Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 964 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design

It's a very light car, with tons of HP and a chassis tuning to match, so why not have a PDK so I can keep both hands one the whole and enjoy the car more? 

A PDK is really no different than a manual, the only difference being keeping both hands on the wheel and using the peddles to command up or down shift instead of letting go of the wheel and moving a stick, which also means slower shifting. It also free up the left foot for bracing in hard cornering, there is no down side.

Heck, fit it with a super fast rack and I don't even have to do hand over hand on the hairpin turns of the Alps. 

--

Whoopsy:

It's a very light car, with tons of HP and a chassis tuning to match, so why not have a PDK so I can keep both hands one the whole and enjoy the car more? 

SmileySmiley. I assume you are kidding, or are you spending too much time on track?

Ferdie:

Cray, how is your ownership experience so far? I mean, when it is not on display. indecision

Overall very good. A few rattles here and there that were fixed. With the advent of the Porsche Classic radio/ nav unit (https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/navi/) Singer now fits this to all new cars and has done away with the less than ideal tablet that the car originally came with so I am having  it retrofitted. It’s a bigger job than it may seem with plenty of “Singerisation” (and expense !) involved but should be much more practical. Mechanically the car was doing well till recently but its currently having some investigations on a too rich fuel injection mixture.Its a magnificent car with no equal in terms of what it has been designed to achieve.

crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

SmileySmiley. I assume you are kidding, or are you spending too much time on track?

SmileySmileySmiley

But I do know Rob is supposed to be working/planning on at least 1 car with PDK........it was a special request.

--

Mithras:
    Whoopsy:

If only Singers uses PDK.................

Then they will literally be perfect.

It would have to be Sport-o-Matic. Smiley

And PDK in that car would be heart wrenching and un-understandable. 

Wholeheartedly agree!  While I understand why some want a PDK, I have never found driving a manual, even in heavy traffic, a chore.  Yesterday, for example, I was caught in very heavy traffic where, due to road construction, merged down from three lanes to one.  It took me over fifteen minutes to travel a little over a kilometer.  The only problem, even with slight turbo lag, is that momentary spool up period where the gap between the car in front you widens slightly and someone attempts to squeeze into that rapidly disappearing two meter gap!

Whoopsy:
    crayphile:
    Whoopsy:

SmileySmileySmiley

But I do know Rob is supposed to be working/planning on at least 1 car with PDK........it was a special request.

Is Rob planning to test an *electric* Singer too? Despite the glorious Singer engine sound some of us customers are trapped in cities where we will have no option other than an EV at some point... An Electric Singer option would be nice, and the engine bay stitching would stay clean too ;)

boytronic:
    Is Rob planning to test an *electric* Singer too? Despite the glorious Singer engine sound some of us customers are trapped in cities where we will have no option other than an EV at some point... An Electric Singer option would be nice, and the engine bay stitching would stay clean too ;)

I doubt it very much!

Cool Singer video by Henry Catchpole

Love the color combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogsV9LbDgOM

BONES:

Cool Singer video by Henry Catchpole

Love the color combo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogsV9LbDgOM

Henry & Harry (and of course Chris Harris) produce great videos.

What I really like about Henry: he also writes great articles about cycling. Much more interesting than Harry’s farming stories

boytronic:

One of the interesting loopholes with Singer is that the car is still considered to be the Model Year of its underlying 964 Porsche (1989-1994).  So, I think it's very unlikely that they'll go electric (or even comply with regulations newer than 25 years old Smiley)

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

It’s a very loud car. After five minutes on a track, I would have an unbelievable headache. 

--

When you're going through hell.....keep going.

nberry:

It’s a very loud car. After five minutes on a track, I would have an unbelievable headache. 

It’s about the same noise level as your RS, with the factory option to make it quieter than your RS.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    nberry:

It’s about the same noise level as your RS, with the factory option to make it quieter than your RS.

--

Grant, did you watch the video with Singer race driver driving the car at Seca without commentary? MyRS doesn’t sound that loud or as unrefined. 

--

nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

--

Grant, did you watch the video with Singer race driver driving the car at Seca without commentary? MyRS doesn’t sound that loud or as unrefined. 

Unrefined? What is unrefined about a Singer? Smiley

I think you should consider a Continental GT, seriously, instead of Motorsport Porsches, no?

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

nberry:
    Grant:
    nberry:

--

There are several engines and several exhausts offered at Singer.  It's also difficult to make comparisons on video among cars without knowing where the microphone is placed and recording techniques.  If you wanted a quiet Singer, it could be ordered considerably quieter than your RS.  Have you ever driven a stock 993 - it's way quieter than your RS and this is an option (but not one I would choose).

--

I seek aggressive exhaust sound in my sport cars. It is an essential factor in the enjoyment of the car. However, when the cabin exhaust sound as as loud as the outside sound it can become irritating. For an example, I found the Stradale too loud in the cabin.

My reference to refined exhaust sound is whenever an exhaust has a raspy tinny sound it’s unrefined and doesn’t sound natural. 

--

nberry:

I seek aggressive exhaust sound in my sport cars. It is an essential factor in the enjoyment of the car. However, when the cabin exhaust sound as as loud as the outside sound it can become irritating. For an example, I found the Stradale too loud in the cabin.

My reference to refined exhaust sound is whenever an exhaust has a raspy tinny sound it’s unrefined and doesn’t sound natural. 

You can’t judge the tonal quality of any exhaust on the Internet...

--

nberry:

SmileySmileySmiley.

Hi Crayphile

Do you have inside info regarding DLS?

Cheers

pgouveia:

Hi Crayphile

Do you have inside info regarding DLS?

Cheers

It's still in development is all I know I am afraid. I just could not stomach the price given everything else I had bought/ was about to buy at the time.

crayphile:
    nberry:

SmileySmileySmiley.

I drove mine on those very same roads once it was complete and did not hold back. It was a truly unforgettable  and spine tingling experience. I can feel it again now as I type - and the noise was very much an integral part of that experience.

Isn't supposed to be launched this year?
    Once you have lucky enough to be part of the family do you regreat your 

crayphile:
    crayphile:
    nberry:

SmileySmileySmiley.

I drove mine on those very same roads once it was complete and did not hold back. It was a truly unforgettable  and spine tingling experience. I can feel it again now as I type - and the noise was very much an integral part of that experience.

Is the cabin noise as loud as in the video? 

--

nberry:
    crayphile:
    Is the cabin noise as loud as in the video? 

Yes, and its an integral part of the experience unless one has a whole host of other air-cooled cars.

I understand the integral part of the experience but I believe after an hour my head would explode.indecision 

--

Singer 911 DLS...

Singer 911 DLS at Goodwood...  E0F26BDD-E91B-4EF4-964B-7C4204B9E420.gif

Smiley

Re: Singer 911 DLS...

That glass intake in the rear side window gets me every time. What a well executed project 

“Singer Bringing Two Gorgeous Air-Cooled Porsche 911s To Goodwood”

94CD7680-E181-46ED-B079-5AB00198421F.jpeg

Singer has a well-earned reputation for creating some of the coolest custom air-cooled Porsche 911s in the world. It appears the COVID-19 pandemic hasn't slowed progress at the California-based company, as two new 964-era 911s from Singer will grace the grounds at the 2021 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The twins are actually part of a new initiative at Singer called the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study (DLS). As the name suggests, Singer takes extra steps to make these classic 911 restorations lighter and faster, and looking at the stats, we think they succeeded. The two cars featured here make use of a unique 4.0-liter naturally aspirated flat-six engine generating no less than 500 horsepower (373 kilowatts) at 9,000 revs. The power comes with all kinds of carbon-fiber upgrades that both improve aero while reducing weight.

Singer will build 75 DLS 911s, each being commissioned by a specific customer to custom specifications. As such, no two should be completely alike just as we see here, starting with the dark green 911 called the Oxford commission. It wears an exterior shade called Oak Green Metallic that's accented with Champagne trim, with an interior finished in Bone White and Tartan seat centers. The light green 911 is called the Unico commission and wears an exterior shade called Absinthe Green. Nickel trim along with Blood Orange both outside and inside offers sharp contrasts, and it's fitted with extras like air-con and a front-lift system.

Singer Porsche 911 DLS Interior

Singer Porsche 911 DLS Interior

Both 911s benefit from a custom double-wishbone front suspension and lightweight rear suspension. Magnesium center-lock wheels wear Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and to help tame the widowmaker reputation of the 964, the cars have modern assists such as traction and stability control. Various drive modes also help drivers get the most from their superb Singer 911s. 

Along with the cars comes fresh news of Singer's new location in the UK, which serves as the home of operations for the new DLS cars. In this respect, debuting at Goodwood is something of a homecoming for the Singer team.

"We've had so many milestones at Goodwood – from launching our first Targa restoration on the Cartier Lawn, to sharing our 10th anniversary with our clients driving their own cars on the famous Hillclimb," said Singer CEO Mazen Fawaz. "It's only fitting that our newest chapter, the first two client-specification examples of the Dynamics and Lightweighting Study, are providing another first at Goodwood."

The 2021 Goodwood Festival of Speed runs from July 8 through July 11. 

Source: Singer

Beautiful cars but almost seem to stray too far from what made Singer originally special as perfecting the air cooled 911.  

CGX car nut:

Beautiful cars but almost seem to stray too far from what made Singer originally special as perfecting the air cooled 911.  

I'm willing to stray - sign me up  Smiley Smiley

--

22 GT3 Manual pending, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 18 GT3 Manual, 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM