Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2014 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

And from Reuters

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/24/us-motor-racing-prix-hamilton-idUSKBN0GO0P720140824

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

And now Rosberg is publicly saying he won't discuss what was discussed in the meeting. He is calling it a racing incident since that is how the stewards called it.

So privately, Rosberg admits he did it on purpose but publicly he says it was a racing incident. He is engaging in mind games with Hamilton. I want to read what the team bosses think.

This is truly digusting. He makes Machiavelli look like a saint.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207983/1/rosberg-refuses-to-take-blame.html

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Come on, would anyone believe that Rosberg admitted to hitting Hamilton on purpose, during the team meeting!

Probably, this is Hamilton's own interpretation of how Rosberg explained the incident. But I am sure Rosberg is not that stupid to make such an admission. 

However, if he did make such an admission he should be disqualified from the championship on grounds of "idiotic honesty"!

Rosberg is an intelligent and educated person, who would know how to defend himself better, given his wrong move.

The father of modern F1, Enzo Ferrari always had a number 1 and 2 drivers bound contractually. He must have known something which is lost in our age of equal opportunities.

--

"Form follows function"

Agreed - one should not just take Hamilton's word for it ... that's why Hamilton himself said that Wolff and Lauda would be able (but I suspect may not be willing) to confirm it.

I suspect Rosberg was also upset at making a worse start off the grid.

In wheel to wheel racing, Hamilton is quicker. Rosberg knows it and it is surely bothering him.

Who knows? Maybe Rosberg did it to force the team to issue team orders from now on ... since Rosberg has been outqualifying Hamilton for some races now. Maybe Rosberg wants the team to stop them racing wheel to wheel (which is Rosberg's weakness) by forcing the issue (that the team is suffering points losses because of collisions because the team has let them race so far).

I hope the team doesn't issue team orders. The championship fight will become dull.

--

Given this year's super-Mercedes, Rosberg knows it is his only chance to win a F1 title. A chance of a lifetime.

It is my opinion too that he becomes frustrated that Hamilton is in his way to reach his goal and more so that the vast majority of F1 followers rate LH higher than him.

Competitive sport is like a battle and in the heat of the battle the mind blurs and people sometimes do irrational things. This is what happened to Rosberg today. He got lost in the fog of this rivalry and acted without reason.

--

"Form follows function"

I'm just watching the pre-race and post-race bits on BBC iPlayer.

Eddie Jordan has just said what I have been thinking about all through the race.

i.e. that Rosberg knew that, if Hamilton got away, then he would not have been able to catch him. So Rosberg took Hamilton off deliberately while Hamilton was still within touching distance.

--

@reginos: your explanation is perfectly plausible. But I think you underestimate how calculating and premeditated Rosberg is. He pre-planned what happened in Monaco. He got his banker lap and then stopped Hamilton getting his lap. Today, he pre-planned that, if Hamilton beats me off the line, then I need to get him before Hamilton disappears out of reach.

Rosberg turned in on Hamilton (while his car was half way alongside) and he turned away (since any collision would be very damaging to Rosberg's car). But then as Hamilton pulled ahead, Rosberg turned in again just catching Hamilton's rear left tyre with his front wing endplate.

Rosberg knew that a puncture would ruin Hamilton's race whereas the damage he would suffer would be small and easily fixed with a front wing replacement at the first pitstop.

F1 drivers are fiercely competitive. Such actions are not beyond them when winning a championship is at stake.

--

This theory has some flaws:

there are 7 more races and many points to be won. The title wouldn't be decided today.

even if LH won and NR came second the points gap wouldn't be decisive

In a deliberate collision it is always uncertain who would go out and who would continue the race.( see the Schumacher-Villeneuve example). This kind of things cannot be clinically engineered.

IMO it was an impulsive and irrational move by Rosberg, not premeditated. But OTOH I am not in his mind!

--

"Form follows function"

The collision was deliberately minor for Rosberg to minimise the risk of damage to his front wing. For Hamilton's race it would be fatal.

Wolff has confirmed that Rosberg left the nose of his car in a place where it would cause a collision to prove a point that he would not give in.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/207988/1/wolff-rosberg-felt-he-needed-to-make-a-point.html

--

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115558

Rosberg was misinterpreted, says Toto.

--

"Form follows function"

Nico has no credibility given his past actions in this championship already, and not backing down when otherwise you know it will cause a collision in my book is the same thing as doing it on purpose, just with a misleading wording.

Toto is now just trying to downplay the PR repercusions of Nico's actions since they do not favor the team or its image sponsors, etc...

--

Exactly, Toto is a pussy who cares more about the public image of Mercedes than dealing with the internal problems in substance once and for all. Weak leadership is one of the reasons why the situation has escalated out of control in the first place.

--

There is no effective way to control this type of ultra competitive, egocentric and worked up individuals without a number 1 and 2 driver clause in the contracts and team orders.

If they are free to race each other at some stage frictions will arise and there won't be any restraint.

Even Enzo Ferrari and Frank Williams in his prime, some of the strongest personalities in the sport, had to rely on these methods to have peace in their teams.

--

"Form follows function"

I have a completely different view.

The accident was caused by racing and the stubbornness of Hamilton as well Rosberg has been leading to the accident. As much as Rosberg might could avoid the accident Hamilton could have done. Mercedes is giving to much credit to Hamilton - higher income and more advantages - he is clearly the no. 1 in the team. We could see this multiple times this year, just thinking about the un-respected team-order in the previous race. Hearing from Hamilton after couple of rounds already that he wants to give up tells everything. The guy is not a good sportsman and I would expect him to get punished for giving up, too. Just because you are the last should not give you the option to park the car in the pit. 

BUT - At the end its Mercedes managements fault. As Reginos says - you need to have clear leadership who is no. 1 / 2 - and so on. Also - leadership means having a  good team atmosphere among the drivers. I know myself the very best that it is not easy to keep too many alphas controlled, but that's what a team management needs to understand before signing contracts. Mercedes is just to much into the game of power and winning - even as an outsider its clearly to see that there is not much about "having fun" in that team. Have we seen lots of emotions and "fun-attitude" at Red Bull and even at Ferrari, you for sure can say this is not existing at Mercedes. They are as dry and without emotions as the cars they sell!

Sorry to say - my thoughts!

Lars997:

The accident was caused by racing and the stubbornness of Hamilton as well Rosberg has been leading to the accident. As much as Rosberg might could avoid the accident Hamilton could have done. Mercedes is giving to much credit to Hamilton - higher income and more advantages - he is clearly the no. 1 in the team. We could see this multiple times this year, just thinking about the un-respected team-order in the previous race. Hearing from Hamilton after couple of rounds already that he wants to give up tells everything. The guy is not a good sportsman and I would expect him to get punished for giving up, too. Just because you are the last should not give you the option to park the car in the pit. 

BUT - At the end its Mercedes managements fault. As Reginos says - you need to have clear leadership who is no. 1 / 2 - and so on. Also - leadership means having a  good team atmosphere among the drivers. I know myself the very best that it is not easy to keep too many alphas controlled, but that's what a team management needs to understand before signing contracts. Mercedes is just to much into the game of power and winning - even as an outsider its clearly to see that there is not much about "having fun" in that team. Have we seen lots of emotions and "fun-attitude" at Red Bull and even at Ferrari, you for sure can say this is not existing at Mercedes. They are as dry and without emotions as the cars they sell!

Let's understand the reason why he made that statement before we start to pass judgement, the reason why he wanted to retire the car before the end of the race  was to  preserve the engine. Hamilton has got one less engine compared to Rosie 🙆. The earlier he retires, the better for the engine....a ex-world champion always earns more than his team mate unless both are world champions i.e. alonso/kimi and Vettel/Ricardo

Lars997:

The accident was caused by racing and the stubbornness of Hamilton as well Rosberg has been leading to the accident. 

+1

Nothing more nothing less. Season is still long, with the double points in the last race, everything is possible. Let's hope Ricciardo keeps on driving like he does and nobody will talk about Mercedes and their drivers at the end of the season.

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

Italo:
    Lars997:

Let's understand the reason why he made that statement before we start to pass judgement, the reason why he wanted to retire the car before the end of the race  was to  preserve the engine. ....

Come on.... you dont really believe that - do you? This is just an excuse - he knew he cant talk openly about it. What annoy me most is, that if he didnt know if there would be a safety car phase or not - if this would have happen, he easily would have been able to catch up again. IMO He gave up because he was angry!

Lars997:
    Italo:
    Lars997:

Let's understand the reason why he made that statement before we start to pass judgement, the reason why he wanted to retire the car before the end of the race  was to  preserve the engine. ....

Come on.... you dont really believe that - do you? This is just an excuse - he knew he cant talk openly about it. What annoy me most is, that if he didnt know if there would be a safety car phase or not - if this would have happen, he easily would have been able to catch up again. IMO He gave up because he was angry!

I believe they were discussing this via radio during the race (hamilton with team), it wasn't an impulsive move. De La Rosa (Ferrari test driver) was saying over spanish TV during the race that Hamilton was discusing this because there is no point in him punishing the engine if he were not gettting any points, that at the end of the championship it may prove vital, he is fighting for the championship not raking up testing miles or getting exposure.

--

Member easy rider who follows F1 reporting very closely, wrote that Hamilton's floor was damaged too, affecting the aerodynamics of the car. I didn't realize that whilst watching the race on BBC but it was referred to on SKY Sports. 

If it was so, the car had no chance to challenge and simultaneously the engine might be jeopardized too.

--

"Form follows function"

Lars997:

Bingo,

my thoughts as well. What is completely left out in this discussion is Hamilton´s behavior towards Rosberg. How many times has he made some maneuvers on track that were borderline justifiable towards a teammate. How often has he taken his teammate into consideration for the benefit of the team? Some of you describe Hamilton as if he is the most charitable man on the grid but I would say not much would be further from the truth. Rosberg has established himself much better in the team than about anybody would´ve expected but he must´ve realized that a friendly co-existence with Hamilton on the team is impossible to achieve. 

I actually believe Hamilton´s move against Rosberg in Hungary, pushing him onto the grass in one of the last laps of the race, has been a far more conscious maneuver towards his teammate than Rosberg´s yesterday. Magnussen, by the way, has been penalized for pushing Alonso onto the grass at around 300 kph, also a rather deliberate move without doubt and not something that occurs in the heat of the battle. To believe Rosberg would ruin his front wing intentionally in such a fight is a bit irritating as well. Could he have played it safe and wait another lap? Surely. Could he have expected that Hamilton will defend his line with vigor? Most certainly. Nonetheless, those are the same tricks that Senna (or M. Schumacher) played in his career decades ago just that years have passed on since then. And without a doubt, Hamilton has tried to take over a lot of those habits as rivals as Alonso, Maldonado or Massa have experienced before. Here is the catch though, all this works as long as you are dominating the opponent. In too many past seasons including this year´s, this has not been the case.

Ferdie:
    Lars997:

Bingo,

my thoughts as well. What is completely left out in this discussion is Hamilton´s behavior towards Rosberg. How many times has he made some maneuvers on track that were borderline justifiable towards a teammate. How often has he taken his teammate into consideration for the benefit of the team? Some of you describe Hamilton as if he is the most charitable man on the grid but I would say not much would be further from the truth. Rosberg has established himself much better in the team than about anybody would´ve expected but he must´ve realized that a friendly co-existence with Hamilton on the team is impossible to achieve. 

I actually believe Hamilton´s move against Rosberg in Hungary, pushing him onto the grass in one of the last laps of the race, has been a far more conscious maneuver towards his teammate than Rosberg´s yesterday. Magnussen, by the way, has been penalized for pushing Alonso onto the grass at around 300 kph, also a rather deliberate move without doubt and not something that occurs in the heat of the battle. To believe Rosberg would ruin his front wing intentionally in such a fight is a bit irritating as well. Could he have played it safe and wait another lap? Surely. Could he have expected that Hamilton will defend his line with vigor? Most certainly. Nonetheless, those are the same tricks that Senna (or M. Schumacher) played in his career decades ago just that years have passed on since then. And without a doubt, Hamilton has tried to take over a lot of those habits as rivals as Alonso, Maldonado or Massa have experienced before. Here is the catch though, all this works as long as you are dominating the opponent. In too many past seasons including this year´s, this has not been the case.

Exactly +1 - After watching the replay many times (and 40+ years of F1 racing) there is NO way NR or ANYONE plans to puncture a tire with a wing!  I call BS.  Especially with so many races left and lives on the line!!!  That is just a silly assumption - about as silly as thinking that Hamilton is some type of victim.  When your #1 rival is behind you and desperate you have to assume aggressive driving and make certain you are not in a position to be run into AND you don't move to the inside with someone next to you - their car has nowhere to go but into you if they lose any traction (hence it is dangerous to pass on the outside).  He was aware of NR next to him and he should have been quicker or given more room - period.  It was foolish for LH to close the door on him - he should have given enough room for NR just for the fact that it might have been impossible to NR to move further to the left - if NR is pushed to the grass on the inside he most certainly will understeer and crash into LH in a much worse wreck.  When you are in the lead you need to be aware that others do not want to let you slip away.  LH is just as much to blame - both need to grow up and move on.

That said, the last four laps were epic when the other drivers (FA, Vettel, Botas, Mag, Button) battled it out!

Lastly - if the british fans are not booing NR he has not done enough!  Let's not forget that easy rider is out of London and given his reaction is seems NR has proven his point (that he is not a pussy).  There is certainly an art to F1 intimidation and mindgames.  I can't recall a champion who did not excell at this type of agression except maybe Kimi - but his Ice cold manner makes up for it (not enough for him these days).  The correct decision was made by calling it a racing incident.  Now lets move on.  Smiley

Leawood911:

Now lets move on.  Smiley

Smiley

Smiley

Leawood911:
    ..... Let's not forget that easy rider is out of London and given his reaction is seems NR has proven his point (that he is not a pussy).  .....  Now lets move onSmiley

Smiley Bravo!

I'm really surprised that people here could actually think that I am supporting Hamilton because he is a fellow Brit. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've said it before and I will say it again. I am not a fan of Hamilton. As people, I like Button, Webber (sadly no longer in F1) and Chilton.

I'm impartial. My only priority is to see a fair and clean fight. Whoever wins, I would like to see them win cleanly. And I would applaud whoever wins cleanly.

I think you guys who are defending Rosberg so much are allowing your preference for Rosberg to cloud your judgement.

Hamilton took the lead off the start. When Rosberg attacked on the outside, his car was halfway alongside Hamilton's car. Rosberg realised that he was running out of road. Any collision at that point would have caused serious damage to both cars. Rosberg turned away to avoid that collision. Hamilton did not change his line. He continued following the racing line.

But, when the overlap remaining was that Rosberg's front wing was alongside the rear part of Hamilton's rear left wheel, Rosberg turned in again on Hamilton.

Lauda and Wolff both said that what Rosberg did was absolutely unacceptable. Lauda said Hamilton was completely blameless.

Every former F1 driver who also commented on what happened all said that what Rosberg did was clumsy.

At the post-race Mercedes briefing, what is clear is that Rosberg did admit that he left his car's nose in that place and that he could have backed off but chose not to because he wanted to prove a point. That much is certain. Wolff confirmed this. What is uncertain is that Hamilton has taken this to mean that Rosberg crashed into him on purpose or deliberately. Rosberg is now saying he sees this as a racing incident because the Stewards saw it that way and didn't intervene.

I'm not surprised that spectators at the race booed Rosberg. People can see through drivers when they pretend they are innocent.

I think you guys should know better than to say that my view is based on patriotism. It isn't. You should watch slow mos of the replay more carefully.

This saga is still far from over. The FIA will not be intervening. They confirmed that this morning. However, let's see what Mercedes does once things calm down a little.

The team lost 25 points. They won't let that happen again. I hope they will not start imposing team orders. I hope they will continue to let the drivers race. But it should be a clean fight, not tainted by drivers causing avoidable collisions.

--

easy_rider911:

It seems to be OK to cause a collision that punctures your opponent's tyre?

I don't buy the notion that Rosberg did this willfully. Do you think it is that easy to control the outcome of such a contact? This is not Nascar; no bodywork. You run the risk of putting yourself out of the race. No one would take such a risk willfully imo.

There's a few issues regarding Rosberg's mindset that should be talked about.

Rosberg won in Melbourne when Hamilton had a DNF.

Hamilton then won the next 4 races in a row.

A pattern had developed. In a straight fight, Hamilton was beating Rosberg (remember the duel in Bahrain) and had recouped the points lost in Melbourne.

The controversy is whether Rosberg deliberately spoiled Q3 in Monaco to ensure he would get pole position. Most people gave Rosberg the benefit of the doubt. None of us would want to believe that a driver would do that on purpose, but it is unclear whether it was deliberate or not.

Hamilton lost the momentum when he had so much unreliability affecting him in qualification and in the race (eg brake failures in Canada and Germany etc).

Rosberg has suffered far less unreliability by comparison.

In Hungary, Hamilton did not facilitate Rosberg's strategy since doing so would mean Rosberg would beat him at the end of the race. Wolff and Lowe agreed that Hamilton had been right not to follow team orders to not hold up Rosberg. Hamilton said he was not racing for Rosberg.

The outcome was that Rosberg was still furious at what happened in Hungary. It's clear to me that Rosberg wanted to prove a point at Spa that he would not back off.

In my view, it was a very ugly thing to do. Rosberg should try to win cleanly, not by driving in a way that eliminates his rival from the race.

I'll try to post some analysis from F1 writers.

--

+1, NR was just "unlucky" to hit LH...given that the drivers do not see a thing on close range out of their cars, for me, it was a just (stupid) accident...an opportunity for Mercedes forgone to finish with two cars at the top...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/08/did-rosberg-admit-to-crashing-into-hamilton-on-purpose/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28922996

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28920554

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28928608

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28931224

--

Thanks and I see the point here - still, NR could have taken himself out as well, so he may have been on a very high level of adrenaline or coke zero or whatever, he pushed it just an inch to far...let us see what happens in Monza ...Smiley

One more question that should help the analysis.

If a person wants to prove a point, can this be done unintentionally?

Exactly. It isn't possible.

If you want to prove a point by doing something, you need to be doing that action intentionally (i.e. it's deliberate).

When you analyse what really happened on Sunday, the truth is really ugly.

Rosberg is not the angelic boy people have been thinking he is.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688975 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408915 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255621 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234881 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65461 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857737 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773693 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM