Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Horrible 458 Spider Accident in Germany

Gnil:

What a save !!!! His heart must of jumped to 220 !!

I wonder what made him loose the back . It all looked alright to me ......

A patch of oil perhaps? 

He saved the car very well!

--

"Form follows function"

nberry:

(Sigh) Christian, the higher the speed the less experience matters. Your fate is left in the hands of  dumb luck. And as we all now, luck eventually runs out.laugh

(Sigh) Nick, would you say the same about Formula One drivers who do turns at incredible speeds?

It is difficult for some people to comprehend that some people have certain skills, based on experience, talent and maybe even the technology they are using. I get it. If you think that luck lasts for over 30 years, I think you should think again. Yes, bad things can happen but look at Schumacher and his ski accident and you know what I mean. 

Please never make a conclusion based on your own skills, experience or beliefs. This is how you get it very wrong very often. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

reginos:
    Gnil:

A patch of oil perhaps

This is why I do not ride a motorcycle anymore. In a car, your chances are usually much better.

Just last Saturday, I found out today, the husband of one of my wife's friends, crashed his motorcycle in a nearby forest. It was warm outside, the road was completely dry but in the forest, in the shadows, there was a tiny wet spot he didn't see because of the shadows and he lost control of his motorcycle. Luckily, he slid on the ground and ended up in a bush but his motorcycle hit a tree and has been declared totaled. Ouch. Now he wants to get a new one and his wife wants a divorce if the goes through with it. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

... (Sigh) Nick, would you say the same about Formula One drivers who do turns at incredible speeds? ...

Of course, as Riccardino's wife pointed out, F1 cars are glued to the road.

RC:
    reginos:
    Gnil:

A patch of oil perhaps

This is why I do not ride a motorcycle anymore. In a car, your chances are usually much better.

Just last Saturday, I found out today, the husband of one of my wife's friends, crashed his motorcycle in a nearby forest. It was warm outside, the road was completely dry but in the forest, in the shadows, there was a tiny wet spot he didn't see because of the shadows and he lost control of his motorcycle. Luckily, he slid on the ground and ended up in a bush but his motorcycle hit a tree and has been declared totaled. Ouch. Now he wants to get a new one and his wife wants a divorce if the goes through with it. Smiley

I am sure he wore the appropriate biking clothes, so he wasn't hurt.

You know with our summer at 40+ centigrade we often ride with shorts, a T shirt but proper shoes and the helmet. With this attire many bad things can happen if we drop, like serious friction burns but still we take the chance. It is funny but in the last few months I am becoming wary of motorbiking, for no apparent reason.

--

"Form follows function"

What a tank slapper, he was just lucky - not much skill.  I have done 360's in heavy rain on the highway in heavy traffic and simply kept driving at 60mph+  Gladstone and TT Surgeon recall those saves.  Wish we had GoPRO back in high school 35 years ago. 

Skill or Luck??

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Leawood911:

What a tank slapper, he was just lucky - not much skill.  I have done 360's in heavy rain on the highway in heavy traffic and simply kept driving at 60mph+  Gladstone and TT Surgeon recall those saves.  Wish we had GoPRO back in high school 35 years ago. 

If you are referring to the Audi video, it's got nothing to with luck, it's absolutely the driving skills that saved him. It's easy to tell by the way he's is working with his hands. How to hold and rotate the steering wheel is one of the very first lessons in drifting. Bonus points for managing the front-heavy, understeering Audi. It's very stable but once you lose it, it's not very natural to bring it back...

I have driven above 260 km/h on the Autobahn but only when the road was nearly empty. Even then, I have seen enough cars change lanes suddenly entering the top lane in front of me. Sometimes, they saw me coming and moved back down a lane so that it was safe without me having to slow down suddenly. I felt the drivers with German number plates were mostly better about this than some of the others. But sometimes drivers would move to the top lane forcing me to slow down. They just didn't care. The bottom line is that I just would not put my safety in their hands. I also enjoyed driving towards Leipzig since the Autobahn there was much less busy. In busier places, it is just not possible to drive at very high speed.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Herbaliser:
    Leawood911:

If you are referring to the Audi video, it's got nothing to with luck, it's absolutely the driving skills that saved him. It's easy to tell by the way he's is working with his hands. How to hold and rotate the steering wheel is one of the very first lessons in drifting. Bonus points for managing the front-heavy, understeering Audi. It's very stable but once you lose it, it's not very natural to bring it back...

+1 

You don't turn the steering wheel like that by luck Smiley He saved the day with his driving skills. 

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Gnil:

He was driving to the track at Braga and he had slicks on the car (Braga is very abrasive on street tires). I know exactly were that stretch of highway is, I drive through there every week in the 911, he wasn't going fast at all (140km/h aprox), you can go much faster through there confortably without problems. Judging by the shadows it was still moring (he is going northbound), so the road must of been cold and maybe a bit damp (that spot gets shade until noon) and not fit for slicks, but in my experience even if itts raining, with normal tires you can go faster than that without problmes there.

--

OMG Smiley.  You can't even tell this used to be a car Smiley.

--
    Happy Driving

The fact that you would make a comparison to F1 drivers/cars is all I need to know. Smiley

BUT, fwiw you are aware that F! drivers have died in cars designed for maximum safety in the event of a crash. Smiley

​When you are driving at speeds over 150mph on public roads you place yourself in an unpredictable and likely uncontrollable situation. You could have all the driving skill in the world and it will not matter.Smiley

Finally, as I have stated many times, drivers on the internet  are all as good or better than Senna, W.R., H.v.S,  Schumacher and so on. My skills are mediocre. The difference between myself and posters on the internet is I know my skills and not afraid to publicly acknowledge them.Smiley

Carlos from Spain:
    He was driving to the track at Braga and he had slicks on the car (Braga is very abrasive on street tires). I know exactly were that stretch of highway is, I drive through there every week in the 911, he wasn't going fast at all (140km/h aprox), you can go much faster through there confortably without problems. Judging by the shadows it was still moring (he is going northbound), so the road must of been cold and maybe a bit damp (that spot gets shade until noon) and not fit for slicks, but in my experience even if itts raining, with normal tires you can go faster than that without problmes there.

We are really all over the place ! Great for this ''local'' peace of info Smiley

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Carlos from Spain:

So, he didn't stop in order to have a look at the car since the cause was so obvious! Most probably to relieve himself after the scare.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Carlos from Spain:

So, he didn't stop in order to have a look at the car since the cause was so obvious! Most probably to relieve himself after the scare.

It seems that he stopped to look around the car but quickly concluded it was all sure to the slicks and continued on his way, if you listen closely when he gets back in the car he says outloud something to the like "it was the slicks". I guess he did not think it was the slicks initially since it's kind of surprising that he lost control do easily, he was going very slow compared to what you can do there comfortably, but I guess that slicks cannot get enough temperature in those circumstances and doesn't take much to loose it on the first patch of dark or child tarmac you catch at speed. 

I had semi slicks on my sportbike precisely because at the braga track this guy was heading to was brutal on anything else than semi slicks, and in winter (even though they are mild here) there were times I had to tip toe on the street because you could just not get enough temperature on the tires for them to grip and if I didn't what happened to this guy would of happened to me on the bike. Today I would not put semi slicks on a car and much less on a bike myself.

--

Only problem here, Nick, is that you appear to be assuming that RC is a typical internet boy racer who doesn't know his skill, and that in reality he is comparable to you, though not as honest or humble about it.  

I don't think RC is saying he is near the skill set of an F1 pilot, but that you should be aware that there is a wide range of ability out there, and that - though you may be objective enough to realize your limits, it doesn't mean that RC lacks objectivity either.  He may very well be closer to a professional racer than he is to you (or me).  I can accept that.

I'm not the most talented at the track either, but I can accept that RC has loads more experience than I do, and that his abilities are excellent.

You do make a good point about defensive driving.  The faster you go, the more you make yourself vulnerable to other fools on the road who could end you without even realizing what they are doing.  And there are those even worse fools who will try to make a point and turn their stupidity into a tragic decision.

Whatever the case R-teamers, be careful out there!

In defence of RC, IMO anyone who can drive at express high speed (i.e. above 250 km/h) on a regular basis for well over 25 years without any accident .... well, I think that record speaks for itself really.

I have driven above 250 km/h many, many times. I am extremely careful at very high speed and I have never come close to having a risky incident.

IMO handling very high speed takes some skill but it is also something one can quite easily become accustomed to.

IMO the real risk is in factors beyond one's control - namely, (1) ice or water on the road surface - in which case, I would not drive at high speed - and (2) other cars on the road. I always allow generous margins for error to take into account other's lack of skill and experience. That way, I never get near to exposing myself to risk.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

There are two factors: the risk of a high-speed accident and the impact of a high-speed accident. The risk you can, to some extent, control. The impact and that the result not.

Experience Risk Impact Result
    Low High High Instant death
    High Low High Instant death

Unlike many other risk-impact scenarios this one ends with the same result, whether you are a Internet boy racer or a F1 pilot.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

davew (cincy):

Only problem here, Nick, is that you appear to be assuming that RC is a typical internet boy racer who doesn't know his skill, and that in reality he is comparable to you, though not as honest or humble about it.  

I don't think RC is saying he is near the skill set of an F1 pilot, but that you should be aware that there is a wide range of ability out there, and that - though you may be objective enough to realize your limits, it doesn't mean that RC lacks objectivity either.  He may very well be closer to a professional racer than he is to you (or me).  I can accept that.

I'm not the most talented at the track either, but I can accept that RC has loads more experience than I do, and that his abilities are excellent.

You do make a good point about defensive driving.  The faster you go, the more you make yourself vulnerable to other fools on the road who could end you without even realizing what they are doing.  And there are those even worse fools who will try to make a point and turn their stupidity into a tragic decision.

Whatever the case R-teamers, be careful out there!

None of us including Christian know whether he has excellent driving skills. No doubt Christian believes he has and that is what worries me.

Easy(whatever your name isSmiley), the fact that there is no prior occurrence is not probative of whether he is a good driver. As a lawyer you certainly can understand that legal concept.Smiley

Let me put it another way. Most of us are good drivers at reasonable speeds and some better than others.But as you reach speeds of 150mph none of us are good drivers. We all can speed on roads in excess of 150mph. The problem is when the unanticipated occurs. At those speeds, usually there is little a driver can do but hope his/her luck has not run out.Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM