Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Look at all these Orwellian features in new E-Class

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/07/2017-mercedes-benz-e-class-technology-feature-video/

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Re: Look at all these Orwellian features in new E-Class

Thanks... interesting read.

Just dont understand that "parking by smartphone" function. Where is the usage of a car which drives itself to the parking? yes I lived well without that.... never wished to have that function so far!

Lars997:

Just dont understand that "parking by smartphone" function. Where is the usage of a car which drives itself to the parking? yes I lived well without that.... never wished to have that function so far!

My wife would love that feature. Many people hate driving (my wife is one of them) and such a parking feature would be a god sent gift for people like her.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Lars997:

My wife would love that feature. Many people hate driving (my wife is one of them) and such a parking feature would be a god sent gift for people like her.

But you understand that this thing just simply drives the car into your garage.... means you leave the car in front of the garage and press the button. It is not the automatic park system we know from many other cars. 

Doesn't Tesla have something similar?

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Lars997:
    RC:
    Lars997:

But you understand that this thing just simply drives the car into your garage.... means you leave the car in front of the garage and press the button. It is not the automatic park system we know from many other cars. 

Well, apparently I should have read the whole article... Smiley 

I thought this is an autonomous parking system. Parking the car into our garage is not really an issue for my wife.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wonder how safe from hacking this is, especially considering how unsafe smartphones are in most people's hands. I'm all for tech features but not for the sake of having them, they have to be practical and useful otherwise they just create more opportunity for problems than benefit.

--

Carlos from Spain:

Wonder how safe from hacking this is, especially considering how unsafe smartphones are in most people's hands. I'm all for tech features but not for the sake of having them, they have to be practical and useful otherwise they just create more opportunity for problems than benefit.

You are making a very good point here. Automotive network security will be very important in future cars but I'm afraid, as always with car tech, the tech (incl. the security) will always be a step or two behind what is possible (at that time).

--

My guess is that it's no safer than existing systems, meaning not safe at all, and probably less so by counting points of entry. Researchers have been publishing exploits allowing them to take control of existing car systems for years, and as those systems become more complex and more connected, the number of possible exploits will only increase. The fact that, so far, auto makers seem unconcerned with security just makes it that much easier. But, anything that can be accessed physically or remotely can be hacked.

If I see that video and see that the car moves as long as you are swirling your iphone I question two things:

1. What connection is used: is it an Bluetooth connection than I'm very worried. As we all know it is unstable and can brake up any moment. Is it an WIFI or Internet connection - latency may be a problem. If I use remote locking on a BMW it takes 3 minutes until it reacts... that much regarding latency.

2. what happens if you use this functionality on a public road. Lets drive your car by itself 10 meters to the front? Does it only work in front of garages or does it work anywhere else, too?

The way I read it - it's a simple tool to get into a tight spot at home or some places where it's hard to get in/out of the car. (many of us surely remember putting cushions or a hanging Tennisball down to know how far you can go in yr own Garage) As to the security - that could be easily done over Bluetooth - simple if you loose Connection the car stops. Modern parking sensors are pretty accurate and although it surely is a "Gimmick" I find it rather cool and usefull

BjoernB:

The way I read it - it's a simple tool to get into a tight spot at home or some places where it's hard to get in/out of the car. (many of us surely remember putting cushions or a hanging Tennisball down to know how far you can go in yr own Garage) As to the security - that could be easily done over Bluetooth - simple if you loose Connection the car stops. Modern parking sensors are pretty accurate and although it surely is a "Gimmick" I find it rather cool and usefull

The problem is not to make sure the car gets out of control if the connection fails, this is easily doable. The problem is the connection per se, via Bluetooth. Of course this is kind of safer than some cars which may be accessible via WiFi because of the networked(?) WiFi hotspot they offer. Also, you do not really have to hack into the wireless connection per se but a MITM attack or using a trojan to access the user's device or something similar would be sufficient. 

I have no particular experience with CAN bus designs, etc. but a good friend has a nice and small bluetooth operated OBD dongle and it is quite impressive what he can do with this thing. Smiley

--

Lars997:

If I see that video and see that the car moves as long as you are swirling your iphone I question two things:

1. What connection is used: is it an Bluetooth connection than I'm very worried. As we all know it is unstable and can brake up any moment. Is it an WIFI or Internet connection - latency may be a problem. If I use remote locking on a BMW it takes 3 minutes until it reacts... that much regarding latency.

2. what happens if you use this functionality on a public road. Lets drive your car by itself 10 meters to the front? Does it only work in front of garages or does it work anywhere else, too?

Smiley Remote unlocking doesn't seem to take that long for car thieves who hack the BMW system?    Smiley

--

fritz

Lars997:

... 1. What connection is used: is it an Bluetooth connection than I'm very worried. As we all know it is unstable and can brake up any moment. Is it an WIFI or Internet connection - latency may be a problem. If I use remote locking on a BMW it takes 3 minutes until it reacts... that much regarding latency. ...

It is almost certainly Bluetooth since you have to be within 10 feet of your car. (Bluetooth's range is further than that, but perhaps limited by transmission through the body and windows, or perhaps an intentionally weakened signal for "security".)

fritz:
    Lars997:

Smiley Remote unlocking doesn't seem to take that long for car thieves who hack the BMW system?    Smiley

Well.... it goes by internet and yes - it takes really that long. BTW - my little Mini has the same system.... also 3 Minutes!

What, do they route the packets through Venus? I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long for thieves, although, that would act as a deterrent.

Most things on the Internet timeout in less than 3 minutes. This must be one hugely inefficient system they have setup to do this.

apias:

What, do they route the packets through Venus? I'm pretty sure it doesn't take that long for thieves, although, that would act as a deterrent.

Most things on the Internet timeout in less than 3 minutes. This must be one hugely inefficient system they have setup to do this.

It goes through satellite. That's not much of an excuse though, as I can order and receive programming over the Internet to my satellite service almost instantly. Same with Sirius in my... BMW. Smiley

Round trip to the Moon is ~2.7 seconds. Round trip to Venus is ~276 seconds, a bit longer than 3 minutes (OK, closer to 5), but that's why I picked it. Round trip to geostationary satellite is ~0.25 seconds.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762377 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435326 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260500 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257550 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872235 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807603 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM