Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 Turbo S - Short Driving Report (owner)

I would change 3 things on the above. PDK stick, sports steering wheel and brushed alu.

Nothing else. It looks very solid, very logical and timelessly "schlicht". On the contrary, I find the F interior deliberately unconventional, glitzy and unnecessarily showy. Perhaps, these differences reflect the personalities of the respective buyers 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I would change 3 things on the above. PDK stick, sports steering wheel and brushed alu.

Nothing else. It looks very solid, very logical and timelessly "schlicht". On the contrary, I find the F interior deliberately unconventional, glitzy and unnecessarily showy. Perhaps, these differences reflect the personalities of the respective buyers 

--

"Form follows function"

It is of course very subjective, but I like an interior that gives me the feeling of owning something special when I spend the amount of money on a car like a 991 TTS. I like a "below the radar" exterior, but an exclusive, luxurious interior. Personally I find the interior to be even more important than the performance. One can use the full potential of any Porsche (even the base Boxster) only a very small part of the ownership, while the interior is the place you spend all the time driving the car, no matter if it is very fast or very slow, or anything in between. It better be a place that feels like the amount of money you spent on it, even while standing still in a traffic jam. It may be different if the car is not used on a daily base though... And as always: differrent people, different opinions Smiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

i agree, that the 991 does not have that Appeal to ist interior that other sports cars have. then Porsche is very german,,,function over form.

as i am busy wit aston (havent sat in one, yet) i feel that the interior seems/Looks very posh....but then the ergomics and Technology are supposed to be a nghtmare...unfortunately. maybe Mercedes will hep aston improve in that eartment.

that is certainly what happened wth Bentley. the perfect mix between british opulence and german functionality.

what i never lkd abot the 458 and ist predecessors is the empty cener console. always feels like sitting in a fiat in that regard..

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

What are European base prices for the 991 TTS, 458 Italia, 458 Speciale? In the US a TTS is ~$180K, while the Italia is ~$230K and the Speciale ~$300K. In that context, comparing these seems like an apples and oranges exercise; of course the 458 interiors should seem more special. So, are the price differences in Europe small enough that these comparisons become more valid?

Only in the US ( and maybe the middles east ) are Porsche so cheap . In Switzerland the TTS is about USD 280 K , same price as 458 more or less 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

SuzyF:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

It is of course very subjective, but I like an interior that gives me the feeling of owning something special when I spend the amount of money on a car like a 991 TTS. I like a "below the radar" exterior, but an exclusive, luxurious interior. Personally I find the interior to be even more important than the performance. One can use the full potential of any Porsche (even the base Boxster) only a very small part of the ownership, while the interior is the place you spend all the time driving the car, no matter if it is very fast or very slow, or anything in between. It better be a place that feels like the amount of money you spent on it, even while standing still in a traffic jam. It may be different if the car is not used on a daily base though... And as always: differrent people, different opinions Smiley

Based on the pictures, the AMG GT interior might be ideal, with its German functionality and logic but also distinctive and with an added air of high quality. 

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

Based on the pictures, the AMG GT interior might be ideal, with its German functionality and logic but also distinctive and with an added air of high quality. 

--

"Form follows function"

I agree, eventhough I don't like Mercedes in general at alll. But even I have to admit that some of their recent cars (C-class, S-coupe) look quite good and are a leap forward when it comes to the interiors, especially when compared to older models.  I'm just not convinced about the exterior of the AMG GT yet. Have to wait untill I can see it in the flesh to really judge it. Not a fan of the AMG V8 sound either, but that's nit a real problem (I guess I'm in the minority anyways).

--

Suzy

Gnil:

Only in the US ( and maybe the middles east ) are Porsche so cheap . In Switzerland the TTS is about USD 280 K , same price as 458 more or less 

So, the TTS costs nearly the same as the Speciale? Wow, now I understand the complaints.

First stick shifts are now totally useless... Two leather should be standard on all Porsche at all price points. Three they could use less buttons.

Anyone who says they cannot see the difference between a modern Ferrari and a Porsche is not truthful or hasn't sat in a Ferrari lately.

I have spent considerable time in a 458 and a TTS (moderately optioned), and honestly much prefer the TTS.  Like Reginos, I think the Italia interior is filled with unnecessary protrusions and plastic parts, giving the dash, for example, a pieced together look.  Ferrari is mimicking its Formula One steering wheel and i don't like it in as sensuous a car as the Italia.  The TTS is certainly not perfect--a bit too utilitarian--but I do prefer it by comparison.

But now the F12 is a different matter.  Fabulously luxurious and sporty, at a much higher level than any Porsche except the 918.

Wonderbar:

But now the F12 is a different matter.  Fabulously luxurious and sporty, at a much higher level than any Porsche except the 918.

The interior might look good but the quality is bad compared to Porsche Smiley So you can chose...

Gnil:
    KresoF1:

I almost drop my tablet when I start reading a post here where our beloved member wrote that he do not use a/c in his 997 Turbo because it robs power?! Truly hopes that is was joking or suffering from some kind of genetic disorder and not sweating at all...

Maybe there is no heat in the middle west ? Smiley

I had the same reaction and hope it was a joke  ..... specially on a 480 HP car ! 

Sorry - that is how I roll.  Just went out for lunch - 97 degree heat - you can see where my seatbelt covered my shirt because of the stripe of sweat.  I much prefer to drive with the windows down and only use the AC when my wife is in car.  She is from Nigeria and hates the heat but never sweats.  I am an Austrian and not used to heat either - I sweat a lot but I don't mind it vs. keeping the car running cooler.

I think it is due to the 35+ years of driving 911s which typically never had good AC and overheated if you tried to use it. With the Turbo especially, I feel the outside heat robs a lot of power and the car struggles to stay cool.  Heat is the enemy of boost!  Adding the load of the AC only adds to the heat in the engine compartment so I have always avoided it.  Trust me when I tell you that I use ALL the power every chance I get around here.  I would bet I open it more than most on this board. 100mph breeze can cool off a car nicely. Smiley

thanks for your concern guys - I enjoy being beloved!

MKSGR:
    Wonderbar:

The interior might look good but the quality is bad compared to Porsche Smiley So you can chose...

Not sure about that... My experience so far with Porsche is that, although build quality is absolutely not bad, it's not as good as my A6, which was less than half the price of a 991 TTS and same price as my Boxster S. The Audi feels like it will last for 50 years and is a step up from my previous SQ5 which wasn't bad either. Porsche is certainly not any better than a modern Ferrari IMHO. Ferrari has made a big step forward compared to a couple of years ago.

That said, Both Porsche and Ferrari are definitely up there with the best in class, when it comes to build quality and material choice (the latter only if one pays extra for the full (natural) leather interior in a Porsche). Aston, Jag and Lambo are definitely behind in this area, not even mentioning the Corvette....Smiley

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    MKSGR:
    Wonderbar:

Not sure about that... My experience so far with Porsche is that, although build quality is absolutely not bad, it's not as good as my A6, which was less than half the price of a 991 TTS and same price as my Boxster S. The Audi feels like it will last for 50 years and is a step up from my previous SQ5 which wasn't bad either. Porsche is certainly not any better than a modern Ferrari IMHO. Ferrari has made a big step forward compared to a couple of years ago.

That said, Both Porsche and Ferrari are definitely up there with the best in class, when it comes to build quality and material choice (the latter only if one pays extra for the full (natural) leather interior in a Porsche). Aston, Jag and Lambo are definitely behind in this area, not even mentioning the Corvette....Smiley

Ferrari is still low quality. At least those I owned. All of them.

I read the above statements concerning the 991 being "not so special" in comparison to a ferrari.

All this made me think: I'm 53 and in love with porsche since i "heard" my first 911 when i was only 4-5 years old (1965-66).

The 911 intrigued me more and more and at the age of 16 i had my first co-drive in a 930. from then on it was a fact i 'd once own such a car.

at 35 i bought 965 3.3 , followed the 993 targa, 996 cab and 99t S cab. when a new 911 arrived i dreamed owning one and than i sold my 997 just before 991 was available. Ibought a 3 year old R8 V8 with the intention 3 years later buying a 991 S cab....

And than a strange thing happened: i had a testdrive in the 991 cab and found it a really great car, but... driving home in the R8 i didn'tt miss tthe 991 for one moment...

WHYYYYYY? was the R8 too good? am i too old? is there something missing in the 991? until recently i still didn't get an answer to this...

Now it's getting more and more clear:

1. 991 is a SUPER drive, but maybe too good , and lacking a bit of hidden monstruousity (sorry don't find the exact expression...Smiley )

2. R8 looks more special (car is 7 years and still photomodel on the streets) and drives as great as a 991.

3. the pricetag is too high in comparison to the designevolution with the 997.

4. i recently buyed and sold  a 996 GT3 (what a special drive for a 14 year old)

5. decided to keep the R8 and buy a 993 cab alongside

6. the 993 gave me back the butterflies in my belly for the porschebrand. being an "old" car it roaars Smiley like a youngster, is always eager to fight and has the really "old" interior where the 991 is too much a modern copy/paste thing.

Conclusion i still love porsche , but to make me empty my account (wich is not that filled...) porsche has to take a bigger step with the design than they did with the 991. I think they really have to bring a really "new" 911 with a 918-like dash and more expressive outside design.

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab/996 GT3

Audi R8  //  Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW/ 993 cab

beltar:

I read the above statements concerning the 991 being "not so special" in comparison to a ferrari.

I was actually only talking about the interior...and maybe the exhaust sound (well...the new California T isn't a winner in the exhaust department either though).

All this made me think: I'm 53 and in love with porsche since i "heard" my first 911 when i was only 4-5 years old (1965-66).

The 911 intrigued me more and more and at the age of 16 i had my first co-drive in a 930. from then on it was a fact i 'd once own such a car.

at 35 i bought 965 3.3 , followed the 993 targa, 996 cab and 99t S cab. when a new 911 arrived i dreamed owning one and than i sold my 997 just before 991 was available. Ibought a 3 year old R8 V8 with the intention 3 years later buying a 991 S cab....

The R8 is actually a Lamborghini Gallardo for those who don't want to show off too much. Smiley I actually would always get the "original". Smiley Yes, I know the differences but the R8 isn't really that good I'm afraid, the next generation has a lot of ground to win to keep up with the competition. No, I never really fancied the R8 but please don't get me wrong, it is a very nice car.

And than a strange thing happened: i had a testdrive in the 991 cab and found it a really great car, but... driving home in the R8 i didn'tt miss tthe 991 for one moment...

The interior of the 991 is not exactly up to date with the competition I'm afraid and the R8 interior is very close to the Lamborghini interior, even if it has many typical Audi features/elements. Also, comparing an 8 cyl. with a 6 cyl. engine is kind of impossible.

WHYYYYYY? was the R8 too good? am i too old? is there something missing in the 991? until recently i still didn't get an answer to this...

Now it's getting more and more clear:

1. 991 is a SUPER drive, but maybe too good , and lacking a bit of hidden monstruousity (sorry don't find the exact expression...Smiley )

Perfection can be a problem too. Porsche still needs to learn that.

2. R8 looks more special (car is 7 years and still photomodel on the streets) and drives as great as a 991.

Yes, the R8 looks like a super sports car, the 991 more like your typical 911 which you can see at almost every street corner. I get it. However, I'm not sure it drives as great as the 991, especially at the limit. 

3. the pricetag is too high in comparison to the designevolution with the 997.

The 991 is not only a design evolution but I agree, the 911 became too expensive overall. No 991 Carrera S or Carrera S leaves my dealership without a 135/145k EUR price tag, this is insane.

4. i recently buyed and sold  a 996 GT3 (what a special drive for a 14 year old)

Not a fan of the 996 GT3. The GT3 started to be "good" with the 997 model range, especially the MkII version.

5. decided to keep the R8 and buy a 993 cab alongside

Not sure this makes sense. Why not get a R8 Spyder and upgrade to a more powerful R8 version?

6. the 993 gave me back the butterflies in my belly for the porschebrand. being an "old" car it roaars Smiley like a youngster, is always eager to fight and has the really "old" interior where the 991 is too much a modern copy/paste thing.

Yes, I owned a 993 Targa and I get it but soon, you will feel annoyed by the lack of performance. Get a more powerful R8 Spyder, this makes most sense in my opinion.

Conclusion i still love porsche , but to make me empty my account (wich is not that filled...) porsche has to take a bigger step with the design than they did with the 991. I think they really have to bring a really "new" 911 with a 918-like dash and more expressive outside design.

The more expressive outside design will never really happen since many actually buy the 911 as a business car and they do not want a more expressive outside design. I wonder however if Porsche could not offer more "special" models with a more expressive outside design and I'm not talking about spoilers and wings. There are possibilities but without changing the base car too much.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Interesting opinions being expressed here on the 991. 

I'm completely content with the 991 TT and after 2 997s it's definitely a step up.

Comparing apples to oranges is never an easy task...

--

Peter

991 TT Cab

997 GT3

Lexus GS350 F-sport Sport 

F150 Platinum

1Gunner:

I'm completely content with the 991 TT and after 2 997s it's definitely a step up.

I never intended to make any "insult" on behalf of the 991. Me too,I find it a great car, the only thing is that, not swimming in a lot of money, I don't find it worth to pay such a huge amount on top of what i have to become a car i'd rather seen a bit more "new" looking.

e.g the switch from 996 to 997 (altough technicaly a minor step compared to 997-991) was more tempting. And the difference in pricetag was in favour to the 997 (my 996 was more expensive than the 997)

--

965 3.3turbo/  993 targa / 996 cab /997S cab/996 GT3

Audi R8  //  Audi A6 3.0 biturbo Quattro/Mini JCW/ 993 cab

beltar:

e.g the switch from 996 to 997 (altough technicaly a minor step compared to 997-991) was more tempting. And the difference in pricetag was in favour to the 997 (my 996 was more expensive than the 997)

Maybe that was a pricing mistake on behalf of Porsche, which they rectified with the 991. It is true that the 997 especially the more developed 997.2 was a bargain.

Porsche most probably have found that effective demand is such that they could up the prices. IMO even at today's prices and taking everything into consideration, there is no direct and credible competition for the 911. The AMG GT? By the time it comes out and we experience it, the improved 991.2 will be out and the Mercedes will be doing the chasing.

--

"Form follows function"

1Gunner:

991 may be a step up from the 997, but that is hardly an achievement!

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    1Gunner:

Why? Explain please!

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    1Gunner:

Why?

That's what new models are for. If it wasn't a step up from the previous model, Porsche should be very ashamed!. Besides that, I think that the on the inside, the 997 looked already 10 years old when it was introduced. Just like the 991 BTW... Same problem. Being a Porsche designer must be a 9-5 job.Smiley

Fortunately the cars drive so well to compensate that

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    reginos:
    SuzyF:
    1Gunner:

Why?

That's what new models are for. If it wasn't a step up from the previous model, Porsche should be very ashamed!. Besides that, I think that the on the inside, the 997 looked already 10 years old when it was introduced. Just like the 991 BTW... Same problem. Being a Porsche designer must be a 9-5 job.Smiley

Fortunately the cars drive so well to compensate the lack of a nice environment to drive in

The 991 was improved in terms of ride quality and uneven/imperfect road composure very significantly compared to the 997. This IMO is a great achievement given that it is a pure sportscar and that handling was kept very "B road sharp". The controversial electric steering will be further honed in the FL, if we judge by the GT3.

These changes are not easy on an already very good sportscar as the 997 still is.

As to the interior, I agree with you, although many are nostalgic of the previous style Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    reginos:
    SuzyF:
    1Gunner:

Why?

Fortunately the cars drive so well to compensate the lack of a nice environment to drive in

The 991 was improved in terms of ride quality and uneven/imperfect road composure very significantly compared to the 997. This IMO is a great achievement given that it is a pure sportscar and that handling was kept very "B road sharp". The controversial electric steering will be further honed in the FL, if we judge by the GT3.

These changes are not easy on an already very good sportscar as the 997 still is.

As to the interior, I agree with you, although many are nostalgic of the previous style Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I agree. In terms of handling, it is an achievement. On the other hand, that's what Porsche does and where the company made its fame.

My biggest problem with the 911 is that Porsche has decided to make the car pretty expensive, but has forgotten to give the car the look and feel of a car in its particular price range. I have to admit though, that the Swiss prices also don't help (although the prices in the Netherlands, where I was living previouslyare even worse).

If you have to pay around CHF 300k for a 991TTS, it's inevitable that you're gonna compare the car with other cars in that price range and then it becomes clear that Porsche simply can't match any of its opponents when it comes to providing a "special" feeling.

Ferrari 458, Bentley Continental GT just to name two completely different cars, are both cheaper, but give you a completely different feeling when driving the car. They feel as expensive as they are... The Porsche doesn't and that is kinda disappointing. It might be the best allround sportscar, but just like the VW Golf, which is by miles the best car in its class, the Porsche lacks a kind of emotion, both from the inside and outside. (Although the latter isn't a problem for me personally). 

Maybe it is because  i love the brand Porsche so much, that I want their cars to be better than they are right now. Not in terms if handling and performance, but the feeling that they provide the owner. I want a Porsche to feel very special and for some reason, they don't. At least not to me. Smiley

--

Suzy

458 Italia or Special "feel" expensive to you? Hmm... In interior quality of used materials or in overall build quality for sure not IMO.  In fact they are far from perfection in terms of interior build quality or practicality. 

Not to mention paint finish... 

KresoF1:

458 Italia or Special "feel" expensive to you? Hmm... In interior quality of used materials or in overall build quality for sure not IMO.  In fact they are far from perfection in terms of interior build quality or practicality. 

I partially agree (used materials are better IMHO, build quality maybe not so), but sitting inside the car gives me a far more 'special' feeling than sitting inside a Porsche. In fact... My own A6 gives me a nicer feeling. I use the car every day, yet each time I step into the interior, it still feels and looks good and more expensive than the car actually was. It gives me the satisfying feeling that i spent my money well. 

But like  i said earlier, as soon as you start up a 981 or 991 and start driving it, then it makes up for it. It's just that I probably expect more... i don't know.

--

Suzy

Boyko23:

Paint finish on Porsches isn't that great either... I had quite some orange peel on the rear- and front bumper of my Boxster. 

--

Suzy

SuzyF:
    Boyko23:

Paint finish on Porsches isn't that great either... I had quite some orange peel on the rear- and front bumper of my Boxster.

Blame the supplier, not that it makes a difference. Bumpers come from the suppliers already painted before assembly, according to the "just-in-time" method. I always thought that is very cost efficient from the Porsche point of view but doesn't leave much scope for a  factory quality control scrutiny if something has passed the supplier's quality net.

As to assembly in general, the man who owns a body/paint workshop that does Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari and the occasional Lamborghini was telling me that the integrity and quality of the Porsche welding and assembly (even down to minor things like the quality, strength and the number of clips used) are by far superior to the others.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    SuzyF:
    Boyko23:

Blame the supplier, not that it makes a difference. Bumpers come from the suppliers already painted before assembly, according to the "just-in-time" method. I always thought that is very cost efficient from the Porsche point of view but doesn't leave much scope for a  factory quality control scrutiny if something has passed the supplier's quality net.

As to assembly in general, the man who owns a body/paint workshop that does Porsche, Bentley, Ferrari and the occasional Lamborghini was telling me that the integrity and quality of the Porsche welding and assembly are by far superior to the others.

Good to know. Didn't know they came already painted. I guess that is the downside of mass producing such a car....

The cars in general feel definitely well and solid made (apart from some minor issues, but almost every car has them I guess). No doubt about the overall build quality. It's just that I'm kinda dissapponted by the rest. But maybe that's just me. Maybe my expectations are too high.... If I had to pay US prices for the car, I probably wouldn 't be that nitpicking. Smiley

--

Suzy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689577 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409236 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255743 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234993 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4648 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857982 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774041 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM