Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Aventador gear box conundrum

We lost the thread on the Aventador / Aventador SV in the recent IT hiccup, so here goes again. I always stayed away from the Aventador because of the gearbox despite always acknowledging its jaw dropping looks. Less importantly,  the interior was a disgrace for a £300K car. I almost pulled the trigger on an SV after seeing it at Geneva in March but hesitated - rather like the Lamborghini gear box! Now I have had the chance to try out an Aventador Roadster for the last two days and can report that they certainly have improved the gearbox software. Also now that I know the car better its certainly better to drive in manual mode and you need to keep the revs high and keep the foot on the gas as you change gears to get a smoother experience in Corsa or Sport mode. The engine is rev hungry with real torque only appearing to kick in above 6,000 rpm ( I must look up the curve). There's no getting away from the fact that its a big car and it feels it, but the combination of looks and astounding sound especially on the downshift is intoxicating. Brake feel is good and stopping power more than adequate. Steering feel is not the best and there is always that 4WD" heaviness" to it.  So I'm going to try and get an SV Coupe though getting an allocation may be tough now. Failing that I will go for the SV Roadster.

Re: Aventador gear box conundrum

So I'm guessing that keeping revs high and foot on the gas makes this Lambo perfect for discreetly trundling through English country villages, no?  indecision  But refresh my memory, is the Aventador the last with single-clutch box, or one of the first with dual?  I know the Huracan is now up-to-date with Audi-esque gearbox but don't remember if that unit would handle the power of the V12....  

As an aside do you still own the Huracan and have it in the mix?

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

4trac:

So I'm guessing that keeping revs high and foot on the gas makes this Lambo perfect for discreetly trundling through English country villages, no?  indecision  But refresh my memory, is the Aventador the last with single-clutch box, or one of the first with dual?  I know the Huracan is now up-to-date with Audi-esque gearbox but don't remember if that unit would handle the power of the V12....  

The Aventador still has the singke clutch - hence the issues.  The Huracan is with me until I hopefully get an SV.

I've been a huge fan of the Aventador and Lamborghini in general. So when I got to drive it I was very enthusiastic about it. And how could I not be when I was about to have 2 sunny days and 700 km in Tuscany with an Aventador Roadster. Although I knew about the gearbox "issue" from my previous brief encounter with the car, I was not prepared for such a huge disappointment...The gearbox totally ruins the car to a degree at which it kills the joy of the fantastic engine and the thought that you are driving a spaceship. This car cannot be enjoyed at legal speeds. Yes, the sound is amazing (I'd say too much drama for nothing) but it cannot compensate the feeling of clumsiness which comes from a combination of terrible gearbox + harsh ride + wide chassis. Take the roof panels off and you WILL be driving only at legal speeds because after 100 km/h the wind will blow your head off - this is one of the worse roadster executions in terms of wind protection, the rigidity of the chassis is fantastic and there was no squawking from the roof panels.

But as you start driving faster you are staring to get to the idea of the car...which is to be treated as a raging bull, driven at jail time speeds by an egocentic maniac while listening "Only" by Nine Inch Nails (if you can hear anything at all - the music or your sanity...). As speed increases the chassis starts feeling tighter, the high-rev gear changes become "fun" Yes, I admit that I tested this for a while and I got intoxicated...but I am afraid that this is not a sustainable formula to enjoy your car. Which brings us back to the slow speeds, the gearbox which feels like it is broken, the attention that you have to pay constantly to the speed bumps leading to frequent pressings of the front lift button, the attention that you get from everyone around....

After the second day the car left me feeling that I've had enough...For someone who has it all and is looking for his third or fourth supercar the Aventador might make sense...(forget it, it never makes sense :) For me it is too much of a compromise.

4trac:

Can you post pics of this beauty? This V12 sounds even better than your Huracan right? 

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

J.Seven:

Can you post pics of this beauty? This V12 sounds even better than your Huracan right? 

For sure  - it sounds even better than the Huracan. I only took a few iPhone shots when I had it. I don't think Black is the colour for it though, it needs something bolder and brighter.

IMG_0490.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg

Thanks for sharing, agree with you on the color, I like the presentation roadster car with light blue exterior and cream interior, it looks wonderful. I´ve had a ride on one coupe when they came out in 2011 and downshifts were indeed amazing the all experience was a real event.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

BMW X6 4.0D

even if not the best Drivers car.....the top lambos have always and continue to be über-cool.

something of a madmans car....in a good way.

while its not totally up there with the supercars, it does have the same Aura.

funny that even a 918 seems practical in comparison to the aventador. and ist predecessors were no different.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

If you get an SV do you plan on tracking it? 

Also could you share some feedback and pics on the Huracan? IMO is one of the most striking cars out there right now, but I haven't heard any actual usage experience from real owners. 

Enmanuel:

Also could you share some feedback and pics on the Huracan? IMO is one of the most striking cars out there right now, but I haven't heard any actual usage experience from real owners. 

I will track it once or twice a year. I did a detailed write up on the Huracan when I got it - perhaps it was lost in the server mix up Smiley 

crayphile:
    Enmanuel:

I will track it once or twice a year. I did a detailed write up on the Huracan when I got it - perhaps it was lost in the server mix up Smiley 

I read your post with great interest. But I must say that your comments regarding the Aventador are less than enthusiastic. It is as if you are trying to find a reason to buy the car. With all the other great cars you own, are you confident you are doing the right thing? Are you being seduced but its styling?Smiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

nberry:

I read your post with great interest. But I must say that your comments regarding the Aventador are less than enthusiastic. It is as if you are trying to find a reason to buy the car. With all the other great cars you own, are you confident you are doing the right thing? Are you being seduced but its styling?Smiley

@nberry  - I would categorise  "jaw dropping looks" and the engine/downshift note as "intoxicating" to be enthusiastic.  If it were just the looks I would have bought the Aventador when it was launched. You are right in a sense  - it fits well in to a stable of cars. If there was one only one V12 I could own it would be the F12 without a shadow of a doubt ( LaFerrari does not count as it has an electric motor as well).

There is no better car-sound than a cold-started Lambo in you're Garage  - period ! Still gives me the chills thinking of it !

BjoernB:

There is no better car-sound than a cold-started Lambo in you're Garage  - period ! Still gives me the chills thinking of it !

+1

nothing beats the sound of a v12 lambo. Monster !!

Still dreaming of an Aventador and the SV is like a dream of a dream. kiss

One day maybe... yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Still dreaming of an Aventador and the SV is like a dream of a dreamkiss

One day maybe... yes

Inception anybody?!? Smiley

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    RC:

Still dreaming of an Aventador and the SV is like a dream of a dreamkiss

One day maybe... yes

Inception anybody?!? Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

BMW X6 4.0D

2017 Lamborghini Aventador LP 750-4 SuperVeloce Roadster First Look http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1099042_2017-lamborghini-aventador-lp-750-4-superveloce-roadster-first-look

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691180 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410252 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235437 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858892 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775217 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM