Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Whoopsy:
    Enmanuel:
    4trac:

on another note, was that gravel gas station in rural Poland the only place they could find for the announcement photoshoot??  

Smiley

Oh come on, illicit money transfers always happens in seedy area Smiley

Haha.... at least the seedy areas in Vancouver you could have suggested are more photogenic....Smiley

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

Very ouch

Another pic #1

Another pic #2

Any details about the circumstances? Looks like he collided with some other car...

Ferdie:

Any details about the circumstances? Looks like he collided with some other car...

I heard from a reliable source that he wasn't the driver... Smiley

I know Sutil, we was/is part of our driving group here in Bavaria, he always used his Carrera GT and he is an excellent driver, difficult to believe that he crashed the car (but he didn't drive it anyway). No, I haven't talked to him directly about this but a friend just met him recently.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

That must have been a while ago since he sold the CGT in 2015 

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

bluelines:

That must have been a while ago since he sold the CGT in 2015 

No, he didn't. Last time he drove with us in his CGT was 2017 (I looked up the photo date) and the very last time (2019) he drove with us he drove a Koenigsegg (please don't ask which model, I have no clue about Koenigsegg Smiley, my son certainly knows). 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

RC:
    Ferdie:

I heard from a reliable source that he wasn't the driver... Smiley

I know Sutil, we was/is part of our driving group here in Bavaria, he always used his Carrera GT and he is an excellent driver, difficult to believe that he crashed the car (but he didn't drive it anyway). No, I haven't talked to him directly about this but a friend just met him recently.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that you‘d be the first one to know. Smiley

I certainly wouldn't be the first one to know, I met Sutil only a couple of times as part of our Bavarian driving group, he is not a friend (I wish he was, he is a very down to earth guy, also very passionate about driving). I'm out of the league of 90% of our driving group, heavy lifters as you may say (I think), very rich, many cars in their garages and some have a professional racing background. I may even be the poorest one. Smiley Smiley Very nice people though, privacy is very important to them and I am "only" a driving buddy I guess but since the whole pandemic started, we had only two (very) limited drives for a couple of hours here in Bavaria anyway and we started with 12 cars and ended up with...5. The others broke off early, this usually never happens but we had issues finding proper parking spaces at the locations we wanted to have lunch, so many left, it was pretty sad. In the past, it was so much fun, getting together but now everything is different, not the same anymore.

Also, one of the group stopped driving with us because someone (he didn't know who, highly possible it was from outside the group, privacy is king) put on his Instagram page the location of his garage. So sad that people are such idiots but it was to be expected when you are in the public eye (Instagram). This someone was from my town, so a huge bummer for me because my son visited his garage, knew his daughter... Smiley

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2lv748Re8k

The amount of misinformation she put out is outstanding. “First ever” “only car in the world that has xyz” ... come on. 

Enmanuel:

The amount of misinformation she put out is outstanding. “First ever” “only car in the world that has xyz” ... come on. 

These videos really are a complete non-event. As long as it's 'expensive' and 'rare' it's supposed to be good content. Smiley

--

1969 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3  / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    Enmanuel:

These videos really are a complete non-event. As long as it's 'expensive' and 'rare' it's supposed to be good content. Smiley

Indeed. Never understood the allure of her channel in the first place... 

Smiley

x1000

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

I met her a few times and I am not a fan. She is as loud and attention seeking of the camera. I don’t watch her videos, it is simply not my style. Very much in contrast to Shmee who is cool of the camera. 

Ferdie:
    Porker:
    Enmanuel:

Indeed. Never understood the allure of her channel in the first place... 

Smiley

I follow her YT channel because she has some exclusive content sometimes, like this world first review/drive of the Speedtail. She has good contacts(better than Shmee it seems)...

Her channel attracks the general public who like lifestyle and expensive things. And she is somewhat attractive.

Nearly 5million subs on Youtube and nearly 7million subs on Instagram. She had insane following grow in the latest years.

She and her boyfriend/hus(camera man) are making millions out of it...

McLaren puts Woking headquarters up for sale

McLaren has put its Woking headquarters up for sale in an attempt to strengthen its balance sheet against the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

A McLaren spokesperson told Autocar that the company is yet to confirm a  final price for the property but is expecting offers "in excess of  £200m". McLaren expects the HQ to be sold by the end of this financial  year.

tso:

I met her a few times and I am not a fan. She is as loud and attention seeking of the camera. I don’t watch her videos, it is simply not my style. Very much in contrast to Shmee who is cool of the camera. 

Yeah, I heard the same. Shmee looks (almost) like an imbecile on camera but is actually a very nice and different(!) guy off camera. Supercar Blondie seems to be sympathetic and nice in her videos but off camera, she is not a very pleasant (for a woman) person. More like the sailor you punch in the nose during a bar brawl. Smiley Smiley

I do not know either personally, so the above is only based on personal (on camera) and third party (off camera) observations and rumors. 

It is very difficult to judge these people just by their video appearances or even live appearances because many of the YouTubers put on a show on camera and off camera. This is their job. 

--

Topspeed:

McLaren puts Woking headquarters up for sale

McLaren has put its Woking headquarters up for sale in an attempt to strengthen its balance sheet against the ongoing impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.

A McLaren spokesperson told Autocar that the company is yet to confirm a  final price for the property but is expecting offers "in excess of  £200m". McLaren expects the HQ to be sold by the end of this financial  year.

Is McLaren crumbling down? £200m isn't such a huge amount that would justify selling one's state of the art HQ. This place was an icon of McLaren's technological prowess.

It is very difficult for seasoned players to stay afloat, never mind a limited interest manufacturer operating in a very narrow market segment.

I wonder, if McLaren fold the business what will happen to all these cars that would require parts and repairs? Have sales been affected already because of this possibility.

Also, who could possibly save McLaren? Not FCA or VW for sure. Geely or GM possible Smiley

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Don't they have a new investor from Saudi Arabia onboard? Smiley

--

If they had fresh money available they wouldn't have put Woking for sale, I think.

--

reginos:

If they had fresh money available they wouldn't have put Woking for sale, I think.

Good point but maybe the investor asked for some cost cutting measures? I don't have a clue.

--

RC:
    reginos:

Good point but maybe the investor asked for some cost cutting measures? I don't have a clue.

McLaren does appear to need the liquidity...  C7BEAB03-A272-4B0C-AF73-D01AEAA5AA36.gif

1C35B9FF-FFB7-4BD4-B1B2-BE66099F5DF4.jpeg

E219AF7B-2CB0-4A10-B392-EBCA25E95AF2.jpeg

8074C50B-F6CC-4505-B842-FF28AF987C2E.jpeg

9B4541ED-0964-47D4-A45C-5B066FC3041B.jpeg

8DCB6A76-62EA-44EB-AD53-EC810C988F4D.jpeg

Link: https://investors.mclaren.com/sites/mclaren-ir/files/2020-08/mclaren-h1-2020-results-presentation-26082020-v2.pdf

80% of businesses that fail do so because of cash flow.

And cash flow problems is a symptom of several other underlying causes.

--

reginos:

Why not? Could be part of a new debt-equity mix. Sale-lease-back can make sense for them Smiley

I"m pretty sure they are looking at a sale-leaseback where they would stay in the property under a longterm lease. They would undoubtably already have a mortgage on the property so even if the sale price is £200m, I would suspect they would only unlock £75m to £125m.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I am sure that McLaren will go from one cash shortage to the next until they find a willing buyer most probably from outside Europe, to take the business in toto.

By doing this sale-and-leaseback they might survive for a short period time but they will lose the value of this iconic asset as part of the likely subsequent sale of business as a whole.

I wouldn't buy a McLaren until the business perils are resolved and overcome.

--

Think they did announce the sale-lease back arrangement when the press release went out for putting the complex up for sale.

The HQ side should have been paid for already, but the factory side is much newer, pretty sure there is still a construction loan attached to it. Or could be a mortgage on the HQ to pay for the construction on the factory.

McLaren cars plays in a segment that's very market sensitive, also hyper competitive, and they don't have other products to help out in a economic downturn, unlike say Ferrari with the merchandising side of things.

Their cars are expensive toys, first thing people cut when they have to tighten their belts. 

--

Can these companies still afford to be in F1?  I know many feel it is important for the brand.... but is it really for today's buyers?  I'm not so sure....yes

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2019 Porsche 911 Turbo

As long as they can secure sponsors. F1 teams pretty much racing on someone else's dollars. 

--

MKSGR:
    reginos:

Why not? Could be part of a new debt-equity mix. Sale-lease-back can make sense for them Smiley

Wouldn't be the first company to do that. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688998 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408922 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255623 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234882 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857746 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773706 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM