Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

SmileySmiley

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

FWIW, I don't believe anyone said the RS looks horrible. What is being said that the style of the RS is designed for track work and not street presence. It would be like driving a NASCAR car on a public street as a DD. Not cool and downright silly.

We are all enthusiasts. Expressing one view is perfectly fine. Some consider posting negative comments on a thread dedicated to one specific car which tons of enthusiasts consult is trolling. Try doing the same on GT3 threads :)

So i somehow agree with parts of your comments but the later part is untrue. Comments refer to the outright look of the car not the fact it is designed for the track versus street. We may not be focusing on the same comments Smiley

Anyways, not a big deal. As you say "not cool and downright silly" comments by some.

Guys,

objectively ---

its a great car but the reality is the wing is stupidly ricer. So is the gt3 wing.  If porsche could finish the cars without the ricer wings I would be happier.  And please recall I own the current gt3 and have ricer gt4 inboundSmiley

cheers

For some reason Ferrari has managed to do away with big wings yet keep the down force. Porsche on the other hand is sticking to the picnic table approach.

Perhaps they are going with tradition where the big wing is part of the package? 

I went for one BECAUSE of the big wing. I like the look, it looks mean and purposeful and balance out the aggressive front fenders. Without the wing it might as well look like any other 911s outside of the Turbo/Turbo S. 

--

Whoopsy:

For some reason Ferrari has managed to do away with big wings yet keep the down force. Porsche on the other hand is sticking to the picnic table approach.

Perhaps they are going with tradition where the big wing is part of the package? 

I went for one BECAUSE of the big wing. I like the look, it looks mean and purposeful and balance out the aggressive front fenders. Without the wing it might as well look like any other 911s outside of the Turbo/Turbo S. 

Right...

I don't like too much some kind of cars without a wing...for me it seems it lack something.Smiley

For example i don't like the R8 for that,nor too much 360/458/488 for the same reason...i think is a personal thing.

In my mind i can't imagine a 911 Turbo without a wing,and this GT3 RS finally have the wing that it needs.SmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

I like wing.
    I think GT3 is a better looking car than the RS.
    I ordered a RS.
    I think a GT3 parked next to a RS will not be noticed even though it looks better.
    RS has a lot of attitude.

But it really doesn't matter - it is just a car.

Whoopsy:

In order to have downforce without a wing, you need to rely on an underneath diffuser that rises at the back of the car (inverted airfoil).  The engine of a 911 is in the way for this to be done properly, so there is not really a non-picnic table solution that works as well.  For its mid-engined models, there is no such excuse.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

watt:

Guys,

objectively ---

its a great car but the reality is the wing is stupidly ricer. So is the gt3 wing.  If porsche could finish the cars without the ricer wings I would be happier.  And please recall I own the current gt3 and have ricer gt4 inboundSmiley

cheers

Not sure ricer is the correct term.  Ricer is a term for things added to a car that serve no real purpose, other than to make it look like it goes faster.

The wings added to GT3 and GT3RS genuinely add downforce so have a real purpose. A ricer is trying to make their car look like a GT3RS - which is the real thing!  Smiley

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

Below is full pantone range for how Lava Orange looks in different lighting conditions!smiley

--

Adam2S:

Below is full pantone range for how Lava Orange looks in different lighting conditions!smiley

What it lacks in red it makes up for in Lachs.  

--

fritz

Adam2S:

Smiley

25 cars in one!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Adam2S:
    watt:

Guys,

objectively ---

cheers

Not sure ricer is the correct term.  Ricer is a term for things added to a car that serve no real purpose, other than to make it look like it goes faster.

The wings added to GT3 and GT3RS genuinely add downforce so have a real purpose. A ricer is trying to make their car look like a GT3RS - which is the real thing!  Smiley

Adam, none of us claimed the RS is a ricer. All we said that it had a look of a ricer. In defense of the GT3, its wing looks like a formed part of the styling. The RS wing has metal brackets holding it which appear to be put on as an after thought. Otherwise, I agree the RS looks aggressive.

--

dertub:

Black wheels would look better. Looks like purple cars get silver wing struts.

Black wheels and struts look absolutely horrid on UV 

Smiley Smiley

nberry:
    Adam2S:
    watt:

Guys,

objectively ---

cheers

Adam, none of us claimed the RS is a ricer. All we said that it had a look of a ricer. In defense of the GT3, its wing looks like a formed part of the styling. The RS wing has metal brackets holding it which appear to be put on as an after thought. Otherwise, I agree the RS looks aggressive.

Porsche was the producer of the ORIGINAL winged and decaled foreign sports car ( the now 43 yr old Carrera RS 2.7 ) , so the Japanese -car tuners have been basically building HOMAGES to it for the past 35 + years ...." ricer " was a racist term for this Asian car tuning community ( which also started in Southern California due to all the specialty machine and fab speed shops there ) given by the whites - dominated American muscle car / hot rod tuning community they shard the same industrial parks with  , from which most of the first " ricer " tuning company founders came . 

Wings and decals , of course , had been done well before Porsche by American OEM muscle car models in the late 1960s as their own street homages to the decal splattered NASCAR -type sedan based racers 

Adam2S:

the Lava Orange GT3RS looks salmony , not orangy , on the various Goodwood  FOS hillclimb videos I have watched , varying from numbers 24-26 depending on light angle on the color scale 

SmileyLP997:

Purple fish?

porsche-991-gt3-rs-c508528062015133504_3.jpg
    porsche-991-gt3-rs-c508528062015133504_4.jpg
    porsche-991-gt3-rs-c508528062015133504_5.jpg
    porsche-991-gt3-rs-c508528062015133504_1.jpg
    porsche-991-gt3-rs-c508528062015133504_2.jpg

the BEST car/wheel/ wing strut color combo , by far , on this model 

thanks for posting these wonderful images 

SmileySmiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41wJb0bfiU

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - Waiting 991 GT3 RS

fritz:
    Adam2S:

What it lacks in red it makes up for in Lachs.  

SmileySmileySmiley

nberry said:

I think you may have missed the point I was getting at, a ricer car (MKW's more detailed explanation aside) is a term for a car that is trying to look like something more sporty than it is.  So the GT3RS is the very car ricer cars are trying to look like, so it cannot either be, or look like a ricer itself.

If it looked like a ricer, that would therefore mean it looked like a car which was trying to look like a real performance/track car, when in fact it really is a performance/track car. Smiley 

If it didn't look like a ricer then ricer cars wouldn't look the way they do, as they would be failing to copy their very role model!Smiley

Do you get my drift.... Smiley

--

Adam, when did the UK legalize marijuana?indecision

I am very familiar with the Ricer term. Through the years it has morph into describing a car that appears to have add ons to improve performance. That is what ricers did in the past. The RS wing looks like an add on to improve performance. Thus, it looks like a ricer. Caprice?

A GT3 has a wing but it is part of the design of the car just as the TT wing is.

--

nberry:

I am very familiar with the Ricer term. Through the years it has morph into describing a car that appears to have add ons to improve performance. That is what ricers did in the past. The RS wing looks like an add on to improve performance. Thus, it looks like a ricer. Caprice?

A GT3 has a wing but it is part of the design of the car just as the TT wing is.

Smiley

Nick, how many other languages beside Italian do you not speak?    Smiley

--

fritz

Probably my fault. I distracted him with a Chevrolet picture.

Gladstone:

Probably my fault. I distracted him with a Chevrolet picture.

Understandable then.  I couldn't get off to sleep last night after seeing that.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    nberry:

Smiley

Nick, how many other languages beside Italian do you not speak?    Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Can't. Stop. Laughing.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

fritz:
    nberry:

Smiley

OMG Nick - the windtunnel Team in Weissach must be crying their eyes out ! let's say it's a "bit" more complex than you obviously think.....Smiley

To add some personal experiences - drive a Supperleggera above 250 km/h and you can feel how horribly light the front is - same even goes for the MP4 although a bit better - any Station wagon etc - BUT there is no comparison to high Speed stability of a GT2,3 or RS - I drove them multiple times around 300 km/h and NO car ever gave me a higher confidence/comfort Level (also not the SLS) than those cars - People like RC who drive frequently on German Highways (see his Mustang experience) will surely agree with me that a proper Aeropackage makes huge sense - These are by far not design Gimmicks - on models like the RS those effects start way earlier due to their size ! makes all perfect sense

BjoernB:

To add some personal experiences - drive a Supperleggera above 250 km/h and you can feel how horribly light the front is - same even goes for the MP4 although a bit better - any Station wagon etc - BUT there is no comparison to high Speed stability of a GT2,3 or RS - I drove them multiple times around 300 km/h and NO car ever gave me a higher confidence/comfort Level (also not the SLS) than those cars - People like RC who drive frequently on German Highways (see his Mustang experience) will surely agree with me that a proper Aeropackage makes huge sense - These are by far not design Gimmicks - on models like the RS those effects start way earlier due to their size ! makes all perfect sense

sure, totally agreed on the aero package. the issue is just with the esthetics of the porsche version of it. i do even agree that ferrari can easily add an effective diffuser instead of an ugly rear wing because of the mid engined construction (note that downforce of the 488 beats the GT3RS) but still, while the GT3 design is cohesive the GT3RS design is not.

cheers peter

ps: the 458 coupe feels totally planted at 300km/h. i am surprised that the MP4 does not.

The shape of 911 vs 488 is so different that the way of creating downforce cannot be compared in my opinion plus I cannot believe that a 488 can create the numbers a 991RS has - I would pet a supertest of SA would prove that. (let's see)  Anyhow - active aero is added fast and I am sure we will see very interesting stuff in the times to come - once to reduce drag (fuel) and by a button to increase downforce when needed. (see TTS front)

pmarkow:
    note that downforce of the 488 beats the GT3RS

Source? 

--

fritz

Ferrari press release: .....Downforce increases to 325 kg at 250 km/h, thanks in part to active aerodynamic devices which reduce drag whilst simultaneously generating downforce when required.

some AP interview: GT3 RS 991 has more than doubled the downforce (relative the the GT3 RS 997, with 350kg at 300kph.

and since downforce grows quadratically with velocity .....go figure.

peter

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688542 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408695 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234777 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65393 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4635 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857577 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773365 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM