Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014

A very good friend owned a Hybrid Cayenne after his first generation MK2 Cayenne S.

He is doing 100km/day. 70% Autobahn (70 % restricted) , 25% city driving. I forgot the absolute number but he saved 4l/100km fuel. Impressiv. He loved the hybrid, no problems at all.

Itsme:

A very good friend owned a Hybrid Cayenne after his first generation MK2 Cayenne S.

He is doing 100km/day. 70% Autobahn (70 % restricted) , 25% city driving. I forgot the absolute number but he saved 4l/100km fuel. Impressiv. He loved the hybrid, no problems at all.

With a diesel he would have saved a lot more Smiley 

It all depends on how heavy the right foot is, especially in the city driving.and sure.. That's where the electric motor works best. A good friend has the Panny e-hybrid after having owned a Panny S previously. He is not impressed at all. Only if you drive carefully like driving a Hybrid is intended, you can get better milage, but only marginally. Who on earth is going to buy a Porsche only to be concerned about fuel consumption and drive it like 95 year old grandma??

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

He has to drive like a grandma to his office (traffic, speed traps). And for all the other driving the Hybrid Cayenne is much better than the Diesel (I think the Diesel S was not available at  the time he bought the car).

I wouldn't buy the Hybrid, too. But if you do a lot of city driving, need a big luxury car for family trips, the Hybrid is not a bad choice. But the Diesel S is the better choice. 

Itsme:

He has to drive like a grandma to his office (traffic, speed traps). And for all the other driving the Hybrid Cayenne is much better than the Diesel (I think the Diesel S was not available at  the time he bought the car).

I wouldn't buy the Hybrid, too. But if you do a lot of city driving, need a big luxury car for family trips, the Hybrid is not a bad choice. But the Diesel S is the better choice. 

I think if your daily commute is suited well for a hybrid car, you might get better fuel milage. I know that here where we live in Switzerland, it's pretty hard to use a hybrid like it should be used to get good milage. My A6 is also far from its claimed figures, unless I drive a long trip to the Netherlands for example, with 90% Autobahn. Then it easily gets 5.5-6 L/100km or even less, without being too careful with the throttle.

I agree with you on the Cayenne Diesel. I think Porsche is offering the wrong diesel engine in that car (and Macan Diesel S for that matter too). It should have been the 313/320hp biturbo diesel, that Audi offers in the SQ5 and the A6/A7. That's a nicer engine than the standard 3.0 V6 (I've had both) and definitely more appropriate for an SUV like the Cayenne. In the end, it still is a Porsche, not a VW.....

The mighty V8 in the Cayenne Diesel S is the real deal when it comes to diesels... Smiley

--

Suzy

My wife actually likes to have a Macan to replace her current X3 and she would be happy with the S Diesel but I want the Turbo. Now, after I told her that the Macan is actually almost as wide as the Cayenne and only a couple of centimeters shorter, it got her thinking. Of course the Macan is much cheaper but a facelifted Cayenne S Diesel wouldn't be that bad either. I wouldn't even mind the Hybrid. The Turbo is too expensive, the upcoming GTS probably too.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

RC:

My wife actually likes to have a Macan to replace her current X3 and she would be happy with the S Diesel but I want the Turbo. Now, after I told her that the Macan is actually almost as wide as the Cayenne and only a couple of centimeters shorter, it got her thinking. Of course the Macan is much cheaper but a facelifted Cayenne S Diesel wouldn't be that bad either. I wouldn't even mind the Hybrid. The Turbo is too expensive, the upcoming GTS probably too.

I actually prefer the looks of the new Cayenne above the Macan. To let the Macan look good, you need all the exterior options that are now available (finally!) and those are quite expensive options (like the Sport Design package and mirrors). Also the interior of the Cayenne looks slightly better IMO.

--

Suzy

RC:

My wife actually likes to have a Macan to replace her current X3 and she would be happy with the S Diesel but I want the Turbo. Now, after I told her that the Macan is actually almost as wide as the Cayenne and only a couple of centimeters shorter, it got her thinking. Of course the Macan is much cheaper but a facelifted Cayenne S Diesel wouldn't be that bad either. I wouldn't even mind the Hybrid. The Turbo is too expensive, the upcoming GTS probably too.

...you mean 20cm shorter

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    RC:

My wife actually likes to have a Macan to replace her current X3 and she would be happy with the S Diesel but I want the Turbo. Now, after I told her that the Macan is actually almost as wide as the Cayenne and only a couple of centimeters shorter, it got her thinking. Of course the Macan is much cheaper but a facelifted Cayenne S Diesel wouldn't be that bad either. I wouldn't even mind the Hybrid. The Turbo is too expensive, the upcoming GTS probably too.

...you mean 20cm shorter

--

"Form follows function"

17.4 cm to be precise. This is a little bit more than half the length of a 2 l Coca Cola Zero bottle. Ridiculous, especially if you realize how much more really usable interior and luggage room the Cayenne has compared to the Macan.

Unfortunately, in Germany, the Cayenne S Diesel base price is higher than the Macan Turbo base price. Ouch.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

..but it's a better car?

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

..but it's a better car?

I think that depends on the car's purpose. The Macan definitely is the more 'sportier' car of the two, but the Cayenne offers more interior- and luggage space and might be more comfortable. The Macan is the Suv and the Cayenne is the sUSmiley

--

Suzy

For me the only downside of the Cayenne is the size, especially when finding a parking spot. Other than that it's the perfect "sports" car to travel with the family (wife, 2kids and an au-pair). The Macan is not much smaller, but has a lot less interior and luggage space. Also, I really love the sound of the V8, so I'm keeping it another 1-2 years and then I'll see what's on the market.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

CityRacer:

The issue with the hybrid is its astonishing complexity. This is one model that will never become a classic, because it will be unrepairable over time. If you look back in time, one of the finest qualities of early 911s was its elegance of design. With a simple air-cooled engine it was the world's best performing sports car. 

Which manufacturer possesses such attribute today? It has got to be Tesla. With the simplicity of an electric motor, the Tesla can keep up with a 911 in performance, and of course beats it by hundred mile in gas mileage. Tesla also pioneered the button-less touch screen technology while Porsche went the other way around. 

I don't understand why Porsche continues to chase after hybrid technology instead of going full electric. Many of their sports cars seem ideally suited for the technology given their light weight. The only explanation I can think of is that they want customers to keep back to their repair shops.

Hybrid is complex, but it's big advantage over pure electric is not depending on charing outlets. Until electric charging stations are as common as gas stations, pure electric cars are still a failure. Porsche's hybrid system is pretty well sorted out, intelligence enough to be transparent to end users. Drives like a normal car which most people prefer.

The big touch screen in the Tesla is also it's biggest failure. It's one featureless slate of screen in the middle of the car. You can't miss it as it dominate the whole dashboard. There is no design element that can make a such a big slate of nothing look pretty. You also can't feel your way around the touch screen without looking. you had to take you eyes off the road to operate it, while physical buttons can be operated by feel, keeping the eyes on the road. 

--

Whoopsy:

To put it simply it will be like the modes in the 918, Porsche simplified that one to put in the Panny and Cayenne. So no hot lap mode haha. 

It will starts off in electric mode, if you foot goes down past the 1st detent, the engine kicks in. Or if the ECU thinks the battery is low, the engine will comes on to charge it. 

If you are really concern about the gas milage, then by all means plug it in every night. But the system is pretty efficient by itself, regen braking do a lot of the recharging, it also has the now standard mode of using engine power to recharge when it's not needed to drive the wheels. 

Even if the engine runs, it's only a 3 litre little V6, how gas hogging can it be?

Btw, the Cayenne will have a 10.8kWh battery, about 60% larger than the 6.8kWh one in the 918. For comparison, the Panny S e-hybrid has a 9.4kWh one. Since the Cayenne S e-hybrid will weight around 10% more than the Panny , maybe take 10% off the Panny S e-hybrid's fuel economy number? 

Thanks, good advice.  I think I'll take a test-drive of the Pan Hybrid.

The reason I'm looking at fuel economy is because I'm constantly driving my son to golf tournaments all over Southern California.  I'm tired of spending so much on fuel.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

The next Tiger Woods in the making? smiley

--

Whoopsy:

The next Tiger Woods in the making? smiley

I wish.. Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

ist not just about a few centimetres here or there. the Cayenne has far more volume as a car than the macan.

the macan Turbo i drove felt tiny in comparison to the Cayenne. and i do not feel in driving characeristics. the actual car feels so much smaller than the 17 cm would indicate.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

So, no more Turbo S?

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

So, no more Turbo S?

My Porsche salesman had no news on the Cayenne Turbo S. All he originally told me was that the 2015 facelifted Cayenne would be released as follows:

November 2014 - Cayenne S, Cayenne Hybrid & Cayenne Turbo

February 2015 - Base Cayenne, diesel Cayenne & Cayenne GTS

He didn't seem to know when the Turbo S would be released.

--

991 Carrera S Cab, Mercedes SL550, Cayenne Turbo

After literally waiting for the new Cayenne for over a year -- and, frankly, a bit longer as I am committed to waiting for the GTS -- I am now considering purchasing a Honda Odyssey and a new M3 sedan for nearly the same price as the Cayenne is likely to cost.  I have a 20 month old son and a daughter on the way next month.  My wife has a Q5, and we had originally planned to get her the new Q7 when it arrives.  We both have the kids in our respective cars a fair amount, however.  The thought is that we would purchase the Odyssey as a third car for designated baby duty, with her Q5 remaining as a backup option fo the inlaws, nanny, etc...  Under that scenario, the M3 would be my daily driver and reserved for baby duty only in emergency situations.  I am now thinking that the Cayenne may be a better option for me several years down the line once we are past the baby stage, but I'm completely torn at the moment.  I am driving the M3 / M4 on Thursday, which I am sure will be impressive.  I'm thinking that I will get more "Sport" out of the M3 than the Cayenne, and more "Utility" out of the Odyssey for roughly the same price (and frankly perhaps a bit less). 

Has anyone gone through the same analysis?  Any thoughts or suggestions (READ: can someone talk me out of this plan?)??

Just don't get the Odyssey in black, it looks like a hearse.

How much space do you really need? There are so many cars to buy before a minivan... Range Rover Sport? X5? All with 7 seats...

Our Macan turbo is big enough for us...

Agreed -- but all at a price of $25K+ more than the (more) fully loaded Odyssey at $41,500.  I suppose it is more of a price issue than a space issue.  Something about me has no problem with the kids junking up a $41,500 minivan that would drive me nuts in a $70,000 Range Rover Sport -- all while having more space and a better platform for the kids.

The new Discovery Sport will have 7 seats if this fits?

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Kids don't junk cars. Parents let them do it...

SciFrog:

Kids don't junk cars. Parents let them do it...

kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

SciFrog:

How much space do you really need? There are so many cars to buy before a minivan... Range Rover Sport? X5? All with 7 seats...

None has more room for 7 or 8 person than a Odyssey. Plus luggage room AFTER fitting 7-8 people in the car. Its a AND, not a OR question between humans and cargo.

I love my Odyssey. Best thing invented for moving 'stuff'. Went to pick up my sister and her family form the airport, the Odyssey will swallow her family of 5 plus 8 pieces of luggage and room to spare, try that with a X5, RR Sport, Q7 whatever.

--

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

None has more room for 7 or 8 person than a Odyssey. Plus luggage room AFTER fitting 7-8 people in the car. Its a AND, not a OR question between humans and cargo.

I love my Odyssey. Best thing invented for moving 'stuff'. Went to pick up my sister and her family form the airport, the Odyssey will swallow her family of 5 plus 8 pieces of luggage and room to spare, try that with a X5, RR Sport, Q7 whatever.

I can move 7 people and 7 golf bags in my wife's Toyota Sienna.  Odyssey can probably do the same.

Or, we can fold down the rear third seat completely to the floor, remove the two 2nd row captain's chairs, and now you have something which can move lots of stuff.

Very versatile.

Best thing, is for long road trips, you can just throw stuff in the back (luggage-wise) without having to worry about how much to take, or what will fit.    Just throw it in and go.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

What is that?

Marcin:

What is that?

As far as I remember, this was a Photoshop job of how the "new" Macan would look alike before the Macan was actually introduced.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Thank You RC for Your anwers. I founded this photo today when I was looking for some infomation about (generally) E-Hybride System.  Photoshop job? Of me it looks really nice and agresive (front) (yummy :) )

My fist felling, I thougt that I see a facelifting od Cayenne! THX RC!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409636 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255918 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235163 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65630 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858328 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774569 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM