Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Macan vs. Mercedes-Benz GLC

Why would you need to study that data? There's a voice giving you the instructions and in many models there's a HUD which shows the directions as well. In my M4, I never look at the central display when I use navigation while driving. yes

--

Suzy

I have not used in car navigation for months since Waze was introduced... Waze saves me almost an hour a week...

GLC.jpg

apias:
    SuzyF:
    apias:
    RC:

The Audi way is the wrong way, if you mean this one:

audi-tt-display-tacho-armaturen-ces.jpg

Worst design ever. I predict that drivers in these cars will have a higher accident rate than others. Looking down through the steering wheel at complex information takes both your central and peripheral vision off the road for too long, whereas looking over to the center does not. They haven't thought this through at all.

That's what HUDs are for... Smiley

I got to drive our friends' new TT last week and I got used to it within 5 minutes. I absolutely love it! It's not any more distracting than a normal dash and I actually prefer it over a normal dash. I'm a huge fan of this.

Were you using the map software to Navigate? This is one of the areas I think people will run into trouble. This is a place for analogue gauges that you can understand instantly without (your brain) having to interpret. Not a place for data you need to study.

Who will need analogue instruments to look at while driving? The only thing I look at is the digital speedometer and the analogue speedometer is not used in my view. Agree to that the Audi solution is one of the best and the big plus with virtual cockpit is that everyone can configure it according to preferences. If you don't want the map in there you can have big analogue (digital) displays in hi-res that looks very modern.

As mentioned, the A/Q-series will have the dual screen solution which is the best of both worlds. Compemented with a HUD it is very good. Most important stuff in the HUD, google earth naviscreen in the drivers view and entertainment mode in the screen between the front seats.

2016-audi-q7-cockpit.jpg2015-Detroit-2016-Audi-Q7-12.jpg

The new model is a huge improvement in looks over the previous GLK, which must have been a very easy task.

It will be an alternative to the X3 the Q5 and some Japanese SUVs but I don't think it will ruffle the Macan at all.

A good additional model for Mercedes buyers.

--

"Form follows function"

Now if they clean up the design of the GL I might consider it... For large 7 seater it's that or an Escalade...

First models are 4cyl only and they are aimed to mostly X3 buyers.

But, when 450 AMG and specially 63/63S AMG models appear next year many will have tough time to justify Macan Turbo price since GLC AMG models will be cheaper and in 63 models case a lot faster.

Again nothing new. ML63AMG and X5M vs Cayenne turbo...

Oh, something new... GLC 63S AMG with 4.0L 510ps V8 against Macan Turbo with 400ps V6.

Is that reliable info? That seems like a lot of HP for that segment...

KresoF1:

Oh, something new... GLC 63S AMG with 4.0L 510ps V8 against Macan Turbo with 400ps V6.

This is simply another class!

I really like this GLC.... looks beautiful, especially interior is nice. Let's hope for the AMG. 

SciFrog:

Sounds quite credible, since there's a 360hp AMG version of the smaller GLA in the same segment, the GLA 45 AMG 4Matic. The engine is just a turbocharged in-line 4 cylinder. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    SciFrog:

Sounds quite credible, since there's a 360hp AMG version of the smaller GLA in the same segment, the GLA 45 AMG 4Matic. The engine is just a turbocharged in-line 4 cylinder. 

But this is a C-Class not an A-Class!

Lars997:
    fritz:
    SciFrog:

That is my point.  Smiley  
    If M-B will put a 360hp engine in a smaller, lighter, cheaper A-Class GL-range car, then it is entirely credible that it will stretch to a 510hp engine for the C-Class GL-range model.   

--

fritz

Lars997:

GLC.jpg

Ha - good catch Lars!!  I will be the outlier here and call the GLC a boring and safe design.  The GLK had a very distinctive design, yes a bit boxy but not ashamed of it, that was very successful at least in most areas I visit.  I know 3 women and a man who own one - they all love its looks.  This looks like a station wagon, and this could spell trouble in the US where they hate station wagons - but perhaps more success in the EU where people hate SUVs.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

fritz:
    Lars997:
    fritz:
    SciFrog:

That is my point.  Smiley  
    If M-B will put a 360hp engine in a smaller, lighter, cheaper A-Class GL-range car, then it is entirely credible that it will stretch to a 510hp engine for the C-Class GL-range model.  

It's already confirmed - but the way I read it with the non S only - so around 476 PS.... - but torque surely will be around 650-700 NM which will be a lot of fun for a GLC

4trac:
    Lars997:

Ha - good catch Lars!!  I will be the outlier here and call the GLC a boring and safe design.  The GLK had a very distinctive design, yes a bit boxy but not ashamed of it, that was very successful at least in most areas I visit.  I know 3 women and a man who own one - they all love its looks.  This looks like a station wagon, and this could spell trouble in the US where they hate station wagons - but perhaps more success in the EU where people hate SUVs.  

But as it looks like a Mini-Q7, people might like it. AFAIK the Q7 is pretty much successful in the US?

SUV comes down to interior IMO. You could swap the lights on any SUV and re-badge it whatever you want, and it would be believable. There is only so much to do with normal SUV design.

That said, I think this Mercedes SUV looks nice on the inside. Really like that satin brown color as well.

SuzyF:

Why would you need to study that data? There's a voice giving you the instructions and in many models there's a HUD which shows the directions as well. In my M4, I never look at the central display when I use navigation while driving. yes

We borrowed a 3 series last year for a few days that had the HUD when we thought we were going to buy a 335d touring - BMW's HUD is an amazing piece of kit with all the info you need in your line of sight. Smiley Porsche seem traditionally slow in offering this kind of technology Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

A HUD is fine, just down through the steering wheel is a bad place because you don't have good peripheral vision up and down, compared to the sides. You might end up studying the map because you want to see what's ahead, rather than just blindly waiting for the instructions. This is why analogue dials are better there. You don't have to interpret the information, you just understand it at a quick glance, whereas, numbers, words, maps, etc, your have to actually look at longer to comprehend.

I have HUD since at least 12-15 years in my BMWs and today even in the Mini. The system evolved amazingly. I never had problem that the steering is in the way. For me positioning was always perfect!

I agree dreamcar - for my father was the HUD also the reason not to buy an Cayenne and he recently ordered an X5M instead. Already 3 years ago he wanted to get a Cayenne but also there - it was the X5M. 

Since Porsche belongs now to VW - I hoped to see more innovations, but apparently it still takes way to long. It feels that a VW Passat or even a Golf can be equiped with many more innovations than a Cayenne. And looking towards Audi they are today on eye level with BMW - also having online-assistants, etc. Porsche is light years behind! That's why I always said - for a sports car it is ok, but for a luxury sedan it misses way to many innovations.

Lars997:

I have HUD since at least 12-15 years in my BMWs and today even in the Mini. The system evolved amazingly. I never had problem that the steering is in the way. For me positioning was always perfect!

I agree dreamcar - for my father was the HUD also the reason not to buy an Cayenne and he recently ordered an X5M instead. Already 3 years ago he wanted to get a Cayenne but also there - it was the X5M. 

Since Porsche belongs now to VW - I hoped to see more innovations, but apparently it still takes way to long. It feels that a VW Passat or even a Golf can be equiped with many more innovations than a Cayenne. And looking towards Audi they are today on eye level with BMW - also having online-assistants, etc. Porsche is light years behind! That's why I always said - for a sports car it is ok, but for a luxury sedan it misses way to many innovations.

I'd say that Porsche is more inclined to expend its resources on innovations in the fields of drive train and chassis development, instead of gadgets and gizmos. This does result in the products falling behind the state-of-the-art where in-car entertainment, SatNavs, etc, are concerned.

--

fritz

Lars997:

That's because it's HUD. The Audi system is HDD.

apias:
    Lars997:

That's because it's HUD. The Audi system is HDD.

Smiley Smiley love your humor!

Technically Audi's system is more HU&DD though... Smiley

--

Suzy

I believe the industry term is "Bobblehead Display". blush

Not a fan of HUD, I consider it to be rather a distraction than an asset. Only exception: Night vision HUDs which allow to see obstacles/persons in complete darkness but to be blunt, I don't have much experience with such systems.

Never forget that even a fraction of a second distraction can lead to a fatal situation, so no, no HUD for me.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Not a fan of HUD, I consider it to be rather a distraction than an asset. Only exception: Night vision HUDs which allow to see obstacles/persons in complete darkness but to be blunt, I don't have much experience with such systems.

Never forget that even a fraction of a second distraction can lead to a fatal situation, so no, no HUD for me.

So different opinions can be. 

I had the night vision in the Bimmer and to me it was useless. You don't watch the screen in the night. 

But - HUD, I will always prefer the car with the HUD, less distractive. The eye doesn't have to focus that much between instruments and street. And together with the people-warning-assistant, it is right in the middle of the HUD - so now I really see some dangerous situations, while the night vision had it down in the instrument cluster. 

in other words - I even think HUD is a must for modern cars!

Lars997:

no doubt the EU will make it mandatory soon ...

sfo:
    Lars997:

no doubt the EU will make it mandatory soon ...

Smiley I doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lars997:
    RC:

So different opinions can be. 

I had the night vision in the Bimmer and to me it was useless. You don't watch the screen in the night. 

But - HUD, I will always prefer the car with the HUD, less distractive. The eye doesn't have to focus that much between instruments and street. And together with the people-warning-assistant, it is right in the middle of the HUD - so now I really see some dangerous situations, while the night vision had it down in the instrument cluster. 

Smiley +1 Should be mandatory in EVERY car....

--

Suzy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762927 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435622 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260645 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257663 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872526 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807939 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM