Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

noone1:
    MKSGR:

I totally agree - for me the 675LT is less attractive now knowing about the "improved" version.

Why? You could never buy it anyway.

Because it is no longer the best car available...

MKSGR:
    noone1:
    MKSGR:

I totally agree - for me the 675LT is less attractive now knowing about the "improved" version.

Why? You could never buy it anyway.

Because it is no longer the best car available...

It never was! The P1 held that title before and after the 675LT...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msu23raltng

Got to enjoy Mr JJW's honest boyish style

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

agree ! angry

McLaren in Munich has two 675 LT in the showroom. Not for sale. But both cars had the same front fender with carbon fender grills like the GT3RS fender grills . Must be MSO upgrade. 

--

AM

maybe they are for sale now since the owner bought with his Profit the HowSpecial indecision

noone1:

I think Ms. RC just won't let him get an exotic indecision

My wife loves the Huracan and besides that, she doesn't care about my cars, believe it or not.

Things were slightly different when the kids were younger and we had to be careful how their friends and their parents would "judge" them but now they are older and the friends got "used" to them. Don't forget that my kids go to a public school, not a private school. More than half of the kids of our wealthy friends go to a local private school. I didn't want that because I wanted my kids to grow up with normal kids, not with (sometimes very spoiled) rich ones. Smiley My kids seem to appreciate their life much more because of that and there is nothing more satisfying when your kids actually thank you for the life they have. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

BjoernB:

maybe they are for sale now since the owner bought with his Profit the HowSpecial indecision

Aaaa - I have written NOT FOR SALE SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley DON'T YOU READ MY POSTS!!!  SmileySmiley

--

AM

RC:
    noone1:

My wife loves the Huracan and besides that, she doesn't care about my cars, believe it or not.

Things were slightly different when the kids were younger and we had to be careful how their friends and their parents would "judge" them but now they are older and the friends got "used" to them. Don't forget that my kids go to a public school, not a private school. More than half of the kids of our wealthy friends go to a local private school. I didn't want that because I wanted my kids to grow up with normal kids, not with (sometimes very spoiled) rich ones. Smiley My kids seem to appreciate their life much more because of that and there is nothing more satisfying when your kids actually thank you for the life they have. Smiley

Didn´t you forget to mention R8 and your neighborhood?? SmileySmileySmiley

--

AM

noone1:

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

What kind of problems is your neighbor having? How about the F12 guy?

My neighbor sells his McLaren because of his neighbors. Isn't this problem enough? Smiley

The F12 guy hides the car in a garage far away from his home. Actually, the garage where I kept my GT500 for a while in the beginning was full of exotics but hidden away from private homes. It was in a bigger town than mine though but still interesting to notice.

The lawn and car washing thing is just stupid German law in your city. They have stuff like that in places in Switzerland as well if I'm not mistaken. Hell, they even have stuff like that in the US if you live in a subdivision with a HOA. Such is German culture in some areas I guess. For some reason all stores are closed on Sunday in Germany too. I have no idea why, but people like not being able to buy stuff on Sundays I guess.

This is the law in most Bavarian regions, with very few exceptions.

Even in Munich, a tourist spot, there are no stores open on Sundays and they close at 8 pm on other days of the week.

As you said though, your neighbor even has an exotic so obviously it's not a big deal. So maybe some people talk about that "Arab/African/Asian and his loud yellow car." So be it. Maybe I'll rent a house in your neighborhood and bring an SV. I'm a Jew, so they'll feel guilty about everything and just let it slide, right?

It is a big deal because he has the whole neighborhood against him, which surprised me/my wife and my other neighbor with the loud cars. This guy is one of the most beloved gynecologists in the region, women adore him (and not for his looks, he is just a very professional and nice guy) and when he drives at night, he drives to a birth, not to a night club. Still, people started a war with him and he really tried everything to calm things down (his wife even brought cookies to their neighbors and apologized with no effect whatsoever).

You need to understand the kind of neighborhood. People are friendly, deeply religious (catholic) and very conservative. 90% of the people are not very wealthy but upper middle class. In my experience, these are the worst when it comes to envy. 

Oh, another "nice" story: I wanted to build a canopy over the driveway in front of my garage because it is a huge space and it would hold room for three cars. My neighbors opposed it and I couldn't make it happen. Of course I could have gone to court with them but seriously?

We have the "advantage" that my wife is the doctor of almost half the people in our neighborhood and nobody wants to mess around with their doctor. Smiley Also, they always saw nice cars in my driveway and many Porsche with S, LB or BB license plates, even a camouflaged BMW once, making them believe that I work in the car industry (not that I didn't like this because it kept them off my back). So people are less "aggressive" with us, also because we always try to be friendly and talk to them when we meet them on the street.

It is a mixed neighborhood, this is the major issue here. Wealthy people on one side, less wealthy on the other side and upper middle class on the lower side. I have to admit that this isn't the best "setup" for a neighborhood but it wasn't my choice. My parents bought the house from the CEO of a well known fashion company which surprisingly went bankrupt at that time (many decades ago). At that time, there was only this house and two next to us and it was supposed to become a wealthy neighborhood but it failed and many duplex houses were built in the neighborhood, mostly for the lower middle class. Later on, the upper middle class discovered the neighborhood because there was a lot of free construction space left.

I know this is difficult to understand but this is how it is there. Everyone knows everyone and there is a lot of gossip going on as well and trust me, you don't want to be the content of this gossip. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

ALDO:
    RC:
    noone1:

Didn´t you forget to mention R8 and your neighborhood?? SmileySmileySmiley

Smiley SmileyNot sure I understand? The R8 wouldn't be a problem, not even the new one. A Huracan could be a problem, one reason I do not get one (and the fact that the new R8, which is basically the same car, loses 40k the moment the dealer registers it and the Huracan is still pretty expensive, even used).

Actually, just yesterday, I was joking with my wife, telling her that I will get that 12C Spider because of the lease offer. When she saw the photo, she looked at me pretty shocked and said "this is the car of our neighbor...are you nuts?". Then I actually realized that she is right, it is the same car, even the same color. Not a good idea. Smiley

--

why its not a good idea ? then there are two cars in your area and the car is more common.

hunterone:

why its not a good idea ? then there are two cars in your area and the car is more common.

Smiley Smiley Good point but I really don't want to throw fuel into the fire, the emotions have run pretty hot on this topic, up to a point where that guy is apparently selling his McLaren now, reverting back to Porsche.

The offer is tempting though, especially since I know the boss of McLaren Munich pretty well, he once worked for Porsche. Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:

Sorry, I just don't buy it.

What kind of problems is your neighbor having? How about the F12 guy?

My neighbor sells his McLaren because of his neighbors. Isn't this problem enough? Smiley

yes your neighbor has a problem. but it won't be solved by selling the mclaren. same with the F12 guy. looks more long lasting and further reaching than car ownership.

peter

The problem will be solved...in a way or another.

I am surprised that you guys don't understand this kind of neighborhood because this is no exception over here. I know tons of guys who keep their cars somewhere else because of what neighbors or customers would say. So this is nothing new.

Back to topic though, I think we discussed this way too often. 

--

Wild idea: lets talk about McLarens here, and if you want to discuss the pros and cons of supercar ownership in rural Germany, do it on a new thread?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:

Wild idea: lets talk about McLarens here, and if you want to discuss the pros and cons of supercar ownership in rural Germany, do it on a new thread?

I was actually discussing McLaren and ownership but others took it to a different level... Smiley Smiley

--

Yes!

I had little bit analyzed the market of used McLarens. I came to the conclusion, that the McLaren doesn't have at all a huge depreciation. When looking at 650s, there are few one year old car which have lost about 50-60.000 €. This is about 20% of 290-300.000€ as new cars price After that a two year 650s has lost further 10.000 € which is nothing.

There are also few cars which are new. There you have a discount of 35-40.000 € so about 15%. But all this new cars are with a very poor specification. McLaren is hand made and the main McLaren buyer will his McLaren to be exclusive built for him with his specification. For that reason they don´t buy this already specified cars or one year old cars. I think that just, people as me, first time McLaren buyer are thinking of these "cheaper" McLarens. 

--

AM

ALDO:

Yes!

I had little bit analyzed the market of used McLarens. I came to the conclusion, that the McLaren doesn't have at all a huge depreciation. When looking at 650s, there are few one year old car which have lost about 50-60.000 €. This is about 20% of 290-300.000€ as new cars price After that a two year 650s has lost further 10.000 € which is nothing.

There are also few cars which are new. There you have a discount of 35-40.000 € so about 15%. But all this new cars are with a very poor specification. McLaren is hand made and the main McLaren buyer will his McLaren to be exclusive built for him with his specification. For that reason they don´t buy this already specified cars or one year old cars. I think that just, people as me, first time McLaren buyer are thinking of these "cheaper" McLarens. 

A limited time lease offer would be great, 6-12 months, without initial payment, so people can actually "try" the new brand and see if they like it. This lease offer doesn't have to be valid for new cars but for example used cars or dealer loaners. I would gladly try a McLaren for 6 months to see if it "fits" me but I wouldn't jump into a new 36 months lease or even a buy without knowing what I'm going for...

--

I am not sure if this is in the interest of McLaren. I don´t mean you as a customer.

They have now the sports series which is in price competitive and not limited. I think they will find their customers, a few from Porsche for sure. Maybe a good overall leasing offer will help. 

The supercar series will get the 650s successor with lot more hp and exclusivity (should look like P1). They will be not limited but not overproduced. For that series they don´t need any special leasing offers. Customers willing >300.000 € is a totally different league.

--

AM

ALDO:

I am not sure if this is in the interest of McLaren. I don´t mean you as a customer.

They have now the sports series which is in price competitive and not limited. I think they will find their customers, a few from Porsche for sure. Maybe a good overall leasing offer will help. 

The supercar series will get the 650s successor with lot more hp and exclusivity (should look like P1). They will be not limited but not overproduced. For that series they don´t need any special leasing offers. Customers willing >300.000 € is a totally different league.

I was referring to the lower price range (570 and 540, maybe even the 650). 

The events they invited people to certainly helped but I think they need to make better (financial) offers to attract new customers. People still think of McLaren as a small niche car producer and this could actually prevent potential customers from buying or even trying their cars.

--

5xx 1,25% monthly lease or 650s 1,05% is more then okay. What do you expect? You can´t lease an A8 for 1,05%.

--

AM

ALDO:

5xx 1,25% monthly lease or 650s 1,05% is more then okay. What do you expect? You can´t lease an A8 for 1,05%.

I suppose you are talking leases without initial payment? Yes, my last offer for a S8 with 605 was 1.1%, true. Smiley

--

I need to spec a car and see what the dealer comes up with lease-wise (residual value / the ability to sell one is my main worry).. He didn't sound all that enthusiastic about the deals though..  Have to see.

I saw in the UK McLaren started a finance arm to offer leasing..  http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mclaren/mclaren-launches-finance-deals-own-a-570s-for-995-a-month/

..for 7.9% angel

--

DaveGordon:

I need to spec a car and see what the dealer comes up with lease-wise (residual value / the ability to sell one is my main worry).. He didn't sound all that enthusiastic about the deals though..  Have to see.

I saw in the UK McLaren started a finance arm to offer leasing..  http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mclaren/mclaren-launches-finance-deals-own-a-570s-for-995-a-month/

..for 7.9% angel

7.9% is too much, I agree. The lease/finance offers for sports cars here in Germany are usually around 4-5%. Never saw something even close to 7.9%, ouch. Smiley

--

DaveGordon:

I need to spec a car and see what the dealer comes up with lease-wise (residual value / the ability to sell one is my main worry)...

I would not lease a 570 nor buy it new. Seeing how the McLaren prices are tanking in Switzerland you just need to hold out for 2 years and then pick one up for half the price.

Meanwhile your GT3 will be worth far more than a used 570S Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I doubt the 570 prices will tank quite as badly as the more expensive ones, but yes, that would be the sensible approach.  I was mostly interested in what provision they might bake into a deal to mitigate my resale doubts - new or otherwise..

--

DaveGordon:

I doubt the 570 prices will tank quite as badly as the more expensive ones, but yes, that would be the sensible approach.  I was mostly interested in what provision they might bake into a deal to mitigate my resale doubts - new or otherwise..

I hope they will tank Smiley but yes, probably not as sever as the more expensive models.

If you get that far, let me know what they offer. 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    DaveGordon:

I need to spec a car and see what the dealer comes up with lease-wise (residual value / the ability to sell one is my main worry)...

I would not lease a 570 nor buy it new. Seeing how the McLaren prices are tanking in Switzerland you just need to hold out for 2 years and then pick one up for half the price.

Meanwhile your GT3 will be worth far more than a used 570S Smiley

If you can find for me a 650s for half the price, I would pay you a bonus.

--

AM

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689042 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408934 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255631 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234887 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65469 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857767 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773742 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM