Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Where does your car passion comes from?

My passion started at the age of 10 when a sister boyfriend arrived on his parent Saab 900 Turbo! The car was metalic blue with beautiful satin wheels. This was in 1980 and the first time he stepped on throtle I was hooked. The windows were closed and the sunroof was open, till today I still remember the wonderful noise the turbo made when it kicked in together with the "punsh in the back feeling", it was simply glorious. I just loved that whisper sound tipical from the Turbo of that era. My father had a Mercedes 300TD Station Wagon and we were always comparing both cars, he hated Mercedes and he was right, Saab was glue to tarmac while Merdeces bounced like a heavy boat, it was amazing the way Saab handle! Everytime his parent car was for maintenance he would bring a Mercedes 190 E, Audi 100CD or Volvo 740 Turbo but those were far away from that amazing blue car sportiness., Saab was the King of emotions, Turbo kick/noise remained as one of the best sensations I had as a kid. At eleven years old I bought my firts car Magazine called "Turbo" and it had Saab 900Turbo drive test Few years later another friend bought a dark matalic blue 964 Turbo, the power was insane, it was nothing, nothing , nothing and all of the sudden the hell brake loose and BANG  Smiley an immense shove of power on your back, gosh what a sensation, what a feeling!!!

It´s wonderful nowadays to go up stairs where I have my car magazine collection since 1981 and see among others the Magazine L´Automobile from 1987 with  Renault 5 GT Turbo, testing against the Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6, Fiat Uno Turbo ie, Ford XR2 and Golf GTI , those were cars from my crazy drive time. Years after I bought my very first sports car a Peugeot 205 GT! 1.9, what a car!

How about you guys, where did the bug came from Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Re: Where does your car passion comes from?

Great thread! kiss

My car passion started when I was 7 years old and one morning walked out on our quiet suburban street in south of Sweden to see a light blue metallic 911 parked outside the neighbours house. It turned out to be university friends of our then neighbour (father in the house) who studied part of his medical degree in Austria. Hence they had driven up from Austria to Sweden in the 911 to visit.

I was speechless for this beauty! That is when my car, and in particular Porsche, passion began. I promised myself that when I grew up I was going to have a 911 too. indecision

It looked like this one.

911.jpg

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

I loved cars from being a toddler, both my toy ones and grown ups' real ones indecision.   When I was 5, there was a Lotus Europa I walked past every day on my way to school - its was in black and gold JPS livery and like something from outer space.  It was certainly the first car I coveted.  But when I was a bit older, the idiosyncrasy and dependability of the 911 appealed more than Italian exotics.  At age 11 I started saving my pocket money for one and I got it 2 months after my target 25th birthday.  It was an '87 Sport model in Venetian Blue with the whale tail removed.  The sports seats were in Navy leather with Linen piping.  Stunning car.

--

Gen II Cayman S

My passion for cars did not come from seeing any particular car when young, it actually came from my passion for speed since very very young, hence my passion for sportcars, sportbikes, sportquads, and sport-anything-with-a-combustion-engine indecision

So it's started first with motorcicles when very young (8 years old? can't remember...), a miraculous invention, a bike in which you did not have to slowly move around with pedal and moved much faster! ...and with cars started parking my mother's car and driving it around the cementary when I was around 11 yrs old or so. With respect to cars my passion focused gradually on Porsche 911 because they are/were the best to be able to enjoy that passion for speed and sport driving in everyday use, reliably, with efficiency, refinement, and down right the best engineering. Managed to realise my dream of a 911, when I was 28 yoa with the 911 of then which was the 996 type.

--

My passion for cars started when I was 7 years old. My uncle had just finished restoration on a 1975 Alfa Romeo Montreal and he came to show the car. When he started the engine, something magical happened! i got goosebumps all over and almost immediately I fell in love with the whole car.  In the following years he took me numerous times to various events in that car and those were some unforgettable days for me. 

i have to add though, that both my father and my 5 year elder brother were complete petrolheads and even my mother liked and still likes cars a lot. So I guess it's in my DNA.... indecision

My uncle still has the car (and a couple of other classic Italians) and the good news is that the Montreal is coming my way in spring of next year, after he has revised the engine. 

Here's the car at an event in the Netherlands last may (click for highres)

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

My passion started late with road cars first. I was in love in the mid 90s with the Ferrari 355 GTS, especially after that scene in Goldeneye!

Then my first sport car was a 252 hp 986 Boxster S and ever since I've been hooked on Porsches. Love all of them. Sports cars lead to track days, track days lead to races and that was it, it's like drug.

Rennteam only made it worse. It meant I could continue enjoying my passion even when not driving!Smiley

Futch:

I was in love in the mid 90s with the Ferrari 355 GTS, especially after that scene in Goldeneye!

I can so relate to that, I remember that scene very well and still think about it nowadays! 

Same here. Thankfully I had a 355GTS for my 30th birthday. Also loved the 205GTi and Renault 5 GT Turbo in the day!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab

964RS experience in Monza in the 90's when so much cars limping or were trailered back home whereas we drove to the track from lake zurich - beat it a whole day - and drove with "illegal tires" back home without a hick-up. From that day-on I was hooked to the brand....

Goes way back to the 1970's for me - a neighb our had a new Mercedes 350 SL, almost as soon as the car was released, which sounded and looked fantastic at the time. Previous to that he had a lovely "pagoda top" 280SL.

My first dreamcar was a Triumph TR6, not that I ever owned one. MY "groundhog" day was when a wealthy friend arranged a day's loan of a Ferrari 355 Targa, just after Goldeneye was released. Little did I realise it but two decades later my crazy daughter did a bungee jump off that same dam...Smiley

I just wish I had a passion for something a lot less expensive!

--

Porsche Boxster GTS on order / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

I've really loved cars, especially fast cars, since before I can even remember. When I was 2 years old, my parents lived in a flat in Central London. They said that I used to stand by the window looking down at the street below identifying every car that went by. I have no idea how I learnt all their names but somehow I was so passionate even at the tender age of 2.

I spent the next 15 years loving cars, drooling over them, going to car shows, watching TV programmes about fast cars ... and, of course, I had car posters on my wall.

I passed my driving test and then continued to drive the cars in my family. All kinds of embarrassing cars - since my dad was not very good at choosing!

Since I commuted to work by train, I never felt the need to buy my own car till much later on. And then I decided to get a car as a sensible toy for the evenings and weekends so my first car was a BMW 328i SE.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

bluelines:

911.jpg

stunning colour, what is the Porsche colour code or name?

None other than Lamborghini Countach! driven by the two hot ladies in the movie Cannonball! indecision

sfo:

3PP Iris Blue Metallic

Indeed, stunning Smiley

--

I think I can trace my early leanings back to my first pedal car. I’m told I took it out on the road weaving in and out of traffic at the age of six! I recall Santa got me a Tamiya radio control car one Christmas which I spend days assembling then crashing, fixing modifying and eventually racing at a local club. First real car I drove was my fathers Rover 2000 back in 1980 (whilst sat upon his lap). For most of us Generation “X” folk in the UK, cars represented true freedom and limited budgets forced us to learn basic maintenance although modifying has never really been one of my personal desires. I still covet the RS500 Cosworth and fully intend to own a Countach one day (although I fear I may have missed the boat until the next correction)

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Believe it or not, it just happened. Maybe because it started with motorcycles. 

At age 16, I got my first motorbike, a Kreidler Mustang, official top speed at around 80 kph. 

At age 17, I got myself a new bike, a Honda MTX 80, same top speed (limited by the law for 16 and 17 year olds) but I tweaked it a little bit and it did close to 120 kph. indecision

Riding my motorbikes through rain and snow, I started to want a car. A fast car.

This is how the desire for fast cars started...through a speed limited small (80 ccm) motorcycle.

Funny...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

My passion startet  directly after my birth - my dad had a 1967 911Targa. I was sitting on the back seats for years - 20cm  in front of the boxer engine.kiss

My mother drove me to school and sports in a 1974 911 followed  by four Carreras 3.2  from 1983 -1988.

I got my DL in 1988  and on special occasions my father gave me the keys of the 1988 911 - from this day I wanted my own 911.

The dream came true in 1994 - i bought a 964RS, which was sitting at a German OPC for two years - nobody wanted  these cars at this time - I still have this car and I will give it someday to my sons.

Over the years the Passion included some more Porsches and a new love for lightweight cars from Lotus.

Now with 44 years  - 2 trackdays and one trip to the alps per year are enough for me - I have my speeding-fun with Kart-Racing every week.

Blueflame

RC:

At age 16, I got my first motorbike, a Kreidler Mustang,

​I had a Kreidler too..... but I was about 15 and was not allowed to ride on the road ( 18 years old ) It was more looking like this one Smiley ....  I had taken it from the '' car cemetery '' and stripped it completely to make it a dirt bike + had a work on the piston, cylinder and carburetor   !! Smiley

florett_12.jpg

My love started at around 8 , drooling over the Countach and anything that had an engine . Pretty soon it was mainly motorbikes as  I could actually have one , drive it , dismount it, rebuilt it etc..... 

We were a bunch of friends , all crazy about motorbikes and cars. Our saturdays were spent customizing our '' moppets '' , even building some from scratch with all sorts of difference parts found in the '' car cemetery '' .

I was driving my mother's car, an Alfa Sud orange,  at around 11 or 12 on big private car parcs .

It then moved slowly to serious dirt bikes, ATC's  when I spend a year in California in 83/84 , and then slowly it got to cars as I became 18 years old and sports bikes. My love for Porsche started only at around 17 or 18 , when a friend of mine , working in the car industry explained to me why a 911 is so special .

I just like anything that moves with an engine . Cars, bikes, boats  etc.....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Great thread. Definitely from my father. He loved cars and changed frequently. I grew up with a Fiat 124 coupe (mustard yelllow!), a Rover 2000TC, a  Mercedes 220D (car I learned to drive), and of course two 911s, a 73 T and a 77 S. What I would like to share is my memory of watching him shift gears and clutch the 911T. I marveled at his heel and toe work, rev matching, and hill holding, all of which I could see from the passenger seat. Watching him drive that car gave me a completely new dimension on who he was and our relationship as father and son grew from that time. We shared a life long passion for cars and driving.

--

"Don't worry about avoiding temptation, as you grow older it will avoid you"  Churchill

My dad raced cars from the time he was in his late teens. He co-drove a car with Giles Villeneuve and was offered a seat alongside him in formula Atlantic which my newly married mother wouldn’t let him take (the grudge he still harbors over an amount that is impressive). He drove for BMW (who gave him a 3.0 CS as a street car) and rolled a rally car with my mom in as a last minute stand-in co-driver at some club event where he couldn’t get anyone else. I was an infant at the time and that was it for his racing until I was 15 or so. Still I never had a chance to NOT be a petrolhead! Growing up we went through more than a dozen 911s, a Lamborghini P400, Lotus Europa with a very hot Gordini engine ( I remember it could do wheelies), lots of modified Alfas, a Bristol, a Bitter, the 3.0 CS and then a CSL, 2002 Tii and Turbo etc… Those were just the fun cars. As much as I love cars, I don’t cycle through them like my dad did. My wife’s had the same e-class wagon for five years, I’ve owned my 914/6 for over 20…

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Guess it started when i was 3 years old and managed to crash my dads car into the garage port, as a result of letting go og the handbrake and putting the car in neutral on a hill.

Grew up karting as from the age of 10, and from there on things have just developed. First car was a 205 GTI 1.9. Loved the car which ended as a total after a minor accident. Had a few fast bikes as well as a desert KTM when i lived in Dakar.

I have always loved the feedback i can get from a car on the track. First real track experience was a 964 cup, and have driven a number of them as well as the street RS, which til today still makes me think of buying a '92 RS. 

Today the "speed" is limited but the Clio Cup racer is a nice toy and allows me to drive quite aggresively on track. Often racecars can be driven during trackdays here in Dubai and at Yas Marina, and there are quite a number of powerfull cars getting a surprise when the 200 bhp passes or follows them around the tracks. 

A few cars a would love to drive/own, are the Delta Integrale, the M3 e30 and not least the F40. All cars from when i grew up and cars which at that time caught my interest. 

I was born with a passion for cars I think blush because when I was 3-4 years old I could identify all cars and models by name. I remember all my father's friends asking me and waiting for the correct answer. I also had a large collection of  toy cars. As a child we used to travel often to Athens and London and my main interest was looking at cars I hadn't seen before and finding out about them.

As a teenager I started reading avidly the English magazines, Autocar, Motor and CAR and dreaming of getting my driving license. I was too much into Alfa Romeo at the time because the dads of my two best friends drove Alfas (the real ones). I didn't think highly of German cars then and Ferrari was my dream. When I bought my first Alfa Romeo in London, a used GT1600 Junior, I was the happiest person in the world.

My passion for Porsche started with two stimulations:

• As a student in England, me and some friends we decided to travel through Europe by car (something old and slow) on our summer holidays. On the Furka Pass in Switzerland a yellow Targa with silver hoop passed us and disappeared being expertly driven up the Pass. Later on when we arrived at the cafeteria on top, the Porsche was there with the driver accompanied by a stunning blonde wearing tight beige jeans and a strategically unbuttoned blouse.  They spoke French. The whole set up i.e. the shape of the 911, the colour, the fast ascent, the sound and of course the woman all caught my imagination and that very scene is still with me after all these years. From that moment I forgot about Italian cars and Porsche caught my fancy. Funny but this car entered my subconscious.
    • The second influence was the Le Mans film, with Steve McQueen. I saw that film in a late night cinema in Manchester and confirmed my love affair with Porsche. I watch this film once a year at least.

Believe it or not when I think of a misfortune that could make me totally miserable, it is always something that would deprive me of the ability to drive. I also ride motorbikes and have a license to drive motorboats but cars are my passion. Many hobbies and sports have come and gone in my life but the only interest that has stayed with me from childhood is my love of the automobile. I wish my family were equally keen, but unfortunately they are not passionate enough surprise

--

"Form follows function"

Great thread this! I love reading all the stories. kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

Great thread this! I love reading all the stories. kiss

Me too Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Wow, definately feeling like a youngster here!
    I never used to have any passion for cars at all. Untill my parents paid for my driving lessons at the age of 20. I still recall the first time I got a car up to 80km/h and loved it :-)
    Some later, I started playing the game "Need for Speed - Porsche Unleashed", which got me hooked to the history and the classic shape of the 911. I had a bad time at home though, since my father is one of those weird people who like French cars, don't know why :-D
    Anyway, the love for Porsche hit home when a neighbor let me drive his tuned 944 turbo... ever since, I dreamt of owning a 911.
    Last few years I have been looking into it a bit more seriously, and even though I can afford it now, I decided to postpone it a bit, as I feel like I need to get some other financial hurdles out of the way before I start blowing money on this kind of toys :-)

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

For me it started with my dad and stories of his cars pre-kids... 2 MG model A, 66 corvette, GTO. Post kids he kept the flame going with a VW Karan ghia and a GTI Golf before he went boring with college bills to pay. With neighborhood I grew up in was good for car spotting including a 911 SC. As soon as I had the income to support it I bought a bo steer back in early 99

I think I was born with it, my mother always tells me I got it from my grandfather. I never got to meet him since he passed away when I was only a few months old, but she told me he used to custom order american muscle cars when my mom was growing up and in college. My dad told me that he was a huge petrol head and that I definitely share that with him even though I have no memory of him at all. 

But my absolute oldest memory is sitting in my dads 3 Series coupe when I was a toddler (I remember it was a golden/brown colour with a sort of rubber or soft plastic spoiler on the back) and dropping a cup full of water in the black leather seats. 

From a small age my passion grew and the key car was also an Alfa. I remember being just a little kid and the paediatrician my mom used to take my brother and I had this gorgeous metallic blue GTV. At this time he's private practice was in the same building as my moms so I got to see it very frequently and always found myself staring at it when I was there. Then one day I went to a toy store and there it was a 1:18 die cast of the same metallic blue GTV. I begged my mom to get it for me but she didn't, instead I got a 1:64 hotwheels. Well from that day I started getting more and more every time I could and in no time I was car crazy. I could name every make and model and was obsessed with anything 4 wheels. 

Then in 2008 I found a curious little forum called rennteam while looking for username and codes to the ferrari owners configurator, and the rest is history. 

sfo:
    bluelines:

911.jpg

that is a circa 1986 Iris Blue coupe... For my first Porsche, it was down between an Iris Blue coupe ( exactly like this one shown ) with Champagne interior vs a Stone Grey 944 Turbo and I chose the latter ....boring car , which I sold less than a year later for an '87 triple black Targa and have  been a 911 person since. I  want to find a vintage late 80s coupe  in that same blue  color. Don't confuse it with a later Iris Blue that was a very metallic purplish much darker blue.

I was hooked on European sports cars  when my high school tennis coach gave a couple of us rides to a competition  in his  early 1970s eggplant colored  911 coupe .. before that I was familiar with big thumpa thumpa V8 muscle cars that my older sibs' friends drove , but the thrashy whine and cart like cornering of that ride hooked me for life as a Porschephile !

So did they release another Iris blue for the 993? I'm sure Iris on 993 was much darker than this?

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Yes, there are two Iris Blue Metallic with different paint codes. The 1986 SC above is 3PP and the 993 code is L39U. As mentioned, the 993 version was a dark blue, almost purple, metallic. Very nice too!

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762975 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435641 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260660 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257672 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80976 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872548 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807977 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM