Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drove it, loved it and ordered it!!!!!

Duly drove up to Porsche Centre Swindon today with SWMBO to test drive the new Boxster GTS, I've been really looking forward to today for the last three weeks when I made the appointment Smiley Kept  watching - and listening - to the several video reports that have been appearing in YouTube etc, including, of course the evo one I started the thread on Rennteam a few weeks ago. We were still very undecided on colour, so we thought we'd turn up an hour early so we could wander round the showroom and forecourt to try and make our minds up without having the distraction of a hovering salesman. By chance alongside each other they had the shortlisted colours, a solid white Cayman GTS, a rhodium silver 911 convertible, and a sapphire blue Cayman. SWMBO has never liked the idea of silver, and rhodium silver to both our eyes was just another silver, nothing special about it and certainly didn't see any hint of blue in it which some claim to see. Sapphire blue was a major disappointment, looked quite washed out compared with aqua blue we had on both the 997 and Cayman, accentuated by an aqua blue 997 close by. That left white, however also in the showroom close to these cars was a 991 in the new Carrara white metallic and that was it, decision made, we both loved it. Solid white looked off white by comparison, that in isolation we probably wouldn't have noticed. Carrara White is an amazing bright pure white, without being garish.

And so to the demonstration drive, the car was a fairly standard spec, agate grey, PDK, with standard sport seat plus, with alcantara / leather trim. On starting the car bellows into life, even with PSE off. It quickly settles down to a more civilised idle rumble. Driving away in sport mode (PSE on of course) the car is loud, even with pretty moderate throttle openings, but as soon as more power is applied the sound level rises to a real loud bellow. In sport plus, louder still, with manual downshifts resulting in wonderful rev blips and really loud pops and crackles. Truly an amazing sound, the various videos on You tube don't come close to doing the real sound justice. Under bridges, blips then acceleration is simply deafening. An awesome sound. The weather was dry and quite mild so we had roof down throughout which really gave the full high definition surround sound experience. PDK a huge improvement on our previous 997, changes both smoother and much faster, automatic blipping on downshifting and no abrupt shunts when slowing to a stop and then quickly accelerating. Everything else pretty much faultless, the alcantara sport seat plus superbly comfortable, even for SWMBO, ( she tried the 18 way adaptive seats in a 991 in the showroom and really surprisingly didn't find them anything like as comfortable as the standard offering, primarily because they don't have the tiltable squab angle unlike the 997 / 987 comfort / adaptive electric seats. The adaptives also are far more bolstered than the 2 way adjustable seats, even with the bolsters fully deflated, the 14 way adjustable sport seats would have been the ideal choice, but these aren't available on the GTS models). Ride quality with the PASM superb, handling and road holding brilliant. Couldn't really find anything to fault at all, other than the cheap plastic manual seat adjustment and annoyingly the electric folding mirrors can't be folded by remote or be programmed to fold automatically on locking, unless the adaptive memory seats are specified. So you have to fold them before switching off which then means you can't look in them to make sure the road is clear before opening the door. Really stupid, same as SWMBO's Jazz. Even my Skoda ones fold on locking and unfold on unlocking automatically. But that's about the only fault to pick on. As Reginos said this car was designed for me!! I spent so much of the test drive laughing with sheer enjoyment!!

The showroom  Cayman GTS had the normal bi-colour leather trim that we had thought about, definitely the GTS exclusive alcantara / leather is the right choice, with or without the GTS Interior pack, it makes the car feel very much more special, as ISUK quite rightly said. Many thanks to him and all the others here who made such informed and valued advice to guide us with the specification. 

In summary words fail me so Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley will have to suffice

This is the order we finally decided on and signed up to, delivery for March 2015 :-

Boxster GTS

2Y     Carrara White Metallic

4V     Black convertible top

GQ.    Black leather i.c.w. Carmine red alcantara package GTS

498.   GTS Black exterior package

632.   Bi-Xenon headlights with PDLS + with dynamic high beam

636.   Park assist front and rear

748.   Electric folding mirrors

P13.    Automatically dimming interior and exterior mirrors with ran sensor

220.   Porsche Torque Vectoring

250.    PDK

423.    20 inch Carrera S wheels

446     Coloured wheel centres

027.    Carmine red instrument dials

088.     GTS interior package

342.    Seat heating

454.    Cruise control

573.    2 zone automatic air conditioning 

583.   Smoking package

630.   Light design package

P04.    Sport seats plus, 2 way electric

666.    Telephone module

680.    Bose surround sound system

691.     Digital radio

P23.    Porsche Communication Management

....re option 583 we don't smoke, but for free you get a proper cover over the little square cubby box on the central console rather than a cheap looking open box!

....and now the almost unbearable six month wait begins.....Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS (on order) / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Re: Drove it, loved it and ordered it!!!!!

Very very nice!!! kiss Congratulations on an excellent choice. The Boxster GTS is a great car.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Our demonstrator GTS, in agate grey with platinum wheels

1409431584238image.jpg1409431584228image.jpg

1409431584207image.jpg1409431584218image.jpg1409431584157image.jpg

--

Porsche Boxster GTS (on order) / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Many congrats!! Excellent choice and configuration! kiss

i really think this car is the sweet spot in the current Porsche line-up.

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Hahaha,, you could not resist you naughty boy. You've been dying to get your arse back in a Boxy..

Many Congrats, buddy..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

Congratulation mate! Fantastic car with great spec. Brilliant that you managed to get the comfort factor right for SWMBO!

Interesting comments re the PDK. Was it pretty rough in your 911? Looking at the Getawayer review for the 997 2 Guido did not like it much either and recommended manual.

Congrats with the order DC    Nicely optioned; you add everything you had thought about for the last couple of weeks; especially metallic paint, PTV, GTS exterior and interior pack. It is an awesome car to have kiss Just 1 thing though: I would have choose red top instead of black. But this is just me. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Congrats DC, it sounds like it's the one you've been waiting for. wink

' morning all! Smiley

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated as always. SmileyYou know, I've never know fate steer me so positively, if I'd taken the BMW we had ordered we could never have gone for this car, the BMW would have depreciated so much in the first few months the gap would have been totally unjustifiable. (We'd ordered the BMW when we thought there was no prospect of justifying a new Porsche financially, a situation that changed a month after we ordered it and parted with the 997). Even selling the 997/2 early has helped as we've saved a years depreciation there, although clearly nothing like as much as the BMW would have cost us. Porsche bringing out the GTS when they did. It's almost if someone high up in Stuttgart said "You know, there's this guy on Rennteam known as dreamcar we've been following, who was really disappointed with a Cayman a few years back, let's design a car just for him to make it up for him" SmileyVisiting the showroom yesterday and seeing all the shortlisted colours parked next to each other and Carrara white metallic next to the solid white. Amazing!

--

Porsche Boxster GTS on order / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Woolfe:

Interesting comments re the PDK. Was it pretty rough in your 911? Looking at the Getawayer review for the 997 2 Guido did not like it much either and recommended manual.

I wouldn't say rough exactly, just that every so often you could catch it out, as I said approaching a junction, slowing down then you see a gap and suddenly go for it. You get a moments hesitation whilst the gearbox's "brain" is sorting itself out as it makes it's mind up then banging the gears home. Most of the time it was fine. Remember our 997/2 was an autumn 2008 car, so the very first generation PDK. Shift changes are now incredibly fast and smooth now, and the auto-blip on downshifts a welcome new feature, amazing in the GTS as it results in a bellow from the engine then these amazing pops and crackles out of the exhaust. There has obviously been a lot of development since our 997/2 PDK was built. Same with the chassis in fairness, PASM is so much more comfortable in the latest cars than it was in our 997. Just constant relentless development under the skin that Porsche are so good at. Smiley

I recall driving the 981 Boxster S when it first came out at Silverstone not long after it came out, it blew me away then, but this GTS, with the sound and all the other  little tweaks really does take the car to another level IMO. 

--

pride355:

........... Just 1 thing though: I would have choose red top instead of black. But this is just me. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Hmmm, not so sure about that somehow,, I will give it some thought....., Smiley the only other red on the car is the red stitching, yes it would bring a bit more colour into the scheme, but how that would fit in I'm not sure with all the gloss black exterior bits.  One advantage of white paintwork, almost any colour goes with it though Smiley I've been advised I've probably got a couple of months before the spec is "frozen"  to alter the spec. Only thing I am undecided on currently is red or rhodium silver stitching. 

--

dreamcar:
    pride355:

........... Just 1 thing though: I would have choose red top instead of black. But this is just me. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Hmmm, not so sure about that somehow,, I will give it some thought....., Smiley the only other red on the car is the red stitching, yes it would bring a bit more colour into the scheme, but how that would fit in I'm not sure with all the gloss black exterior bits.  One advantage of white paintwork, almost any colour goes with it though Smiley I've been advised I've probably got a couple of months before the spec is "frozen"  to alter the spec. 

--

That gloss black painted exterior bits would go just as fine as plastic un-painted black bits with red top. IMO, red top add a fair colorness and upscale the exterior. You have red stitching and evenif they are smoked, reddish taillights. With metalic white, it will give you Bentley sort of looking. Lately, I saw 2 different 991 cabrio, one is black and the other one is white which both have red top and look so much better than black top that looked like unfinished to me.

Also, have the stitching in red. It just goes so well with the GTS interior pack. Yesterday, I saw a rhodium silver Cayman GTS with GTS interior pack, done in silver stitching on black and I would prefer the red stitching in a hearth beat.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

pride355:
    dreamcar:
    pride355:

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Hmmm, not so sure about that somehow,, I will give it some thought....., Smiley the only other red on the car is the red stitching, yes it would bring a bit more colour into the scheme, but how that would fit in I'm not sure with all the gloss black exterior bits.  One advantage of white paintwork, almost any colour goes with it though Smiley I've been advised I've probably got a couple of months before the spec is "frozen"  to alter the spec. 

--

That gloss black painted exterior bits would go just as fine as plastic un-painted black bits with red top. IMO, red top add a fair colorness and upscale the exterior. You have red stitching and evenif they are smoked, reddish taillights. With metalic white, it will give you Bentley sort of looking. Lately, I saw 2 different 991 cabrio, one is black and the other one is white which both have red top and look so much better than black top that looked like unfinished to me.

Also, have the stitching in red. It just goes so well with the GTS interior pack. Yesterday, I saw a rhodium silver Cayman GTS with GTS interior pack, done in silver stitching on black and I would prefer the red stitching in a hearth beat.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

White with red soft top, albeit the roll bars on our car are black gloss.

1409474725302image.jpg1409474725294image.jpg

1409474725266image.jpg

--

Awesome choice DC, it's one hell of a package.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Congrats! The Boxster GTS is all the sportscar you need. kiss

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Congrats!! Wonderful spec - looks like the car you've always wanted :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

DC, that's great news! You have done a full circle back to your beloved Boxster, but with the new 981 spec.

It will arrive just in time for the English spring Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Thank you porker, easy & reginos. Smiley Smiley

@ reginos, there was a build slot for January delivery, but there seemed little point in taking the car in the middle of winter. As long as I can stand the wait. I'm not sure whether it was salesman's BS or not but he told me Dick Lovett's allocation of GTS models was one, sometimes two cars a month. There was only one GTS in the showroom for 1st September delivery, a white Cayman, three Boxsters a couple of 991's and assorted Panamera, Macan and Carrera models. 

--

Congrats, very nice car! A big thanks to BMW for screwing your order, what a great alternative!

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Congrats, it's a stunning car wink

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Congratulations!

Nice spec.

Thank you Atzporsche and Topspeed Smiley Smiley

--

dreamcar:

annoyingly the electric folding mirrors can't be folded by remote or be programmed to fold automatically on locking, unless the adaptive memory seats are specified. So you have to fold them before switching off which then means you can't look in them to make sure the road is clear before opening the door.

I had folding mirrors on my 981S .. you also get puddle lights at the bottom.

My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to remember being able to set the mirrors to fold/unfold on locking/unlocking using the stalk and the menu on the right dial ..

Even if that is wrong, once you close the door, either press and hold the lock button, or press lock button second time and hold to fold the mirrors.

Problem solved.

not sure I would add a red roof .. I have had 2 Boxsters with red roofs. They do get dirty and you get marks where they fold.

black roof works better IMO than red as you are not introducing a third colour going from white lid, black roof, black roll over bars, black interior.

sfo:
    dreamcar:

annoyingly the electric folding mirrors can't be folded by remote or be programmed to fold automatically on locking, unless the adaptive memory seats are specified. So you have to fold them before switching off which then means you can't look in them to make sure the road is clear before opening the door.

I had folding mirrors on my 981S .. you also get puddle lights at the bottom.

My memory may be playing tricks but I seem to remember being able to set the mirrors to fold/unfold on locking/unlocking using the stalk and the menu on the right dial ..

Even if that is wrong, once you close the door, either press and hold the lock button, or press lock button second time and hold to fold the mirrors.

Problem solved.

Well that was what the salesman told me - but I never trust salesmen anyway. Most are clueless. Smiley I would expect better from Dick Lovett though.

--

sfo:

not sure I would add a red roof .. I have had 2 Boxsters with red roofs. They do get dirty and you get marks where they fold.

black roof works better IMO than red as you are not introducing a third colour going from white lid, black roof, black roll over bars, black interior.

That's my opinion as well, sfo SmileyAt the least it would a "courageous choice"

--

Congrats !! it was only fair after the months you've spent missing a Porsche.

dc: were you tempted to go for a white and red combo? I really love that :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Congratulations Dreamcar ! What a path it was to get to this car . From abandoning completely the idea of ever owning another Porsche, to ordering the BMW , and now to getting what you REALY want !!!! Great choice . This car is at the top ( with one or two others ) of what Porsche offers at the moment in the line up 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

easy_rider911:

dc: were you tempted to go for a white and red combo? I really love that :)

If you mean the interior easy, yes it looks great, but ISUK and others are quite right, it's a good idea  to keep the GTS "theme" throughout. Seing the Cayman GTS in the showroom with "standard " bi-colour leather made our mind up. I actually think the all-red leather is too in your face, it really should be a bi-colour with agate grey or black on the door cappings and fascia top, like the platinum / agate bi-colour.

I've also gone with the alcantara rimmed steering wheel, a little bit concerned how that will hold up looking nice. I'm thinking over time that sweat / oil of hands may flatten it down if I don't wear driving gloves all the time. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691605 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410390 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256330 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235520 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65834 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4753 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858998 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775440 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM