Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

DO NOT race on public road

I really do not know why are some people(and some sportscar owners) that stupid and not responsible at all.SmileySmileySmiley

This happened near Karlobag in Croatia... Group of sportscars(all UK plates) were driving(or according to sources-racing) and this winding road and guy in 458 Speciale lost the control over his car and crossed to other side of the road. He directly hit Toyota Avensis that was driven by women. She had two young daughters on the back seats and front seat passenger was older women who is injured pretty seriously. Young girls and driver also sustained minor injuries. As it was not enough Speciale was hit by R8 that was from the same group of UK drivers.

Every year I see more and more of this morons which are not responsible at all for other people lives.

Few days ago hungarian 458 driver tried to race with me few km's from this crash site. I of course, ignored him.

We have pretty decent track called Grobnik and maybe these morons could try their skills there?

Re: DO NOT race on public road

KresoF1:

We have pretty decent track called Grobnik and maybe these morons could try their skills there?

Many countries have good access to tracks now (more than ever before) and that is definitely the place to test your car and yourself.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

In the fifth picture, it looks as though the front passenger "older woman" hit the windshield with her head...

Sad.

So many self-centered imbeciles out there.  The world is their playground.  heart

davew (cincy):

In the fifth picture, it looks as though the front passenger "older woman" hit the windshield with her head...

Sad.

So many self-centered imbeciles out there.  The world is their playground.  heart

Couldn't agree more. This is why I hate it when they are driving in groups. In 95 out of 100 cases they start racing eachother or do other stupid things, just to show how "brave" they are. Morons.... 

--

Suzy

Grant:
    KresoF1:

Many countries have good access to tracks now (more than ever before) and that is definitely the place to test your car and yourself.

The problem is that many of these morons are so slow when they hit the track and their lines show that they actually have very little idea of how to drive fast. This and their often to large ego result in them not coming back to the track. 

If I could afford such a car, I would love the challenge to learn getting the max performance from it, but maybe I am just strange Smiley

Such huge idiots, endangering the lives of others. I hope the elderly woman injured makes a fast recovery and that the only trragedy here ends up being the loss of some metal and carbon.

What a waste.

SuzyF:
    davew (cincy):

Sad.

Couldn't agree more. This is why I hate it when they are driving in groups. In 95 out of 100 cases they start racing eachother or do other stupid things, just to show how "brave" they are. Morons.... 

Big agree here. Driving in groups is such a delicate endeavour. It really depends on the persons participating, I for myself will only drive with those I know well.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I refuse to drive in a driver group. Not only is it dangerous at times but in my view arrogant. 

BTW, what happened to the Ferrari driver?

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Some, not serios injuries. All drivers from UK were part of some GT Club. 650S, few Speciales, 991 GT3, etc were present. They had a joy ride from Zadar in Croatia to North Italy. According to thw witnesses whole group was driving very fast (in some places 100km/h above speed limit). Local authorities blame the driver of Speciale for overspeeding, reckless driving and putting life in danger. 

Btw, pure luck that 991 GT3 driver did not hit R8. They all were driving pretty close to each other.

IMO opinion road cars are becoming too powerful and too fast for real road conditions and for ability of 99% of the owners. Such cars are normally accessible to the very rich but financial ability doesn't necessarily coincide with driving ability and stable personality.

What is the point of a road car with 600 or 700 HP anyway?  You cannot drive even a 400 HP car within the speed limits, not to mention anything above.

There should be legislation not allowing cars above a HP level or power/weight ratio to be registered for road use. If someone buys his 700 HP car for private roads/circuits then he should have it transported and have his fun in a confined area just risking his own life and that of his fellow-hobbyists.

Such laws wouldn't be passed because car manufacturers have a lot of influence on governments especially in countries where car manufacture is a large part of the economy.

As an alternative there could be several grades in the driver licensing system (like in motorcycles) so that use of powerful cars would be restricted to top license drivers who passed rigorous tests of ability and personality. A superfast  car is a dangerous weapon in the hands of an immature and incompetent person.

Someone might argue that even a micro-car could be driven recklessly and crash. However, the likelihood of losing control of such a car is lower and even if you do the speed and impact of collision would be significantly lower.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

IMO opinion road cars are becoming too powerful and too fast for real road conditions and for ability of 99% of the owners. Such cars are normally accessible to the very rich but financial ability doesn't necessarily coincide with driving ability and stable personality.

What is the point of a road car with 600 or 700 HP?  You cannot drive even a 400 HP car within the speed limits, not to mention anything above.

There should be legislation not allowing cars above a HP level or power/weight ratio to be registered for road use. If someone buys his 700 HP car for private roads/circuits then he should have it transported and have his fun in a confined area just risking his own life and that of his fellow-hobbyists.

Such laws wouldn't be passed because car manufacturers have a lot of influence on governments especially in countries where car manufacture is a large part of the economy.

Someone might argue that even a micro-car could be driven recklessly and crash. However, the likelihood of losing control of such a car is lower and even if you do the speed and impact of collision would be significantly lower.

I agree for the most part, though I don't (yet) see the need to not allow very powerful cars on the road. I think the main problem is that getting a driver's license is way too easy in a lot of countries. IMO, it a slip course/handling course should at least be part of the driver's license (at minimum) and people should be made more aware of the possible dangers and responsibility (for the driver AND other road users) that come with driving a car or even more so, a motorbike.

Having said that... It doesn't neccesarily mean that people will actually use their common sense, if they've done a proper driver's training. Another idea is to give cars a GPS based limited top speed of at most 20% above the local speed limit. That way, cars wouldn't be limited on a race track, but they would be on public roads. I wouldn't mind having that on my car.

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    reginos:

What is the point of a road car with 600 or 700 HP?  You cannot drive even a 400 HP car within the speed limits, not to mention anything above.

I agree for the most part, though I don't (yet) see the need to not allow very powerful cars on the road. I think the main problem is that getting a driver's license is way too easy in a lot of countries. IMO, it a slip course/handling course should at least be part of the driver's license (at minimum) and people should be made more aware of the possible dangers and responsibility (for the driver AND other road users) that come with driving a car or even more so, a motorbike.

Having said that... It doesn't neccesarily mean that people will actually use their common sense, if they've done a proper driver's training. Another idea is to give cars a GPS based limited top speed of at most 20% above the local speed limit. That way, cars wouldn't be limited on a race track, but they would be on public roads. I wouldn't mind having that on my car.

I added something in my comments about driver licensing just before you posted Smiley

Also like you cannot turn up with a 125cc motorbike to pass your test and then go on and ride a 1000cc+. Similarly you shouldn't be allowed to pass a test in a Nissan Micra and the next day drive your dads Aventador.

--

"Form follows function"

Exactly! kiss

--

Suzy

I believe the Nissan GTR is already using GPS to speed limit it in Japan.  Driver training is a must in any case.  In the US people drive like idiots.  No turn signals and no idea of lane discipline.

reginos:

I see this type of s**t every now and then Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkb9IbN1gzk

A 100hp car can get you to speeds that kill. Acceleration is the problem.

What would happening if the torque in the 600hp engine would only allow you to reach 0-60 in say eight seconds?

--

I do not fully agree. I had one accident in 10 or more years of sportscar driving. And in this pretty serious accident drunk driver crossed the red light and totaled my Gallardo (and I spend one week in hospital).

He was driving 15 years old Honda Legend and driver was 51 years old (and prety drunk, almost 2 promiles of alcohol in his blood).

You can be very irresponsible with 90hp as well as with 600hp. It all depends on several factors. 

When I am driving 991 Turbo with 520hp I occasionally got provoced by slower car drivers.  Should I respond? Of course not. 

To give you some example last year I was driving from Zagreb to Split on local autobahn/highway with 991 Turbo pretty late one friday evening. I was driving little bit above legal limit which is 130km/h in Croatia. So, while I was driving 150km/h I saw that in front of me in left lane is new VW Passat that was driving around 120km/h max. Since that Passat driver did not move to right lane for about 5mins or so I decided to overtakevia right lane. Now, what happened? As soon as I get in right lane and started to accelerate female driver(in her late 40 I guess) put paddle to the metal and tried to race with me! Of course, she realized split second later that she had no chance since 991 Turbo is way faster then any Passat. But, did I really need to accelerate to 220km/h? Yes and no. Who was iirresponsible here? 

Unfortunately, I met this kind of drivers more and more lately. Not only in Croatia but, all over the EU.

KresoF1:

Unfortunately, I met this kind of drivers more and more lately. Not only in Croatia but, all over the EU.

we have loads of these in the UK.

having said that, most move over once they see me, but I do not flash or honk them, and I am not right up their rear.

The CLS55 and the GT3 has pretty much the same ability to have folks move over.

I had a weird experience in Slovenia 6-7-8..years ago

I was driving a bit over the highway speed limit which is what I always do - if the limit is 130kmh and 10% is police tolerance and my speedometer is wrong at least a bit so the limit becomes 150 in my mind

The a driver with a diesel Alfa and a space saver !! instead of rear left wheel pulled in front of me into far left lane and started pushing as hard as he could, black smoke pouring from his exhaust...

I followed him for a while even pushing a bit faster because I was baffled with his behavior which was so silly...why did he start to push when he saw me why not drive fast before if that is what you want...then I slowed down to let him go

Later locals explained to me that it is very common behavior because police cars follow speeders from the back and locals go in front of fast cars so that the guy behind them gets the ticket

I'm no angel I did drive like a maniac when I was young, local islands in the winter were my personal rally stage with no police or other road users...but the stupidity sometimes found on the road is beyond belief

When we got new highways in Croatia it became popular to break record trough one tunnel, guys bragging that the did 250kmh...and for the record I once drove and old motorcycle which just died and stopped in the middle of the tunnel so I had to push it out

Stay safe, rant over

KresoF1:

I do not fully agree. I had one accident in 10 or more years of sportscar driving. And in this pretty serious accident drunk driver crossed the red light and totaled my Gallardo (and I spend one week in hospital).

He was driving 15 years old Honda Legend and driver was 51 years old (and prety drunk, almost 2 promiles of alcohol in his blood).

You can be very irresponsible with 90hp as well as with 600hp. It all depends on several factors. 

When I am driving 991 Turbo with 520hp I occasionally got provoced by slower car drivers.  Should I respond? Of course not. 

To give you some example last year I was driving from Zagreb to Split on local autobahn/highway with 991 Turbo pretty late one friday evening. I was driving little bit above legal limit which is 130km/h in Croatia. So, while I was driving 150km/h I saw that in front of me in left lane is new VW Passat that was driving around 120km/h max. Since that Passat driver did not move to right lane for about 5mins or so I decided to overtakevia right lane. Now, what happened? As soon as I get in right lane and started to accelerate female driver(in her late 40 I guess) put paddle to the metal and tried to race with me! Of course, she realized split second later that she had no chance since 991 Turbo is way faster then any Passat. But, did I really need to accelerate to 220km/h? Yes and no. Who was iirresponsible here? 

Kreso, maybe you misread my post.Smiley 

BTW, I fully agree with what you wrote. HP doesn't mean much if the driver is irresponsible or negligent. I guess what I was trying to say is if acceleration was substantially reduced the likelihood of people doing stupid things would be less so. 

--

Nick, 

Yes, I apparently misunderstood you.

Negligent is the right word since way too many morons are driving like that on public roads.

I get provoked each and every single day. Mostly by younger drivers with their VW Golfs, Mercedes SLKs and BMW 3 series, even had a very young dude in an "old" V8 M3 chasing me for now reason. He was following me in a 60 kph speed limit zone at a distance of (just a wild guess) 25 centimeters (10 inches) and I was going 75 kph (so I was already too fast but he tried to make me leave the left lane...while I had at least a dozen of cars on that lane driving at around 70 kph or so). When I moved to the right lane, he fully accelerated and easily passed 100 kph when he crossed the green light in the next intersection. Oh boy...

Last weekend, I was driving with my wife in my 991 GTS Cab with the top open and at a red light, a bald older dude with tons of tattoos on his arm (muscle shirt) and a male friend were coming along next to us in an E class cabriolet (new model). The car didn't "match" the drivers at all, difficult to explain but when the red light changed to yellow, this dude fully accelerated and I clearly heard a V8. I didn't bother at all to do the same and I remember my wife not even noticing because she was telling me a story about a friend.

Sometimes, keeping your cool also looks...cool.

A real problem can arise when many drivers get together and drive together. This is why I do not like to do such stuff with people I do not know. I have friends with very powerful cars and I know how they drive and they are predictable. Yes, some of them are quite reckless but this doesn't mean I have to do the same. I remember losing some of the guys once because they were doing over 140 kph in a 60 kph zone. I just told them I'm not OK with this and nobody laughed or made a stupid comment. Actually, I think that they slowed down since that time. This is why I enjoy driving with these guys, not to mention their amazing driving skills. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I have a simple rule. I avoid altercations which could lead to something more serious because I have more to lose than the other person. This applies to street encounters in cars, social settings and in business. 

I cherish and relish my time and I refuse to waste it on someone I don't know or care about.

--

nberry:

I have a simple rule. I avoid altercations which could lead to something more serious because I have more to lose than the other person. This applies to street encounters in cars, social settings and in business. 

I cherish and relish my time and I refuse to waste it on someone I don't know or care about.

Hey Nick, we never knew you cared about us!  Smiley  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

fritz:
    nberry:

Fritz, you have tested my caring.smiley

--

nberry:
    fritz:
    nberry:

Fritz, you have tested my caring.smiley

Just doing my bit to toughen you up so you can face up to the big, bad world out there, Nick.   Smiley

--

fritz

funny story happens while ago, i park in a building that has 2 level underground and almost 300 car space which is full most of the times. I'm the only 911 down there but there are 4 or 5 cayenne and boxter too. except regular family cars,there are plenty of Amg and M5,M4 and M6 there which average drivers age is around 20.last week I was leaving when the white CLS AMG was tried to cut me before the slop and I let him go first " I try to avoid them 99% of time ", it has a long and sharp slop and he did stop on the middle and was looking at me on his mirror while I was doing half clutch behind him,but again, I'm trying to avoid these people,and I was watching him from his mirror that he was laughing at me with his gf , anyhow that day passed. the very next day when i entered the parking lot, I saw CAA was inside with police and what a surprise that same guy hit one car and the column beside it.OH boy, was it worthed to look at his eyes and shake my head... , long story short, best thing is avoid these drivers and cars,maybe I'm getting old but I prefer to enjoy driving my car avoiding to be challenged by others

I "met" such an idiot in an E46 M3 tuned-to-hell-cabrio yesterday when driving on the highway from Winterthur to Zürich. The sight of a Porsche must have made him pee his pants. He was all over the three-lane road, going left and right in front of me. Waiting for me to catch up so he could floor it repeatedly (then doing 160-180km/h on a 120km/h). It sounded sh*t, by the way  He almost lost it at one point when the back snapped. The car was super low, but seemed to handle like a ferry. Must have had very soft springs or roll bars. Or it was just sh*t setup. Anyway, I will be surprised if the guy makes it to his 30th birthday. I hope he does not kill anyone else.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I had some kid in a Subaru Forester try to get me to race him from a stop light in my M5 the other day. I just turned off into a parking lot. If the cops here even think you are racing they can impound your car for 7 days and give you a minimum fine of $2000.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM