Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thoughts on C7 Z06 pricing ?

Of course depends on upcoming test drive reviews but for a super car with 650 hp and 650 lb-ft Smiley

Coupe -> USD $78,995
    Cab -> USD  $83,995

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Aug/0822-vette-z06-pricing.html

--
    Happy Driving

Re: Thoughts on C7 Z06 pricing ?

IF C07 Z06 would cost 120K € in Germany as base price I would buy one! 

But no. Vette prices in EU will remain incompetative.

KresoF1:

IF C07 Z06 would cost 120K € in Germany as base price I would buy one! 

But no. Vette prices in EU will remain incompetative.

More than 120k €  SmileySmiley  How much is a F-458 ?

--
    Happy Driving

195K € german base price. 

More on the Z06 from Auto week. The car is quite a bargain. 

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-chevy-corvette-z06-starts-78995?utm_source=DailyDrive20140822&utm_medium=enewslett...

Makes a lot more sense than the Hellcat, Mustang or Camaro.  My backyard neighbor owns a Chevy Dealership and would love to take my Turbo for trade.  We have discussed it many times.  Tempting.

Leawood911:

Makes a lot more sense than the Hellcat, Mustang or Camaro.  My backyard neighbor owns a Chevy Dealership and would love to take my Turbo for trade.  We have discussed it many times.  Tempting.

Careful, he wants your car for......himself!Smiley Once you have owned Porsches, Corvettes seem just too close to other Chevys. Even he knows that I bet ya.

I already discussed this with my wife - she agrees to let the Porsche go for a Corvette. What else you need as support? smiley

Lars997:

I already discussed this with my wife - she agrees to let the Porsche go for a Corvette. What else you need as support? smiley

Careful. I was thinking about the same but with a Corvette in Germany, you are risking to be stigmatized into a certain direction (you know what I mean). If you choose one, you need to think very very well about the color. Avoid flashy colors like red or yellow, even white could be a problem.

I am quite preoccupied with the idea of getting a US car now (as a substitute to my Turbo S, not a replacement...yet) but the only two cars I have eyed right now are the Ford GT500 Shelby (last production year is 2014 and production stopped) or the new Camaro Z28. I found a new 2014 Shelby with SVT Performance and Track Package for 74k EUR and a slightly used Z28 for 78k EUR. A new Z28 would cost me 98k EUR, which is just insane but the dealer in Munich (Geigercars) seems to think he can ask this price. Truth is: He has two new cars for some while now and hasn't sold them yet. 98k EUR is just way too much for the Z28, no matter how good this car is on the track. For 80k EUR new, I probably would consider one.

Like I said before, I want a US car but I want one which may keep it's value over time. Right now I'm not sure if the GT500 Shelby or the Z28 will keep better value over time. A dealer told me that the Z28 is a collector's item but I'm not so sure, even if this car is impressive. The G500 Shelby is probably the last Shelby Mustang (Ford) ever according to rumors, so this may be a good choice too. Also the Mustang can be tuned to aprox. 850 hp without much trouble, incl. TÜV and with Original Shelby parts. Not that the 672 hp wouldn't be enough, the car can barely put the power down but this is the purpose of a pony (muscle) car. The idea of getting the new Challenger SRT Hellcat has kind of gone, the Challenger just looks too big and isn't really my type of car, the proportions look overblown for a sports coupe.

Personally, I would love a Mustang Boss 302 with GT500 engine or a Z28 with ZL1 engine (and a bit more) but you can't have it all. The Boss 302, there are some nice cars available, would have been interesting too but the engine isn't powerful enough.

I also looked at the new Corvette (see photos) at a dealer and this black one is quite a beautiful (and fast) car but I just know what people would think if I drive one. A friend, his family has a huge factory and he has a collection of US cars, also owns two Corvette (one is a C06 427 with the same 7.0 l engine GM uses in the new Camaro Z28) and I know what other friends, neighbors, etc. are talking behind his back. Not nice, so this is not something I would like to happen to me, sorry. Especially since the kids suffer most when other kids make fun of them because of that. 

So now it is between the GT500 Shelby and the Z28 (black). If any...I still haven't found a garage. 

1409129285782$_27-5.JPG

$_27-4.JPG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

I know exactly what you are talking about and you know I'm in the same pair of shoes. 

I always stood away from the US cars out of image reasons and yes.... maybe out of technical reasons. The technical reasons are smaller today - the new Corvette or any of the cars you named are not peer but close enough to German cars. It stays the stigma and yes - this is a strong one.

The black Corvette looks gorgeous. And I think the "normal" Corvette is less flashy as the Z06. So out of image you should buy the "normal" one - out of package certainly the big one. 

I didnt see a dealer offer yet. I have to see - today I bought the 991 but it might make sense to put a lease behind the Corvette and being sure to get rid of the car after a while for a fair price as I don't understand values and resell market of US Sportscars in Germany. 

Anyway - I kind of get emotional seeing that Corvette picture and this tells me I must give a try - at least for a test ride. As I said before - I talked to a client about that but already here is the problem - hard to get a test car as usually you have to go to Opel dealers which dont have one. Stays the question what happens in case you need a good workshop - probably another turn down of buying such a car!

The Corvette C7 drives great, I'd say that as good as a 911 (991), incl. steering feel(!) and the interior is definitely looking different (not necessarily better) but what is better in my opinion is the speedo cluster with the digital readouts and graphics, absolutely amazing and something I would love to see in a Porsche, maybe at an even higher quality/display level (if possible). The sound of the exhaust system is really good, the typical V8 sound with a bit of raunchiness in the sound. For 80k EUR, this car is a bargain in my opinion, especially since it also carries a 3 year warranty and this is an officially offered GM model, not a grey import. You can also remove the roof (carbon), which transforms the car to a Targa model. 

Only downside: This car comes with manual only but to some people, this may actually be something on the plus side.

Speaking of manual: The Shelby car forums are FULL of people reporting burned/destroyed clutch systems and how careful you need to be with the clutch. A car with almost 700 hp and no AWD, this is a huge problem. I get the excitement, this is why I want the Shelby but if I had to choose between manual and auto on such a car, I would definitely know my choice.

Now let's find a garage...  (one of our friends, he is a doctor at a hospital, seems to have a parking space in their underground garage there and he doesn't need it...now he has to talk to the administration if he can "give" me that parking lot). There are already two GT3 parked there, so I'm not the only one who is looking for a parking lot for the 4th or 5th car. indecision My son had a simple solution for me: Buy a new garage. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

According to some Corvette german dealer that I spoke with this summer on Adriatic coast C7 will get optional 8 speed autobox very soon for EU versions.  This car will be very tempting then.

Your Son is right - buy another garage :)

Thanks Kreso - an 8 Speed, probably an ZF, would be perfect. Funny - old days they made the automatic ones only for the US and not for the European market, today its the other way round :)

RC:

Only downside: This car comes with manual only but to some people, this may actually be something on the plus side.

All versions of C7 (including Z06) are now available with 8 Speed Auto (in US).  I think it's a GM box, but supposedly shifts faster than PDK (don't really believe this).

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/...e-first-drive/

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Thing put on quite a bit of weight.

Thanks to the team at Corvette Blogger we finally get a look at the full order guide for the all-new Corvette Plastic mess-06, well everything but the price that is. As they note one of the most interesting specifications on the new super POS is it's surprising curb weight, which comes in at 3,524 lbs for the Coupe, and 3,582 lbs. for the drop-top. Considering the 2013 Corvette Plastic mess-06′s curb weight was 3,175 lbs, and 3,333 lbs. for the old ZR1, we are left scratching our heads a bit considering the 2015 Plastic mess-06's use of a new aluminum frame structure.

Thanks Grant - great news!

Timing looks great - But it doesnt say if it is a 991 or 997 and also in what mode it is - normal or Sport+! Anyway - very tempted to get such a beast! 

ok - just found this: apparently faster shifting like a 991 Turbo S!

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/08/2015-corvette-z06-eight-speed-automatic-will-shift-faster-than-a-porsche-dual-clutch-transmi...

RC:

Speaking of manual: The Shelby car forums are FULL of people reporting burned/destroyed clutch systems and how careful you need to be with the clutch. A car with almost 700 hp and no AWD, this is a huge problem. 

My dad had a LP400 Countach for a short period of time (I'm sure he wishes he still did, early ones are going for outrageous money!) and I always remember him telling me "Tires are cheaper than clutches!". 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:
    RC:

Speaking of manual: The Shelby car forums are FULL of people reporting burned/destroyed clutch systems and how careful you need to be with the clutch. A car with almost 700 hp and no AWD, this is a huge problem. 

My dad had a LP400 Countach for a short period of time (I'm sure he wishes he still did, early ones are going for outrageous money!) and I always remember him telling me "Tires are cheaper than clutches!". 

... thats a good one!

Lars997:
    Mithras:
    RC:

... thats a good one!

Indeed. Smiley Smiley

Ahhh...the LP400, my dream car when I was a kid. Saw it for the first time in a Terrence Hill movie (at the beginning) and never forgot about it. Memories... Smiley

Speaking of getting a Shelby Mustang.: Found this little baby (has all the goodies, incl.  track and performance packages) and the deal may go through this weekend. This car has no stripes, which is good for me since I could drive it to work too (if necessary). My son loves it (more than the red one), so I guess this will be it. Found a parking space near my house but not in a underground garage. I can keep the car there for a couple of weeks but when the snow comes... So I need to find a proper garage for the car over the next couple of weeks or I have a serious problem on my hand.

Btw: The best Mustang tuner (he is specialized on Mustangs and Shelby cars only) in Germany is near Stuttgart, only 160 km away from my home. What a surprise. Smiley Also, a simple pulley exchange and CAI, accompanied with some software mods to adapt to high octane fuel, instantly adds aprox. 60 horses. Not a big deal, pretty cheap and reliable. Right now, I am not thinking about exchanging the exhaust because it is already on the loud side. I have to see how loud. The stock car is already pretty fast. 0-100 kph times aren't too impressive (5 seconds flat if you want to keep your clutch OK, 4.5 seconds if you risk it and slightly over 4 seconds if you don't care about your clutch) but from 100 to 200 kph, the stock 2014 car is only half a second slower than my 991 Turbo S. Wow. This is clearly an Autobahn monster and a drift fun car, so it is a nice addition to my Turbo S, especially since most people won't even know what hit them (grey color, no stripes).

1409156042363997c19434c004cacbbfb671810e9e21e!20140629133145000.jpg

7c2795108c2a442aa398aed77d632699!20140629133145000.jpg

--

Good luck, hope you can get it and the parking space.kiss

That looks an awful lot better than the red one RC! kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

Maybe you could discover who's doing most of the talking behind their backs, and give him/her a ride,,  as in a fast ride.   

We need to chip in and get RC a Mad Max Leather jacket!

Have a blast with that live rear axle! - and real shifting!

Congrats Smiley   what a great looking car, and with this beautiful and discret color it looks simply perfect, this is the real muscle American car, lots of power, RWD and monster drift abilities, I love that Smiley what a weapon you got, it will be even more fun than your TTS, specially in winter with the rear rear end dancing all the way down the street Smiley Finaly you will start to love drifting.

But isn´t this car like the American C63 AMG you had! you love that car but couldn´t find traction enought for your driving style and you were always complaining about how useless it was to drive it in winter time! Anyway I think you made a wonderful move, this Mustang looks great, it´s the best of all American muscle cars and it´s totally different from what we are used to see here in Europe, congrats again Smiley

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Thanks, guys. I really know I do not NEED this car but I have always dreamt of an AC Cobra when I was younger and the GT500 Shelby seems to be the closest to it without having to pay a fortune. I know that Ford will offer a more powerful Mustang with better performance soon but it won't be a Shelby anymore. Right now, even 6 years old cars sell at 35-40k EUR, this isn't bad at all for a US car and the last MY 2014 Shelby may even become a collector's car at some point but even if not, it is a pretty badass car for weekend fun and I can always add to the fun by installing upgrades when I become bored. As you can see, I am still trying to find excuses to get the car, my wife still thinks it is a bad idea because I don't have that much time but my son is of course all over me and to be honest, I really WANT this car.

--

Lars997:

Support is a good thing Smiley

I drove my friends new Corvette tonight again. T top, Z51 package, 3 LT Black Leather, manual gear box. The handling and interior are miles ahead of the last generation and with the roof off there is less wind buffeting than a Boxster. The Leather makes the car smell German, because GM buys the leather interior parts from a German supplier. Even the doors fit and close with some precision versus the last gen Corvette. The cockpit and instruments have been hugely upgraded leaving little to complain about anymore.

Only negative handling issue I could feel is that it feels like it has a touch too much  positive camber in the front and that makes the front end feel lighter than it actually is, they probably do that for US CAFE mpg requirements and that can easily be adjusted. Over rough pavement you can feel body reacting slower than the chassis but nothing unlivable, it just doesn't have the precise rock solid behavior of a Porsche 911. Maybe the Z06 will, who knows yet. The steering is ok, but a touch of neg camber would make the front end feel sharper and more planted on turn in and stiffer at higher speeds. Forget the 0 to 60 times because its 60 to 110mph time is where the action is and it sounds glorious. The brakes do not have that initial bite/modulation sensitivity that a 911 has, but you could get used to that, but if you are used to Porsches you may want to look at a Z06 brake upgrade kit.  Its a good car with a lot of V8 thrills. In the US its Boxster money and maybe for the ROW LHD market its a good choice for buyers bored with 911's who want better performance than a Jag F type offers.  Its no longer a toy car and for GM that is amazing.

I cannot think of a situation where I would drive this instead of your 991 TTS. yes

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Who said something about "instead"? The Shelby is supposed to be a keeper for weekend fun, not a replacement for a high performance car.

--

What I mean is you can only drive one car at the time. When I would have a free hour (and was in your shoes) I would pick the 991 TTS over the Mustang.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691548 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410367 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256329 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235512 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65827 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4751 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858980 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775422 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM