Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

MKSGR:
    J.Seven:
    All press have been saying the difference in power compared with 458 is huge so it´s strange you didn´t felt the difference!

Press is writing a lot - objectively, a difference in power of approx. 15% is noticeable but not super impressive. Other elements of sensation (sound, design, feel) might be more important than just this power increase... These cars are all quick. What makes the difference is not the engine power Smiley

what you feel very clearly is the torque increase at low revs.

peter

MKSGR:
    J.Seven:
    All press have been saying the difference in power compared with 458 is huge so it´s strange you didn´t felt the difference!

Press is writing a lot - objectively, a difference in power of approx. 15% is noticeable but not super impressive. Other elements of sensation (sound, design, feel) might be more important than just this power increase... These cars are all quick. What makes the difference is not the engine power Smiley

We´re talking about two different kind of power deliver in this case, if both were atmo engines you could be right but not in this case, the torque makes a huge difference.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

J.Seven:
    Lars997:

I had a chance to drive the 488 shortly yesterday. As I was taking around by Onur a week ago in his gorgeous 458 I kind of had an comparison. 

First: Yes - it is an impressive car. First thing I noticed. The car felt softer from the seats than the one of Onur. But - his car had the carbon sport-seats. Anyway - the 488 felt softer.  Suspension, grip, etc - it was softer also on the ride. But again - sport suspensions vs. stock settings. 

In sound it was disappointing. I tried all Manetono settings and barely find a change in sound. The beast didn't come out - at least I didn't hear it inside the car. Onurs 458 screams like the hells angels after a Doberman bites their testicles - but this car was rather like a pussy cat "miawing" for some more milk.

Acceleration. The car is fast - very fast. But hey, the 458 is the same. I didn't notice it is an Turbo car - would have to lie if I would say I could notice. It Rev's like an combustion engine, it breath like on. Ohhh - hold on, there it was again - that sound of the Turbo - yes, that was clearly notable. 

Interior, craftmanship, etc. - For me identical to the 458. No change here.

Would I buy it - maybe with the right sport exhaust. Would I prefer a second hand 458 for probably half the price of a 488 - definitely - as I hardly could see or notice the change.

I admit that a Ferraristi owning the 458 for sure will feel much more difference than I did. But for me driving now both cars within that short time and not owning an Ferrari, it felt like the same cars. One with sport set up and one with comfort set up.

Hi Lars, I´m very surprised with your report, would have thought you would be way way more impressed with 488 Smiley All press have been saying the difference in power compared with 458 is huge so it´s strange you didn´t felt the difference! You really don´t seem impressed with anything , even the design difference between the two, handling, sound! Do you think by spending more time with the car you could change you mind?

Don't missunderstand me - I think it is an very impressive car - gorgeous looking, extremely fast. 

Just - having felt that stunning ride of Onur a week ago, I didn't get the same emotions of the 488. It might have been the roads, it might have been the standard equipped 488 with its "cushion seats" vs. the sport seats. 

The power is extreme, but hey - the 458 is already extreme fast. I didn't feel the extra power. Even compared to my SLS - I know numbers are speaking different, but it didn't feel that much faster. Felt even less beasty than the SLS - which might be that the SLS always dances with the rear when accelerating through the first 3 gears - again, different layout - light rear vs. heavy rear. 

As I said before, the 488 is a perfect car. I wouldn't mind driving one every day to work, supermarket, kinder-garden, ... Smiley My lack of impression is by judging against an high level and a fascinating processor. 

Again - would I buy it - in an heart beat when money doesn't matter. If I get an 458 well in shape for 100k less - I would take that one and put the other 100k on the bank or buying some watches (kidding). Second reason - the 458 is more rough, more sporty - with that little tick of less perfection it gives so much more fun. A bit like the difference of the 997 towards the 991 - we all know the new generations are getting faster but they kind of take emotions - through perfection - away!

what's ur color of choice?

Lars997:

...If I get an 458 well in shape for 100k less - I would take that one and put the other 100k on the bank or buying some watches (kidding). ...

C'mon, you're not kidding here at all. SmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Lars997:

...If I get an 458 well in shape for 100k less - I would take that one and put the other 100k on the bank or buying some watches (kidding). ...

hehe.... regarding the bank - yes I do Smiley

koko:

what's ur color of choice?

I love that silverish-grey, interior in dark cherry red -  Think this suits the car great. 

Once a spciale is out I would probably go for a yellow or any other more crazy color.

1436904716437image.jpg

I will take the LaFerrari first, then the GT, then the 488 if Ferrari decides to sell me a LaFerrari. 

--

Whoopsy:

I will take the LaFerrari first, then the GT, then the 488 if Ferrari decides to sell me a LaFerrari. 

and the F12 GTO ? peter

Whoopsy:

I will take the LaFerrari first, then the GT, then the 488 if Ferrari decides to sell me a LaFerrari

Why? Couldn't you get one? Smiley If you are interested, maybe Futch can help? I think he has many contacts (but I could be wrong).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

I will take the LaFerrari first, then the GT, then the 488 if Ferrari decides to sell me a LaFerrari

Why? Couldn't you get one? Smiley If you are interested, maybe Futch can help? I think he has many contacts (but I could be wrong).

I can always ask but to my knowledge, they are all sold out. 

koko:

1436904716437image.jpg

The LaF looks so compact in that picture. very impressive. The Enzo looks big in the metal, but next to that 488 this looks tiny. 

Saw a yellow Mercedes GT today from the back and I have to say it looked pretty weird, not really nice. Saw a grey met. one two weeks ago in Stuttgart area and it looked much nicer. Not sure how flashy colors work with the GT but apparently not too well in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

I think this is less about contacts but about if you have a long standing customer relationship with the right (race line) models Smiley

RC:

Saw a yellow Mercedes GT today from the back and I have to say it looked pretty weird, not really nice. Saw a grey met. one two weeks ago in Stuttgart area and it looked much nicer. Not sure how flashy colors work with the GT but apparently not too well in my opinion.

Flashy colors never works with any MB model. I don't understand why they insist on showing the gt in yellow Smiley

1437012673679image.jpg

koko:

1437012673679image.jpg

wow  Smiley

Looks awesome in that color!!

RC:
    Whoopsy:

I am not nearly close to Futch's level in regards to standing with Ferrari Smiley haha. Not a long time customer nor 'collector', and I only managed to get in their front door not too long ago, I think they considered me a 'new money' client who is not a celebrity, so my standing is quite down the list. 

My only option is to stand firm on my game with my dealer in regards to 'their' game. I will and is dangling the carrot to them about selling me their incoming LaFerrari with a promise of buying a F12 VS AND a 488 Spyder. That car was allocated to another local customer who is a long time customer and collector but who is not buying the F12 VS nor the 488. They have another one coming but that was to the dealer principal and he wants a heathy profit. No thanks.

They had given me another option a while back to have a LaFerrari, there was a pocket listing of all 5 modern Ferrari halo cars for somewhere north of 8 figures, I turned them down immediately. For that price I'd rather buy a F1.

While the LaFerrari is 'sold out', I know they will make more 'post-production' like they did with the Enzo. Plus, quite a few who already have an allocation might not be able to take delivery (Chinese customers who might already be in jail or executed), so I have kind of hoping that I might make it during secondary allocations. 

--

1437024850162image.jpg
    1437024850183image.jpg

1437025337019image.jpg

J.Seven:
    Lars997:

I had a chance to drive the 488 shortly yesterday. As I was taking around by Onur a week ago in his gorgeous 458 I kind of had an comparison. 

First: Yes - it is an impressive car. First thing I noticed. The car felt softer from the seats than the one of Onur. But - his car had the carbon sport-seats. Anyway - the 488 felt softer.  Suspension, grip, etc - it was softer also on the ride. But again - sport suspensions vs. stock settings. 

In sound it was disappointing. I tried all Manetono settings and barely find a change in sound. The beast didn't come out - at least I didn't hear it inside the car. Onurs 458 screams like the hells angels after a Doberman bites their testicles - but this car was rather like a pussy cat "miawing" for some more milk.

Acceleration. The car is fast - very fast. But hey, the 458 is the same. I didn't notice it is an Turbo car - would have to lie if I would say I could notice. It Rev's like an combustion engine, it breath like on. Ohhh - hold on, there it was again - that sound of the Turbo - yes, that was clearly notable. 

Would I buy it - maybe with the right sport exhaust. Would I prefer a second hand 458 for probably half the price of a 488 - definitely - as I hardly could see or notice the change.

I admit that a Ferraristi owning the 458 for sure will feel much more difference than I did. But for me driving now both cars within that short time and not owning an Ferrari, it felt like the same cars. One with sport set up and one with comfort set up.

Hi Lars, I´m very surprised with your report, would have thought you would be way way more impressed with 488 Smiley All press have been saying the difference in power compared with 458 is huge so it´s strange you didn´t felt the difference! You really don´t seem impressed with anything , even the design difference between the two, handling, sound! Do you think by spending more time with the car you could change you mind?

The performance differance between the 458 and 488 is noticeable if you are driving on a track. But 488 is lack of drama (both in terms of sound, how the car revs and suspension setup). So while 458 accelerates, it gives everything it has till the upshift and then starts again. On the other hand 488 does all of this in a quiet manner and effortlessly.

BTW, My italia is modified with 200 cell sport cats, BMC carbon airbox and ecu tune which in returns makes 100-200 km/h run about 6,1 sec which is very fast for a italia and on par with stock Speciale if not faster. Out of the box, my car was the fastest italia we have ever measured (and we tested 6 458)

So Lars comperason is between my 458 and pre-production rev limited 488. Keep this in mind as a small detail.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Rossi:
    Lars997:

SmileySmileySmiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

BjoernB:

or crazy priced....

http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/ferrari-coupe-occasion?index=1&make=25&returnurl=%2fde%2fautos%2fferrari%3fmake%3d25%26sort%3dprice_desc%26st%3d1%26vehtyp%3d10%26r%3d5&sort=price_desc&st=1&vehid=3305475&vehtyp=10

Hey.... this says "Occassion" - are you telling me they are lying.... thought this is a good deal SmileySmiley

koko:
    RC:

Flashy colors never works with any MB model. I don't understand why they insist on showing the gt in yellow Smiley

Spotted a yellow one in Zürich too a few times and it does look weird. Other colors look far better IMHO, especially metallic.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

pride355:
    J.Seven:
    Lars997:

The performance differance between the 458 and 488 is noticeable if you are driving on a track. But 488 is lack of drama (both in terms of sound, how the car revs and suspension setup). So while 458 accelerates, it gives everything it has till the upshift and then starts again. On the other hand 488 does all of this in a quiet manner and effortlessly.

BTW, My italia is modified with 200 cell sport cats, BMC carbon airbox and ecu tune which in returns makes 100-200 km/h run about 6,1 sec which is very fast for a italia and on par with stock Speciale if not faster. Out of the box, my car was the fastest italia we have ever measured (and we tested 6 458)

So Lars comperason is between my 458 and pre-production rev limited 488. Keep this in mind as a small detail.

Yep... that is what it is.

And my key differentiation was the stiffness - as far as I know you didn't change anything - just you got the sport bucket seats - which certainly are more stiff.

Lars997:
    pride355:
    J.Seven:
    Lars997:

And my key differentiation was the stiffness - as far as I know you didn't change anything - just you got the sport bucket seats - which certainly are more stiff.

Onur 458 is lower than standart, I believe he put some new suspension or springs on it, it´s clearly lower and probably stiffer due to this mod.

I was thinking that in normal daily use the dif in power between the two would be even more pronounced than track like Onus said,  high reving soul of 458 could compensate the power dif. feeling. On street is indeed where the dif should be felt in a bigger way for obvious reason, torque Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

J.Seven:
    Lars997:
    pride355:
    J.Seven:
    Lars997:

Onur 458 is lower than standart, I believe he put some new suspension or springs on it, it´s clearly lower and probably stiffer due to this mod.

I was thinking that in normal daily use the dif in power between the two would be even more pronounced than track like Onus said,  high reving soul of 458 could compensate the power dif. feeling. On street is indeed where the dif should be felt in a bigger way for obvious reason, torque Smiley

I meant the acceleration time wise. On daily basis, 488 has much more torque but 3.0 diesel engines also have more torque. That's why I said racetrack.

on the other hand I lowered my car on stock coilovers so all the suspension parts are stock. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688657 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408740 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234803 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65400 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857606 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773428 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM