Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4 & 718 Spyder -- Pistonheads review

Gnil:
    Josef:

Congrats, always a great car, enjoying mine for more than 4 years now. However, we will be a family of three this winter and I am wondering if I will still have time to use the car, lets see...

What happened to Bluelines ?  Got the baby(s),  Sold the GT4 , got the Audi , waited 4 years, bought back a GT4 in a slower color Smiley Good luck Smiley

When I read the bluelines story, it gave me confidence to keep the GT4 indecision

Cheers Joe. wink

Was hesitating to sell mine, but am holding on to it for the moment. Since it is black it might need white wheels to keep up? Nàh... 

Josef:
    Gnil:
    Josef:

Congrats, always a great car, enjoying mine for more than 4 years now. However, we will be a family of three this winter and I am wondering if I will still have time to use the car, lets see...

What happened to Bluelines ?  Got the baby(s),  Sold the GT4 , got the Audi , waited 4 years, bought back a GT4 in a slower color Smiley Good luck Smiley

When I read the bluelines story, it gave me confidence to keep the GT4 indecision

We haven't seen him on a track since he got the babies  Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Any opinions on tire and rim insurance? Is the GT4 more susceptible to damage due to the suspension or tire profile?

Does anyone know how the ride of the 718GT4 compares to the 981GT4? Reading some reviews of the new iteration, I get the impression that it is a bit stiffer. Is that the case?

Gnil:
    Josef:

Smiley

Indeed, spot on Smiley

--

2016 Porsche 981 GT4 | Racing Yellow
    2018 Audi S6 Avant | Ibis White

When my first kid arrived, I sold my 996 Turbo RS-Tuning (a car modded to my specs, amazing track tool, so sad I sold it) and got myself an E55 AMG. I thought by getting the E55 AMG, I would have something from both worlds, sports car and family mover. Wrong. Sold the E55 AMG after only 6 months and I really tried to like this car, even did some major AMG(!) mods at Affelterbach to the car, including a retrofitted rear axle cooling system, improved gearbox and steering software and speed limit raise with new tires (everything done at Affalterbach, no aftermarket stuff). Spent so much money for nothing, I still couldn't get used to it (after a tuned 996 Turbo).

So I went for a Cayenne Turbo instead as a family car and got back to the 911...a 997 Carrera S with 20 mm chassis and PCCB. This car was amazing, so much fun but then the 997 Turbo came...kept it five(!) years but it was tuned by RUF, so... indecision

Bottom line is: You lose a lot of money if you sell your sports car just because you got a kid. You will want a sports car again after a while, trust me. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

I did not loose a single Franc but anyway 

--

bluelines:

I did not loose a single Franc but anyway 

Different situation now with cars. Almost 20 years ago, cars like a 911 or Boxster didn't really maintain their value. Neither did the E55 (got a pretty good price though because my Porsche dealer found a customer who was amazed by the official AMG mods I had done). This is the time I learned not to buy cars, especially if I exchange them fast. 

The 997 Turbo RUF 550 I had, I kept for 5 years. Longest time I owned a sports car. The reason was pretty simple at that time: There was basically nothing faster or louder available. Smiley This car was an Autobahn monster, Alois did a great job. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes GLC63 S AMG (2020), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Dealer said there is a 718 GT4 allocation open for Aug production, delivery in Nov. That sounds a bit late for a 2020 production. Can I ask if anyone got any insight for changes for 2021 production, other than PDK would be available? Would 2021 be the last production year for 718 GT4? Thank you for the advise in advance. 

aparently in CH 718 GT4 don't do well - my friend who got zero % rebate  when ordering from the PZ is hugely pissed off as their new unsold allocations are being given now with big % due to lack of demand. Of course they told him first it will be super rare but right after his delivery 2 more came asap prefigured......guess P is pushing them out. Same with spyders - easy to buy here. Nothing in the Pline anymore keeps its value..... - unless you buy to keep for a long time and configure as per yr liking - there is no need to buy new anymore.....

BjoernB:

aparently in CH 718 GT4 don't do well - my friend who got zero % rebate  when ordering from the PZ is hugely pissed off as their new unsold allocations are being given now with big % due to lack of demand. Of course they told him first it will be super rare but right after his delivery 2 more came asap prefigured......guess P is pushing them out. Same with spyders - easy to buy here. Nothing in the Pline anymore keeps its value..... - unless you buy to keep for a long time and configure as per yr liking - there is no need to buy new anymore.....

Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

BjoernB:

That was my impression too, the 718 GT4 does not sell well and is nowhere near the same demand as the 981 GT4 had. One of the reasons I got the original and not the latest Smiley

--

bluelines:
    BjoernB:

That was my impression too, the 718 GT4 does not sell well and is nowhere near the same demand as the 981 GT4 had. One of the reasons I got the original and not the latest Smiley

You’re a brilliant man with exceptional taste, obviously. Smiley

First version was a bargain and was sounding nice. Second version is much more expensive and sound like crap...add to this number of cars produced in the equation and it just starts to explain the situation. 
    The entire lineup is at threat as they used this logic for every single model. 

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

bluelines:
    BjoernB:

Is this function of the worse economy in 2020 compared to 2015 when the 981 version came out as new ?  Pushing GT4 fans to save money by buying used.

Or are there technical/driving differences between the two versions that make the 981 preferable? I know that the new one doesn't sound as good as the previous one because of the OPF.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

I think you are spot on. If I remember the initial UAE pricing it was just above AED 300k. The new one will be AED 390k with a few options - not PDK though. We have seen a newly introduced VAT of 5%, but where does the remaining 20% come from.  

The first GT4 had a very attractive price tag here.

New car is 20% more expensive base price, doesn’t sound as good, isn’t going to be ‘rare’, and Porsche is introducing the GTS 4.0 versions of both the Boxster and Cayman for less money. If you are looking for mid engine, NA, and manual you can have it with more comfort for less money. Perhaps that’s why some are avoiding the new one. 

the-missile:

First version was a bargain and was sounding nice. Second version is much more expensive and sound like crap...add to this number of cars produced in the equation and it just starts to explain the situation. 
    The entire lineup is at threat as they used this logic for every single model. 

How many cars such as these can the market absorb ? I am convinced we are at saturation. The problem is not the lack of good sound or price, it is there are not enough people who want them. They all ended up getting one with the first version, the 718 is not much different, no reasons to upgrade and not enough new clients.

Same will be for next GT3 ( unless it gets set up as a possible replacement for GTS' s and be a DD ) and probably will be even worst for the RS. They are way enough around. Curent cars are at a level where automatic upgrade does not make much sense anymore. 

--

Gnil:

How many cars such as these can the market absorb ? I am convinced we are at saturation. The problem is not the lack of good sound or price, it is there are not enough people who want them. They all ended up getting one with the first version, the 718 is not much different, no reasons to upgrade and not enough new clients.

Same will be for next GT3 ( unless it gets set up as a possible replacement for GTS' s and be a DD ) and probably will be even worst for the RS. They are way enough around. Curent cars are at a level where automatic upgrade does not make much sense anymore. 

The range of customers narrowed down in the past few years because of pricing strategy, number of cars produced and impossibility to resale at profit. the base of GT customer is not more than 2 to 3,000 people. Manuals maintained this level low but opening of PDK changed also things to the favor of mass production.

Now, there is a massive gap between huge MSRP and second hand market. Add to this corona magic and hundreds of cars are collecting dust. Good thing for the future is these GT cars will be available again and at a discount. Flippers will try to get rid of their inventory for some time and will move to another stuff i. e. watch market Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

I don’t think the 981 market will drop too much. There will likely be steeper depreciation on the 718. The two cars aren’t alike, by the way. There are tons of videos on YouTube explaining the differences with driving impressions, and most if not all say the 981 would be the preferred car of the two.

JoeRockhead:

I don’t think the 981 market will drop too much. There will likely be steeper depreciation on the 718. The two cars aren’t alike, by the way. There are tons of videos on YouTube explaining the differences with driving impressions, and most if not all say the 981 would be the preferred car of the two.

it already dropped, a 981 GT4 was above 110KE...the 718 will follow the same curve. You need to be ready to absorb another depreciation as current economic situation will just make the sports car market tank like never we felt before.Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Resale at profit is a new thing around here. It only happened since the 991 and only at the beginning of each production ( max first year ) . Before that all GT cars dropped regularly , but you only '' lost '' about 25 to 30 % max on them. Now with the price increases of the last years, 2nd cars stil go to the price the 997 were , but the '' loss'' ends up being more like 40 %. Also it gets harder to sell them due to over supply .

Don't know how much Corona will affect. Not sure it will in big proportions , not here anyway. Most people who buy these cars are people who will still be able to afford cars through  the crisis. Corona touches mainly people who have a medium or lower income . 

--

the-missile:
    JoeRockhead:

it already dropped, a 981 GT4 was above 110KE...the 718 will follow the same curve. You need to be ready to absorb another depreciation as current economic situation will just make the sports car market tank like never we felt before.Smiley

The good thing is real enthusiasts will be able to get good sports cars for a more reasonable price and enjoy them without having to worry about losing a lot in depreciation - if they survive the virus... It will be just like ‘the good old days’ again when we bought cars to enjoy them!

the-missile:
    JoeRockhead:

Meh. I was looking at two Challenge Stradales in 2009 that we’re going for $120k, look at them now. Could have bought a 993 Turbo for $70k at the time and they are going for 3x that. This too shall pass. Besides, you don’t lose any money if you don’t sell it. Anyway, base price of the 981 was $96k here, and my dealer sold 3 this month and they were all north of that, but not by much.

boytronic:
    the-missile:
    JoeRockhead:

The good thing is real enthusiasts will be able to get good sports cars for a more reasonable price and enjoy them without having to worry about losing a lot in depreciation - if they survive the virus... It will be just like ‘the good old days’ again when we bought cars to enjoy them!

wink Bought mine to drive it. 

I think a safe bet these days is a GT3 Touring

Ferrari's are km sensitive - my boss is trying to sell his F12 since a long time ......to the point where he rather drives it than takes such a ridiculous hit.....

JoeRockhead:
    bluelines:
    BjoernB:

You’re a brilliant man with exceptional taste, obviously. Smiley

Likewise sir Smiley

--

BjoernB:

Ferrari's are km sensitive - my boss is trying to sell his F12 since a long time ......to the point where he rather drives it than takes such a ridiculous hit.....

I don't understand why some people buy a car for the next owner by not using it enough during their own ownership.

If you buy a Ferrari or similar by definition you must be very rich. Losing some thousands of whatever currency by properly using the car should be neither here nor there. It is the cost for one of the extravagances that goes with a rich person's lifestyle.

I think that if someone is wary of depreciation,  this person cannot really afford the car.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691180 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410252 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256274 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235437 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65761 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858892 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775217 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM