Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: XLF to X51 aftermarket possible?

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    ...So the X51 can beat the 997S but it will not walk away from 997S ...

Check, you are clearly contradicting yourself here. There is such instance as a slow walk .....keep walking
    Please take note that I have not at any time mentioned what happens from the 3rd gear henceforth, it is without a doubt that everyone agrees that a turbo will almost annihilate any Carrera S. Your neighbour's 996TT cab is probably underperforming.
    X51 is properly developed by Porsche with substantial hardware and software developments for the ultimate streetable naturally aspirated 911 with rear seats for the street. IMHO, it is definitely worth every penny spent.
    I presume the dreamers you are refering to are those that think that any lower cost aftermarket solution could better the 'peace of mind' option from Porsche....think again.

Slow walk, pulls away, whatever... we all know that the X51 package is more powerful than a non-equipped one, so what. Like many personal options with our 911's, one has to ask whether or not it's worth the price of admission. And that my friend is totally subjective, nothing more, nothing less. I think I speak for -at least some others, when I state that because we don't subscribe to your X51 theory doesn't make us "dreamers" ; realists, maybe, but not "dreamers" . For that matter, would it lessen our opinion if we were dreamers. Does that suggest that you have a pocket full of cash, therefore you're not a dreamer. Even, if that were the case, would it matter? Sorry, just don't understand you responses.
    I, personally, don't think there is a viable alternative to Porsche's fine performance package; e.g. the X51. I just plain and simply don't believe it is worth it. It SHOULD be standard on the S and the Carrera should have the S's power. However, I'm a dreamer, so don't pay any attention to my ramblings.

X51 = Porsche's way to squeeze more money out of people =
    So much spent, so little gained. That should wrap it up.

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Can you enlighten us which option offered by Porsche is actually worth its money at all in the first place...

I think the point here is that the price model for certain options are completely off. Take a Carrera 4S, add the options which are standard on the Turbo. Include X51 and your 4S will cost as much as the Turbo. The 4S will still not have the new all-wheel drive system, the Turbo panels, etc.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Slow walk, pulls away, whatever... we all know that the X51 package is more powerful than a non-equipped one, so what. Like many personal options with our 911's, one has to ask whether or not it's worth the price of admission. And that my friend is totally subjective, nothing more, nothing less. I think I speak for -at least some others, when I state that because we don't subscribe to your X51 theory doesn't make us "dreamers" ; realists, maybe, but not "dreamers" . For that matter, would it lessen our opinion if we were dreamers. Does that suggest that you have a pocket full of cash, therefore you're not a dreamer. Even, if that were the case, would it matter? Sorry, just don't understand you responses.

Thanks for the clarification about the 'dreamer' comment, and it should be directed at edz61. I don't understand his response either.

Quote:
    devo said:
    "I don't think there is a viable alternative to Porsche's fine performance package; e.g. the X51. I just plain and simply don't believe it is worth it. It SHOULD be standard on the S and the Carrera should have the S's power

It's not a viable alternative but it should be standard?? Nothing in this world is free. Good things are not free, free things are not necessarily good.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    X51 = Porsche's way to squeeze more money out of people =
    So much spent, so little gained. That should wrap it up.

Totally agreed To sum it up, all of us should be driving an entry level bone-stock basic Carrera 3.6l RWD only! ...because every other option is not worth it

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    bluelines said:
    ...okay, and in comparison with the GT3. The price is how much higher than a Carrera S with X51? The power increase?

Well, the GT3 is 6% more expensive than a Carrera S with X51 and no other options. However, some Carrera S options, like Sport Seats and Short Shifter are standard in the GT3. Thus you could argue that the difference is less than 6%.

The power is up 9% for the GT3 compared to a Carrera S with X51.

So for a marginally higher price you get 9% more power. Suddently X51 feels like a complete rip-off

I agree 100% X51 is not worth the money at all. You will still get blown away buy the GT3 and spend as much or more money and you are still driving a 997S but the GT3 is in a league of it's own period.

Price aside (indeed I agree X51 is rather expensive!!!) what made me plunge for the option is mostly the added torque.
    The GT3 is a very track biased car, on the open road, although the GT3 will be faster in the right hands, it won't be that much faster than a 997S, X51 or not.
    X51 and new GT3 actually have the same torque I believe.
    The Turbo is an another league, thanks to it's mid range ballistic torque.
    On a track, the GT3 is in another league.
    And that's why I went for X51 (along with sport chassis and other goodies), it's as good as it gets in terms of compromise, I still get all the sporty characteristics of a a RWD 911S with added grunt and character.
    Because it's all about character trust me.
    A lot of people only judge from numbers, true, 26 hp is not much compared to a standard S, but it's the character of the engine that's transformed, it feels much more racey passed 4500 rpm, usually, the downside is that you lose torque in the low revs but not only is it not the case, it's the opposite, you gain everywhere!
    Money aside, it's a no brainer, with respect to my needs of course.
    Again it's all about compromise, my car cost much more than a new GT3 so if that's what I wanted, I would have waited, but no, I wanted a 911 with 381 hp, 400 Nm of torque, bose, rear seats, street tyres, PSM, etc... Like I said, compromise!

Your judgement is purely based on hp/$ ratio and this is why a lot of us disagree with you.

Yes of course, if you base the judgement on personal perferences the story is different... then I would like a Carrera 4S with a GT3 engine

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Yes of course, if you base the judgement on personal perferences the story is different... then I would like a Carrera 4S with a GT3 engine

If Porsche ever offers a variant like that, many including me would buy it in a heartbeat ...a Carrera "997GT3 engine" only with all the luxury comforts and more ... irregardless of whether the price is worth the power increase or not

As always, Fanch has sum up the intrinsic benefits of the X51 all too well.

Recent discussion (X51 v 'regular' "S" ):
    http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=193510&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Thanks for the clarification about the 'dreamer' comment, and it should be directed at edz61. I don't understand his response either.

Quote:
    devo said:
    "I don't think there is a viable alternative to Porsche's fine performance package; e.g. the X51. I just plain and simply don't believe it is worth it. It SHOULD be standard on the S and the Carrera should have the S's power

It's not a viable alternative but it should be standard?? Nothing in this world is free. Good things are not free, free things are not necessarily good.

Exactly. What was confusing about the comment. I agree with you that I would choose Porsche's package, rather than any relative alternative. I still don't believe it's worth it. Hence, for the price gouging we all sustain, it shouldn't be an option.
    I'm sure a X51, PCCB 997S is a great car. Resale will greatly suffer, however, and it's too close to the obvious alternatives: GT3 or turbo. These cars will smoke the 997 and will sell well later. As far as good things not being free, and free things not being good; what does that have to do with it. I'll pay a premium for a premium product. But you have to stop somewhere. If it were 25k would it still be worth it to you, 30k, where does your buck stop?

For what it's worth-- around Christmas '05 I got a quote from Auto Palace Porsche dealer in Pittsburgh: full X51 pkg. installed for '06 997S (including PSE) for $21K.

Quote:
    devo said:
    As far as good things not being free, and free things not being good; what does that have to do with it. I'll pay a premium for a premium product. But you have to stop somewhere. If it were 25k would it still be worth it to you, 30k, where does your buck stop?

Well, recent posts have indicated that the demand for the X51 powerkit has outstripped its supply. IMO, this option has already shown relative success over the powerkit option for the type 996, Porsche clearly had not envisaged the surge in demand for the type 997 powerkit, hence the production delay. So it is clear that there are several fellow enthusiast who obviously do not mind the extra premium for its relative performance gain. This has proven itself as Porsche's premium product but there are people who wants it for free and complaining about its worthiness.
    Although most options will not retain much value upon resale, but they definitely are worth the pick over the regular model when it comes down to the crunch. Used cars with unauthorised aftermarket mods will have to take a backseat then.
    Eventhough the 997GT3 is relatively cheaper, I'd still buy the Carrera with maximum performance options for its everyday ease of drive and 'safety'.

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    devo said:
    As far as good things not being free, and free things not being good; what does that have to do with it. I'll pay a premium for a premium product. But you have to stop somewhere. If it were 25k would it still be worth it to you, 30k, where does your buck stop?

Well, recent posts have indicated that the demand for the X51 powerkit has outstripped its supply. IMO, this option has already shown relative success over the powerkit option for the type 996, Porsche clearly had not envisaged the surge in demand for the type 997 powerkit, hence the production delay. So it is clear that there are several fellow enthusiast who obviously do not mind the extra premium for its relative performance gain. This has proven itself as Porsche's premium product but there are people who wants it for free and complaining about its worthiness.
    Although most options will not retain much value upon resale, but they definitely are worth the pick over the regular model when it comes down to the crunch. Used cars with unauthorised aftermarket mods will have to take a backseat then.
    Eventhough the 997GT3 is relatively cheaper, I'd still buy the Carrera with maximum performance options for its everyday ease of drive and 'safety'.

Your posts are purely subjective and you don't address the question: What price point is to expensive for the option? For me it's far less than what P is demanding. You also use the reported fact that many buyers want the option therefore, it must be good.
    To say that buyers would pick an X51 equipped car (in the used car market) is silly; you'll get, maybe, a 20-30 % return on your money. Sure a used buyer would pick it, for a few thousand more; I would. Unfortunately, the resale on the option, well... SUCKS. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get it for yourself. You've mistaken my take on the subject. If it's worth it to you and you're not concerned about the resale, then you should have it and enjoy it. Whether or not demand exceeds supply is moot. That's a whole different subject. You can't take an arbitrary desire (X51), say that P can't manufacture enough and then say that the majority wants it; they're NOT the majority. Even if "they" were would that make you point more clear? Answer: NO.
    Part of my intial point was that (imo), for around 90k, a 997S should come standard with close to 400 h.p. Then, maybe have a X51 & PCCB option for about 15k, which would bring it to 431 h.p. ; now I'm really dreaming and got off my subject . (Obviously, the GT3 and turbo would have to retain their current advantage.)
    And, yet again, I adamantly believe that IF I were inclined to opt for the package, I'd certainly buy Porsche's X51 over any aftermarket tuner; just not at that price.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Your posts are purely subjective and you don't address the question: What price point is to expensive for the option? For me it's far less than what P is demanding. You also use the reported fact that many buyers want the option therefore, it must be good.
    To say that buyers would pick an X51 equipped car (in the used car market) is silly; you'll get, maybe, a 20-30 % return on your money. Sure a used buyer would pick it, for a few thousand more; I would. Unfortunately, the resale on the option, well... SUCKS. Doesn't mean you shouldn't get it for yourself. You've mistaken my take on the subject. If it's worth it to you and you're not concerned about the resale, then you should have it and enjoy it. Whether or not demand exceeds supply is moot. That's a whole different subject. You can't take an arbitrary desire (X51), say that P can't manufacture enough and then say that the majority wants it; they're NOT the majority. Even if "they" were would that make you point more clear? Answer: NO.
    Part of my intial point was that (imo), for around 90k, a 997S should come standard with close to 400 h.p. Then, maybe have a X51 & PCCB option for about 15k, which would bring it to 431 h.p. ; now I'm really dreaming and got off my subject . (Obviously, the GT3 and turbo would have to retain their current advantage.)
    And, yet again, I adamantly believe that IF I were inclined to opt for the package, I'd certainly buy Porsche's X51 over any aftermarket tuner; just not at that price.

Majority?? I'm sorry, I've never mentioned majority.
    I have stated the above as my personal opinion so I'm allowed some degree of subjectivity.
    OTOH, the desire for X51 is objective and real ..I believe it also achieves more peak torque than the 997GT3 albeit less overall average power and average torque.
    Each is a league of their own.

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Majority?? I'm sorry, I've never mentioned majority.
    I have stated the above as my personal opinion so I'm allowed some degree of subjectivity.
    OTOH, the desire for X51 is objective and real ..I believe it also achieves more peak torque than the 997GT3 albeit less overall average power and average torque.
    Each is a league of their own.

Yes it does achieve more torque, a whopping 6 or 7 ft lbs. or 11 ft. lbs more than the S. By the time it gets to the ground it's bearly realized. And, yes I am aware that the GT3, although, only 6 whole ft.lbs. less, achieves it at a higher rev than the almighly X51 !!! :; one word WOW . Priced per ft. lb. that pretty expensive toque at 17k for ALL those 11 ft.lbs. Well ver $1500.00 per ft lb .

Quote:
    devo said:
    Yes it does achieve more torque, a whopping 6 or 7 ft lbs. or 11 ft. lbs more than the S. By the time it gets to the ground it's bearly realized. And, yes I am aware that the GT3, although, only 6 whole ft.lbs. less, achieves it at a higher rev than the almighly X51 !!! :; one word WOW . Priced per ft. lb. that pretty expensive toque at 17k for ALL those 11 ft.lbs. Well ver $1500.00 per ft lb .

Well, only the fortunate few who are willing to pay for it shall get to own it
    The extra torque advantage is in the rpm range where its easily extractable and applicable in daily city commutes.

Quote:
    Avantgarde said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Well, only the fortunate few who are willing to pay for it shall get to own it
    The extra torque advantage is in the rpm range where its easily extractable and applicable in daily city commutes.

Could u add one more sleepy head. The few, the proud, the ...

This sounds very tempting. Maybe when bonuses get announced...

Quote:
    Fanch said:...A lot of people only judge from numbers, true, 26 hp is not much compared to a standard S, but it's the character of the engine that's transformed, it feels much more racey passed 4500 rpm, usually, the downside is that you lose torque in the low revs but not only is it not the case, it's the opposite, you gain everywhere!...

I agree 100% about how the X51 kit is transformed above 4500 rpm and has better torque throughout the power band and substantially better torque in certain areas of the power band. As far has power goes when the standard 997S is signing off (it produces maximum hp at 6600 rpm) the X51 kit continues to sing as it produces maximum hp at 7200 rpm. With PSE activated it is music to my ears.

Just an observation but every time I read one of these 997S vs. 997S w/X51 kit it's the same old song. Those that have the option and can speak with authority are satisfied with their choice and then those that don't have the option for whatever reason, price, taxes, value, resale etc, and can't speak with authority try to justify why they didn't get it.

One could say I am only justifying why I got the X51 option and that is a valid point, but I am glad I got it along with PCCB's as it makes for one sweet ride. I am certain that at trade in time the money lost will never outweigh the satisfaction and enjoyment of having owned the very best offered by Porsche at the time in a 2WD Carrera S.

jerrygee, I completely concur with your view of how those with and those without X51 debate this question.

I wish I could have afforded to add X51 and PCCBs to my car but I had to draw the line somewhere. I'm still absolutely thrilled with my car though.

I love the way nobody actually answered you original question Easy, and it just spiraled into a "is it worth it" discussion!

So the answer was of course: yes you can have X51 fitted for less if you already have PSE.

This (as I'm sure you'll remember Easy) was discussed on the below thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post282715

Personally I would be quite annoyed if I paid for a X51 retrofit now to find that later in the year a base 'S' facelift model would produce about as much power for a small price increase. Obviously though what you loose in trade-in depreciation would probably outweigh the cost of retrofitting X51.

Quote:
    jerrygee said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:...A lot of people only judge from numbers, true, 26 hp is not much compared to a standard S, but it's the character of the engine that's transformed, it feels much more racey passed 4500 rpm, usually, the downside is that you lose torque in the low revs but not only is it not the case, it's the opposite, you gain everywhere!...

I agree 100% about how the X51 kit is transformed above 4500 rpm and has better torque throughout the power band and substantially better torque in certain areas of the power band. As far has power goes when the standard 997S is signing off (it produces maximum hp at 6600 rpm) the X51 kit continues to sing as it produces maximum hp at 7200 rpm. With PSE activated it is music to my ears.

Just an observation but every time I read one of these 997S vs. 997S w/X51 kit it's the same old song. Those that have the option and can speak with authority are satisfied with their choice and then those that don't have the option for whatever reason, price, taxes, value, resale etc, and can't speak with authority try to justify why they didn't get it.

One could say I am only justifying why I got the X51 option and that is a valid point, but I am glad I got it along with PCCB's as it makes for one sweet ride. I am certain that at trade in time the money lost will never outweigh the satisfaction and enjoyment of having owned the very best offered by Porsche at the time in a 2WD Carrera S.

Sorry I do not agree. It is not about affording for some of us. You cannot rule out me as not having authority. I am a firm believer of aftermarket modifications. There is one for every taste. The sportiness you feel can easily be achieved with aftermarket mods as well. It does not mean you are faster. Seat of the pants feel can always change with the right touches.

I would rather give my business to other reputale companies rather than Porsche which is too much marketting oriented these days. (If you look at the Porsche sports car line up you'll see. It is too obvious. Given the absurd amount of money I paid for this car because of taxes, I could have gotten the X-51 and PSE but there is no way I will pay that money to a company who did not bother putting even a pair of decent headers for the sake of their marketting strategy. I am betting that the first thing that is changed in the facelift power bump will be these headers. We shall wait and see.

Thanks Alex (UK). Spot on as usual!

I managed to find out the answer subsequently. If you look at the current Tequipment 997 catalogue, there is a Part No for (1) X51 and (2) X51 for those with PSE already.

I entirely agree - I would feel pretty bad if a facelifted 997 (available I understand from MY09 i.e. Sept 2008 onwards) has the same performance as a MY05-07 with X51.

I guess the key difference would be this: although the facelifted 997 might even have similar hp figures (i.e. around 375-380hp), the extra torque of the X51 (particularly the much greater torque below 2500rpm) is something I would not expect the facelifted 997 to get.

As such, it's a unique product IMO.

As I've said before elsewhere, I wish I could have afforded to add X51 and PCCBs to my car (from the factory) but I had to draw the line somewhere. I'm still absolutely thrilled with my car though.

Maybe one day, I will add these 2 items since I intend to keep my 997S for a long time. They could be like giving it a new lease of life....no doubt, I'll need to convince my wife though!

As for what does and what doesn't constitute good value, there's no single answer. It will obviously vary from person to person.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    As for what does and what doesn't constitute good value, there's no single answer. It will obviously vary from person to person.

Nice!! This sums it all completely.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I guess the key difference would be this: although the facelifted 997 might even have similar hp figures (i.e. around 375-380hp), the extra torque of the X51 (particularly the much greater torque below 2500rpm) is something I would not expect the facelifted 997 to get.

As such, it's a unique product IMO

You don't think the introduction of Direct Injection will yield an equally proportional increase in Torque as it does BHP?

I don't know but I guess it's possible.

BTW, thanks for the link back to the X51 thread. That thread is fantastic...

Yes, you can do it. I wanted my 997S with the X51 from the factory but, at the time, my salesman told me they got a memo from Porsche that they were temporarily out of kits. I got my 997S with the PSE and bought the X51 afterwards from my local dealer. My parts salesman asked me wether or not I had the PSE which I told him I had and ordered the rest of the kit without the PSE. There is no need to pay for it again.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759202 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433559 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259663 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256801 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80523 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870534 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805461 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM