Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Milanno:
    Futch:

On the motorway driving relax around 150km/h, the car will do 500km.

I am quite surprised with results considering LaLa have insane V12. 

P.S. Futch, would you consider buying low-miles used 918 if price drops dramatically? Maybe you could use it as daily-driver considering consumption that is better than your sedan/suv you are using every day Smiley

At the moment my daily car is Delta integrale and yes its very very thirsty! I think driving around a city like London in zero emission mode with a 918 is super cool. If prices drop, yes maybe. But we will have to wait at least a couple of years I think.

500km is pretty good but that's what I was expecting. With my F12 and the same engine but a but heavier, I also do 500km at reasonnable motorway speeds. At 150kmh in 7th gear, the engine  runs at low revs.

Futch:

At the moment my daily car is Delta integrale 

mr. Harry Metcalfe tested Integrale (he is owner) and I was highly impressed with that car. However I admire you for driving that car on daily basis Smiley I assume yours is yellow too Smiley

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Milanno:
    Futch:

At the moment my daily car is Delta integrale 

mr. Harry Metcalfe tested Integrale (he is owner) and I was highly impressed with that car. However I admire you for driving that car on daily basis Smiley I assume yours is yellow too Smiley

--

Yellow indeed yes. Coolest car everSmiley

Futch:

Oh but there is absolutely nothing wrong with stopping power, it's actually amazing. 

Its the feeling you get through the pedal that is weird. Very little information goes though the foot. You have to trust the car, like the Porsche guy told me, it's weird at first but you get used to it, he said. 

For me, I could get used to it of course, but it's a shame since you interact with your car through only three channels if you think about it, the steering wheel, the seat and the pedals. Electric steering and regen brakes rob some of that feeling no doubt. I'm too used to analog cars, it's just of matter of calibration and getting used to it. ...

The issue you describe sounds similar to the comments some F1 drivers have made this year regarding the brakes on their cars.

Another amazing post from you Futch, very nice read and comparo between those two legends, thank you so much for sharing.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Had a wonderful day at Zuffenhausen today. But before that, I had a surprise on the plane ride in. Mark Webber was sitting next me. I wasn't paying much attention at firs but then I noticed the guy next to me is carry a helmet bag, and wearing a Chopard watch. He was clean shaven so I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Anyway he was on his way to do some testing.

back to my car. Finally got to see it in person for the very first time. It was at station 10 when I got there, it just got the rear hatch bolted on and guys were fitting the doors and hood. I gotta do something that almost no one else had a chance to do, I got to install the Porsche hood badge on my own car! They even let me film the process with my own phone. But then when I went ver my car, they installed the wrong dash piece, mine was supposed to have the acid green strip below the matte carbon piece, but good hing I caught the error and they will fix it tomorrow.

It will clear station 12 today and only station 13 and 14 left, that means it will be completed tomorrow. Then it will head for validation for a week and then get processed and shipped.

right now Porsche is running at full speed, so 2hrs per station, each car takes 28hrs to build.

Some gossips I picked up, A sheik ordered 4 cars, took delivery already of 1 car and has customized a second one with white interior, like white leather and stitching. Porsche had to source new leather for him and that option is like a 100k euro option.

Another customer took delivery early and has already put thousands of km on his, he just bought a 2nd car so he can have a driver and a keeper.

Allocation for Europe is basically done, same for Asia, Middle East, only the American market have cars left for sale. For some reason Porsche kinda over estimated the demand in USA. 

After the factory time they hosted me for lunch at Christophorus, had one of the execs to sit in and host me. Talked about quite a bit of stuff but pretty much nothing can be repeated, sorry guys. But Porsche kind of know what went wrong with the their current situation, especially pricing wise, they realized they didn't really leave room for the model above the 911 Turbo S. Also is considered have free service for the top models. 

The GT3 RS will be a fantastic car also.

--

Thanks for the update, and the added  Porsche insights. I hope you put that badge on straight!

Fantastic news Nick!
    Especially he installing of the crest on the bonnet... the single symbol of Porsche... WOW!
    The only "downside" is that you really REALLY can never sell it, you HAVE TO keep it :-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

--

Joost:

Fantastic news Nick!
    Especially he installing of the crest on the bonnet... the single symbol of Porsche... WOW!
    The only "downside" is that you really REALLY can never sell it, you HAVE TO keep it :-)

Well, that and potential warranty issues if the crest falls off, given that it's both factory and customer installed.

Great story!  That sounds like a trip to remember.

They let you videotape the badge install?  In the factory?  Are you allowed to share it?

Soon you'll have it home!

Nick, enjoyed the report. How fortuitous that you were able to catch the interior mistake. Had it been delivered that way I would have been very upset having to drive around in a million dollar car with an interior I did not order.

Whoopsy, great experience! Did you pick up any information on the 918 numbers so far?

--

"Form follows function"

70-100 available for sale, as far as I know...

Whoopsy:

Thanks Whoopsy for sharing your journey. Always very interesting . You will will feel that more special to you after you have dirtied your hands on helping to build it Smiley

I wonder when we will see the price corrections ?

And as for the above comment...... will a Porsche exec ever say :  the next GT3 RS is crap Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Great Whoopsy!!

Did you discuss the 919 with Mark at all?

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

And as for the above comment...... will a Porsche exec ever say :  the next GT3 RS is crap Smiley

Smiley  Smiley

Whoopsy has got to have better details than just the pledge of an exec (can't post them apparently though).  He's become pretty cautious lately with regard to endorsing new 911 models.  

Of course he may have been a little "high" on Porsche at the time...

Regardless, hilarious point Gnil!  Thanks for a solid laugh!

While the exec drives around in a 991, he much prefer to be in a Cayman. 

I didn't really hold back when asked about my opinions, they had their ear full with the fish eye headlamp design, the not sporty enough interior, the new 991 drives too perfect, too refined, stupid pricing, the barbaric way to have deviated stitching in the car, etc

I gained a lot of insign into their product planing, pretty much anything we can think of they almost always had a proposal but for one reason or another got shot down. I gave them a few ideas about utilizing the panamera platform for variants and I was told they already have proposals for those. 

Discussed the differences between my Ferrari ownership and Porsche ownership,  told him why I bought the FF and bout how they can do one like that with the panny platform. Or make a driver's sedan in 5 series size. In the end the accountants mattered the most.

when the 918 program is finally finished next year, that space 'could' be used for Exclusiv programs. Porsche didn't have the techniques to do that with their quick production line, each station only has 3:44 to do the work. But the 918 line runs pretty much like the Ferrari line so that opens up a lot of possibilities. And the staff gained a lot of valuable experience in doing customization as most of the 918s have custom work. 

As for cars left to be sold, a while ago I did a calculated guess based on the scheduled production date off current orders and came up with around 770 cars sold. Yesterday at the engine line #787 was just completed and 4 more is on the line in various state of completion. Engines are made a bit faster than cars and they didn't suffer from a supplier issue.

Porsche learnt quite a bit from the 991GT3 program, and those didn't go to waste.

As for the badge install, they suggested that I can do it, and they suggested that they will record it, didn't say nothing about not sharing but since I am camera shy and I am front and center in the video, I will probably not share it here :)

and yes there is someone there to check my work after I am done and it is not coming off, ever. The nut that holds the badge is weird looking, think it was filled with putty as I was told to just push the seemingly solid nut onto the stem then twist.

while I was with my car another concierge was leading a couple around as they are spec-ing their car, my concierge make sure they went around my car as she didn't want the other couple to see what I have and copy it.  Not actually a secret that I will have Walliser's signature on my car, but where it is is. He had only signed 3 cars out of 918 and mine is the only one with clear coat over it, so mine will be the only that won't fade away.

As for the wrong dash, it was due to Porsche only allocation space for 150 letters in the ordering system for customization and the accent strip was lost among the short hand used. (Another example where Porsche is not used to customizing cars). My concierge would have caught it tomorrow when she goes over the car during the validation period, but it would have delayed the shipping a bit. But it won't arrive here with the wrong dash.

as for Mark, he is pretty vague in answering stuff, he probably had a NDA signed. But can't really deny he is flying in to do testing at Weissach. One don't carry their helmet onto a plane if one don't plan to drive.

sorry I grouped everything in one post. Stuck in BA lounge at heathrow for a 5hr layover and only had my mini with me.

--

Thanks Whoopsy. It will be final testing before the 6 h at COTA.

Great that you've seen the inception given your torturous wait - don't understand your fish-eye hangup - but I guess one we get fixated on something, it's hard to ignore! Can't wait for your handover experience - feel I'm living the dream through you so appreciate the time you put in to post.

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Gnil:

So what you want to say is that exec`s lied about previous GT3 RS`s when they claimed it will be blast for future owners Smiley What Germans claim - they deliver, so yes - new GT3 RS will be a blast if they say so wink

--

Amazing 918 Performance in Car & Driver Lightning Lap October Issue.  918 Smashed the All Time LL record by almost 3 seconds.  the 918 also reached peak speeds 18 mph higher than a Ferrari F12 on the high speed sections of the track.  A dominating performance.

Regarding top end punch:

http://youtu.be/NmpBPXJ4-OA

I almost felt off my chair. Holly sh....t!!!!

Finally home. I think the experience is well worth the 20+ hrs of flying.

But now the wait is even worst, especially knowing my car was completed earlier today. I think I am looking at best case 2 weeks worst case 3 weeks for the car to get here, it needs to pass validation first before they will schedule air freight.

This time I didn't see any prototypes going in and out of the factory, but I did see one liquid metal 918 pulled into the factory dealership, not sure about the plate but it has red numbers (I don't have RC's sharp eyes)

Also saw a boat load of GT3s on transport waiting to be shipped, and more littered all around the compound.

Also saw a new Cayenne Turbo in the parking lot, was told it was driven by someone high up.

Seem like Porsche has a new driving program at the museum, people can hire a car to drive for an hr at a time.

Think that's about it, took me 3 posts but there was a lot to take in and process. 

I am lucky enough to be able to afford one, but I am also lucky enough to have an audience like you guys to share my experience. It's been a long long long journey 17 months and counting, with all sorts of ups and downs but the end is really here now.

--

Boyko23:
    Regarding top end punch:

http://youtu.be/NmpBPXJ4-OA

I almost felt off my chair. Holly sh....t!!!!

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

--

Milanno:
    Gnil:

So what you want to say is that exec`s lied about previous GT3 RS`s when they claimed it will be blast for future owners Smiley What Germans claim - they deliver, so yes - new GT3 RS will be a blast if they say so wink

Probably it will be a blast, but they would never say the opposite regardless ...... and if they did, they would get fired Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Mark Webber's 1st F1 win was at Nurburgring.

918's delivered to customers already, not sure what more testing is necessary.

Another Nurburgring run?  That would be sweet.

(Or is the testing for another car?)

Gnil:

Probably it will be a blast, but they would never say the opposite regardless ...... and if they did, they would get fired Smiley

I would fire them too if they said car will be lame crap, and in reality it is a blast Smiley

--

lcworld:

Mark Webber's 1st F1 win was at Nurburgring.

918's delivered to customers already, not sure what more testing is necessary.

Another Nurburgring run?  That would be sweet.

(Or is the testing for another car?)

LMP car testing, imo...

cd2d041c1d03ed4810a7042eec7bf284.jpg

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689553 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409229 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255739 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857973 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774033 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM