressor whine under load - as you can more in some than others. Smiley

--

dreamcar:

Supercharged cars can sound wonderful if you can hear the amazing compressor whine under load - as you can more in some than others. Smiley

Smiley.

--

RC:

...it seems that the VTG chargers aren't easy to deal with when it comes to a good exhaust sound.

Did you hear the Cargraphic exhaust for the turbo? I had this on my turbo and it sounded fantastic. Very aggressive, similar to PSE but with a nice turbine sound mixed in Smiley

--

I've misplaced the link, but I found an article that said the 1.6 was being dropped and the remaining flat fours were

2.0  286 hp / 295 ft lbs and

2.5  360 hp / 347 ft lbs.    

Gladstone:

I've misplaced the link, but I found an article that said the 1.6 was being dropped and the remaining flat fours were

That is about 470Nm for the 2.5l angel If this is true, then the new 981.2 will move. Maybe even faster than the 991.1 Smiley

--

bluelines:
    RC:

...it seems that the VTG chargers aren't easy to deal with when it comes to a good exhaust sound.

Did you hear the Cargraphic exhaust for the turbo? I had this on my turbo and it sounded fantastic. Very aggressive, similar to PSE but with a nice turbine sound mixed in Smiley

What did I say about the complications with power loss and other stuff? Smiley

I love it when exhaust manufacturers claim a 20 hp power gain but they usually fail to mention at what rpm figure. Smiley

With a louder exhaust, the cars usually feel more powerful anyway, simply because it sounds more powerful. 

I had Cargraphic on my 997 Turbo as well but RUF adapted their software to it.

Also last but not least, Porsche voids the warranty for cars with third party exhausts. These cars are "blacklisted".

--

Gladstone:

The next gen Boxer and Cayman engines will bet at least 2.0 l engines, this is true but the discussion about an entry level model has never ended. Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

I love it when exhaust manufacturers claim a 20 hp power gain but they usually fail to mention at what rpm figure. Smiley

With a louder exhaust, the cars usually feel more powerful anyway, simply because it sounds more powerful. 

Also last but not least, Porsche voids the warranty for cars with third party exhausts. These cars are "blacklisted".

I can ensure you this car had no power loss at any rpm. Quite the opposite in fact Smiley I still have the dyno graph, but won't post it.

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    RC:

I can ensure you this car had no power loss at any rpm. Quite the opposite in fact Smiley I still have the dyno graph, but won't post it.

Engine dyno? Smiley Everything else is basically worthless and only good for before/after comparisons (if they are done correctly and under the same conditions like temperature, air pressure, etc.).

--

Do you always need to have the last word? Just out of curiosity.

wink

--

bluelines:

wink

What do you think? Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:

wink

I think you must have been trained by my wife....Smiley

--

bluelines:
    That is about 470Nm for the 2.5l angel If this is true, then the new 981.2 will move. Maybe even faster than the 991.1 Smiley

Yes, it will be faster where I live for sure and if you drive into the mountains...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

dreamcar:

significant heat soak -related ECU power cut back is the bane of superchargers, esp at the track in hot climes , isnt it ? 

MKW:
    dreamcar:

significant heat soak -related ECU power cut back is the bane of superchargers, esp at the track in hot climes , isnt it ?

Shouldn't be an issue in Northern Europe methinks Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Gladstone:

I still wouldn't be interested after the amazing sound of the Boxster GTS (flat six PSE). Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    RC:
    bluelines:

wink

Or outwitted by mine...  Smiley Smiley Well, I learned a thing or two from her. Smiley

--

RC:
    dreamcar:
    RC:
    bluelines:

wink

Or outwitted by mine...  Smiley Smiley Well, I learned a thing or two from herSmiley

Same here Smiley If I could find a Porsche which she was comfortable sitting in (that we could afford) all would be well with the world Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Gladstone:

Isn't that the same figures as for the new Audi RS3? I think that one has 367hp and generats 465Nm and that engine is 2.5L. So it is not that spectacular since the RS3 already is on the road with that spec.... Smiley

Yes, even 2 years ago the TT RS Plus had 360HP...
    But it is as always, from horsepower side Porsche is always down to the competitors.

I see hard times for the 981 (Boxster and even more the Cayman).
    Now Porsche has very similar engines to most of the competitior (4 cylinder Turbo).
    future TT RS and current RS3 -> 5 cylinders
    BMW M235i 6 cylinders ans much cheaper
    The coming M2 6 cylinders and 370HP for a price you hardly get a base Cayman but with performance figures near to the GT4. Ok clearly it will lack the feeling the GT4 provides, but many customes will not see that. But it will be a M car so better that the normal 2 or 4 series. For most of the people enough.

Lukas:
    bluelines:
    Gladstone:

Isn't that the same figures as for the new Audi RS3? I think that one has 367hp and generats 465Nm and that engine is 2.5L. So it is not that spectacular since the RS3 already is on the road with that spec.... Smiley

It is spectacular for the Boxster which weights about 200kg less than the Audi Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689469 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409163 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255710 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234973 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65517 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4645 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857930 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773978 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM