Crown

Forum - Thread

uh oh...soon from Porsche ..synthetic sound via speakers

reportedly , totally fake digital-file rpm based engine sounds will be played back through the speakers for the coming 4 cyl turbo motors for the 981.2 models ....they must sound awful otherwise 

tip of the iceberg ....I think the entire industry will gradually adapt this in the coming years as the drivetrains must meet ever stricter noise and emissions stds as well as additions of non combustion drivetrain enhancers  to even the sportiest of the supercars ...all further muffling the unique  iconic sounds of each brand 

full electric" sports car "  vehicles would be the full beneficiaries 

Porsche being Porsche, they will have a 5k option that allows you to chose from 10 different drivetrain sounds inside, incl full on LeMans LMP1 racer , LOL 

Re: uh oh...soon from Porsche ..synthetic sound via speakers

What's the big deal? Everyone is watching YouTube videos saying how sweet car X sounds and how bad car Y sounds, so clearly fake noise can sound fine...

If this is true - and I don't doubt it - just content we decided to get the traditional and magnificent sounding flat six when we did. A turbo four Boxster has no appeal to me whatsoever. Smiley I'd rather have a Macan S Diesel.

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

That's all fine if you have a choice and can just turn it off if you don't want to hear the canned soundtrack. Otherwise, it's the stupidest idea ever.

dreamcar:

If this is true - and I don't doubt it - just content we decided to get the traditional and magnificent sounding flat six when we did. A turbo four Boxster has no appeal to me whatsoever. Smiley I'd rather have a Macan S Diesel.

--

and Porsche is hoping future buyers of said Macan Diesel andits other SUV or sedan stablemates across the line will pay $$$ to have an option that significantly sublimates each motor's interior  native sound by digital noise cancellation and overlaying your choice of the roar of a GT3RS, etc per selection on the PCM screen 

of course , they prob wouldn't offer this to buyers of lower model 911s , for obvious reasons ! 

Lotus engrs have been developing this technology for sev yrs as a supplier to any interested manufacturer and reportedly Tesla is looking into it 

would you go for that ...I'm sure the Playstation generation certainly would 

I would feel embarrased and stupid to drive a car with such a system turned on. I cannot find a reasoning in which someonewith minimum self respect could be fine with it on.

--

It does sound very silly.  It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid, and we put baseball cards into our bike spokes...

But perhaps one day, in the very distant future, people will have become accustomed to different engines, and the reciprocating engine's noise will be perceived as loud and embarrassing.  Probably not a popular comment to make here, but I'm just sayin'.

Like cell phone ringtones, which started out as similar to traditional phones, then moved into stranger tones, then on to music.  I don't think the first cell phones would have been successful without the original continuity of perception.  What is fun and expressive now would have been far too embarrassing originally, I think.

If you had a private jet, would you want it silent, or sounding like a sopwith camel?

davew (cincy):

If you had a private jet, would you want it silent, or sounding like a sopwith camel?

If I had a private jet I would want it to sound like Concorde....Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    davew (cincy):

If I had a private jet I would want it to sound like Concorde....Smiley

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

A turd is a turd - you can polish it or roll it in glitter, but either way its still a turd!

enlightened

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

Lots of cars already have it. You can't turn it off in BMWs, either, you have to actually unplug the module under the trunk liner. You don't really notice it. yes

where do you have this info from?  source?

Carlos from Spain:

I would feel embarrased and stupid to drive a car with such a system turned on. I cannot find a reasoning in which someonewith minimum self respect could be fine with it on.

Why? It's no different than watching a movie or playing a video game. Would you rather watch Star Wars with or without sound effects?

No, it's actually as though you were watching a movie and the maker of your blu-ray player decided to add the sound of a reel-to-reel projector whirring away to the sound track, of every movie you play, you know, so you get that old-timey feel to the experience.

noone1:
    Carlos from Spain:

Why? It's no different than watching a movie or playing a video game. Would you rather watch Star Wars with or without sound effects?

Fail to see how one example even relates to the other... unless you think that the experience of driving a sportscar in real life is basically the same as driving in a PlayStation driving simulator Smiley

--

Considering there is less and less interaction with cars by the day, pretty soon it will be...

You guy are too hung up on the principle of it. If it sounds good, then who cares? Jimi Hendrix isn't sitting next to you and the real sound in a studio is nothing like what gets mastered, but we all still love it and turn it up.

Take it for what it is -- sound waves. It sounds good or it doesn't. I know for a fact a 911 Turbo sounds like crap, so I'm willing to bet adding some additional range through the speaker would be an improvement. It's not like they are replacing all the noise in the cabin with digital sound. The engine is still back there making noise, as are the tires,  etc. It will merely augment the existing noise and perhaps add some more range.

It's just like movies or video games. You need to master the noise because the reality of it is quite boring and difficult to capture. Same principle.

noone1:

Considering there is less and less interaction with cars by the day, pretty soon it will be...

You guy are too hung up on the principle of it. If it sounds good, then who cares? Jimi Hendrix isn't sitting next to you and the real sound in a studio is nothing like what gets mastered, but we all still love it and turn it up.

Who cares?... Its FAKE! Smiley Sorry but the principle is everything, that is why I don't put fake badges on my cars or wear fake clothes or watches just because they look like the original.

Jimi Hendrix? what does music have to do with it? Smiley do you have a CD of engine sounds to listen to at home or at the gym?

The sound of an car engine is only enjoyable in relation to the engine that is producing it, it's a consecuence of what the engine is doing and what that implies in driving, having a fake sound that has nothing to do with the engine adds zero acustical enjoyment to the equation. Better a crappy sound or no sound at all that a fake simualted fantasy engine sound through the speakers. Is it also going to produce a fake downshift rev match in manuals so that you think you are doing hell and toe? I'm wondering if you can choose the engine soundtrack you want too?... like a Carrera V10 now, later a small block V8, then a flat-plane crankshaft V12, etc...?

I'm sure some poeple will like to have wind noise added for extra sensation of speed and tire squealing noise in the corners or when using launch control at a stoplight es too so they can feel like a drift master... you could even have fake smoke producing tubes next to the rear tires that will simulate tire smoke  tongue.png 1331921569018Popcorn_Smiley_by_Probocaster.gif

--

I agree with Carlos. The principle of what the car is actually doing is the key. Engineering an exciting exhaust note is desirable and expected. Playing a fake exhaust note is the definition of being a poser.

Carlos from Spain:
    noone1:

Who cares?... Its FAKE! Smiley Sorry but the principle is everything, that is why I don't put fake badges on my cars or wear fake clothes or watches just because they look like the original.

Jimi Hendrix? what does music have to do with it? Smiley do you have a CD of engine sounds to listen to at home or at the gym?

The sound of an car engine is only enjoyable in relation to the engine that is producing it, it's a consecuence of what the engine is doing and what that implies in driving, having a fake sound that has nothing to do with the engine adds zero acustical enjoyment to the equation. Better a crappy sound or no sound at all that a fake simualted fantasy engine sound through the speakers. Is it also going to produce a fake downshift rev match in manuals so that you think you are doing hell and toe? I'm wondering if you can choose the engine soundtrack you want too?... like a Carrera V10 now, later a small block V8, then a flat-plane crankshaft V12, etc...?

I'm sure some poeple will like to have wind noise added for extra sensation of speed and tire squealing noise in the corners or when using launch control at a stoplight es too so they can feel like a drift master... you could even have fake smoke producing tubes next to the rear tires that will simulate tire smoke  tongue.png 1331921569018Popcorn_Smiley_by_Probocaster.gif

kiss

Plus, from a purely practical point of view, if you always have this "perfect" engine sound coming to you over the speakers, you may not hear that you have something wrong with your engine until it gets so bad that it is too late to do something simple to fix it.

Do you guys plan on wearing headphones while you drive? Pumping some engine noise through the speaker isn't going to magically mute the engine right behind you. If I can hear the engine in an S-class, I'm pretty sure I'll always be able to hear it in a 911.

Principle? The best Porsches shift the same way they do in a video game -- two buttons. Ferrari programs drifting into their E-diff, Lamborghini steering is electric and dynamic, and McLaren's aero is active and automatic, all cars blip the throttle. Hell, even a true manual Corvette has a sensor to tell when you're downshifting and blips the throttle. The analog purity of driving went out the window a long time ago.

Some extra sound through the speakers to make it sound better? Why not? They've already fooled you into thinking you're Superman on the track and suddenly so much better a driver in the latest car, so why not make you think your car actually sounds half way decent? 911 Turbo with normal exhaust is already a snoozefest to a lot of people, so I'm pretty sure anything will be an improvement.

You guys act like they are going to fill the car with sound deadening material and pump F1 noises into the car. They are most likely going to use a very similar frequency range true to the natural exhaust. 

From BMW:
    "In generating its signals, Active Sound Design takes its cues from the firing sequence of the eight-cylinder engine and the frequency range of the exhaust system. This gives the driver an extremely accurate impression of current engine load and an even more intense sensation of the V8's high-performance characteristics."

A key difference is that the technologies you mention actually improve performance. A Soundtrack Is a lie, nothing more

At least it's a lie designed to improve the experience at no expense, as opposed to put you to sleep like those other technologies have. 911 TT is one of the highest performance cars available and yet a lot of people find it boring.

Being that sound is one of the few things left, I'd welcome technology designed to improve that side of the experience.

sound is the only real attainable on current million dollar " hyper cars  " in the great majority of their  " use " : trolling Rodeo Drive or equivalent , worldwide ...don't kid yourselves otherwise ...most are bought and determined to be already too precious from  the showroom floor to put in harms way on the track or to put mileage on , ss its owners already have " beaters " for those roles 

One of the reasons, I bought a manual gearbox naturally aspirated V8 R8. No fake sound, a gated shifter, nice revving V8. I am not racing the car otherwise PDK would be my choice too.

Isn't it a little like the artificial shutter sound of a cheap digital camera?

Artificial engine sound doesn't add to safety or performance of the car. And as for the 'experience', if it doesn't feel cheap for you now, it will feel cheap when you have the same sound in a Tata. 

I wouldn't expect Porsche would come to this mind to do such thing.....  

I am 100%sure they will never do that!!!!  no way!!!!!!!!  Company's history and culture will be in risk if they start playing such idiotic, pointless, childish tricks.....   They could however put more money into developing better sound exhaust...  I rather have a mild sound than a freaking speaker sound.... 

I prefer a muted sound then a fake sound .

I am also getting a bit tired of exhausts sounds that have been too engineered  . It also becomes natural that way.

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

If you like artificial sound, how about fake watches, handbags or designer cloth? Fake is fake!

Time to get your favorite vintage car and keep it. A huge part of the emotions are coming from the exhaust. 

Lars997:

Time to get your favorite vintage car and keep it. A huge part of the emotions are coming from the exhaust.

What a shame I sold that Ferrari 250GTO.....Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    Lars997:

What a shame I sold that Ferrari 250GTO.....Smiley

This is shame in any kind of aspect Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688075 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408501 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234685 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857416 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773075 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM