Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Well, we knew you couldn't be talking about the F1 team.

Flewitt flashed up a slide with pictures of SUVs from Bentley, Lamborghini and Aston - but with a massive cross through it! 'We are a sports car company,' he said. 'For the foreseeable future, we will build two-seat sports cars. We want to be an iconic manufacturer of cars that are great to drive.

indecision 

wink to that!

I'm still intruiged by the McLaren cars, and somehow it would be a bit of a dream come true to own one.  Might have to swing by the dealer some time.

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    I'm still intruiged by the McLaren cars, and somehow it would be a bit of a dream come true to own one.  Might have to swing by the dealer some time.

I agree - they appeal to me also.  Just wish they made a car like a higher performing GT4 as part of their strategy.  For example a lightweight chassis with NA version of their 3.8L V-8 (possibly with wider bore pistons for ~4.2L) that revs to 9k rpm and manual gearbox option.  Such a model would be slower than 570S, but might be really great to drive.

I think of this model as being a GT4 on steroids, but it is also more like an original McLaren F1 shrunken down Smiley

They are planning to add more dealers in the US and one of the first is scheduled to be in Denver. Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Indeed, a slightly smaller, lighter, less powerful, cheaper version would suit me too - although this wouldn't fit with the tub-sharing thing.  It would be interesting to have a poke around the junior one - happily there is a dealer less than a mile from my office angel

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

Zero chance of a manual McLaren IMHO. It would absolutely destroy the high tech vibe of the company...

What would be awesome however is their interpretation of the FF...

SciFrog:

Zero chance of a manual McLaren IMHO. It would absolutely destroy the high tech vibe of the company...

What would be awesome however is their interpretation of the FF...

I think AWD would also damage their image, but the 570GT is going to have some additional storage room in back (but not 4 seats, afaik).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

AWD for the 4 seater like the FF... For the other models honestly they should stay away from AWD. They cars are for nice weather driving anyway... AWD only makes sense in a 911 because it is more a DD...

fritz:

McLaren Automotive, that is:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mclaren/five-things-we-learned-from-mclarens-2014-results/

I don't know... Smiley

In 2014, McLaren generated a pre-tax profit of £15m, on £475m turnover; the previous year's figures were £4.5m and £285m respectively. '248 of our 1649 cars were P1s, which had a significant impact on our revenues,' said boss Flewitt.

Doesn't exactly sound like a huge success story to me and maybe they should make only P1s then. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    fritz:

McLaren Automotive, that is:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/mclaren/five-things-we-learned-from-mclarens-2014-results/

I don't know... Smiley

In 2014, McLaren generated a pre-tax profit of £15m, on £475m turnover; the previous year's figures were £4.5m and £285m respectively. '248 of our 1649 cars were P1s, which had a significant impact on our revenues,' said boss Flewitt.

Doesn't exactly sound like a huge success story to me and maybe they should make only P1s then. Smiley

Will be interesting to see how profitable the 570S will be.  To me, seems like it costs almost as much to make as the more expensive models - I don't see how the profits aren't rather smaller per vehicle...

--

The 12C/650S/P1 trio has pretty much paid for the platform cost, whatever is producing now is like 'freebie'.

For the engines that doesn't pass the test at 650 power level, they get detuned to 570 or 540 level, so they saved on tearing down the engines to rebuild them.

That's already a big chunk of change they saved on cost.

--

Whoopsy:

For the engines that doesn't pass the test at 650 power level, they get detuned to 570 or 540 level, so they saved on tearing down the engines to rebuild them.

I take it that was tongue in cheek? I think there are some hardware differences (like turbochargers at minimum), right?

--

Only the P1's version of the M838T has a different, bigger turbocharger to make the bigger HP.

McLaren said the M838T E version in the 570 and 540 has 30% of the components redesigned, but didn't say it was 30% vs the P1's version or the 650S's version.

The 570S's power level is not much lower than the initial launch rating of the 12C. But the 650S version has moved on to a much higher level. From a manufacturing point of view, it makes perfect sense to re-use the not up to par engines for the lower output level, like how Intel did to bin their chips, heck sometime Intel just bin everything to the lower spec just to make up the volume needed.

570S's engines have a different intake and less exotic material in the valvetrains, so bolting those on the rejected engines will be much more time and cost effective. 

McLaren is not a big operation, and the 570/540 will be the volume leader, they will need to make more of those M838TE engines than the M838T, converting the rejected M838T engines to E spec will help the production volume.

--

https://youtu.be/XaRjldAGMPU

What a beast. Truly remarkable car.

Looks very good there, can't wait for the reviews.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

--

Suzy

pxaxh:

Nice active aero on braking!!!!!

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Crikey angel

--

2015 911 GT3, 2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

pxaxh:

Beautiful video on a beautiful track. I sat in the LT when I was at one of MCL event at Silverstone and they got the ergonomics right, the driving position along with the pedals is just perfect. Sounds trivial but most manufacturers get it wrong.

There is a pretty good article in this month's Christophorus where M Webber drives the Boxster Spyder, first thing he raves on about is the ergonomics, the interaction between car and driver is through the seat, pedals and steering wheel/ feel.One of the reason why I really didn't like the Speciale and why the LFA is only a 9 out of 10 for me. 

Back to the LT, the specs are really good. The noise in the video is much better than what I heard when it was flying by at Silverstone, but it's a Turbo engine so you can't have it all. The weight though is very very impressive. 

Great people too. I think I might let myself get tempted...

Futch:
    pxaxh:

Beautiful video on a beautiful track. I sat in the LT when I was at one of MCL event at Silverstone and they got the ergonomics right, the driving position along with the pedals is just perfect. Sounds trivial but most manufacturers get it wrong.

There is a pretty good article in this month's Christophorus where M Webber drives the Boxster Spyder, first thing he raves on about is the ergonomics, the interaction between car and driver is through the seat, pedals and steering wheel/ feel.One of the reason why I really didn't like the Speciale and why the LFA is only a 9 out of 10 for me. 

Back to the LT, the specs are really good. The noise in the video is much better than what I heard when it was flying by at Silverstone, but it's a Turbo engine so you can't have it all. The weight though is very very impressive. 

If you end up getting one, I'd be interested to read you comparison on this vs. a Speciale. You would think the latter is the purer car...

Have you decided to make the jump on the P1 as well?

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    Futch:
    pxaxh:

If you end up getting one, I'd be interested to read you comparison on this vs. a Speciale. You would think the latter is the purer car...

No I didn't do it in the end, I was offered a P1 XP, one of the early prototypes, but with a full factory refresh including the specs the costumer desires. I think Mclaren sells fvie of them. today F1 XP are worth more than normal F1, but the P1 is no F1, it's a great car I am sure, I like its design and specs but as a road car I reckon Laferrari is better and as a trackday car the LT should logically be better as it weights 200kg less.

The Speciale is too digital on the road and very noisy, on the track its drivetrain shines but it remains a bit too clinical for my taste even with all systems off, you still have a lot of assistance. And like a wrote, the driving position is not good and the seats are rubish.

Futch:
    Porker:
    Futch:
    pxaxh:

No I didn't do it in the end, I was offered a P1 XP, one of the early prototypes, but with a full factory refresh including the specs the costumer desires. I think Mclaren sells fvie of them. today F1 XP are worth more than normal F1, but the P1 is no F1, it's a great car I am sure, I like its design and specs but as a road car I reckon Laferrari is better and as a trackday car the LT should logically be better as it weights 200kg less.

The Speciale is too digital on the road and very noisy, on the track its drivetrain shines but it remains a bit too clinical for my taste even with all systems off, you still have a lot of assistance. And like a wrote, the driving position is not good and the seats are rubish.

Sounds reasonable to me, I still don't understand how they justify this to exisiting customers, suddenly there are a couple of additional P1's in the market... Smiley  Agree on the weight issue for a track-car and with 675ps the LT is hardly wanting for power either I'd say, at a fraction of the cost.

Funny with all these rave reviews one wouldn't hesitate twice to pick-up a Speciale, good to hear a critical voice now and then. Never tried any Ferrari before but I suppose I'd be missing the intimacy and communication an 911 RS offers...

--

Futch:

I think you should Smiley I gave in as well . I think the car is much more than just a tweak on the 12C / 650 S platform. Extensive use of carbon for the weight loss and significant engine and exhaust changes. The back of the car now looks far better than the 12 C and 650 S. I have pushed back delivery to next year and will most probably resist the temptation to keep buying orange with a change to some other brave colour  - watch this space..

Congrats Crayphile, really looking forward to that car!

--

Love the idea to help McLaren in their endeavour. What they have done so far and the way they treat clients with updates and car development is really nice, a couple of step above Ferrari. Porsche is not even in the same league.

I might even consider buying of of their car if they ever consider a 4 seater...

675LT doing some nice donuts at Silverstone yesterday. 

https://www.facebook.com/Shmee150/videos/vb.176218959080034/889419634426626/?type=2&theater

Apparently there is a nice lease offer in Germany for the 650 S Spider (and other models as well). Tempting but I do not have the possibility right now.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Not a MCL (modern fax machines) fan, but this latest one = I approve!

BiTurbo:

Not a MCL (modern fax machines) fan, but this latest one = I approve!

+1

I like it ...... and much more then the 488 !

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661592 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401034 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254574 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229071 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59431 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4375 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853394 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761596 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM