Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GTS

throt:

Sorry, Gnil, couldn't resist, but your use to my BS kiss ...

Of course ......SmileySmiley

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Nico997:

Delivered last Friday ! Just fantastic ! blush

And I am in love with rhodium !

Fantastic !! congrats ! I love how that halo looks around the LED lights, It's a must have option for me. You pretty much specced that GTS the exact same way I would have done one. Smiley

Congrats!

Thank you, All ! First drive on the snow today...

--

Nicolas
    2016 991 Carrera 4 GTS PDK

Nice pics!  Got to do my first snow driving of the season (Evo on Michelin Ice tires) this week too...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

1448215133456image.jpegDown in Colorado Springs today - here's Pike's Peak:

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I received a 991 GTS cab as a loan car for 24 hours from my OPC yesterday morning and returned it today. I did around 180 miles of mixed driving in it and was extremely impressed with it. It felt quite a lot different to the early 991 C2S I owned for a year back in 2012 and it is evident Porsche have made a lot of subtle improvements to the car over the intervening years. I've never driven a cab before but the hard top panels in the 991's roof really give the best of both worlds. The car is noiser than the coupe without a shadow of a doubt but not by as much as I was expecting.

This car had PDK and was far more pleasant to drive than the 7 speed manual box I had in my car which I never really cared for as the gate on it is not intuitive. The PDK just seems much better suited to the nature of the GTS and with the paddle shift sports steering wheel it affords perfect control. Dropping into 3rd gear and zinging the rev counter around to towards the red line is strangely addictive with the sports exhaust switched open. This particular car is Agate Grey with the GTS interior package with red stitching and lots of alcantara plus carbon trim. It had the LED lights withe the illuminated outer ring and that would be a must have for me on any future 911 as they appear to be quite effective at clearing traffic ahead smiley  My only criticism was a squeaking dashboard which I suspect was due to body flex combined with low ambient temperatures.

I have a new found respect for this model and can see why RC rates it highly. I was reluctant to hand it back and am just glad that the salesman I deal with there is currently off on holiday snorkelling in the Maldives or I may have come back home in it indecision

Apologies for the lousy photo but it was taken in very poor fading light. I didn't think I'd like satin black centre lock wheels but they gave this particular car a very stealthy and intimidating look.

1449166750012IMG_2089.jpg

Thank you for sharing your impressions, as a previous 991S owner its a very interesting to read them. Playing with the PDK with the open top and the GTS exhaust must have been addictive indeed kiss

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Great write-up, thanks!

P.S: Did you take delivery of your F50?  I have not seen you posting about it. 

Carlos from Spain:

Thank you for sharing your impressions, as a previous 991S owner its a very interesting to read them. Playing with the PDK with the open top and the GTS exhaust must have been addictive indeed kiss

Carlos,  are you still happy with your PDK ? 

ISUK : thanks for the interesting write up . First time I also read that the 7 speed manual is not nice to use .

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

There is certainly a noticeable difference between 2012 PDK & 2015 PDK on Carrera models - I may go for a cap next time round.

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain

ISUK : thanks for the interesting write up . First time I also read that the 7 speed manual is not nice to use .

Much to my surprise, yes. I had my doubts that after a few months and the novelty of the transmission would wear off that I would start to miss the manual too much in comparison but actually I'm very happy with the PDK after 4 months and 8000km. Don't think I would feel the same if the model was a less exciting model to drive like a 991 or a Turbo but I'm very happy I made the leap of faith to the PDK in the GTS. If I had a secondary weekend toy then i would probably chose manual to complement the PDK on the main car though but if it's one or the other then is PDK.

--

ISUK:

I have a new found respect for this model and can see why RC rates it highly.

@ISUK  - thanks for the report. Makes me feel better about the impending Targa Florio arrival which is de facto a very high spec Targa 4 GTS.

I should probably clarify that I found the shift changes on the 7 speed manual to be somewhat tricky due to the effect of the short gear lever combined with rising centre console making the gate for the shift pattern somewhat small. This meant it was relatively easy to select 5th in error when looking to from 2nd to 3rd as there is not such a defined self centring action that you would find in a regular 5 or 6 speed box where the spring action naturally centres the shift lever between 3rd and 4th and you have to consciously shift the stick left or right to select 1st/2nd or 5th/6th. With the 7 speed box there is little definition between the planes from 3rd/4th to 5th/6th as they are so closed packed in the gate. I'm told the manual box in the 991.2 models is much improved in this regard.

PDK in a GTS model would be an option box I would tick as changing gear with the sports wheel shift paddles is such a pleasure IMHO. If/when I look at another 911 I will certainly now consider a cab but it needs to be a GTS kiss

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain

Much to my surprise, yes. I had my doubts that after a few months and the novelty of the transmission would wear off that I would start to miss the manual too much in comparison but actually I'm very happy with the PDK after 4 months and 8000km. Don't think I would feel the same if the model was a less exciting model to drive like a 991 or a Turbo but I'm very happy I made the leap of faith to the PDK in the GTS. If I had a secondary weekend toy then i would probably chose manual to complement the PDK on the main car though but if it's one or the other then is PDK.
    --

And it would be the Cayman GT4; the best old school car on the market, IMO.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

ISUK:

I should probably clarify that I found the shift changes on the 7 speed manual to be somewhat tricky due to the effect of the short gear lever combined with rising centre console making the gate for the shift pattern somewhat small. This meant it was relatively easy to select 5th in error when looking to from 2nd to 3rd as there is not such a defined self centring action that you would find in a regular 5 or 6 speed box where the spring action naturally centres the shift lever between 3rd and 4th and you have to consciously shift the stick left or right to select 1st/2nd or 5th/6th. With the 7 speed box there is little definition between the planes from 3rd/4th to 5th/6th as they are so closed packed in the gate. I'm told the manual box in the 991.2 models is much improved in this regard.

PDK in a GTS model would be an option box I would tick as changing gear with the sports wheel shift paddles is such a pleasure IMHO. If/when I look at another 911 I will certainly now consider a cab but it needs to be a GTS kiss

Way to go Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Thanks for sharing your impression.

I didnt drive the GTS yet but everyone which did states the same. The car indeed must have a higher emotional character than the 991S.

I guess I have to give another shot. As I really miss the car in daily situations.

Money aside and if this is not at all a factor in the decision process, would you guys who own (or plan to own) a GTS even say that the GTS is preferred above the Turbo/Turbo S because of all the emotions that the GTS seems to create? Being able to win red-light races and having the 911 with the highest hp is maybe not on top of the prio list since this is hardly used in the real world?

The GTS does indeed have much more "emotional" feel than the regular Carrera models which immediately makes the car feel more enjoyable. I've had previous 991 C2S loan cars but never once have I handed them back and thought  "Hey, what a blast. I need to write a cheque and buy one immediately". I could have done so with the GTS. It's interior package with the mix of leather, alcantara and contrast stitching gives the interior a much more special feeling than the standard montone leather offering and the aural sound experience is raised up more than a few notches on the dial in comparison to a standard C2S. That makes the huge difference between having respect for the engineering achievements of the car and the irrational desire to buy one straight away smiley

It really isn't rocket science to determine what provides a car with emotional appeal - good basic design is critical coupled with the quality of engine/exhaust note and the tactility of materials used in the cabin. It amazes me that Porsche do not recognise this more with their standard interiors which although well made subjectively feel quite plain and ordinary due to a lack of varying material textures or subtle colour highlights which the GTS is able to offer. If you look at the competitors in this segment they generally have  a more bespoke feeling cabin due to this. It is a simple area for Porsche to address by offering interior packages for contrasting leather or stitching yet they seem resolutely stuck in the past and reluctant to do so. If they could offer these on the Cayenne why not the flagship 911? yes

There would also be a good potential for sales of additional interior components as the seat centres in the bucket seats are only held in place by velcro strips and a few clips and can easily be switched over in around 10 minutes. This would let owners changed their interior look from time to time if they wished and it should be simple to design the rear seats to be switchable in a similar fashion. One GT3 owner in the US has had an extra pair of seat centres made using Pepita cloth for example but still has the original alcantara centres stored safely so he can swap them back over to change the look or return it to original spec for resale etc.

Pepita P11 seats 1.JPG

Pepita P11 seats 2.JPG

You can get the Pepita cloth in some of the original coloured variants as well. I'd love to put this version with the red check in a white Boxster Spyder with red accent seatbelts and door pulls for example to create an alternative traditional interior to the red/black version Porsche offer.

Pepita cloth red black.JPG

Lars997:

Thanks for sharing your impression.

I didnt drive the GTS yet but everyone which did states the same. The car indeed must have a higher emotional character than the 991S.

I guess I have to give another shot. As I really miss the car in daily situations.

The last GTS is amazing, I cannot believe how much I love this car. Can you imagine, I don't miss my 991 Turbo S for a second? Unbelievable. Yes, I sometimes get some melancholic moments when I see a Turbo S and when the facelift was introduced but then I remember why I gave away the Turbo S and why I enjoy driving my GTS Cab so much.

I hope that this difference in emotional perception (GTS vs. regular CS) will pay off at some point in the future, when it comes to selling the car (if I decide to buy it out off the lease and so far, I am pretty much sure I'm going to do that).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lukas:

Money aside and if this is not at all a factor in the decision process, would you guys who own (or plan to own) a GTS even say that the GTS is preferred above the Turbo/Turbo S because of all the emotions that the GTS seems to create? Being able to win red-light races and having the 911 with the highest hp is maybe not on top of the prio list since this is hardly used in the real world?

Smiley The Turbo S is an amazing car but it lacks a certain emotional part which, in my opinion, is very important in a Porsche. If I were to buy another Turbo S, I would probably choose the Cab now because with open top, the sound is better. Overall, I think that a GTS Cab, like mine, with a 475 hp GTS engine/PDK-S and the GT3 brake system, would have been perfect. My dream car. However, the 430 hp 3.8 l Carrera engine is better than expected, it latest and last version has been groomed to perfection and the PDK harmonizes pretty well with it. If there is only one thing I do not like about my GTS Cab, it is how the brake system looks (the brake system itself works pretty well). The brake discs are just a bit too small for the big 20'' rims, 380 mm in front and 350 mm in the rear would have been perfect. 

Also, I wish Porsche would offer the option to choose caliper colors for PCCB. Yellow brake calipers (PCCB) just don't match a black car with a black interior and red stitching. Yellow stitching wasn't available at that time. I love PCCB and would have loved to get it for my GTS but unfortunately... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Carlos from Spain:
    Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain

--

Good to hear that you are happy with it after the initial novelty excitement .Smiley

These boxes have their pros and you can still feel connected to your engine , even if not in the same way as a manual . 

Lately I'm driving more my 964 because of the stick Smiley

--

ISUK:

Thanks for the clarification . It makes sense . They should have a 6 speed manual , no need for 7 .

--

Lukas:

This is highly subjective because we all have different things we value more on a car, but in terms of driving experience my answer is an unequivocal yes. If they were both equally priced I would still pick the GTS because it ticks more boxes from my checklist, and emotion, sound, responsiveness, etc are all very high on my list.

The Turbo S is an incredible machine but it does not do everything better,  it has to give up some very important things in order to achive what it does like straightline performance and controlled with such ease at the wheel.

But its all subjective, in my case straight line perforrmance does not turn me on on a car so much, it gets "uneventful" very quickly, I've driven sportbikes all my life and the type of straightline perforrnance they yield that I have been exposed to may have habituated me a bit to it, especially when compared to a car in which your are enclosed inside a cabin sitting confortably and its much much less of an experience than holding to a rocket with your legs and control with your body fully exposed to the outside. I need a bigger sensory experience with sound, steering, ride, feel, etc... Iif I could I would drive the GT3 for this very reason but for daily driving the GTS is a better option that balances it all just right for me.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    its much much less of an experience than holding to a rocket with your legs and control with your body fully exposed to the outside

Missing the old days where I was hitting 300 km/h on the speedo of my former Kawasaki  ( not on track Smiley ) 

What a pleasure , sitting on that bike , feeling the winds around me , making one with the machine . As you said, like sitting on a controllable rocket Smiley

--

A convertible is always more emotions than a coupe. It actually amazes me that anyone would buy a coupe 911 or a cayman when you can get the same performance in the convertible for not much (or even less) money...

Gnil:
    Carlos from Spain:
    its much much less of an experience than holding to a rocket with your legs and control with your body fully exposed to the outside

Missing the old days where I was hitting 300 km/h on the speedo of my former Kawasaki  ( not on track Smiley ) 

What a pleasure , sitting on that bike , feeling the winds around me , making one with the machine . As you said, like sitting on a controllable rocket Smiley

Boy can I empathise with that!... there is nothing like it... physically feeling the vibrations of the engine between your legs as the revs climb to 10,000rpm! the sound of the engine (not the exhaust, the actual engine sound coming from under the gas tank) at such engine speeds, the violence wind force on your body, the connection of the body with the control of the bike...Smiley

One of my best memories in my mind is at the end of the straight at the track, coming from WOT on top gear and poping the body out at 240km/h with the wind suddently slamming you and having to shave off enough speed with the front tire while simlutaneously kick down three gears at the last moment just in time to stabilise the that unloaded engine-braked rear tire before taking the turn. Being an modest amateur rider, the execution was far from a pro's to say the least, but that didn't matter, it was absolutely exhilarating lap after lap just the same.Smiley

--

Gnil:
    First time I also read that the 7 speed manual is not nice to use .

I think there are a couple issues with it:

1.  It is based on the PDK box and the gears are natively arranged in a very weird pattern, so a mechanical "converter" is required to make the Double-H pattern work with the stick shift.

2.  They put reverse to the left of 1st gear instead of under 7th, so it is the only manual gearbox with 5 vertical gates (the Corvette 7M has 4 gates with Reverse below 7th and works better).  This makes the gates unnaturally close together and not always intuitive to find the right slot.

But my understanding is that it is much improved in the 991.1 GTS and 991.2

--

pride355:
    Carlos from Spain:
    If I had a secondary weekend toy then i would probably chose manual to complement the PDK on the main car though but if it's one or the other then is PDK.

And it would be the Cayman GT4; the best old school car on the market, IMO.

I can confirm that the GT4 is a great compliment to a 991 with PDK Smiley Not many cars can beat the 991 as an everyday sports car. Truly versatile. However, when it comes to fun, the GT4 is on a different level.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

SciFrog:

A convertible is always more emotions than a coupe. It actually amazes me that anyone would buy a coupe 911 or a cayman when you can get the same performance in the convertible for not much (or even less) money...

Fully agree.

--

J.Seven

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689138 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408981 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234903 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65479 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857821 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773792 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM