Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Test Drive: Boxster S vs. M Roadster vs. Z4 3.0i (long)

So anyway, I did test drive the Boxster S, M Roadster and my Z4 3.0i back to back to back on the same road test with slaloms and acceleration tests (even uphill acceleration)... My impressions? Here you go...

ACCELERATION
    M Roadster wins this hands down with no surprises. But I'm a little disappointed in the sound. Believe it or not, my Z4 sounded BETTER under full acceleration than the M Roadster. What's up with that? On a normal day to day cruising (shifting within 2.5k to 3.5k), I thought that both cars felt very similar. In day to day driving, I actually prefer my Z4 due to the sound. The M Roadster pulls the same exact way (due to flat torque curve) to redline as my Z4 - but harder. Again, no surprise there.

The 987 Boxster S like the previous generation Boxster S I had driven, felt SLOW in the day to day driving. Where it is or not is irrelevant. It "felt" slow when shifting between 2.5k to 3.5k rpms. I believe this may be due to the torque dip as shown in their dyno plots. The BMW engines have no such dip and they feel smooth throughout the entire rpm range. In fact, the M Roadster engine (330hp, 262 tq) makes the Boxster S's max torque (236 ft-lbs) at about 2500 rpms! My Z4 3.0i (225 hp, 215 tq) makes the same torque as the Boxster S in the lower rpms, but my Z4 feels like it pulls harder in the lower rpms. When revving past 4k rpms, the Boxster S feels and sounds like a monster. You get the feeling like it pulls and pulls and pulls and it's just not going to stop! Mind you, the M Roadster may have been faster with the clock, but the whole experience with the sound was better in the Boxster S, in my opinion. The Boxster S weighs less, so the actual timed difference between the two may be splitting hairs. The M Roadster's sound was disappointing.

SLALOM / TURNS / ROADHOLDING
    The M Roadster felt a lot more stable than my Z4. This is probably due to the non-run flats in the M. While doing slaloms, you could feel the weight of the M Roadster when compared to my Z4. Believe it or not, on a smooth surface, my Z4 actually felt BETTER than the M Roadster. But once the road imperfections come into place, my Z4 started getting "darty" due to the run flat tires. My Z4 suspension also felt stiffer than the M Roadster.

The Boxster S really shined in the slaloms. I didn't think I would be able to appreciate the difference, but driving the cars back to back to back really pointed out a lot of things... Mainly, the M Roadster and Z4 are way behind in steering feel. The Boxster S felt THAT good. It was significantly more confidence inspiring than either BMW's. In fact, it felt like a heavier Miata - my all time favorite handling/fun car. Of course, the Boxster S is light years more refined than the Miata. But I've owned a Miata and it still breaks my heart when it left my hands.

The Boxster S's road handling was firm, but compliant. I can't fully describe it, but it just felt better than either the M or my current Z4. The test drive was on the same roads so I was really looking for the difference among the three cars.

BRAKING
    The M Roadster has massive cross drilled rotors as does the Boxster S. Both of them felt really good. But I would give the Boxster S the slight edge in feel. I'm sure both would have similar stopping ability, but the Boxster S's felt better.

INTERIOR
    The M Roadster's fat steering wheel was really, really nice. It felt like one of those "squeeze balls" and it made you want to grip it over and over. It felt therapeutic! The M seats were really nice as well. The side bolsters kept you in place and this was really lacking in my Z4. The shifter felt great - exactly as my Z4. All else was exactly the same as my Z4. The sport button response was the same. I really like the on/off sport button in that it made "tooling around" much easier with the lighter steering feel when off. Call me lazy, but sometimes I just don't feel like putting both hands on the steering wheel and I just want to use 1 finger to steer. Of course, this is not possible with the Boxster S.

The Boxster S steering required both hands to steer. It's not light in any manner. Although the shifter of the Boxster S was good, it was slightly less smooth than my Z4 and M Roadster. The standard seats are not as good as the M Roadster's, but are still better than my Z4. The rest of the interior of the Boxster S is awesome. It's more suited to my taste than the M or my Z4.

STEREO
    No contest. The Boxster S stereo with/without Bose is an absolute joke compared to the HK/Carver system in the M Roadster and my Z4. Bose should be ashamed. I don't care if Porsche spec'ed out the stereo and Bose simply "gave them what they wanted". Bose has a reputation to uphold and they should recall all the Bose stereos in the Boxsters... Please, no comments about "it's a convertible and the sound is compromised to begin with" yada yada yada yada. When I'm sitting in a parking lot or sitting in traffic, I want to be able to appreciate my music.

OTHER OBSERVATIONS
    There are no fog lights in the M Roadster. What's up with that? Further, to add insult to injury, I looked at where the air vents (the previous location of the fog lights) were pointing to. Looking through the vents, you will see that they point to the tires and not the brakes!!! This is ridiculous. The vents on my 1999 M3 point to the brakes where they are supposed to. The only way I could see those air vents cooling the brakes is when you are turning left or right. Maybe they are not supposed to cool the brakes? Then give me my fog lights back!!! I saw no such nonsense in the Boxster S.

The trunk of the M Roadster is compromised due to the battery and air pump. Still, I was able to fit my "roll-aboard" suitcase right next to it such that I could still fit two roll-aboard suitcases. The Boxster S still has more trunk space.

I can't order the M Roadster with an all "beige" interior! Also, the "Imola Red" exterior is too dark for me. I like the "Bright Red" of my Z4 and the "Guards Red" of the Boxster S. I see that the regular Z4 can still be ordered with a full beige interior (beige mats, carpet, footwells, door trim, etc.). On the M Roadster, if you order the "full leather" option, only the center tunnel is the same color as the seats. The carpet, footwells, door trims, etc. are still black. Yuck.

LOOKS
    You know, I've always liked the Z4 body style. It just looks good to me from every angle. I love the uniqueness of it. The dual exhaust on the M even looks better. People who used to bash it, give me credit once they actually see it in person. I've always bashed the looks of the Boxster ever since it came out - joking that I never knew if it's coming or going since the front looked like the back. In Guards Red with the Carrera S wheels, it looks good...

So between the M Roadster and the Boxster S, these are what I liked:
    M Roadster: seats, steering wheel, engine, looks, sport button, stereo, price
    Boxster S: engine sound, steering feel, suspension, brakes, interior, luggage space, color combinations

So what am I ordering? I'm going with the Boxster S! It was a tough call. I had to factor in that I wouldn't feel that I had a new car if I ordered an M Roadster due to my familiarity with my Z4. But the Boxster S felt so good that I am certain I would have more fun with it. I think that it would really be much more fun to drive than the M Roadster.

Re: Test Drive: Boxster S vs. M Roadster vs. Z4 3.0i (long)

Wise choice

good comments ,good choice....

I'm also going to humor my curiosity by testing the Z4 and M-roadster, however I fully expect to end up with a Boxster (don't really need the "S"). To me, it's just the purist's choice and I love my Dad's 986. I do like the design of the Z4 and the colors are decent. I think the sound difference of the Z4 and M is the lack of sound tube in the M. As for sound, who cares? The flat 6 is so fantastic, however I take your point, sometimes you want to be able to listen to music and Bose sucks anyhow...what a waste and shame. No special audio packages for me!
    So I'm excited to try the M, but even more for the opportunity to buy a Boxster.

how do u compare the steering 'feel' between the Z4M and the Z4???

when I test drove the 3.0 Z4, I absolutely hated the steering. too light and vague.

Nice post.Would your decision have been the same if you didn't previously own a Z4?

Nice review. Objective and unbiased. Out of interest, did the Boxster have PASM or not?

Quote:
    cym104 said:I fully expect to end up with a Boxster (don't really need the "S"

Drive them both, and you're gonna want the 'S' version!

Quote:
    derder said:
    how do u compare the steering 'feel' between the Z4M and the Z4???

when I test drove the 3.0 Z4, I absolutely hated the steering. too light and vague.

The MZ4's steering is harder. I drove both with the sport button "on" which stiffened the steering. The steering is definitley better in the MZ4 especially with that nice fat steering wheel. Also, the MZ4 does not have that "electric" assist that the Z4 does.

Quote:
    nicholas j said:
    Nice post.Would your decision have been the same if you didn't previously own a Z4?

I've been wrestling with that. Even my fiance who drove the cars also, has been wrestling with that. If price were not an issue, I would still probably go with the Boxster S - more trunk, better interior, more "raw"

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Nice review. Objective and unbiased. Out of interest, did the Boxster have PASM or not?

No PASM.

Good choice, a no brainer.

I don't like land sharks.

Valid Points. Thank You!

Ok, so I pick up my Boxster S this past weekend... my first impressions after about 300 miles are:

1. Stereo is not as bad when you don't have the Z4 HK/Carver system to jump into for immediate comparison
    2. Car is more noisy on the highway than my Z4.
    3. Car handles SO MUCH better than my Z4.
    4. Seats are super perfect for me - hold me perfectly
    5. Heated seats suck - no where near as hot as the Z4.
    6. I LOVE all the buttons!!! It's like a new adventure figuring out what is what!
    7. I'm really liking the dual trunk space - it's more like a "his and hers" trunk space. I put my wife's stuff in the front, I put mine in the back...
    8. Blindspot is worse than in the Z4.
    9. LOVE that huge glove box and all the cubby holes. The Z4's glove box is good for tissues only.
    10. Shifter throw is longer than Z4's. Z4's shift action is smoother.
    11. Brakes are phenomenal.
    12. Clutch feel is better than Z4.

Overall so far? I'm super happy even sans 15 hp from MY07 which I most likely will not be able to feel physically, but definitely mentally...

13. What's with the freakin 2000 mile breakin period? Is this ludicrous or what? With all the RMS issues, I'm scared to take it past 4000 rpms!!!!

Congrats.
    2000 miles break in is indeed ludicrous.
    600 miles and you can play with the redline (moderatly).
    Enjoy!
    Don't worry about the RMS issues.
    If something happens, you've got the warranty anyway.
    Porsche is good in that respect.
    Just had my PSE replaced, in three working days, no problem at all.

I wouldn't wait past 1000 miles, and I would drive it past 4k after 750 even. When my new '01 BoxS was only a week old (with a couple of hundred miles on it), I took it on a Porsche Club tour through the Ozarks and ran the heck out of it. After that, and countless DE weekends, and about 50k miles, my 3.2 ran as strong as the day I bought it, and it never consumed oil over its entire life span.

I wouldn't sweat break-in for 2k, personally.

I have never heard RMS is related to break-in at all. Is this a popular theory?

Congrats on your new ride
    Seems that you're happy with having chosen the 987 S instead of something different

Quote:
    M3Armand said:

13. What's with the freakin 2000 mile breakin period? Is this ludicrous or what? With all the RMS issues, I'm scared to take it past 4000 rpms!!!!

2000 mile break-in + RMS-fear is also just a mental thing - like the missing 15 ponies

I second Fanch's and adrift's recommendations - there is no problem in revving the engine beyond 4,000 rpm after some hundred miles - just make sure to warm up the engine before doing so (my rule of thumb: 10 minutes after the water temp gauge indicates 80*C the engine should be ready for action) and avoid redlining or full throttle during the first 1,500 km). BTW there is absolutely no evidence of any correlation between break-in fashion and RMS-failure AFAIK.

And now just enjoy your wonderful car - oh, and don't forget to submit some pics

One more thing to add...

14. <<insert flame retardant suit here>> I like the SHAPE of the Z4 much better - the front, the profile and the back!!! Good thing I spend more time INSIDE driving the car than outside looking at it. I think my Carrera S wheels certainly helped make the car look better. But the Z4's shape is just so much more "ballsy". Yes, the Boxster's shape is more "conservative". I'm clearly not on the conservative end of things when it comes to this. But hey, the Boxster is a more complete car and I'm really liking it...

Addendum to #6: I absolutely LOVE the fact that all the buttons make the car "unintuitive"... Why? Because as soon as I learn to use the freakin' thing, I will be absolutely confident that it will be "personalized" to me. No one else will be able to have the same "connection" as I will with the car. It will be mine, mine, mine. (ok, at least my "key" will be personalized to me. My wife can do whatever she wants with her key and settings)...

15. What's with the cheap looking key? The key for the Cayenne is much better - although I realize that it's the same as the Audi/VW with the "switchblade" type of key. The Porsche key looks like it was made in Taiwan....wait...maybe it IS made in Taiwan! Sacrilege! Seriously, I remember the Nissan 300ZX keys were even made of Titanium or something like that. These keys are just too big and the plastic looks real cheap. In fact, mine is "defective" already with the buttons working by themselves (locking and unlocking the car repeatedly).
    16. CHEAP owner's manual case. The first time that I saw it, I murmered to my salesman, "Oh, pleather (plastic leather)." He gets insulted and proceeds to tell me it's "Coach" leather. Yeah, whatever. So I empty it out and show him the tag and it said "Vinyl". But who cares? I probably touch that 10 times over my ownership of the car.
    17. LOVE the fact that my MP3 shows artist, track#, etc... It would be *real* funny if it showed lyrics, too! But then I'd get into serious trouble.
    18. Engine sound is intoxicating! Wait..did I mention that already? The car sounds absolutely awesome as you go through the rpms of the engine. It sounds BETTER than the M Roadster (which sounds a bit tinny to me). It does NOT sound better than my old Z4 which had acoustics (sound generators) built in to make it sound that way.
    Repeat #3, #11 and #12 above. Spending more and more seat time in this thing makes me wonder why I even considered the M Roadster.

Quote:
    M3Armand said:
    2. Car is more noisy on the highway than my Z4.

I replaced a Z4 3.0 with a 987 Boxster S, and I found the Boxster to be less noisy on highway.
    Less wind noise, but more motor noise, so I guess it depends on how you're driving on highways

Quote:
    M3Armand said:
    5. Heated seats suck - no where near as hot as the Z4.

Never had them on a Z4, but they're too hot for me in the Boxster !

Quote:
    M3Armand said:
    8. Blindspot is worse than in the Z4.

Did not notice anything different here...

Quote:
    M3Armand said:
    10. Shifter throw is longer than Z4's. Z4's shift action is smoother.

The Z4 shifter was crap on mine compared to the Boxster...
    Longer and very far from the Boster's shifter smoothness !

But I agree with everything else

My Z4 3.0 had the sports package and the "mesh" windscreen. I wouldn't have thought the mesh would do anything, but after driving with and without, I found it made a huge difference and significantly reduced wind noise/buffeting. But I couldn't stand the mesh since it seriously distorted my visibility. I like the Boxster's much better.

You think the Boxster's shifter is smoother? Hmm. I had the sports package in my Z4 and it was super smooth. Even my wife noticed this immediately during the test drive and our own. But this was true for 4 of 4 Boxster S's that we drove. So, it thankfully can't be attributed to my shifter being bad.

great share~!

Careful about what you put in the rear trunk for a long trip ... it needs to be heat resistant. ABSOLUTELY do not put your wife's makeup in there, or you will have a really bad weekend.

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    CABSOLUTELY do not put your wife's makeup in there, or you will have a really bad weekend.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810882 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451260 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268622 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91497 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8320 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889947 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847003 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM