Crown

Forum - Thread

GT cars...the end of an era? (hint: think turbo)

Just heard today the most disturbing rumor ever: Apparently, Porsche plans to introduce turbo charged engines in the GT models as well and not in 10 or 20 years but...soon. The GT models will not stick to n/a engines!

More details:

1. Cayman GT4 was only a one time thing, there won't be a successor with n/a engine (don't know what this means for the rumored RS or Cup/Clubsport model).

2. Next generation GT3 gets a turbo charged engine, so do the RS models.

Again, this is a rumor, so please take it with a grain of salt but it comes from someone who always delivered quite accurate information.

Of course we all know that these turbo charged models will be faster than the current n/a engine models, there is no doubt about it but apparently a very drastic change has been initiated at Porsche and I'm not sure everyone will like it.

Please keep in mind this is a rumor but if there is some truth in it, we are going to hear this from other sources as well soon.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Re: GT cars...the end of an era? (hint: think turbo)

IMHO, Porsche should invest in hybrid technology, which is the future, and avoid a whole line-up of turbocharged 911 which devaluates their image more than already is. And of course maintaining a few n/a models, a blink to all the petrolheads out there, to their heritage and tradition, etc.

Completly wrong strategy imo.

That would make the GT4 an instant classic and a car that would become very thought after . 

The GT3/RS 991.1 would then also become special cars, but maybe a little bit less, as the last model would be the .2 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Here comes the next rumor: It seems that the GT3 RS was supposed to be a turbo charged model already but Piech personally intervened and said that this isn't possible (yet), customers would not accept it, so they switched development to a n/a engine basically in the last minute.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I think GTE-classes racing cars will turn turbo in the near future. If so, the GT road cars will have to be turbocharged too.

--

"Form follows function"

RC:

Just heard today the most disturbing rumor ever: Apparently, Porsche plans to introduce turbo charged engines in the GT models as well and not in 10 or 20 years but...soon. The GT models will not stick to n/a engines!

More details:

1. Cayman GT4 was only a one time thing, there won't be a successor with n/a engine (don't know what this means for the rumored RS or Cup/Clubsport model).

2. Next generation GT3 gets a turbo charged engine, so do the RS models.

Again, this is a rumor, so please take it with a grain of salt but it comes from someone who always delivered quite accurate information.

Of course we all know that these turbo charged models will be faster than the current n/a engine models, there is no doubt about it but apparently a very drastic change has been initiated at Porsche and I'm not sure everyone will like it.

Please keep in mind this is a rumor but if there is some truth in it, we are going to hear this from other sources as well soon.

This is not at all surprising considering that Porsche will need a Turbo engine car for homologation for GTE

RC:

Here comes the next rumor: It seems that the GT3 RS was supposed to be a turbo charged model already but Piech personally intervened and said that this isn't possible (yet), customers would not accept it, so they switched development to a n/a engine basically in the last minute.

Again not surprising. Porsche were supposed to come with a new RSR in 2016 but have pushed it back to 2017.

I was "fearing" this already a while hence my 991RS order - it would make total sense from a development Point of view but of course it will saden a lot of enthusiasts like me - Pneuniger always claimed the RS models "might be excempt" but I think too that there is Little Chance to queeze out dramatically more from a 3.8 or 4.0 Liter B6 - hence they have to go Turbo...- interesting times ahead (would also make sense from a noise 2016 regulatory Point of view)

BjoernB:

I was "fearing" this already a while hence my 991RS order - it would make total sense from a development Point of view but of course it will saden a lot of enthusiasts like me - Pneuniger always claimed the RS models "might be excempt" but I think too that there is Little Chance to queeze out dramatically more from a 3.8 or 4.0 Liter B6 - hence they have to go Turbo...- interesting times ahead (would also make sense from a noise 2016 regulatory Point of view)

Still thinking of getting a 991 GT3 RS.2 if it will be still a n/a model and if Porsche decides to make one.

--

I highly doubt it now....- even if you stretch the engine by another 20 or 30hp (which for Porsche is already a lot....sadly) how much of a change would it be towards Mk1 ? You would need lots of carbon or Magnesium Body panels to make a Impact which I doubt because of cost reasons.....I am actually now very convinced the current is the last NA RS.....

hence the relatively high production No of 2000......

BjoernB:

I highly doubt it now....- even if you stretch the engine by another 20 or 30hp (which for Porsche is already a lot....sadly) how much of a change would it be towards Mk1 ? You would need lots of carbon or Magnesium Body panels to make a Impact which I doubt because of cost reasons.....I am actually now very convinced the current is the last NA RS.....

Could be...but you never know. They have basically sold every single car they can make and I would be surprised if Porsche wouldn't milk this (cash) cow as long as possible. Smiley The 992 is still far away... Smiley

--

RC,

The rumors you have shared (and again, with you rumors eventually turn very often into true statement.....Smiley), is worrying me even more : I have the opportunity to buy again a 991 GT3 fully loaded and I was wondering if this would be a keeper.

It is definitively going into this direction, given the low number of cars produced ( approx1200), and adding the turbo /noise regulation rules into the loop.

I don't want to speculate and gain money with buyng again one, but at least keeping the same value or just a slight loss.

Knowing that all cars I have driven in between aren't satisfactory enough (458 in particular), I guess this is probably a reasonable (if it could be) choice....

What do you think honnestly ?

Rgds,

Thierry

--

997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

so this means I "must" buy a 981 Spyder AND keep my 7.2 GT3

No surprise at all. With Ferrari moving to turbo engines, it is only a matter of time for Porsche too...

Yeesh - PDK and Turbo engines, whatever next.   The spirit of GT is all but dead. enlightened

Deffo makes the 997.2 GT3/RS/4.0RS and GT4 all future classics for being the last of the line to have both a manual box and a n/a engine!

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

SciFrog:

No surprise at all. With Ferrari moving to turbo engines, it is only a matter of time for Porsche too...

This... everyone is moving that way pretty much.  No surprise at all that Porsche would do this.  

Adam2S:

Yeesh - PDK and Turbo engines, whatever next.   The spirit of GT is all but dead. enlightened

Deffo makes the 997.2 GT3/RS/4.0RS and GT4 all future classics for being the last of the line to have both a manual box and a n/a engine!

Yeah, I hope and expect some sort of NA Manual 991 swan song.  Christian - any more rumors of this - either with GT3 or X51 motor and emotional/sporty setup??

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

thierry:

RC,

The rumors you have shared (and again, with you rumors eventually turn very often into true statement.....Smiley), is worrying me even more : I have the opportunity to buy again a 991 GT3 fully loaded and I was wondering if this would be a keeper.

It is definitively going into this direction, given the low number of cars produced ( approx1200), and adding the turbo /noise regulation rules into the loop.

I don't want to speculate and gain money with buyng again one, but at least keeping the same value or just a slight loss.

Knowing that all cars I have driven in between aren't satisfactory enough (458 in particular), I guess this is probably a reasonable (if it could be) choice....

What do you think honnestly ?

Rgds,

Thierry

I do not want to speculate either, the rumors aren't alway 100% accurate and there is always the possibility that Porsche surprises us, especially when they have an occasion to make money. If you get a 991 GT3 at MSRP or better, why not? I doubt these cars will loose a lot of money but I also wouldn't buy them as some sort of investment. It is difficult to predict the future. Buy whatever pleases you. I have to admit that I regret not getting the 991 GT3 RS but I really didn't have the financial possibility this time because I really "needed" the 991 C4 GTS Cab, so I had no choice. I could still get the RS (I think) but I still don't have the money. Smiley Getting it and selling it is out of the question because it would very likely be an order stuck to my name. I do not want to abuse favors.

You need to know if the GT3 pleases you (you had one, right?), so I'm afraid I cannot be much of a help here.

--

Grant:
    Adam2S:

Yeah, I hope and expect some sort of NA Manual 991 swan song.  Christian - any more rumors of this - either with GT3 or X51 motor and emotional/sporty setup??

Nope. There is only that rumor about a 991 Carrera "RS" but this car wouldn't be a bargain, if it comes because of the lets say "unique" tech for a Carrera. I certainly would get a 991 GT3 RS right now if I could afford one. 

--

RC:
    Grant:
    Adam2S:

Nope. There is only that rumor about a 991 Carrera "RS" but this car wouldn't be a bargain, if it comes because of the lets say "unique" tech for a Carrera. I certainly would get a 991 GT3 RS right now if I could afford one.

Sounds from your rumors that the 991 Facelift GT3 and RS coming in a couple years will still be NA.  If one is resale value conscious, sounds like this would be the one to choose, even more than current RS.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Well, I can only say that my P source almost fully confirmed (well, not directly but, via clear hints) what Christian wrote.

Btw, regarding potential purchase of 991 GT3 I urge all of you interested to be very carefull. Finding a good used one in Porsche PZ offer is almost impossible. But, there are at least 5 new or almost new cars offered by so called "grey" dealers. Be carefull here and request VIN of the car that you are interested in. Also check the car in person if possible. Some of these 991 GT3s are not even in Germany. Some do not exist at all... Some are available in late autumn 2015. Be carefull. 

BjoernB:

- Pneuniger always claimed the RS models "might be excempt" 

AP is just another employee of  VWAG and ultimately serves the wishes of The Board, not " this board " , so " might " is career  cover for himself and is prob used in every successful auto exec's sentence structure from very early on 

Smiley

N/a engines from P and the others will be missed laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKueOLQVSP4

I understand the disappointment many here may have with turbos affecting exhaust note in a HUGE way.  Not much to be done about that...

But as far as performance goes, why not simply put super chargers on the GT units rather than turbos?  I know there's a big difference in response that way.  I am disappointed myself that the GT's won't be N/A, but I think most of us suspected that it was only a matter of time with emissions requirements always creeping up on us.

If the electrical inefficiency of a super charger is a concern, could they put an energy recovery system (electrical charger) on exhaust turbos, and then drive the fan with electric (super charger) off of the batteries?  It seems like the best of both worlds that way...

edit: biturbo, those cars in your link sound absolutely amazing...

KresoF1:

Well, I can only say that my P source almost fully confirmed (well, not directly but, via clear hints) what Christian wrote.

The thing to understand now is IF there will be a GT3/RS MK2 NA or not.

this is basic to understand "our" future...SmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Just put yr deposit down

BjoernB:

Just put yr deposit down

hahahahSmiley not anymore in my life...SmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691475 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256319 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235491 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65811 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4751 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858966 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775376 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM