Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

I am trying hard to find a '' woaww '' factor in that spyder ...... but , It does actually nothing . The car looks old and dated . Probably because the mule have been around for the last two years . 

This car needs a fresh design ......

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Porsche 718 Spyder at Goodwood Festival of Speed...

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaANWs_ixd8

Smiley

Exactly the same on me!

--

AMG GTR / Lotus Exige Cup 430 Type 25 / 991.1 GT3 RS / Cayman GT4 / 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 / 997.2 GT3 / Lotus Exige S / 964 Turbo 3.3

Would have liked to hear some engine noise....

still looks good though

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 and Spyder walkaround video at Goodwood with Andreas Preuninger...  1554274725959image.gif

1562503927895image.jpeg

...looking forward the first drive reviews!  1554541446878image.gif

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqW-cQPL6tE

...thanks to Henry Catchpole and Andreas Preuninger! Smiley

Great video. Andreas is such a great guy. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

I could listen to him for hours.

Topspeed:

Who? Shmee? SmileySmileySmiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Topspeed:

No!  But I could count his money for hours and hours Smiley

He just bought 4 cars at Goodwood festival. A45S, GTR Roadster, GTR Pro and M8 comp...

He owns alot of Mercedes. I bet he is trying to get the AMG-One hypercar.

Topspeed:

I’d much rather spend mega dollars on Valkyrie or new Murray T.50 hypercar.

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Rossi:
    Topspeed:

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Topspeed:
    Rossi:
    Topspeed:

No!  But I could count his money for hours and hours Smiley

He just bought 4 cars at Goodwood festival. A45S, GTR Roadster, GTR Pro and M8 comp...

I doubt he ‘bought’ those cars...

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Like many famous youtubers, he keeps them for a very short time. He said it himself, he thinks his audience expects this from him...and he may be right,

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Gauss:

Like many famous youtubers, he keeps them for a very short time. He said it himself, he thinks his audience expects this from him...and he may be right,

I think Shmee is actually "collecting" some of the cars, so... 

Some YouTubers finance or lease their cars but I don't know if it is a good idea to spend 20-30k per month for leases. Smiley TGE TV is one of those who (claim) finance/lease their cars. I get it, he has a good income from his daily job as some sort of financial broker or whatever in London but it is risky.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mercedes C63 S AMG Cab (2019), Range Rover Evoque Si4 Black Edition (2019)

Before, he would lease half his cars(dailys like the Ferrari FF, or hatchbacks like the 3(lol) Ford Focus RS).

I havent follow him closely enough in the last months but I guess he will lease the non-limited cars like A45S, AMG GT Roadster and M8 comp. He might buy the GT R Pro.

I think he has about 15 cars at the moment. Starting to become kinda crazy/addicted Smiley

Haven't watched this but I think he explains his plans here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeFN-IrRYE

Kobalt:

Haven't watched this but I think he explains his plans here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgeFN-IrRYE

McLaren Senna - with McLaren for repair

Ford GT - heading to the USA for 2 months

McLaren 675LT Spider - 3rd year service coming

Aston Martin Vantage GT8 - sleeping pretty

Ferrari GTC4Lusso - on loan to my Dad

AMG GT R - for sale

AMG G63 - heading to Frankfurt

Ford Focus RS Heritage - soon to return from Frankfurt

Ford Focus RS Red - off for a new Quaife gearbox

Suzuki Jimny - unknown plans

The cars on their way in at the moment with the best guesses when they might arrive are:

Toyota GR Supra (Sep-Oct 2019)

AMG GT R Pro (Oct 2019)

BMW M8 Competition (Christmas 2019)

AMG A45 S (New Year 2020)

AMG GT R Roadster (Spring 2020)

TVR Griffith (Unknown 2020)

" if I'm able to find an allocation for a Shelby GT500 I wouldn't be able to resist! "

Just 17 cars Smiley

And zero VW group car... strange.

No Tesla either... indecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Sorry for the OT but this GT4 does nothing for me. That front end looks very dated by now....

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 review: is it still the benchmark? (Top Gear magazine)

1562939618811image.jpeg

Porsche back for another stab at the GT4, is it? Did they not think they got it right first time round? 

Quite the opposite, I suspect. They got it a bit too right. The first one, launched back in 2015, was such a hit that it made the business case for this one a foregone conclusion. I suspect it’ll now be a permanent fixture in the range. And besides, the Cayman needs propping up – when the 718 Cayman arrived in 2016, the flat six was swapped out for a turbo four, which hasn’t exactly been well received. 

Do you think Porsche is buttering us up for the return of the six cylinder Cayman? 

We’re getting off topic here, but yes, I think that’s possible. Particularly since this new GT4 uses a bored, stroked and de-turboed version of the 911’s twin turbo six. So that engine fits.

I’m not entirely familiar with the plumbing, but maybe they’ll knock a turbo off, or sleeve the engine down to reduce capacity and power so the next gen Cayman doesn’t tread on the toes of the 911, yet still hits emissions targets.

How different is the new GT4? 

Well, here’s the rub: not that different. But the price? Well that’s gone up over £10,000 in the intervening four years, from £64,451 to £75,348. But that’s fine – kind of – because the last GT4 inspired a feeding frenzy which hasn’t really abated. Second hand ones are still around £80k.

Anyway, on to the ‘not that different’. Outwardly it’s a bit chintzier: the wheels are the same dimension, but the design more ‘fangy’, there’s a bit more ‘design’ going on around the front splitter, the rear wing and the diffuser. This is mostly in the name of downforce – up 50 per cent in total. The rear wing generates 20 per cent more than before, an additional 12kg at 125mph. But it’s the downforce’s 30 per cent efficiency improvement rather than the relatively modest maximum that Porsche is most proud of. The new GT4’s rear wing uses the air better, discards it more cleanly. Meanwhile the diffuser is functional, accounting for 50 per cent of total rear axle downforce – 122kg in total at max speed.

The suspension package is largely carried over. The front end has much in common with the 911 GT3, including the brakes (carbon ceramics are on the options list), but now more GT3 has made it into the back axle, too, including the subframe, upside-down dampers, longitudinal and transverse control arms and ball joints. It’s all in the name of control and precision. As before, it’s equipped solely with a six-speed manual. 

What about the engine – you said that’s taken from the new 911? 

Correct. The old one was lifted lock, stock from the nat asp first gen 991 Carrera S, twisted through 180 degrees so the gearbox sat behind the engine rather than in front. It delivered 380bhp at 7,400rpm and 310lb ft from 4,750-6,000rpm. This time round the powerplant plays more tricks. It shares a block with the 3.0-litre 992 911, but Porsche has worked hard on it to give it a more motorsport flavour. It’s bored and stroked out to 4.0 litres, has a forged steel crankshaft with a bigger main bearing to improve stiffness, a plastic sump (36.5 per cent lighter, apparently), hydraulic valves, start-stop, and cylinder shut-off. That’s effective between 1,600-3,000rpm at low torque (below 74lb ft), shutting off a cylinder bank. Plodding through roadworks? After 20 seconds the engine switches to the other bank to maintain temperature in each catalyst pack. Clever stuff. 

Couldn’t care less, how much power has it got?

414bhp at 7,600 rpm and 309lb ft from 5,000 to 6,800rpm. 

Bit more power, torque rocks up a bit later, otherwise as you were? 

I suppose so – against the clock it’s no faster than before, both GT4s claiming to get to 62mph in 4.4secs. The slipperier aero of the new one has boosted top speed by 5mph to 188mph.

But why’s it not faster when it’s got more power? 

Well… weight. This new GT4 no longer weighs 1,340kg. It’s now 1,420kg. 

80kg heavier? How? 

I’m afraid so. Porsche isn’t saying much on this, other than this new car needs a heavier starter motor and the new rear diffuser accounts for a bit, too. I suspect the engine is weightier and that the modifications haven’t been able to undo the changes necessitated for the turbo four engine. The GT4 – and I’m surprised to be saying this – is actually the heaviest Cayman in the range. The luxo GTS is 45kg lighter. And faster. Provided you spec PDK, Sport Chrono and so on. 

A GT4 that’s neither the lightest nor fastest car in the range? Give me strength. Next you’ll be telling me Porsche hasn’t done anything about the old car’s long gearing. 

That was the one major criticism. And no, nothing has been done to alleviate it. Instead Porsche says the new engine has better low down torque, negating the need for shorter gearing. 

And…? 

It needs shorter gearing.

While the new engine does punch through each ratio a bit harder, and doesn’t tie up as it nears the limiter, it would still be improved by shorter gears for second, third and fourth. Make them road usable. As it is, you tend to leave the GT4 in third and enjoy the torque and power there, rather than rowing the lever around (second is back down an awkward dogleg, fourth too high), and that’s a shame because the gearbox is slicker than ever.

Combine that with a much lighter clutch than before and you have a very quick shifting, rewarding transmission. It’s great to use, but a little less mechanical than before – and this is something that’s true of the whole car.

The last GT4 had the slightly raw feel of an after-hours product that had been cobbled together, then honed. The engine chuntered, the clutch was heavy, it had real charisma. This one is smoother, lighter in your hands, easier to drive, even more biddable. Not worse, just more accessible. It’s a smoother car into corners, has even better turn-in and the mid corner balance and poise is ridiculously good. It’s just delicious, you flick the gearlever about with a couple of fingers, feel the weight build as you turn the steering, sense the car pivot around you, grip clearly communicated… it’s just wonderful. Brilliant control, fantastic steering precision, gorgeous suspension damping – it feels expensively engineered and beautifully harmonious.

And you don’t notice the extra weight. At all. The ride control, the stability, the way it tackles difficult roads, is just startling. I love the way it rides, a hint of cushioning at the top of the travel, then this rigorous control as more is asked of the suspension. Sport mode tightens the dampers, but I’m not sure you need it when there’s so much raw capability in normal mode. It’s at least as comfortable and usable as any other Cayman. 

Nice to drive a nat asp Cayman again?  1554541446878image.gif

Absolutely. Response and noise – the importance of both should never be underestimated. Having an engine do exactly what you want, when you want, and sound enthusiastic about it while doing it, is just brilliant. The throttle calibration is just perfect, the engine sound clean, smooth, hard. Could only be a flat six.

But it’s changed. No longer as guttural and warbly as before, and although it pulls more healthily across the rev range, with fewer peaks and troughs, it’s slightly less charismatic. And the noise has a synthetic edge. The switchable sports exhaust does make a big difference, pumping up the bass. Can’t decide whether it’s a good thing or exacerbates the sense of falseness. 

Has Porsche managed to improve anything else? 

I prefer the gearbox – there’s something deeply satisfying about this short throw, the way each gear engages. And Autoblip (the heel n toe function on downshifts) is now a separate button, not automatically engaged in Sport mode. That’s better too. Lets you make your own mistakes as and when you please. The cabin is predictably lovely although the only major changes between GT4s are the airvent shape and the flush fitting, wider touchscreen. 

Anything you would/wouldn’t have? 

Most people will probably spec the Club Sport pack (£2,770 for a steel roll cage, fire extinguisher and driver’s six-point seatbelt), but if you’re driving the GT4 every day don’t bother – you might need the parcel shelf for storage, the fire extinguisher will massage your passenger’s calves and the harness will clatter if not being used. Full bucket seats are £3,788. They’re very good, but again, not if you’re dailying. And ceramic brakes are £5,597. Good for track days, and they do bite detectably harder, but I’m lukewarm on them. Good for bragging rights, mind you. 

Overall then? 

Chassis-wise the Cayman GT4 is better than ever, better than pretty much anything else you can buy at any price point. It’s downright brilliant. Overall, while it’s subjectively a better car – smoother torque delivery, calmer ride, more capability etc – I don’t find it quite as charismatic as before. It has a marginally softer edge, more passive manners, broader appeal. Maybe it’s just that you’re not having to fight its foibles now, or maybe those are the unavoidable carryovers of using the current Cayman platform.

Given a straight choice between them I honestly don’t know which one I’d have. The old one probably, but chiefly for the bragging rights of having the original – and likely most collectible. Still, what a superb sports car.

Overall TG rating: 8/10

1562939082001image.jpeg

Link:  https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/porsche/gt4-2dr-auto/first-drive

Smiley 

yes, it needs shorter gearing.  too bad about the weight increase, too

New Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 review (Auto Express)

1563089342497image.jpeg

The new 414bhp Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 delivers purity and excitement on a different level

Verdict: 5 stars

The new Porsche Cayman GT4 is one of the best performance car bargains of the last decade. It contains a lot of 911 GT3 technology and know-how, is powered by a fantastic new 4.0-litre flat six engine, and to drive, it is close to perfection. And all for a mere £75 grand. Right now it is in a class of one, and it’s hard to see that changing any time soon.

According to Porsche the new £75,348, 414bhp Cayman GT4 is “a brutal driving machine that is perfectly irrational.” It’s also a car that is “razor sharp in its responses that’s been designed for people who take their fun seriously and who would rather sit in a sport seat than a leather armchair.”

That’s the reason it has a six-speed manual gearbox, like it or not (although a PDK version will be offered next year), plus an enormous rear wing at the back that helps generate 122kg of downforce - a full 50 per cent more than the previous GT4, despite a near-identical drag figure.

There’s also a serious looking diffuser underneath that “demands respect” – whatever that might mean – while GT3 technology has been employed extensively not just for the mid-engined chassis but throughout the pared back interior as well. Reading between the lines, what we are talking about here is a thinly disguised racing car that’s been fine tuned for more than just occasional use on the road. The ride, says Porsche, is significantly more comfortable than before, and having driven it Auto Express concurs.

At the GT4’s heart, sitting amidships behind the two sports seats (full buckets are optional for £3,788) is a 4.0-litre atmospheric flat-six engine that produces 414bhp and revs to an ear-piercing 8,000rpm. Maximum torque of 420Nm is actually the same as before but is developed over a much broader rev range between 5,000-6,800rpm. The engine is a development of the new 992’s 3.0-lite flat-six turbo motor but has been bored out to be fully 1.0-litre bigger in capacity and is not turbocharged. In other words, it has nothing to do with the engine from a GT3. 

The new Cayman GT4 weighs a touch more than of old, Porsche admits through gritted teeth, the kerb-weight having risen by around 35kg to 1,495kg due mainly to the fitment of new particulate filters in the huge new rear silencer that will allow it to be emissions friendly for many years to come. Even so, the latest GT4 is still potent enough to hit 62mph in a mere 4.4s and has a top speed of 188mph.

Around a track, however, it is significantly faster than the old car due to a combination of that increase in overall power, yet further refinement of the GT3-influenced chassis and the fitment of even gripper Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres. The GT4 has lapped the Nurburgring in a faintly astonishing 7min 28sec, which is the exact same time posted by the 997 GT3 RS 4.0-litre not so long ago.

Subjectively the GT4 is one of those cars that feels right, feels perfect even, from the moment you climb aboard. The sports seats clamp you in place behind a round steering wheel that’s swathed in Alcantara suede and positioned absolutely where you want it to be, even though it adjusts manually in all directions. And on the move it gets better still.

The star of the show is unquestionably the new 4.0-lire flat-six engine, which sounds loud-ish on start-up but only reveals its true genius when you rev it beyond 5,000rpm. The throttle response up at those revs is absolutely fantastic, and the extra feeling of torque in the mid-range is obvious the first time you put your foot down at anything above 3,500rpm. But it’s only over the final 2,000rpm that the real magic starts to happen, at which point the acceleration takes on another level and the sound that accompanies it becomes magnificent.

This is a proper Porsche GT-car engine in both feel and delivery, and it combines with the frankly brilliant six-speed gearbox – which features a useful auto-blip function on downshifts – to make for a quite giddy driving experience to begin with. It’s easy to get very carried away, very quickly in the GT4, and that’s before you’ve so much as aimed it at a corner. 

At which point things get better still. The precision of the turn in and the steering response in general is breath-taking, the body control virtually faultless, even around a tight and twisty circuit such as Knockhill up in Scotalnd, where we drove the car. And as for the brakes, as ever with Porsche GT cars they are superb in both feel and power. There’s quite a lot of grip available, too, so much so that the GT4 is not a car that slides easily, even if you switch its various driver aids off.

It’s hardly the surprising that the GT4 is as quick as Porsche claims it is around the Nurburgring. For 75 grand it is, genuinely, one of the biggest performance car bargains of the last decade.

Key specs

Model: Porsche Cayman GT4 manual

Engine: 4.0-litre 4cyl, flat six, petrol

Power/torque: 414bhp/420Nm

Transmission: 6-speed manual

0-62mph/Top speed: 4.4s/188mph

Economy/CO2 : 25.7mpg/249g/km

1563089372477image.jpeg

Link:  https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/cayman/107366/new-porsche-718-cayman-gt4-review

Smiley 

Re: Cayman GT4 -- Evo review

UK press reviews are continuing.  Evo gives it a 5/5 rave:

Porsche Cayman GT4 2019 review

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-gt4/22886/new-porsche-cayman-gt4-2019-review-its-a-bit-special

"Porsche Suggests 718 Cayman GT4 RS Is Possible, But Not Just Yet..."

(20 July 2019)

Porsche only just unveiled the 718 Cayman GT4 and, already, it is being asked about the possibility of an even faster, RS-badged variant.

While speaking with boxer engine development manager Markus Baumann at the recent global launch of the new sports car, Car Sales asked whether the GT4’s 4.0-lite naturally-aspirated six could be upgraded.

“Yes. We could of course get more power,” Baumann responded. “When we take the technologies from the GT3, like the titanium con-rods, or the dry sump… when you apply those technologies to this 9A2 engine it can create much more horsepower than 420 HP. We have those technologies already developed and we could easily bring them together [in 9A2],” Baumann added.

Also Read: Massive Gallery Lets Us Bask In The Glory Of The 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

In Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder form, this engine pumps out 414 HP and 310 lb-ft (420 Nm) of torque. Those are serious figures, especially for mid-engined sports cars as small as these two. Some customers will inevitably want more, however. When asked about the possibility of the engine’s screaming 8000 rpm redline being lifted further, Baumann said doing so would be possible.

“I would say everything is possible, it’s just a matter of effort,” he said. “It’s a question of model strategy. With a lot of investment into development you can achieve a lot of things with the cars. For now I think for this car 420 HP is enough power. Right now, for strategy reasons, we need to keep a little bit of distance to the 911 GT3 of course.”

It is understandable that Porsche doesn’t want to see a potential Cayman GT4 RS approach 911 GT3 levels of performance. However, we know that the 992-generation GT3 is just around the corner and set to receive more power than ever before, so this could open up room in Porsche’s sports car range to make a GT4 RS viable.

Link:  https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/porsche-suggests-a-cayman-gt4-rs-is-possible-but-not-just-yet/

Smiley

The GT3 will have 100 HP more in a different high end engine with better components... I don't see how a GT4 RS can be competitive, UNLESS it will be based on the same GT3 engine.

--

2018 White 911 GT3

Boxster Coupe GTS:

"Porsche Suggests 718 Cayman GT4 RS Is Possible, But Not Just Yet..."

“No, but maybe yes” - The oldest trick in sales strategy Smiley

This Cayman RS wishful thinking has reached its 10 year anniversary by now. There were magazine renderings floating around back in the 987.1 days. It has been no, but maybe yes since then.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Porsche have a few GT4RS running at Weissach already since last May..........

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688486 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408677 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255514 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234758 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65376 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857551 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773317 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM