Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

MotoGP

As my MotoGP thread was a victim of the data-loss, I'm starting this one with news of the sport being set to enter a new era.  Below is a statement made today by Dorna Sports...

MotoGP set to enter a new era

The MotoGP Championship enters a new phase as key measures are agreed upon in order to ensure the stability of the sport in coming years.

"This agreement has been possible thanks to the consensus we have thanks to the Grand prix commission," explained Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta in a press conference held on Friday at the Motul TT Assen alongside FIM President Vito Ippolito and IRTA President Hervé Poncharal.

Carmelo Ezpeleta:  "I want to say a special thanks to all the members of the MSMA, first the FIM who has allowed us to talk to everyone and to IRTA who brings us the feeling of the paddock as well as advising us. The MSMA itself who gives us the opinion of the manufacturers.  We want to say a special thanks to the three companies; Ducati, Honda and Yamaha who have been participating throughout and have helped the success of the championship.

“We are extremely happy and a big thank you to them for permitting us to do this.  Also to the teams for permitting this, it has not been easy for them but we feel this agreement is good for everyone especially the private teams.

“This is a process that started with CRT then the Open class, then the spec electronics for all and ends with the stability of the championship.  All the technical rules will stay the same until 2021 unless everybody agrees to change something or it is for safety.  Starting from 2017 we will have 6 manufacturers participating in MotoGP: Aprilia, Ducati, Honda, KTM, Suzuki and Yamaha.  All of these six will have the right to participate in the championship with two official riders.  They also have the obligation to put a minimum of two bikes in the market for leasing, with a maximum of four, for the existing teams in the championship.  These bikes will have a max price of 2.2 million Euros per annum including everything except crash costs. This is only for existing teams.  We have now 25 riders participating and for the period of 2017 to 2021 the minimum will be 22 riders on the grid and the maximum 24.  We will not admit any other teams or manufacturers if we’re over 22 riders; this is to support the teams that have been participating in MotoGP.

“Dorna also have the right to buy the slot of the last two teams in the championship each year.  This is a right, not an obligation.  Hopefully we don’t need to use this right. If any new manufacturers arrive they will be obliged to reach an agreement with an existing private team, we will not admit new manufacturers as we have done in the past.

“The contribution from Dorna through the manufacturers, and especially the private teams, will be more than a 30% increase between 2016 to 2017.  With this contribution, especially to the private teams, the teams will have enough resources to pay the leasing from the manufacturers at the previously mentioned price.

“It is important for the market to be open, with six manufacturers the private teams have a choice of who to make an agreement with.  This agreement will hopefully promote stability.  We have 13 riders within a second today, a very competitive championship.  We want to thank everyone who has helped us arrive to this.  We think with the same electronics the championship will be even closer.”

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Re: MotoGP

Tomorrow is a Saturday race at TT Assen in the Netherlands.  It's currently very tight at the top with Rossi still one point ahead of Lorenzo despite the Spaniard winning the last four events.

Marc Marquez is nowhere near, having crashed out more times this season than ever before, following his almost total domination last year!

With Ducati back in the fight, this year promises to be one of the best..kiss

--

The Cathedral! looking foward to it, everything is so close with the riders being the protagonists ... withn F1 being a boring "caricature" of racing and a waste of time... thank godness we still have MotoGP!

My heart is split, I like Lorenzo's will and resolve, but deep inside I would love to see doctor win...

--

FORZA VALE!!!!

Great drive from VR46, what a silly (and dangerous) manoever from MM!

In my opinion he should have got a penalty for that harsh overtaking, this could have ended very badly for the doctor...

Dani Pedrose is totally of the pace, I think in 2016 he'll be competing @Superbikes

Terrific win for The Doctor who just held on after swapping places with a resurgent Marquez over the final laps - almost a coming together at the last turn!

Lorenzo a distant 3rd and now 10 points behind Rossi for the title.

Interestingly, Marquez reverted to his 2014 set-up and it seems to have made a big difference to his performance.  Pedrosa still getting over his surgery but disappointing.  Ducati only 4th with Iannone but better things to come maybe...

--

Lord_Driftalot:

FORZA VALE!!!!

Great drive from VR46, what a silly (and dangerous) manoever from MM!

In my opinion he should have got a penalty for that harsh overtaking, this could have ended very badly for the doctor...

Just watched a re-run - yes indeed, but Marquez tried the same thing on Lorenzo in Spain and came off the worst - crashed!

--

All the results & stats you could wish for... going back, in seasons, to 1950 as provided by MotoGP.com

Everything is there to see except videos, which require membership of 'Videopass', but that is too expensive...IMHO

http://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics/2015/NED/MotoGP/World+Standing

--

Marc Marquez wins one of the most dramatic MotoGP races of all time as Lorenzo reduces Rossi's lead in the standings to just 11 points.

Repsol Honda’s Marquez emerged triumphant from an incredible Pramac Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix to record his 50th career GP victory and fifth of 2015. Marquez secured the race win in the end by just 0.249s from Jorge Lorenzo, with Andrea Iannone completing the podium ahead of championship leader Valentino Rossi who had to settle for fourth.

The 32,000 fans packed into the grandstands bore witness to one of the most exciting races in the history of the World Championship as Marquez was involved in a race-long scrap with Movistar Yamaha teammates and title rivals Lorenzo and Rossi, plus the Ducati GP15 of Iannone. The battle between these four was simply breath-taking, as for once the weather did not throw a spanner in the works with the sun shining and track temperatures reaching 40˚C. It really did have everything: a myriad of overtakes, lots of contact, a championship title on the line, and even a bird strike.

At the start it was Iannone who got the drive off the line to lead into turn 1 with Lorenzo and Marquez in hot pursuit. Lorenzo would take the lead into turn 8, and in a sign of things to come there was contact between Marquez and his teammate Dani Pedrosa at turn 10 as the former defended 3rd. Iannone re-took the lead on lap 2, only to be hit by a stray seagull on the entrance to turn 4 to allow Lorenzo to move back to the front.

The lead swapped hands a number of times between these three on the opening laps. All the while Rossi, who had started from seventh on the grid, had been biding his time, before starting to move through the pack by lap 3. The ‘Doctor’ overtook the Repsol Honda of Dani Pedrosa and LCR Honda’s Cal Crutchlow to move up to fourth on lap 4 and join in the fun at the front.

Lorenzo began to break away at the front, and by the end of lap 7 he had opened up a 1.4s gap, but just when it looked like he would disappear into the distance the chasing trio started to close. Unbelievably, despite constantly swapping places, the three started to reel in Lorenzo at the front. At the end of lap 13, Lorenzo’s lead was down to a second. At the end of lap 14 it was 0.5s, and fans were in for a treat as Marquez, Iannone and Rossi caught Lorenzo at the front with 10 laps to go.

From here on in it was anyone’s guess who would win, with Iannone using the incredible power of his GP15 to show some blistering pace on the straight. This meant each time once of the others passed the Italian; he was able wait until the Gardner straight to launch his Bologna missile back past.

Lorenzo took the lead with 7 laps to go once more, and with just two laps to go had extended this lead to one second as the others fought against each other. The best was still to come though. As the riders entered the final lap less than second separated all four, as Lorenzo led across the line from Iannone with Marquez in third and Rossi fourth.

Marquez passed Iannone in the Southern Loop to move into second and set off after Lorenzo. Rossi also came past his compatriot after contact at turn 4, before Iannone fought back into 3rd through Lukey Heights. Then at turn 10 Marquez blitzed past Lorenzo into the lead, as Rossi tried desperately to pass Iannone for the final time but failed. Marquez then managed to hold on through the final few corners to secure an amazing victory as the crowd went wild. Marquez had saved his best till last, putting in the fastest lap of the race on the final lap as he timed his move to perfection. It seemed a fitting way for the reigning MotoGP™ World Champion to break his MotoGP™ points duck at Phillip Island, as he became the youngest ever rider to reach the milestone of 50 GP wins.

Lorenzo took second, his tenth podium of the year, to close the gap in the standings to Rossi to just 11 points with two races remaining. Iannone completed the podium, his third of the year and first since Mugello, while Rossi’s fourth was only the second time he has missed out on the podium this season. To give you an idea of how close it was, just a second separated the four across the line. It was also Rossi’s 328th grand prix, which moves him level with Loris Capirossi at the top of the list of riders with the most World Championships starts

--

It was incredible how he closed and pass Lorenzo within half a lap. Wished I had gone. It was the perfect weather yesterday too but the kids were being difficult so I didn't end up going eventhough I've been given a ticket. Oh well. 

Missed it surprise

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

The relentless chasing and breathtaking passing, especially the final one by Marquez showed why F1 has become so dull

sevoman:

The relentless chasing and breathtaking passing, especially the final one by Marquez showed why F1 has become so dull

Ain't that the truth...kiss

--

Motogp like Australia the last week end!!!!! that is racing!!!! what a race!!!

I think we saw motogp most wonderful and incredible overtake ever!!!! Iannone passed Marques and Rossi in a way that it is almost impossible WOW WOW WOW...

http://www.tuttomotoriweb.com/2015/10/18/phillip-island-doppio-sorpasso-show-di-andrea-iannone-sfiorato-valentino-rossi-video/

This year Rossi will win so he will have 10 championships. Then Lorenzo and Marquez will fight in the future, and with Iannone there fighting if the Ducati is strong enough..

--

993 c2

I really hope Rossi does win his tenth and retire. He sure deserves it. It's far too close to call!

I hope it too, GO VR46, GO VALE!!

I agree win 10 and retire and help the young kids in the sky team ... So he will be the best ever for the numbers...

--

993 c2

Rossi should only think to go as fast as possible! He always had that extrahelp from above, so he is not used to fight at same conditions, that makes him nervous. If the 2014 tyre did not came trough this year he would have 50 points less, and how do you think its possible to be competitive only in race, easy as there is a big talk on this initaly he always had a special tyre! Motogp makes audience with rossi much less with the others so they have to make him competitive with lorenzo and marquez.

just remeber when he first tryed the ducati he was 2 sec slower than stoner on the same bike the day after stoner arrived on the podium with the same bike if i dont remember bad.

so at least shut up and ride and dont make stupid announcements

--

993 c2

No one is as good as Stoner. Not that I'm a bias Australian or anything. 😂

As i said before, Rossi is so nervous that makes him do silly things like today, very sad that a champion like rossi did such a stupid move.

He could not fight with pedrosa and lorenzo, so stay after marquez and at the end pass him...why do that bad move?????

--

993 c2

I was cheering for Rossi this year, wanted him to make a come back. But after what he just did I hope he looses everything, the penalty he got IMO is not enough, there is no place for discraceful behaviour such as that in motorsport, that was embarrasing even to watch. Especially coming from someone with so much experience in the sport and supposed maturity, he is not a wild nebbie, which makes it even worse, and unexcusable. Havent seen somethingl like that since the Melandri vs Alzamora back in 1999.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Rossi has seriously blotted his copybook!  No possible excuses for that moment of madness...surprise

http://www.motogp.com/en/youtube_update/2015/10/25/sepangclash-marquez-crash/188362?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=Email&a...

However, the racing between him and Marquez, prior to the incident, was nothing short of sensational. 

He also has a point when contending that Marquez has been attempting to assist Lorenzo, his Spanish co-patriot, to win the title by blocking and slowing Rossi and also causing an 'off-the-track' rumpus...yes

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/10/25/rossi-marquez-would-prefer-lorenzo-to-win/187955

--

The Race Direction verdict...

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/10/25/sepangclash-race-direction-verdict-on-rossi-marquez/188434

--

Also, let's not forget the progress made by Dani Pedrosa following his 'pump arm' surgery early in the season...kiss

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/10/25/pedrosa-you-need-to-take-a-big-breath-down-the-straights/188406

--

John H:

Rossi has seriously blotted his copybook!  No possible excuses for that moment of madness...surprise

http://www.motogp.com/en/youtube_update/2015/10/25/sepangclash-marquez-crash/188362?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=Email&a...

However, the racing between him and Marquez, prior to the incident, was nothing short of sensational. 

He also has a point when contending that Marquez has been attempting to assist Lorenzo, his Spanish co-patriot, to win the title by blocking and slowing Rossi and also causing an 'off-the-track' rumpus...yes

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2015/10/25/rossi-marquez-would-prefer-lorenzo-to-win/187955

I agree 100% on both counts, Marquez was being a pain in Rossi's arse but he kept it clean and wasn't breaking any rules, was kind of annoying me but it was sensational racing for the fans, though up until that point in the season I wanted Rossi to take the championship. But what Rossi did I have never seen before, he not only slowed to meet him mid corner while forcinf Marquez out of the driving line but freking KICKED him off the track. Had to watch it several times cause I was in disbelief. Such a shame that it was someone like Rossi doing something like this. Lost all respect for Rossi. 

What to me makes it even worse is that the team is appealing the penalty to Rossi... how can you morally appeal being punished for such an act? The team should instead publicly condem Rossi's act and accept whatever punishment he is given. Shame Movistar Yamaha, hope Honda crushes you next year.

Oh boy, next race is Valencia, Rossi is not going to have a good time there after what he did this weekend, there is going to be fireworks  1331921569018Popcorn_Smiley_by_Probocaster.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

here you can clearly see that Marquez touches Rossi's knee with his helmet before Rossi kicks him away :  https://twitter.com/GP_Xtra

--

Lotus 3-Eleven on order

Gauss:

here you can clearly see that Marquez touches Rossi's knee with his helmet before Rossi kicks him away :  https://twitter.com/GP_Xtra

But will MotoGP rescind the penalty to Rossi after this latest GIF? If they don't then it will just make them look silly.

--

They'd damn well better after these new angles.  They don't want to be a joke like F1 after all.  Smiley

I've said all along to all my friends that Marquez leaned on Rossi and he just pushed his knees out as a reaction to it, but no one agreed with me. Now I have proof!

Btw Yamaha has appealed the decision so FIM can definitely revoke the penalty.

Yep, this for sure puts a new light into this ' pushing' .  Things are often not as black or white as thy appear .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662600 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401301 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229270 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4383 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853580 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762029 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM