Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

They offer it in carbon fiber for 2500 euro.

again, I think the car needs a challenge grill.

Anybody around Hungaroring today?

Best, w

the ferrari instructor said to me: you will change your driving style to enjoy the 488 even more than the speciale. i don't quite know what he meant but i hope he is right.....

so, i just stop whining here....and get it on with the 488. a new car-tech sunrise is coming it is not good to look backwards.

peter

Congrats peter, this is the best car in its class, great choise, I wish you many happy miles with it and keep us posted about your ownership experience. Any delivery date?

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

pride355:
    pmarkow:

ps: all in all, the 488 seems like a wonderful every-day supercar. practical and superfast, lots of traction, top electronics. is it a queen of hearts? probably not.

peter

I was also at Hungaroring for 488 test drive. The car is more like 991 Turbo S, how it drives and how it accelerates.

somehow the cars were limited to 7600 rpm rev limiter which comes so quickly without warning. You feel like you are shortshifting the car when you shift at 7500-7600 rpm.

The engine/exhaust sound from outside is nice; I like it. But from inside, you hear the turbo noise more and the exhaust sound less.  The experience doesn't fullfill you. The emotional part of the car is lost. The test cars in Maranello which are newer have higher rev limiter. Even Ferrari states that 670 hp at 8000 rpm.

The steering is the same as the 458 italia. But the driving feel of the car is filtered furthermore. IMO, the 458 is at the limit in this department. It should be the closest thing to daily drive. The 488 takes this to 2 steps further and now in Porsche terratory which is an unnecessary thing, IMO. The car is fast; there is no doubt about it. You feel the extra torque while accelerating at the midrange. But MP4-12C was faster than italia and 650S is faster than Speciale and Ferrari is always the exciting car albeit slower.

After driving the 488, I respect Lambo and Audi more for their brave move for keeping their NA engines. 

I'm not against turbo engine. Actually I like them in the right place. I have ordered an Audi S3 for my daily drive. But if I buy a Ferrari, I'm not buying it to be a super daily driver. I want emotion, sound, excitement. This things diffrantietes the Ferrari from the rest. Now, the ground of the game has changed for Ferrari, IMO. 

I hope, they will make the track version with more excitement. Otherwise, I either keep my italia more or switch to Speciale. I want a fast track car for sure but what I enjoy most while driving counts the most. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Great report Onur thanks for sharing Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

wurlie:

Anybody around Hungaroring today?

Best, w

Please take same of pics of the reg Rosso Corsa. 

Have fun.

As far as I can see they only have the new Rosso Corsa, Giallo and Rosso Scuderia. 

I can see how people are choosing btw Speciale and a 488GTB, but they are in my view very different products. Both appealing in their own ways but no substitutes. Those choosing would be well advised to get as close to them as possible. 

For me, it is no contest, just as there would be no contest between a GT3 and a Turbo S. The sound alone would be a dealbreaker for me. As EVO said in their current review, 488 gives us a lot more of what we cannot use, and looses some emotion in return. 

Best, w

wurlie:

As far as I can see they only have the new Rosso Corsa, Giallo and Rosso Scuderia. 

I can see how people are choosing btw Speciale and a 488GTB, but they are in my view very different products. Both appealing in their own ways but no substitutes. Those choosing would be well advised to get as close to them as possible. 

For me, it is no contest, just as there would be no contest between a GT3 and a Turbo S. The sound alone would be a dealbreaker for me. As EVO said in their current review, 488 gives us a lot more of what we cannot use, and looses some emotion in return. 

Best, w

What's the best looking color in your opinion ??

Here yellow was the most striking. Rosso Scuderia nicer than Corsa surprisingly. New Corsa is a bit subdued - admittedly the day was overcast. 

I drove the car, and was allowed to put it into Race. Gearbox faultless. Brakes so so when cold. Initial bite very soft. Throttle response obviously turbo, which I do not like much. The instructor commented that it should be driven on the torque plateau, and not revved out. Apparently most of the test drivers did that without much effect. Step change in exhaust note still there when the valves open. Sound is a nicer interpretation of known turbo melodies from usual suspects. Not as distinctive as AMG, which is the only manufacturer that did something that stands out imho. 

Steering direct, a bit of understeer off center. I believe one could easily dial that out or adjust driving style to neutralise. 

Speciale for me, though. Coming soon :)

Best, w

Thanks for your thoughts kiss

J.Seven:

Congrats peter, this is the best car in its class, great choise, I wish you many happy miles with it and keep us posted about your ownership experience. Any delivery date?

thanks a lot!!! delivery date....should be end of september/beginning of october.

cheers peter

wurlie:

Best, w

it was rosso corsa met (the darker color) and rosso corsa (the brighter color). no rosso scuderia at the hungaroring.

the evo quote sums it up pretty much for me. but i am a su...er for the latest and newest. so i opt for the 488 instead of the speciale. 

btw, does anybody know when the 488 speciale will be introduced? in 2 or 3 years?

peter

Since the old thread is gone....

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a24691/ferrari-engineers-dont-like-turbocharging/

Reading some of the reviews, it felt like a 991 Turbo was reborn in V8 form with a ferrari badge angry

Maybe I'm getting old, but I prefer N/a over Turbo as my weekend toy, not that the modern cars can't be driven on a daily basis, but I very much prefer a high-powered naturally aspirated engine over all the torque in the world you can squeeze out of a downsized engine with two turbochargers.

pmarkow:
    wurlie:

Best, w

it was rosso corsa met (the darker color) and rosso corsa (the brighter color). no rosso scuderia at the hungaroring.

the evo quote sums it up pretty much for me. but i am a su...er for the latest and newest. so i opt for the 488 instead of the speciale. 

btw, does anybody know when the 488 speciale will be introduced? in 2 or 3 years?

peter

2 years. That's why they are bringing the spider sooner than usual. 

1435438296687image.jpg

Looks very Rooso Scuderia.

BiTurbo:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/a24691/ferrari-engineers-dont-like-turbocharging/

Reading some of the reviews, it felt like a 991 Turbo was reborn in V8 form with a ferrari badge angry

Maybe I'm getting old, but I prefer N/a over Turbo as my weekend toy, not that the modern cars can't be driven on a daily basis, but I very much prefer a high-powered naturally aspirated engine over all the torque in the world you can squeeze out of a downsized engine with two turbochargers.

sorry, no....i must contradict. the 488 is a beautiful car and an excellent drive. it might not reach the level of excitement of the 458 generation but it has nothing whatsoever in common with the 991 turbo S. the latter is a messed up design and a super-boring drive with a sound generator for the passenger cabin. the 488 does everything better except probably wet traction. let us stay real in the judgement and not go astray too far.

peter

koko:

1435438296687image.jpg

Looks very Rooso Scuderia.

i checked the paint code and it was rosso corsa.

p

koko:
    pmarkow:
    wurlie:

Best, w

peter

2 years. That's why they are bringing the spider sooner than usual. 

so presentation frankfurt 2017?

p

pmarkow:
    BiTurbo:

sorry, no....i must contradict. the 488 is a beautiful car and an excellent drive. it might not reach the level of excitement of the 458 generation but it has nothing whatsoever in common with the 991 turbo S. the latter is a messed up design and a super-boring drive with a sound generator for the passenger cabin. the 488 does everything better except probably wet traction. let us stay real in the judgement and not go astray too far.

peter

ok, so you're saying that its still a ferrari at heart, just now with a turboed heart?  Its not in any way similar in drive to a turbo s?  if you've driven the 650s, how does it compare to the 488?

kingjr9000:
    pmarkow:
    BiTurbo:

peter

ok, so you're saying that its still a ferrari at heart, just now with a turboed heart?  Its not in any way similar in drive to a turbo s?  if you've driven the 650s, how does it compare to the 488?

i guess it is still a ferrari at heart. it sounds rather good, looks great and feels exciting. i cannot say this from the turbo S. how does it compare to the 650S? i must admit that my exposure to the 488 was not long enough to give a fair judgement. 

p

Not sure in Frankfurt or not. What I know it will be out in 2 years and the 488 line up will last 4 years.

pmarkow:
    kingjr9000:
    pmarkow:
    BiTurbo:

peter

i guess it is still a ferrari at heart. it sounds rather good, looks great and feels exciting. i cannot say this from the turbo S. how does it compare to the 650S? i must admit that my exposure to the 488 was not long enough to give a fair judgement. 

p

Thanks.

Appreciate these in person views, the first we have on the forum.  But it occured to me that if these sort-of-positive views become the norm, Lamborghini could provide a tempting alternative (at least for those not died-in-the-wool Ferrari fans) by issuing a 2WD version of the Huracan, possibly with a bit more driving focus and suspension tuning.  The Balboni editions they did a few years ago were quite well reviewed, even hobbled as they were by the E-gear transmissions.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Oh they are, its called the superleggera.  Food for thought: if the regular huracan is as fast as the 650s and 488 and it weights 200 pounds more (90kg), has awd, and has "only" 610hp, imagine what a superleggera could do.

4trac:

The Balboni editions they did a few years ago were quite well reviewed, even hobbled as they were by the E-gear transmissions.  

The Balboni actually offered the awesome gated Manual with RWD Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

kingjr9000:

Oh they are, its called the superleggera.  Food for thought: if the regular huracan is as fast as the 650s and 488 and it weights 200 pounds more (90kg), has awd, and has "only" 610hp, imagine what a superleggera could do.

Huracan can be faster than Speciale on a straight line but it is definately slower than 488 GTB which is even faster than F12.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Friends, just to make sure - make no mistake, 488GTB is an awesome and amazing car. Supremely capable. I feel a bit anachronistic for my taste, but it is only a matter of taste in the end, to choose a Speciale. That is why I said - all those on the fence, please spend some money to get to know the cars you are choosing between. In the grand scheme of things, as a % of the purchase price, travel to a friendly dealer will be marginal. 

All these second hand reports, if anyhting, pull you away from the decision that is right for you, personally. 

If I ever had any criticism of this fantastic board, it is the prevalence of the second hand opinion - direct personal experience is valuable, and can be debated. Everything else, opinions on journalists' views or friends' experiences is just noise. 

And one more thing - just to state the obvious - 488GTB and a GT3 RS 4.0 should not be in the same sentence. Chalk and cheese, both great in their own ways. Not that anybody asked, just to be comprehensive in reporting.

Best, w

wurlie:

Friends, just to make sure - make no mistake, 488GTB is an awesome and amazing car. Supremely capable. I feel a bit anachronistic for my taste, but it is only a matter of taste in the end, to choose a Speciale. That is why I said - all those on the fence, please spend some money to get to know the cars you are choosing between. In the grand scheme of things, as a % of the purchase price, travel to a friendly dealer will be marginal. 

All these second hand reports, if anyhting, pull you away from the decision that is right for you, personally. 

If I ever had any criticism of this fantastic board, it is the prevalence of the second hand opinion - direct personal experience is valuable, and can be debated. Everything else, opinions on journalists' views or friends' experiences is just noise. 

And one more thing - just to state the obvious - 488GTB and a GT3 RS 4.0 should not be in the same sentence. Chalk and cheese, both great in their own ways. Not that anybody asked, just to be comprehensive in reporting.

Best, w

exactly true. 488 and GT3 RS are totally different cars in the feeling they convey. but most likely the 488 will beat the GT3RS even on track:::))

488 and turbo S should also not be mentioned in the same sentence, different levels of cars.

i understand wurlie very well, the choice between the anachronistic but wonderful speciale and the supermodern effortlessly fast 488 is very hard. in the end i opt for the 488 since i do mainly road driving, including regularly longer distances.

btw, the F12 VS will be a beast:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/ff-f12/2092439-will-there-f12-hgte-announced-frankfurt-september-imageuploadedbytap...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/attachments/ff-f12/2092438-will-there-f12-hgte-announced-frankfurt-september-imageuploadedbytap...

it will be very expensive though, around 450K euro+tax. i am tying to get on the list (limited production) but it will be hard since by the ferrari rules i do not qualify (need to own at least three current models). but for people like whoopsie who barely missed out on a LaFe this might be a good option....

cheers peter

Price will be double the current f12. They'll look into your V12 history.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691119 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410204 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256256 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235424 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65753 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858859 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775150 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM