Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GTS

Italo:

lovely car Iain, but why didn't you order the chrono clock in red Smiley

Nice !

I have read several owner comments now about how Cayman GTS PSE sounds different from Cayman S PSE ...I wonder how they did that ? 

I agree with the spec as is, otherwise the gauge faces are , to me, a gimmicky " red , black,red, black " across the dash , and there is already " just enough " red in the interior detailing 

Awaiting you seat of the pants review on the old school " analog " X73 !

The LSD on my 987 Cayman is fantastic and it makes commuting much more fun.  Firstly, the car is so much more stable in fast corners and secondly, steering on the throttle in slow corners is always grin inducing.  Even turning into the industrial estate where I work is more fun than my old 986 which just spun the inside rear wheel if provoked.  Where the LSD has a downside is the understeer it induces but PTV as a system fixes that.

--

Gen II Cayman S

MKW:

I have read several owner comments now about how Cayman GTS PSE sounds different from Cayman S PSE ...I wonder how they did that ?

They have also added sound composer on the GTS version Smiley

One of the best sounding cars in the Porsche sports car range none the less, but unfortunately a little bit under powered, in opposite to a 991 Turbo S, which has the most power, but sounds like a vacuum cleaner

@ISUK: Great car! Smiley

More pics please, when those transit block are removed

jesse:
    MKW:

They have also added sound composer on the GTS version Smiley

Oh... the same intake ported tube diaphragm system that a few 991 owners have plugged so that they could hear more exhaust pipe sound vs in- cabin  " honking "  !

dreamcar:
    ISUK:

I did go back and forth on PTV but read some reviews of it - both positive and negative - and decided I needed to draw a line somewhere on the cost of the car. As it won't get tracked it won't be missed. The dealer was confident it wouldn't affect resale either. I'd likely have spec'ed it had it been my daily driver indecision

I'm always sceptical about salesmens' knowledge, or lack of, ever since we received inappropriate advice on the spec for our Cayman S several years ago which ended up costing me a lot of money, so I phoned the Porsche Experience Centre this morning to ask about PTV and spoke to one of the instructors there, and he said that for normal road use PTV is not essential, but for fast cornering particularly on slippery roads it is very good by minimising understeer and in those circumstances you'd definitely feel the benefit. In summary it's the icing on the cake - worth having if you can justify the cost and not buying on a tight budget. If I end up ordering a Boxster GTS I think I will include it even though I can't throw unlimited ££ at it - maybe save some money elsewehere by choosing white rather than a metallic colour.

--

Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Exactly my way of thinking. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

ISUK:
    sfo:
    dreamcar:

maybe save some money elsewehere by choosing white rather than a metallic colour.

last thing you should compromise on is colour 

I agree. Unless you are intent on driving in the style of Chris Harris in some of his online videos or are fortunate enough to live somewhere sparsely populated with very quiet driving roads then IMHO you'll only miss the extra traction offered by PTV on a handful of occasions. With so many cyclists, horse riders etc in the UK now it's simply not safe on many country roads to get anywhere near the sort of speed you'd need that extra level of grip as you really don't know what could be around the next corner. It's a different story if you intend to do a lot of track days. I never found I was short of either power or grip in the 981 2.7 Boxster I had for a year on smaller A and B back roads so I very much doubt I'll find an issue with not having PTV on a 981 GTS Smiley

Colour on the other hand is something you have to live with daily and then sell on at some point. Solid white has been done to death here so I'd steer well clear as there are simply too many used examples on the market.

2.7 base engine is very low on power down under the rpm range; therefore it doesn't even lose traction on dry tarmac. 

I don't think GTS lacks of power to brake loose the rear tires. However, it is more than adequate without PTV for daily use anyway.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

ISUK:

Our GTS just arrived at our dealer yesterday so I'll called by today to look it over and take some photo's. The sound this car makes is pretty outrageous with the PSE switched on. I'm really pleased with how the spec turned out and am glad we went for Carmine red even though Porsche shamelessly charge a silly amount of money for it. It has the X73 option but still has the transit blocks on the front suspension so is sitting too high as a result.

DSC03486.JPG

Congratulations sir! Smiley

That beautiful Cayman GTS is like the modern-day descendant of a Ferrari Dino and a Porsche 904 GTS! Smiley

Smiley SmileySmiley

Hi ISUK - how are you getting on with your Cayman GTS? Looks fantastic and I'm sure it drives beautifully with the added precision of the -20mm sports suspension. With the benefit of owning any spec regrets or high points? The GTS interior looks really special, not entirely discounted that option myself yet maybe at the expense of PTV....Smiley

--

We don't pick it up until the 1st so I'll let you know then.

My advice on spec is to pick things that are specific to the GTS model only as these will be key factors when you come to sell it on. On that basis the GTS interior pack is well worth strongly considering as replicating it on a standard car or an S would be far too costly through Porsche Exclusive for most buyers. The GTS gloss black exterior package can easily be added post delivery by any decent bodyshop at likely less cost than the factory option should you regret not ordering that. I think my dealer quoted me £100 to paint the side intakes in gloss black for example.

ISUK:

My advice on spec is to pick things that are specific to the GTS model only as these will be key factors when you come to sell it on. On that basis the GTS interior pack is well worth strongly considering as replicating it on a standard car or an S would be far too costly through Porsche Exclusive for most buyers. The GTS gloss black exterior package can easily be added post delivery by any decent bodyshop at likely less cost than the factory option should you regret not ordering that. I think my dealer quoted me £100 to paint the side intakes in gloss black for example.

Thanks ISUK - sound advice as always, much appreciated. Smiley Look forward to reading your GTS impressions in due course Smiley

--

I would spec the car the way YOU want it, not the key factors when you come to sell it. Is the car for you or for the next owner? 

I never got this obsession with the "correct" options for the resale. You buy a car which is not quite what you want, but once you part with it at least the next owner is happy. Eh?

Truth is, some deviated stitching or painted plastic parts will make close to zero impact on resale on these cars. You get one tenth back on the options. I had some "special" options on my previous Porsches and not one single time did anyone care about these options so much that they were willing to pay up. Milage and condition will count. The rest is written off the first time you stick the key in the lock indecision

So get what you want, avoid regrets and enjoy it every day! wink

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

^^^  +1 kiss

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

We don't intend to make the same mistake that we did with our Boxster S ( by not keeping it for much longer than we did) - so we want to get the spec right (as we did with that car) but this time a long time keeper, so residual values are not at the forefront of our considerations - if they were we would never ever buy a new car in the first place. Even a Porsche will lose 20% of its value the minute you drive off the forecourt. I  do think that it's as well to consider resale to a certain extent though, even if we could justify the expense we would never have paint to sample for example, that is just setting fire to money.  

We would have really loved to do the factory collection again, which we did with the Boxster, but I am told that Porsche have indefinitely suspended this option, which is a great shame.

Apologies to ISUK for veering his Cayman GTS thread a bit off topic....Smiley

--

ISUK:

Or you can also have it wrapped by gloss black folio.

I complately agree with Iain on this. Interior is almost impossible to do. Exterior is easy and cheaper.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Don't worry about wandering off topic on my account. I am not exactly known for being reticent on rifling through the options list myself so was trying to show some common sense restraint for once Smiley

ISUK:

Don't worry about wandering off topic on my account. I am not exactly known for being reticent on rifling through the options list myself so was trying to show some common sense restraint for once Smiley

Thanks for your tolerance Iain Smiley I can see a bit of coin-tossing going on - heads = White, tails ='sapphire blue....Smiley

FYI - GTS interior gets SWMBO's vote though...Smiley

--

red or silver stitching ? I think that red stands out more (over time) than silver, which IMO could be mistaking as "ordinary" stitching...(ok, I have to admit, I like the red more than the silver...)

d997h:

red or silver stitching ? I think that red stands out more (over time) than silver, which IMO could be mistaking as "ordinary" stitching...(ok, I have to admit, I like the red more than the silver...)

Silver - I think.......Smiley Certainly red with red exterior such as ISUK's Cayman, but we're having either white or blue, unless I can convert SWMBO to rhodium silver, in which case silver would look best IMO, especially with rhodium silver paint. 

--

Here is Rhodium, without the GTS exterior package, and the standard fit Carrera S wheel in optional platinum finish on sports suspension judging by the ride height kiss

Rhodium 2.JPG

Many thanks ISUK Smiley Superb colour although SWMBO thinks it's unlucky as both of us had "incidents" in silver cars over the years. If I pushed for rhodium and we later had an incident it would be my fault even if it wasn't...Smiley

We'd stay with the standard wheel finish though.

Veering back to your Cayman spec I see you've opted for the leather steering wheel rather than the Alcantara, I've heard that Alcantara steering wheel rims can be difficult to keep looking good over time. Smiley I'm sure the seats will be fine, my Skoda has Alcantara inserts and they are as good as new 23,000 miles on.

--

ISUK:

Here is Rhodium, without the GTS exterior package, and the standard fit Carrera S wheel in optional platinum finish on sports suspension judging by the ride height kiss

Smiley Smiley Smiley

That is one gorgeous machine! Smiley I think I need to get another garage space soon Smiley

--

dreamcar:

...SWMBO thinks it's unlucky as both of us had "incidents" in silver cars over the years. If I pushed for rhodium and we later had an incident it would be my fault even if it wasn't...Smiley

"There have been various studies over the years into the correlation between car colour and accident rates, and black cars almost always top the car crash index. One study concluded that black cars are 47% more likely to be involved in road accidents than vehicles of other colours. White, gold, and yellow are deemed to be the safest.

It’s not an exact science, but research using police data of more than 850,000 accidents over 20 years suggests that some shades are more visible on the road than others. Black vehicles, for example, are harder to see as they do not always stand out against the road or background scenery.

During daylight hours, black cars were up to 12% more likely be involved in crashes than white vehicles. At dawn and dusk when the light is poor, the figure rose to 47%. The visibility of grey, silver, red and blue cars can also be poor.

A study in New Zealand also looked at the link between car colour and accident rates. It too concluded that black cars were the most accident prone. But it found that silver was the safest colour – contradicting the other research."

Found on the net.

Smiley

--

Auto Express review of the Cayman GTS

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche/cayman/88338/porsche-cayman-gts-2014-review

"Specify your Cayman GTS like ours and you won’t find anything this side of a Caterham that’s close in terms of fun."

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

bluelines:
    But it found that silver was the safest colour – contradicting the other research."

Found on the net.

Smiley

This is because silver makes any car look SO good that it catches everybody's attention and it turns heads!

No need to mention that silver is my favourite colour Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    bluelines:
    But it found that silver was the safest colour – contradicting the other research."

Found on the net.

Smiley

This is because silver makes any car look SO good that it catches everybody's attention and it turns heads!

Smiley

--

reginos:
    bluelines:

Found on the net.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I remember your magnificent GT Silver 997/2 from our visit to Cyprus last Christmas reginos!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:
    bluelines:

Found on the net.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I remember your magnificent GT Silver 997/2 from our visit to Cyprus last Christmas reginos!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

It is waiting for your next visit Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    dreamcar:
    reginos:
    bluelines:

Found on the net.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Would love to take you up on that reginos Smiley Smiley Sadly SWMBO's daughter and family are leaving Cyprus in a few weeks time, son-in-law has promotion to a posting in Herford, Germany for a few months before they return to the UK. Of course should you come to the UK at any time we would be delighted to return your kind hospitality Smiley I'm sure we will return to your lovely island at some time though. 

--

dreamcar:
    reginos:
    dreamcar:
    reginos:
    bluelines:

Found on the net.

Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

Would love to take you up on that reginos Smiley Smiley Sadly SWMBO's daughter and family are leaving Cyprus in a few weeks time, son-in-law has promotion to a posting in Herford, Germany for a few months before they return to the UK. Of course should you come to the UK at any time we would be delighted to return your kind hospitality Smiley I'm sure we will return to your lovely island at some time though. 

I thought they were staying longer here.  We'll definitely meet again either here or in the UK kiss

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I thought they were staying longer here.  We'll definitely meet again either here or in the UK kiss

So did we and they - but he was offered an unexpected promotion if he accepted the posting in Germany so reluctantly - as they loved their time in Cyprus - a dream posting - and they were due to be posted next spring anyway. Stilll one upside - if we get a GTS then it will give us the chance of a nice run to see them! Smiley

As Vera Lynn sang - "We'll meet again" Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763554 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436012 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260819 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257778 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82563 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

873156 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808348 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM